Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Track Talk: Too Much Blood
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 5, 2015 10:30

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Too Much Blood

Written by: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Mick Jagger: Vocals, electric Guitar
Keith Richards: Electric guitar
Jim Barber: Electric guitars
Bill Wyman: Bass
Charlie Watts: Drums
CHOPS: Horns
Sly Dunbar: Percussion

Recorded:
EMI Studios Paris France
Compass Point Studios Nassau Bahamas
October & November 1982

I want to dance, I want to sing
I want to bust up everything
To make some love
And make some love

I can feel it in the air
Feel it up above
Feel the tension everywhere
There is too much blood
Too much blood, well alright

Everything you see
On the movie screen is tame
Everything's gonna be arranged

A friend of mine was this Japanese. He had a girlfriend in
Paris. He tried to date her in six months and eventually she
said yes. You know he took her to his apartment, cut off her
head. Put the rest of her body in the refrigerator, ate her
piece by piece. Put her in the refrigerator, put her in the
freezer. And when he ate her and took her bones to the Bois de
Boulogne, by chance a taxi driver noticed him burying the
bones. You don't believe me? Truth is stranger than fiction.
We drive through there every day.

Be number one, yeah
And have some fun

I can feel it everywhere
Feel it up above
Feel the tension in the air
There is too much blood, too much blood
Too much, yeah too much blood, alright

Did you ever see 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre'? Horrible, wasn't
it? You know people ask me: it is really true where you live
in Texas, it is really true what they do around there, people?
I say, "yeah everytime I drive through the crossroads I get
scared there's a bloke running around with a @#$%& chain
saw. Oh oh no, gonna, oh no. Don't saw off me leg, don't saw
off me arm." When I get to the movies, you know I'd like to
see something more romantic, you know. Like 'An Officer and a
Gentleman' or something. Something you can take the wife to,
you know what I mean?

Yeah!

And have some fun
And make some love

I can feel it everywhere
Feel it up above
Feel the tension in the air
There is too much blood, too much blood
Oh yeah

Pretty ladies, don't be scared

Pretty ladies, don't despair
There's still so much love
Pretty ladies, don't despair
Too much, too much, yeah
Too much blood, too much blood
Too much too much blood, too much blood
Too much blood, too much blood............

Produced by: The Glimmer Twins and Chris Kimsey

First released on: Rolling Stones Undercover (LP). November 7, 1983 CUN 1654361

Label: Rolling Stones Records

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-12 10:39 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Too Much Blood (New)
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 5, 2015 10:49

I love it. One last single from the real
Stones.

Date: October 5, 2015 10:54

Mathijs found a few licks in there that Keith supposedly played, but I'm still not 100 percent convinced he is on the track.

I better give it another 20 years of listening before I conclude smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 11:03

the backing track sounds like it's from "miami vice" and the lyrics could have been written by a 15 year old.

absolute rubbish.

i actually remember it as being better, but went back and listened to it, and made my review worse after doing so lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 11:04 by Turner68.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 5, 2015 11:05

Hilarious and you can dance to it!

Date: October 5, 2015 11:10

this track is almost as good.

Date: October 5, 2015 11:12

I know that the opinions differ on this song.....but I love it....I think they manage to give the song a lot of tension...actually they really got you inciting to bust up everything confused smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 11:57

Gruesome. Bad. The Miami Vice reference is so true, Turner68! And NOT in a good way.

Rod

Date: October 5, 2015 12:16

It's funny, funky and catchy. What's not to like? thumbs up

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 5, 2015 12:26

Well, after all the tasty carnal brutality on Side 1 of Undercover, this track continues the gore-fest on Side 2. It’s definitely got a good beat and Mick’s “rapping” is quite amusing, but let’s be honest, it ain’t the best track on the album. Enjoyable it certainly is, but also a bit perfunctory despite all the blood spattering. However, as others here have pointed out, Undercover is greater than the sum of its parts, and Too Much Blood somehow adds to this great album's overall impact.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 11:56 by drewmaster.

Date: October 5, 2015 12:33

The only - is that this part of the song will stick in my mind repeatedly ;o(

And have some fuuuuuuuuuun................

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 5, 2015 12:45

That verse IS catchy, Nicos!

Drew

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 5, 2015 13:02

I like it but we’re now in the 80s and the age of the producers and re-mixers is upon us, chipping away and changing the original sounds made by the Stones in the studio. This is very much Mick’s baby and I too doubt Keith had too much to do with it.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 14:34

I know lots of people love this.......

The chorus is great but that's about it for me.

I have tried to like it......I even bought the Arthur Baker remix after Martin Elliot (I think) raved about it.

That didn't do anything for me either.

Still, I do like the album it came from.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:01

Another track that proves The Stones wanted to push themselves forward.
I like the track, because it's so wierd. Thank goodness they did a track like this, instead of 'Where The Boys Go, part 21'.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:08

Turner68's Miami Vice reference was an apt one... the 80's, babe!grinning smiley

UNDERCOVER has a certain reputation that it is a very 'experimental' album - a myth largely, because the actual experimentalism is a question of a few tracks, and most of the stuff is rather traditional Stones material; for me it more like the last triumph of jam-based Pathe Marconi sessions if anything else.

However, if tehre is any track that sounds totally different than they had ever done before, that's "Too Much Blood". Even "Undercover of The Night", if we take the make-up, flavor of the month production gimmicks out, is musically a rather basic blues-based Stones tune. But "Too Much Blood" is novel all the way trough, the band far out from their safe zone (though it belongs to the 'dance-section' of, say, "Hot Stuff", "Miss You", Dance", "Emotional Rescue"). It sounds a song Jagger really tested his old band if they were still able come up with something 'totally different' to fit to the times. A pretty radical experiment in that sense, and who knows how satisfied Jagger was with the results.

Maybe for that reason, "Blood" was the tune I less liked at the time when I wholeheartidly loved and admired the album. Today I would rate it one of the most interesting tunes in a rather mediocre album, but, to be honest, I can't truely say that I wholeheartidly enjoy when I listen to it. It is well crafted, played, produced, as a kind of representation of its time, but as a song. musically, it should be a bit better to be really memorable. The rap part is somehow okay, but there is something in that main melody and its lyrical content I just find a bit irrating. But otherwise I kind of pervertly like the soundscape of it. It is just so pure... Miami Vice...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:15

Very nice track. thumbs up

Date: October 5, 2015 15:20

It's written round the bass riff, just like ER is, Doxa. The main difference is that Barber (the roadie) played that picking on it + the whammy bar tricks, and the rapping. Apart from that, there's nothing new to this track other than the production, imo.

If there's anything new on Undercover it's Feel On Baby, where new atmospheres and moods are created beautifully.

Break down Too Much Blood and Emotional Rescue to their respective bass riffs, and you'll find that they're close cousins indeed smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:24

This song is not my every day´s cup of tea. After hearing it for the first time I thought to myself what a piece of crap this is... part of it is catchy indeed but overall it is very "Stones-unlike", seems like Mick was already preparing for his solo-attempts.
A very unusual track and, imo, also the weakest on the album.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:36

Well, obviously one of the major tracks from the Undercover album. Interesting for the word 'blood' in the title/chorus, and Jagger's little bit of dialogue and plug of the film 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre.' They needed an up tempo song and similar to 'Undercover of the Night' to lead off the second side, and this suffices. It's very energetic and attention getting, but musically not the best they've ever done of course.

It sounds like it could've been an OK dance song minus the lyrics.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:48

An abysmal Jagger solo track that almost buries a good album. I loath it. One of their worst songs and Jagger's catcalling becomes almost unbearable.

Posted by: SackofBrokenEggs ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:01

dont saw off me leg

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:11

This song is nothing more than a 'Super-Filler'....smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:43

DandelionPowderman
It's written round the bass riff, just like ER is, Doxa. The main difference is that Barber (the roadie) played that picking on it + the whammy bar tricks, and the rapping. Apart from that, there's nothing new to this track other than the production, imo.

If there's anything new on Undercover it's Feel On Baby, where new atmospheres and moods are created beautifully.

Break down Too Much Blood and Emotional Rescue to their respective bass riffs, and you'll find that they're close cousins indeed smiling smiley
thumbs upthumbs up

Feel On is the best song on the album. And the dub version is even better. Great music to bonk to as well! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:46

DandelionPowderman

Okay, if there is nothing creatively new under the sun, let it be so. A typical Stones track. I can live with the whole UNDERCOVER being nothing but the same old shit flavored by some studio gimmicks of the day. That what I've been saying for ages...grinning smiley

But I guess the 'gimmicks' in question ("Blood") make such a huge impression to me that even though the substance being same old, same old, sounds rather unique compared to anything they had done prior that (except that loose connection to the dance family type of songs - which, most of them, are bass-based - I mentioned earlier). For me a 'song' is a result of all the sounds put together, and in this case the band really drifting rather far from their home shore. But that's just me.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 16:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 5, 2015 17:29

Love the song, love the album.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 17:31

I had Video Rewind before I had the Undercover album - and before I became a 'proper' Stones fan - so I originally got to know the song through its rather amusing video.

I couldn't actually make out whether this was an official 'song' or just some little extra jokey thing that they set to film - maybe because they had a few quid left over from the Undercover of the Night shoot.

I quite like it now - but if you had to pick 10 Stones songs that the world could live without, I think this would be one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 17:32 by Roll73.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:04

This song to me is a realization of the idea that a song on an album that is not necessarily the best individual track, in some cases may contribute more to making that album becoming great than many a straightforward very good song. The greatness that "Too Much Blood" imparts to UNDERCOVER, in the next instance is reflected back to "Too Much Blod" as individual track of the album. It emerges as an important track of UNDERCOVER. That is, an album is more than a collection of individually aspiring best songs. As such, I hail "Too Much Blood" in itself isolated as highly interesting song with its subjectmatter, and I immensely like and love the effect of what the song transfers to this great album.

Date: October 5, 2015 20:09

If they had just put the Miami vice theme song on the album and dubbed some mock vocals about chopping people up would it have the same effect?

The Miami vice theme song actually has more guitar I think lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 20:11 by Turner68.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:23

The funkier type of numbers are either hit or miss for me. Although far better than Back To Zero, Too Much Blood is still a miss. Another example of the funky type of number that is a 'hit' for me.. is Mick's solo Sweet Thing, which I think is fantastic!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home