Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9
Re: Jack White as Stones Producer
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 4, 2015 11:39

We want Jack White as new Stones producer! C'mon Mick!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 4, 2015 11:55

Did they acutally had a meeting in Nashville or is it all rumour?

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: October 4, 2015 13:03

Yes - Go for Jack, please!
IT should be a rough and dirty Garage-Blues Album.
No more boring smooth Keith Ballads or clean Jagger popsongs, please.
Mick on harp on many many songs! Jack could ad some slide guitars! Please do Boogie, Hard and heavy Chicago Blues style. Many different Blues styles as possible, please! A real back to the roots Album! No modern gimmicks!

Date: October 4, 2015 13:04

Date: October 4, 2015 13:06

frtg55
Yes - Go for Jack, please!
IT should be a rough and dirty Garage-Blues Album.
No more boring smooth Keith Ballads or clean Jagger popsongs, please.
Mick on harp on many many songs! Jack could ad some slide guitars! Please do Boogie, Hard and heavy Chicago Blues style. Many different Blues styles as possible, please! A real back to the roots Album! No modern gimmicks!

thumbs up

I want this guy to produce next Stones album:
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-04 13:22 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 4, 2015 14:24

Hope JW doesn't come anywhere near the Stones in a recording studio.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: October 4, 2015 14:55

audun-eg

You're afraid he can do a good work?! He's surely better than Don 'muffled sound' 'anti -groove' Was!! cool smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 4, 2015 17:26

I really don't have any problem when a fresh wind will blow into Stones songs, as long as they sound like the Stones (which hardly is in possible when Mick sings and Keith plays the guitar) I hope it will sound clear and not to fluffy ........go on JW

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 4, 2015 17:46

KRiffhard
audun-eg

You're afraid he can do a good work?! He's surely better than Don 'muffled sound' 'anti -groove' Was!! cool smiley

What's muffled on "Voodoo Lounge" and "Bridges To Babylon"?
I think those sound great.
"A Bigger Bang" sounded crap but that was due to the brickwalled mastering.

I'm not arguing with you or saying you're wrong by the way, I'm genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts. Cheers, Vudicus.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 4, 2015 18:57

KRiffhard
I want this guy to produce next Stones album:
[m.youtube.com]

thumbs up That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing KRiffhard. Not sure Jack's going to teach Charlie any new tricks but you never know.

Date: October 4, 2015 19:24

vudicus
KRiffhard
audun-eg

I'm not arguing with you or saying you're wrong by the way, I'm genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts. Cheers, Vudicus.

Both of those albums sound somewhat cold to my ears, especially B2B. The mix is fine, there is a sterility to the instruments that I don't like.

I'm pretty sure it's the mix that sucks on ABB. The vinyl without brickwalled mastering (vinyl is always mastered at lower volumes and with more room for dynamics) sounds just as bad as the cd/downloads.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 4, 2015 19:43

Don Was´ production is too clean, the Stones need "dirt" in their sound. I think Don Was has taken the "dirtyness" away. Micks voice is too up-front on VL and BTB. ABB is a sonic catastrophe, unfortunately.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 4, 2015 19:52

So whats so great about his production? 3 pages and nobody says why. Because he sucks.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 4, 2015 19:58

This album will be World War Three again
Can you imagine Keith's ego on a high from Crosseyed Heart coupled with Micks giant, dented, insecure ego lol
Usually Keith just lets Mick rule the roost, but now all hell will break loose sad smiley

Just thinking about it makes me laugh, these old men in their 70's arguing about every nuance hehe. Who in their right mind would want to produce and get in the middle of that.
Mick says to keef, " Keef i want a Taylor Swift Duet on the album, Keith says " No way Mick its got to be Aretha Franklin " HAHA

It will be Don Was again, you watch winking smiley

Date: October 4, 2015 20:01

HMS
Don Was´ production is too clean, the Stones need "dirt" in their sound. I think Don Was has taken the "dirtyness" away. Micks voice is too up-front on VL and BTB. ABB is a sonic catastrophe, unfortunately.

I think most the dirt you are seeking must come from the original instruments and vocals. Only so much can be done in the production stage. But I agree, I also like the records where Mick's voice is more buried in the context of the music, when it is so out front it's hard to get past it and unless it's a really good vocal take, it often detracts from the overall listening experience unfortunately. The best stuff on Exile has the perfect vocal mix, the worst stuff on ABB is a disaster as you point out. It's really hard to evaluate new Stones music objectively since we are all comparing it to the best of their golden stuff, what a curse!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 4, 2015 20:06

Naturalust
HMS

I think most the dirt you are seeking must come from the original instruments and vocals. Only so much can be done in the production stage. But I agree, I also like the records where Mick's voice is more buried in the context of the music, when it is so out front it's hard to get past it and unless it's a really good vocal take, it often detracts from the overall listening experience unfortunately. The best stuff on Exile has the perfect vocal mix, the worst stuff on ABB is a disaster as you point out. It's really hard to evaluate new Stones music objectively since we are all comparing it to the best of their golden stuff, what a curse!

yes NL your right on again here
I hear my wife say time and time again that she loves the Stones msic but in recent years she cant handle hearing Mick's voice so high in the mix
It spoils the recent albums for me too.
But alas this is Mick's ego getting in the way of creativity again.

Date: October 4, 2015 20:17

keefriffhards
Naturalust
HMS

yes NL your right on again here
I hear my wife say time and time again that she loves the Stones msic but in recent years she cant handle hearing Mick's voice so high in the mix
It spoils the recent albums for me too.
But alas this is Mick's ego getting in the way of creativity again.

Who knows what role Mick's ego plays into it. The trend for upfront vocals in popular music has been around for a long time. Even those old records where he was lower in the mix was a bit a a departure from the norm. But...

There is also an element of very precise EQ'ing available in modern mixing equipment, where people use narrow band EQ's to give each instrument and vocal their own specific frequency range. Popular engineers pride themselves at being able to do this in order to make "clear" mixes. In the old days there was a lot less separation and getting a good sounding mix involved much different techniques that are used today. I think this is part of what we are hearing on modern Stones mixes. Mick may just sound better when he is sharing the sonic spectrum with some of the instruments and our ears aren't so drawn to his voice in a way we can't escape.

Date: October 4, 2015 20:29

vudicus
KRiffhard
audun-eg

All his works are characterized by a too clean, muffled, sterilized, almost irritating sound. Listen to Ziggy Marley's 'Wild and Free' or Zucchero 'Sugar' Fornaciari's 'Chocabeck'; it's all too perfect and cold, it seems that instruments sound are 'filtered'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-04 20:31 by KRiffhard.

Date: October 4, 2015 20:30

HMS

thumbs up

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 4, 2015 20:39

The last line of the Daily Mail story may hold the answer--the same one that says MJ is in the US for the filming of the HBO series Vinyl, of which he is a producer. JW and Third Man Records are all about vinyl, and thus are probably featured. So that may be what this is all about. It's possible JW is a co-producer, also.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3258936/CHARLOTTE-GRIFFITHS-S-IRRESISTIBLE-SOCIAL-DIARY-Jagger-s-not-Bowling-Stone.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-04 20:42 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 4, 2015 21:38

Naturalust
24FPS
Only 4 negatives against a sea of positives. I can see Don Was playing bass for the Stones on a Jack White produced record. Anyone but Darryl, unless somebody shows him how to play emotional, rock based bass finally. I'm hoping they would let Jack bring some new instrumentalism to a Stones record. He knows some fine, fine piano players that could bring a new dimension to the Stones, and not just mild echoes of past triumphs.

Jack blew it at the Beacon. His voice was terrible, I think from nerves. But there's no denying he has the blues roots. He doesn't have to contribute his Zepplinesque guitar playing. Just bring the right vibe.

Perhaps we will see Keith or Ronnie on bass on a track or two. Keith mentioned how much he loves it in the recent documentary. I've got the feeling the Stones want to make this last one all their own and give the guys like Chuck and Darryl whom they've been working with for years first crack at the piano and bass parts.

Well, that's a recipe for the same old s&^t.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:23

would be an interesting collaboration...interesting too that KR went down in a low key trip almost 2 years ago..and now MJ....who knows?..maybe they gave him ( Jack W) a project to see what he'd come up with before committing the band/ whole record to him...

Date: October 6, 2015 16:28

We put up with Don 'muffled sound' Was since 1994...why not try with a talented artist like Jack White?! Let's try!

Posted by: StonesNYc ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:35

Anyone over Don Was. The worst sounding Stones albums of all time.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:42

I love the idea. JW or Dan Auerbach would probably do a more than OK job if the Stones let them do their jobs. I hope that at least the rumors of a new album are true. Even if it won't be a masterpiece I am sure that I'll like it. Come on it's the Stones, their 20th best album will still be better than most other modern music out there!

Date: October 6, 2015 16:52

StonesNYc
Anyone over Don Was. The worst sounding Stones albums of all time.

thumbs up

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 18:14

+ 1 together with Steve Lillywhite thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 6, 2015 18:42

Bring it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 18:58

Go for it! What are they afraid of at this point? Let's get that one last great Stones album we all want.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 6, 2015 19:02

ohotos
I love the idea. JW or Dan Auerbach would probably do a more than OK job if the Stones let them do their jobs. I hope that at least the rumors of a new album are true. Even if it won't be a masterpiece I am sure that I'll like it. Come on it's the Stones, their 20th best album will still be better than most other modern music out there!

I would prefer Auerbach, what he did with Dr. John was fantastic plus many other recent stuff including the Arcs. Boy would that ramp up the JW Dan Auerbach feud…lol

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 3 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home