Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: Jack White as Stones Producer
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 3, 2015 19:08

There are rumors everywhere and there are no denials! Fingers crossed!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2015 19:28

I'm indifferent towards the notion...lot's of variables involved here including Mick's already prepared large batch of demo's,
Keith's input (or lack thereof), backup musicians/vocalists, etc., and how Jack White will be able to handle the huge responsibility.
There's lots of things in favor of it turning out good, but there's also quite a few things where it could result in crap.
If it happens, the proof will be in the pudding.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: October 3, 2015 19:47

Only thing I care about is the fact that it seems like both Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie seems motivated to give it a go at the studio.

With all the things that could go wrong and potential conflict of interest, I'm MORE than grateful if Jack White is somehow part of the glue that makes this project stick.

Seems to me like Don Was had his time, and since we don't know what they have in mind for a new album, I*m certainly not wasting time being negative about a new Stones album.

Date: October 3, 2015 19:55

MichaelLassen
Only thing I care about is the fact that it seems like both Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie seems motivated to give it a go at the studio.

With all the things that could go wrong and potential conflict of interest, I'm MORE than grateful if Jack White is somehow part of the glue that makes this project stick.

Seems to me like Don Was had his time, and since we don't know what they have in mind for a new album, I*m certainly not wasting time being negative about a new Stones album.

..and you're right!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 3, 2015 20:01

Well it's clear the Stones need some new blood and production elements to make what might be their last record. I liked the production on Jack's last record, the guy has really come a long way. Certainly think it's a good idea to give him a chance. Perhaps Mick brought him some of his demos to get a feel for what Jack would do with them.

I've actually got a pretty good feeling about this. The real question is whether Jack will have the balls to tell the Stones when they are sucking bad and whether the Stones will give him the authority and power necessary to truly make the record the way he wants. Mick and Keith are certainly not the easiest guys to boss around and give up on their own preconceived notions.

Maybe the Stones have mellowed enough in their old age to allow a young punk like Jack to lead the process, but I cringe thinking about how hard it might be to convince Keith to accept something he doesn't feel good about. lol On the other hand the production of Keith's CEH record is not far off the kind of stuff Jack has been doing lately so perhaps they will share some visions.

Lets just pray they have some great songs to start with because I don't think Jack will ruin them, he is arguably at the height of his own musical powers and just might be able to make good songs great and great songs even better. I'm in.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 3, 2015 21:22

Only 4 negatives against a sea of positives. I can see Don Was playing bass for the Stones on a Jack White produced record. Anyone but Darryl, unless somebody shows him how to play emotional, rock based bass finally. I'm hoping they would let Jack bring some new instrumentalism to a Stones record. He knows some fine, fine piano players that could bring a new dimension to the Stones, and not just mild echoes of past triumphs.

Jack blew it at the Beacon. His voice was terrible, I think from nerves. But there's no denying he has the blues roots. He doesn't have to contribute his Zepplinesque guitar playing. Just bring the right vibe.

Date: October 3, 2015 21:48

24FPS
Only 4 negatives against a sea of positives. I can see Don Was playing bass for the Stones on a Jack White produced record. Anyone but Darryl, unless somebody shows him how to play emotional, rock based bass finally. I'm hoping they would let Jack bring some new instrumentalism to a Stones record. He knows some fine, fine piano players that could bring a new dimension to the Stones, and not just mild echoes of past triumphs.

Jack blew it at the Beacon. His voice was terrible, I think from nerves. But there's no denying he has the blues roots. He doesn't have to contribute his Zepplinesque guitar playing. Just bring the right vibe.

Producing doesn't usually mean guitar playing as you know. Although there are bound to be a few contributions by other musicians I think the Stones have the guitar playing department pretty wrapped up. Perhaps he will contribute guitar ideas but I can't see him playing guitar on the record.

And while I agree with you about the bass playing, Darryl is there to stay, he's paid his dues whether you like him or not. Seriously doubt they will be bringing someone like Don Was in on a record someone else is producing. Perhaps we will see Keith or Ronnie on bass on a track or two. Keith mentioned how much he loves it in the recent documentary.

No doubt Nashville is filled with amazing players, Jack has certainly taken advantage of them. I just don't see Keith and Mick willing to take advantage of too many session cats for what could be their last record. Keith has been pretty outspoken about his dislike of such players dominating the music. If they were used sparingly and tastefully I think it would be great, but I've got the feeling the Stones want to make this last one all their own and give the guys like Chuck and Darryl whom they've been working with for years first crack at the piano and bass parts.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 3, 2015 22:04

KRiffhard

You won't get denials about rumors from Jack, not until they become slanderous or something, anyway!

Obviously I'm a huge fan of his (having seen over him 50+ times over the years) and would love for this to happen. One other possibility to bear in mind, though, is that Third Man Records has a Blue (not blues) Series, where folks who are in town cut a couple of tracks produced by JW for a 7" released through the label--people from Black Milk to Tom Jones have done that. Mick might be involved in recording a couple of solo songs for that series, or he and JW could be co-producing something (JW does a lot of other things, such as co-producing the American Epic documentary that's out soon). Or it could have been a social visit. However, if it does turn out to be about a new Stones album, I'm totally on board, not least because JW once said he'd be interested in doing that if they wanted to record a blues-oriented album. But don't hold him to that!

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: October 3, 2015 22:10

jack white would be not bad.

may absolute favorite choice would be danger mouse though.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 3, 2015 22:31

I wish they would just produce themselves, Keith and Mick together. But, I know that's unrealistic, so I'm on board with whomever can get them back in the studio.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 3, 2015 22:47

A big YES from me.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 3, 2015 22:52

latebloomer
I wish they would just produce themselves, Keith and Mick together. But, I know that's unrealistic, so I'm on board with whomever can get them back in the studio.

thumbs up If they don't know their shit by now they never will. Glimmers did a good job on Tattoo You

Plus Jack White went off the boil a while ago

What's Steve Lilywhite doing these days lol

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 3, 2015 23:26

How the heck is this guy going to tell the Stones what to do when he can't even figure out how to play guitar.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 3, 2015 23:31

..at last a great news for The future album..it would be an excellent choice..Cross our fingers...!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 3, 2015 23:32

KRiffhard

Are there any sources?

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: October 3, 2015 23:44

It would also be great if Jack White opened for the Stones on their eventual tour in support of the new album!

Date: October 3, 2015 23:57

funny how everybody says he would be great but never say why? Im pretty sure if keith gave him the evil eye he would run in the bathroom and cry

Date: October 4, 2015 00:21

Cooltoplady
funny how everybody says he would be great but never say why? Im pretty sure if keith gave him the evil eye he would run in the bathroom and cry

I thought Keith made a few tracks with Jack white some years ago
obviously nothing came of them, i wonder why

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 4, 2015 00:28

Cooltoplady
Im pretty sure if keith gave him the evil eye he would run in the bathroom and cry

I'm even more sure he wouldn't eye rolling smiley, not least because that's not going to happen, and--

As I said before, Keith just played some songs in JW's studio, there's no reason to think they were necessarily for public consumption. (Third Man also often sits on tracks for years until an appropriate time to release them, so it could be that, too.)

Date: October 4, 2015 00:48

JumpingKentFlash
A big YES from me.

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 4, 2015 01:10

keefriffhards
Cooltoplady

Maybe because Keith thought they were crap?

And the 'evil eye' comment is hilarious! >grinning smiley<

Date: October 4, 2015 01:33

Hairball
keefriffhards
Cooltoplady

Rather that than Jack White thinking the tracks were crap lol

Date: October 4, 2015 01:56

Cooltoplady
How the heck is this guy going to tell the Stones what to do when he can't even figure out how to play guitar.

Being proficient on guitar is much less important when you've got Keith and Ronnie to do the guitar playing. To me it's more about instrumentation, arrangements, groove, and song and take selection. If you've listened to some of Jack White's recent recordings, excellent use of studio musicians, and other production work, it's obvious he can take pretty simple ideas and turn them into interesting songs. He's come a long way in the last few years, imo.

We've already has someone who worshiped Exile, said all the right things and had all the promise in the world who wasn't able to deliver (Don Was). I just got the feeling he was too much of a yes man to pull it off. Those images of him sitting barefoot in the studio rocking back and forth when the Stones were rehearsing mediocre stuff tells me he was probably too much of a fan to make much of a difference. LOL

Like I've said before, they should try out multiple producers. Perhaps even give them all a crack at the same song and really be able to tell who was going to work best with/for them. In the end it's still going to be all about Mick and Keith unless they get some very visionary, very strong willed genius to pull them up to a new level of brilliance.

Ideas like they had in the BB, LIB era in terms of arrangement and instrumentation seem like the best approach for me, hope they agree. Stuff like in YCAGWYW when the chorus gives way to the beautiful acoustic guitars and the song just builds from there. Interesting and unusual bridges, great Mick on Mick and Mick on Keith harmonies. Great counter rhythms like the horn parts in Rocks off, great sounding unique sounding intros like CYHMK, some well crafted nice toned slide work by Ronnie like on the SF live release. Man, they've done it all before, know all the tricks, time to make them work again. They need to go back to pre-Some Girls production ideas, although that was a great record, I think the approach doesn't work for them anymore....less Shattered, more Let it Loose! smoking smiley

Date: October 4, 2015 02:19

Hairball
keefriffhards
Cooltoplady

With jack White as a producer thats a good guess.

Date: October 4, 2015 03:41

Jack White is a talented musician and producer. His great work on Loretta Lynn's 'Van Lear Rose' is only one example: "Jack White, of the bizarre and bluesy duo the White Stripes, produced this effort to jaw-dropping effect. Van Lear Rose is a stripped-down effort that isn't afraid to get dirty -- both in its dark subject matter and in its raucous, gritty tones. And as much as this body of work highlights Lynn's down-home vocals (which are as strong as ever), it's White's production that sends her crashing -- literally -- into the 21st century. On paper, these two disparate souls have little in common, but the bold excitement of the music proves the two are a match made in heaven"

"...White insisted that Loretta and crew keep to a minimum of takes, preserving the energy and excitement of musicians cutting an album when the music is still fresh to their ears..."

[www.allmusic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-04 03:57 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 4, 2015 04:44

RockinJive
He would be shaking in his boots just like he was in Shine A Light. The guy is a joke. His production sucks. They sound like a 12 year did them.

Yeah, even Another Way to Die sounded underproduced, and if you're making a Bond theme sound underproduced...

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 4, 2015 05:49

Naturalust
Cooltoplady

Being proficient on guitar is much less important when you've got Keith and Ronnie to do the guitar playing. To me it's more about instrumentation, arrangements, groove, and song and take selection. If you've listened to some of Jack White's recent recordings, excellent use of studio musicians, and other production work, it's obvious he can take pretty simple ideas and turn them into interesting songs. He's come a long way in the last few years, imo.

We've already has someone who worshiped Exile, said all the right things and had all the promise in the world who wasn't able to deliver (Don Was). I just got the feeling he was too much of a yes man to pull it off. Those images of him sitting barefoot in the studio rocking back and forth when the Stones were rehearsing mediocre stuff tells me he was probably too much of a fan to make much of a difference. LOL

Like I've said before, they should try out multiple producers. Perhaps even give them all a crack at the same song and really be able to tell who was going to work best with/for them. In the end it's still going to be all about Mick and Keith unless they get some very visionary, very strong willed genius to pull them up to a new level of brilliance.

Ideas like they had in the BB, LIB era in terms of arrangement and instrumentation seem like the best approach for me, hope they agree. Stuff like in YCAGWYW when the chorus gives way to the beautiful acoustic guitars and the song just builds from there. Interesting and unusual bridges, great Mick on Mick and Mick on Keith harmonies. Great counter rhythms like the horn parts in Rocks off, great sounding unique sounding intros like CYHMK, some well crafted nice toned slide work by Ronnie like on the SF live release. Man, they've done it all before, know all the tricks, time to make them work again. They need to go back to pre-Some Girls production ideas, although that was a great record, I think the approach doesn't work for them anymore....less Shattered, more Let it Loose! smoking smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 4, 2015 05:53

Aint happening folks.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 4, 2015 08:47

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 4, 2015 09:41

YES YES YES

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home