Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Time Waits For No One
Date: September 28, 2015 21:13

Elmo Lewis
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
I know a lot of people on here love this song so I will keep it brief. I always found this song to be self-indulgent, pretentious, and vapid both musically and lyrically.

I had the exact same thoughts as you. But while rediscovering it through the IORR sessions I regained respect for the song as well as the songwriting.

Had Mick sung it less campy/artificial I think I would have liked it better.

And I can reveal that we have a guitarist here on IORR who can play this one just as good as Taylor, if not better winking smiley

Thanks, Dandy! Oh wait, you've never heard me play! LOL

Check out who it is over at the IORR Recording Project thread smiling smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 23:04

agree with most on here. taylors finest moment, underrated classic.

its in my top 10 of stones songs.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:40

DandelionPowderman

And I can reveal that we have a guitarist here on IORR who can play this one just as good as Taylor, if not better winking smiley

I assume you're joking DP??

Date: September 29, 2015 00:41

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

I assume you're joking DP.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Never a joke without some truth in it winking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 29, 2015 00:44

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

luxurystones - be careful no one wipes your solo and records their own before the final mix is done!

Date: September 29, 2015 00:47

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

luxurystones - be careful no one wipes your solo and records their own before the final mix is done!

I got the tapes winking smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:27

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Thanks.

Ha!

Mathijs

Wow are you full of yourself

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:29

Mick Taylor can play better than this guy with both arms tied behind his back. Saw Mathijs on Youtube with a Stones clone band. What a joke.

Date: September 30, 2015 23:37

Hey guys, please learn how to take a joke.

It sounds like you haven't heard the solos played by LuxuryStones, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-30 23:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 30, 2015 23:48

DandelionPowderman
Hey guys, please learn to take a joke.

It sounds like you haven't heard the solos, though.

Hey DP,what's up? I thought you were referring to the track you posted with me on it, and of course I cannot play like Taylor, so I thought you were joking? If someone else does it better, feel free to post it. I'm not on iorr.org to ask for musical recognition.

Date: September 30, 2015 23:50

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
Hey guys, please learn to take a joke.

It sounds like you haven't heard the solos, though.

Hey DP,what's up? I thought you were referring to the track you posted with me on it, and of course I cannot play like Taylor, so I thought you were joking? If someone else does it better, feel free to post it. I'm not on iorr.org to ask for musical recognition.

Hence "please learn to take a joke".

You got the joke, a couple of other guys didn't smiling smiley

PS: They certainly didn't get Mathijs's joke..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-30 23:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 1, 2015 00:04

Oh, that was LuxuryStones? I thought you had drafted in Ron Wood! grinning smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 1, 2015 00:28

It's an interesting piece unfortunately somewhat ruined for me by Jagger's vocal treatment. Taylor's work is good of course but with basically such little else exciting going on musically it really needs something like a dreamy imaginative solo.

For me is just doesn't really go anywhere even though it tries. Not rock and roll enough...it feels like something else altogether, easy listening schmaltzy or something, saved by some OK piano and Mick Taylors guitar. I have always skipped it on the record actually, gave it a critical listen today and nothing has changed.

The intro to Can't You Hear Me Knocking came on directly after on YouTube and confirmed the difference between kick ass rock and roll and TWFN. grinning smiley

Date: October 1, 2015 00:35

His Majesty
Oh, that was LuxuryStones? I thought you had drafted in Ron Wood! grinning smiley

LOL! Not sure if he'll take that as a compliment.

Lovely solos anyhow smiling smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: October 1, 2015 00:47

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

What solos are you referring to Dandie? Can I hear them and give my opinion here?
It would be best to listening to them blindly, without knowing who plays what, to avoid any appearance of being prejudiced.

Date: October 1, 2015 00:53

[www.iorr.org]

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

What solos are you referring to Dandie? Can I hear them and give my opinion here?
It would be best to listening to them blindly, without knowing who plays what, to avoid any appearance of being prejudiced.

Date: October 1, 2015 01:03

Naturalust
It's an interesting piece unfortunately somewhat ruined for me by Jagger's vocal treatment. Taylor's work is good of course but with basically such little else exciting going on musically it really needs something like a dreamy imaginative solo.

For me is just doesn't really go anywhere even though it tries. Not rock and roll enough...it feels like something else altogether, easy listening schmaltzy or something, saved by some OK piano and Mick Taylors guitar. I have always skipped it on the record actually, gave it a critical listen today and nothing has changed.

The intro to Can't You Hear Me Knocking came on directly after on YouTube and confirmed the difference between kick ass rock and roll and TWFN. grinning smiley

I find it interesting that you don't like this but you see GHS as classic. To me TWFN is lacking in all the ways you describe, as is most of GHS.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:00

the stones have always been a bit more than just kick ass rock and roll.

if they were just kick ass rock and roll, they would just be another rock group and not the stones.

Date: October 1, 2015 02:02

buttons67
the stones have always been a bit more than just kick ass rock and roll.

if they were just kick ass rock and roll, they would just be another rock group and not the stones.

So for example at the super bowl they were not the stones but rather just another rock group because they only played kick ass rock and roll? Does this other band have a name?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 1, 2015 21:44

Turner68
Naturalust

I find it interesting that you don't like this but you see GHS as classic. To me TWFN is lacking in all the ways you describe, as is most of GHS.

I make little correlation between TWFN and GHS. It's all about the song(s) for me, either you like them or you don't. I just like almost every cut on GHS and love many of them even more. If TWFN was on GHS it would be the worst tune on that record, imo. These things are so subjective though opinions are bound to vary. I thing there is a groove element missing on TWFN, too meandering and I don't like the melody or Jaggers singing for whatever reason.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 1, 2015 22:03

Lyrically, it's stunning and more meaningful with the passage of time... Musically, it doesn't always do it for me, though the piano and Taylor's guitar are lovely. I have to be in the mood for it, unlike other Stone's songs like Moonlight Mile, which I could listen all the time.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 1, 2015 22:48

latebloomer
Lyrically, it's stunning and more meaningful with the passage of time... Musically, it doesn't always do it for me, though the piano and Taylor's guitar are lovely. I have to be in the mood for it, unlike other Stone's songs like Moonlight Mile, which I could listen all the time.

That's explained the differences between Moonlight Mile and Time wait.....while Moonlight Mile is a vivacious song that you want to listen till end and Time Waits For No one leads to nothing voice wise....I think it would be an amazing song as an instrumental.....

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 1, 2015 22:54

latebloomer

+ 1

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 1, 2015 23:25

The lyrics on page one should be translated to read phonetically. That would be genius.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 00:44

One of my absolute favourite Stones tracks. Love how Taylor's main guitar riff progresses upwards through a c-scale to suggest the passage of time. Love how the song starts and fades out on Charlie's metronomic drumming to suggest the same. It sounds to me like a track they clearly put a lot of thought into. The words aren't bad either....

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 01:48

All of you have noticed that it is Taylor's best time, and I add that it is the finest hour of Nicky Hopkins too. It is a song with a sad aura, and always found it curious that is the only time where the piano has a solo. It's definitely a farewell song, farewell to the classic line-up of the band.
Thanks Nicky, thanks Mick T., welcome Billy Preston, Ollie Brown and Ronnie Wood.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: October 2, 2015 01:54

dandelion1967
All of you have noticed that it is Taylor's best time, and I add that it is the finest hour of Nicky Hopkins too. It is a song with a sad aura, and always found it curious that is the only time where the piano has a solo. It's definitely a farewell song, farewell to the classic line-up of the band.
Thanks Nicky, thanks Mick T., welcome Billy Preston, Ollie Brown and Ronnie Wood.

with all due respect, the classic line up of the band has brian jones on guitar and ian stewart on piano. you might prefer others, but this is the classic line-up.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2015 02:20

Beautiful tune, and exquisite guitar from Mick Taylor.
A nice time capsule that brings me back to being 11 years old when I was first really digging into the Stones.
I remember the title track (IORR) dominating the radio at the time...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 02:29

Nice enough song. Vocally not one of Jaggers better efforts. But like the rest of the album, horribly thin production.

Rod

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 2, 2015 05:09

The song that if I got to pick one song that I'd love to see them perform that I've never seen live. Majestic.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home