Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: Mick guests with Taylor Swift - Nashville, September 26
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 30, 2015 11:03

HMS
keefriff99
He's worth $360 million; she's worth $200 million. He doesn't need financial advice from her.

But it took him more than 50 years to get there. Taylor Swift made it within 5 years...eye popping smiley

Taylor Swift is a solo performer who pays her band a salary. Mick has to split onstage earnings equally five ways.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 30, 2015 11:05

jahisnotdead
The complainers on this thread are being incredible crybabies, in my humble opinion.

In late 2015, while most of his contemporaries (and hundreds of artists that followed him in the past half century) are either moldering in their graves or lucky to play at state fairs, Mick Jagger is invited on stage for a duet with the most popular female singer in music. Jagger delivers a solid, entertaining performance, and... Rolling Stones fans are complaining?!

It is very sad to me. I've read all the posts trying to articulate exactly why some fans are so supremely disappointed with Mick for this pairing, as if he and the Stones have never had a musical guest that also happened to be popular at the time. Remember when the Stones has Justin Timberlake on as a musical guest? Of course you do. Everyone does, because it was worse than Altamont and totally destroyed their reputation forever and ever and ever!!!!!!!11!1one1!!

It's ridiculous to get upset over this story, because in the end it boils down to "current star has legendary star on stage as guest." Big deal. Happens all the time, and that and "legendary star has current star on stage as guest" will happen again and again as long as there are legendary stars, current stars, and stages. Get used to it, kids.

I believe that anyone truly outraged and disappointed over this one little duet has their priorities supremely out of whack.

It's only rock and roll, people. Quit bellyaching and be glad that:

1. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are alive at all
2. And are still working together
3. And are still performing at such a high level
4. And are still hip with the hottest musical acts

Complainers, you can be as critical as you like. You're going to be anyway. But for me, every performance by any Stone at this point is something special and rare meant to be appreciated and savored as much as possible. Because, man, when it's gone, it's gonna to be gone for good.

Instead of complaining about the pairing, I'd rather take joy in the fact that Mick gave a great performance and was well received by people both in person and online.

We are lucky to have had the Rolling Stones as long as we have. Fans of most bands aren't nearly as fortunate.

Great post!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 30, 2015 12:19

DeanGoodman
triceratops
Swift is raking in millions on tour so maybe Mick wanted to hang out to see how she does it. Perhaps chat with her management and business brains. Mick is always interested in commerce.

Close. They were finalizing plans to have her open all the Stones' South American dates.

Maybe it´s gonna be the other way roundsmiling smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 30, 2015 13:43

HMS
DeanGoodman
triceratops
Swift is raking in millions on tour so maybe Mick wanted to hang out to see how she does it. Perhaps chat with her management and business brains. Mick is always interested in commerce.

Close. They were finalizing plans to have her open all the Stones' South American dates.

A woman opening for the Stones in Latin America??? Bad idea. Remember what happened to Meredith Brooks in 1998 in Argentina!!
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 30, 2015 14:52

latebloomer
angee
Latebloomer, did I see you already had dibs on Mick's jacket in the TS spot?
If so, maybe I can borrow it sometime. cool smiley

If not, it's mine! I can't resist blue leather...with black trim.

Angee, I did lay claim to it, but seeing as how we both have fair completions, that very lovely shade of blue would suit either of us quite well. We can share. smiling smiley
*sorry ladies, I won't share, because a clothing article of Jagger's will have to be pried off my cold, dead body. However if I'm in the closet looking for that quail shirt from Licks tour, I'll be sure to grab you some stuff.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 30, 2015 15:17

35love
latebloomer
angee
Latebloomer, did I see you already had dibs on Mick's jacket in the TS spot?
If so, maybe I can borrow it sometime. cool smiley

If not, it's mine! I can't resist blue leather...with black trim.

Angee, I did lay claim to it, but seeing as how we both have fair completions, that very lovely shade of blue would suit either of us quite well. We can share. smiling smiley
*sorry ladies, I won't share, because a clothing article of Jagger's will have to be pried off my cold, dead body. However if I'm in the closet looking for that quail shirt from Licks tour, I'll be sure to grab you some stuff.
I adore that quail shirt, plus it would really suit my skintonegrinning smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 30, 2015 16:15

rollmops
HMS
DeanGoodman
triceratops

A woman opening for the Stones in Latin America??? Bad idea. Remember what happened to Meredith Brooks in 1998 in Argentina!!
Rock and roll,
Mops

No. What did happen?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 30, 2015 16:41

Green Lady
No. What did happen?

I didn't know either, but googling produced this: [www.mtv.com]
and this: [www.musicfanclubs.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-30 16:44 by with sssoul.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 30, 2015 17:16

I, unfortunately, was in attendance for the positively dreadful "As Tears Go By" Duet in Chicago. MJ was fine. TS - Not so much. It was painful to sit through. Shockingly bad. The turn at Satisfaction had nowhere to go but up by comparison. While not a big fan of RS related duets, if they work, well, ok. When they don't, man, they don't. Tears was squarely the latter camp.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 30, 2015 17:38

with sssoul
Green Lady
No. What did happen?

I didn't know either, but googling produced this: [www.mtv.com]
and this: [www.musicfanclubs.org]

From the Meredith Brooks Wikipedia page Link:
On March 30, 1998 in Argentina, she was opening for the Rolling Stones. The crowd demanded to see the Stones during her set and became violent, throwing bottles and other objects at the stage, hitting her several times. Brooks abandoned her set after two songs as the crowd yelled "Come on, Stones!" The next day Brooks showed reporters bruises to her eye and ankle and stated: "They have taken away my greatest moment. I was playing with the Stones, something I never imagined I would do... and now I think I'll cancel the rest of my shows in Latin America. I have no intention of continuing to expose myself to this kind of barbaric behavior... not me, not my band, not my crew."

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 30, 2015 18:03

jahisnotdead
The complainers on this thread are being incredible crybabies, in my humble opinion.

In late 2015, while most of his contemporaries (and hundreds of artists that followed him in the past half century) are either moldering in their graves or lucky to play at state fairs, Mick Jagger is invited on stage for a duet with the most popular female singer in music. Jagger delivers a solid, entertaining performance, and... Rolling Stones fans are complaining?!

It is very sad to me. I've read all the posts trying to articulate exactly why some fans are so supremely disappointed with Mick for this pairing, as if he and the Stones have never had a musical guest that also happened to be popular at the time. Remember when the Stones has Justin Timberlake on as a musical guest? Of course you do. Everyone does, because it was worse than Altamont and totally destroyed their reputation forever and ever and ever!!!!!!!11!1one1!!

It's ridiculous to get upset over this story, because in the end it boils down to "current star has legendary star on stage as guest." Big deal. Happens all the time, and that and "legendary star has current star on stage as guest" will happen again and again as long as there are legendary stars, current stars, and stages. Get used to it, kids.

I believe that anyone truly outraged and disappointed over this one little duet has their priorities supremely out of whack.

It's only rock and roll, people. Quit bellyaching and be glad that:

1. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are alive at all
2. And are still working together
3. And are still performing at such a high level
4. And are still hip with the hottest musical acts

Complainers, you can be as critical as you like. You're going to be anyway. But for me, every performance by any Stone at this point is something special and rare meant to be appreciated and savored as much as possible. Because, man, when it's gone, it's gonna to be gone for good.

Instead of complaining about the pairing, I'd rather take joy in the fact that Mick gave a great performance and was well received by people both in person and online.

We are lucky to have had the Rolling Stones as long as we have. Fans of most bands aren't nearly as fortunate.

Your point about this being not out of character at all is obviously correct, also that it is way overblown. I was away for 2 days and was shocked to see that the thread was still going.

I hate Mick singing with taylor Swift because I think she sucks, first, and also because she seems to be the epitome of what the music industry has become. I would love to see Mick onstage with Bonnie Raitt, Chryssie Hynde, loads of other people out there. Not just old farts -- there are plenty of young popular musicians out there -- not as popular as Swift -- but what it comes down to to me is, to answer BV's question, yes there is good music and bad music and to me TS is bad music, that's all, it's not the end of the world.

And it has nothing to do with being a Keith fan vs. a Mick fan. Len Motlow's post about Keith's heavily manufactured image, his role as a corporate spokesman, etc. is right on. Also his post about the joy in that old lady seeing Mick, it's hard not to get behind that.

One love.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 30, 2015 19:08

SuperC
I, unfortunately, was in attendance for the positively dreadful "As Tears Go By" Duet in Chicago. MJ was fine. TS - Not so much. It was painful to sit through. Shockingly bad. The turn at Satisfaction had nowhere to go but up by comparison. While not a big fan of RS related duets, if they work, well, ok. When they don't, man, they don't. Tears was squarely the latter camp.

Ok - I was trying to be diplomatic. Swift CAN'T SING! I knew little about her until the "Tears: duet other then her mass country pop popularity. Assumed she could at least carry a tune. Wrong! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Sure, The United Center sound is typically not great but even factoring this into the equation, the performance really exposed her vocal limitations. Hats off to Swift and her marketing team! They are clearly very gifted.

Date: September 30, 2015 19:09

Mick Jagger dueting with Taylor Swift is simply a slap in the face of every fan of good music, be it RnR, Rock, Country or whatever, because TS´s music is simply not good. At least not for adults who have a little taste. To say that is not presumptuous, there´s indeed good music and bad music. And there´s music for adults and music for kids.

If Mick honors a TS-concert with a guest-appearance someone might think Taylor Swift is a serious musician who deserves this honor, but indeed she isn´t. Mick doesnt care for the music Taylor makes, he cares for her popularity only. This guy would do a duet with ANYBODY who is popular and a top-seller. If he invites guests for Stones-shows he dont asks, "What kind of music does she/he make?", he asks "How many followers have her/his social media accounts? How much sold her/his latest album?"

This is what bothers me personally the most. It is a betrayal of good music. So many young and talented musicians out there, some of them even prettier than TS (can you hear me, Mick?), but they will never get the chance to perform with Mick or the Stones, because they are not top-selling artists. Pardon me Ladies and Gentlemen - Mick is like a hooker, not asking who you are but how much you pay. All I can say is that I´m extremly disappointed, like I said, it´s a slap in the face of everyone who loves good music and I am afraid this was not the last slap we will have to take.

Mick, honor the artists who deserve it, not just those who sell the most. Mick you are losing your credibility and your honor. You came a long way from the boy who loves the blues to the aging superstar who teams up with plastic teen idols.

Keith help us, set this man's head straight, for god's sake!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: September 30, 2015 19:16

HMS
Mick Jagger dueting with Taylor Swift is simply a slap in the face of every fan of good music, be it RnR, Rock, Country or whatever, because TS´s music is simply not good. At least not for adults who have a little taste. To say that is not presumptuous, there´s indeed good music and bad music. And there´s music for adults and music for kids.

If Mick honors a TS-concert with a guest-appearance someone might think Taylor Swift is a serious musician who deserves this honor, but indeed she isn´t. Mick doesnt care for the music Taylor makes, he cares for her popularity only. This guy would do a duet with ANYBODY who is popular and a top-seller. If he invites guests for Stones-shows he dont asks, "What kind of music does she/he make?", he asks "How many followers have her/his social media accounts? How much sold her/his latest album?"

This is what bothers me personally the most. It is a betrayal of good music. So many young and talented musicians out there, some of them even prettier than TS (can you hear me, Mick?), but they will never get the chance to perform with Mick or the Stones, because they are not top-selling artists. Pardon me Ladies and Gentlemen - Mick is like a hooker, not asking who you are but how much you pay. All I can say is that I´m extremly disappointed, like I said, it´s a slap in the face of everyone who loves good music and I am afraid this was not the last slap we will have to take.

Mick, honor the artists who deserve it, not just those who sell the most. Mick you are losing your credibility and your honor. You came a long way from the boy who loves the blues to the aging superstar who teams up with plastic teen idols.

You left out the line that says your post is satire.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: September 30, 2015 19:41

Can't believe the Rolling Stones "fans" are still complaining about this.

Remember what Keith says: "It's good to be here. It's good to be anywhere!"

Won't be long, and the complainers won't have to share their misery over the set lists, collaborations, who's bigger, who's better, who's right, who's wrong. Not too long, it'll all be history.

Try thankfulness for a change. It'll do your heart good.

It seems like Rolling Stones fans should be happy to see the Rolling Stones wherever they can! Unconditional love, baby. Support. Let them live their lives and be happy.

No one's ranting on the internet over every single thing you do in your life. Oh yeah, maybe it's because you have none...

Can't you see what's going on? Mick is passing the baton. Won't be long and he'll be gone. Taylor will have beautiful things to say about Mick when he is no longer here, because she had the privilege of working with him and getting to know him. And you didn't.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 30, 2015 20:01

Long John Stoner
HMS

You left out the line that says your post is satire.

While HMS's post is obviously heartfelt and a bit over the top, I do like the idea of Mick helping out artists who are much further down the food chain. The Stones have a long history of doing so with bands like Living Color, etc and it always makes me feel good to see them giving back in that way. They are somewhat less active in that department these days using different opening acts and guests for every show, some of which are already headliners. And who knows, perhaps Mich actually does like her music, I wouldn't be surprised.

But in the case of TS, this really had nothing to do with promoting her and I think it was more a way for Taylor to honor Mick not Mick honor Taylor. It was her show and she certainly didn't need Mick to sell it out. Likely she is just a big fan like all of us and regardless of whether we like her music nobody should be thinking it is any more than a chance for her to honor one of her heros by playing one of his songs and giving him a chance to share her stage.

Date: September 30, 2015 20:09

Straycat13

Can't you see what's going on? Mick is passing the baton. Won't be long and he'll be gone. Taylor will have beautiful things to say about Mick when he is no longer here, because she had the privilege of working with him and getting to know him. And you didn't.

What? What baton is he passing to Swift? You must be kidding. Yes, I am sure that when Mick is long gone, as you say, swift will say nice things about him. Why anyone would care about that or what it is relevant to totally escapes me. And you also said he was helping her career??? HMS's post is not over the top. It's just that he has taste.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 30, 2015 20:23

HMS Posts is always stupid and childish,like some others here.

Date: September 30, 2015 20:27

Rokyfan
Straycat13

What? What baton is he passing to Swift? You must be kidding. Yes, I am sure that when Mick is long gone, as you say, swift will say nice things about him. Why anyone would care about that or what it is relevant to totally escapes me. And you also said he was helping her career??? HMS's post is not over the top. It's just that he has taste.

Yes the thought of Mick passing the baton to Taylor is quite laughable. Mick will hold onto that baton until his cold fingers wrap around it with his last breath and he'll be buried with it.

While no one is necessarily doubting HMS's taste here, what is over the top is that he is giving way to much meaning and importance to what was a simple guest spot. Taylor's band did a decent job with the tune, Taylor only took one verse (which she didn't butcher or anything) and it's a Stone's tune, how could that be a slap in the face to good music?

Date: September 30, 2015 20:45

I totally agree the whole thing is overblown, at least on this board. There's not much else to talk about so that's what happens. The slap in the face to good music is in the implication that TS falls within that category, by playing with her. (I don't mean playing off stage -- I have no problem with that). I'm sure her band could do a good job as professionals. I just think she represents garbage music, that's all. Obviously, most of America disagrees with me, some people here agree, some disagree, and what I would like is for Keith to go on the road with his other band for a bit so we have something else to talk about, but sadly it doesn't look like that's happening, does it?

Date: September 30, 2015 21:40

The older generation passes the baton to the younger generation. He paved the way for her to do these massive stadium shows. He inspired her in music, creativity, stage shows. He will have his last day. She will go on, till she passes the baton to the next generation with whatever she brought to the plate by then. It's not brain surgery.

Date: September 30, 2015 21:48

And, P.S. The best way for people to not disappoint you is to not put your expectations for them on them. Let them be themselves.

Date: September 30, 2015 22:27

Straycat13
The older generation passes the baton to the younger generation. He paved the way for her to do these massive stadium shows. He inspired her in music, creativity, stage shows. He will have his last day. She will go on, till she passes the baton to the next generation with whatever she brought to the plate by then. It's not brain surgery.

Well I was kind of assuming there was an intentional and deliberate act implicit in the passing of the baton, as suggested by some concerning their duo performance.

It brings up an interesting point about the idea. Seems to me that Mick might value his performance aspects as much as the music and songwriting and feel OK about passing that down to performers like Justin Timberlake and Taylor Swift. It certainly is as big a part of his identity as his music is. Keith of course is mostly about the music but also passes down an image of what a rock star is supposed to look and act like. And from my perspective the performance stuff has become just as important (or more) for some of the current pop acts success.

It would be a great question for both Mick and Keith. "If you were told you needed to pass your baton down to one artist, who would it be?"

Date: September 30, 2015 22:49

Straycat13
Total rubbish. If there is any baton passing going on it is not to Taylor Swift. As I said before, 50 years from now people will be listening to the music of the Rolling Stones and nobody will have heard of TS, except historians of music business sales. I mean nobody will be listening to her music. I think where you are going wrong is thinking that just because they perform in large stadiums that there is something in common between the Stones and TS. I shouldn't say going wrong since it is all a matter of opinion I should say that is where we disagree. It's not a matter of brain surgery or insults, it's a matter of I think she sucks. Is that such an odd opinion to you?

Date: September 30, 2015 23:23

This "passing the baton" is nonsense. If Mick would really think the baton has to be passed on to TAYLOR SWIFT, he is bound to be taken to asylum as soon as possible. "Passing the baton" - I dont think Mick ever thought about that in his life and will never do.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 1, 2015 00:01

maybe just "passing the microphone?"

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 1, 2015 01:23

KRIFF...Keith's " Global success"....really? After putting out one piss poor album, covering songs from the 40's....WALTZING MATILDA....as bad as Paul's Mary Had A Little Lamb...and going on the Late Show and NOT SINGING ONE NOTE??
You'll see REAL SUCCESS when Mick and Martin's HBO movie VINYL comes out. And I am not a fan of Taylor Swift( I think she sucks!) and Mick could easily have skipped this little cameo in my opinion but hey, Mick has still got the moves, loves to perform and I'm sure she invited him and he felt it would be rude to say no. I cringed when she sang " As Tears Go By" with the Stones too. She IS a lightweight but there's no arguing her popularity.
Yes, Straycat, Mick was being Mick, not conforming to her style of performing! THANK GOD!

Date: October 1, 2015 01:32

Can we stop this? Keith's album is not piss poor (nor is the master himself, Leadbelly!), and it's cool that Mick had fun on stage getting himself ready for the real deal.

OK?

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 1, 2015 01:56

with sssoul
stone4 ... 4 a while maybe
with sssoul
HMS
Regarding Keith´s appearences in pirate movies, that is completely different

It wasn't completely different for the outraged guardians of the legacy who were screeching about it at the time.
It was exactly the same. Inappropate. A pardoy. A disgrace. Substantial damage to the Stones' cred. The works.
And look what happened.

No, it was completely different. Are you saying this is the same. You can't differentiate between
singing with a talentless bimbo to acting in a Disney film. Reading some of your posts
do you go out of your way to be awkward and obnoxious or does it just come naturally.

LoFL - now that's classy! Snappy too. Carry on just like that and you'll go far :E

What I said (quite clearly, twice now) is that people reacted exactly the same way to Keith's movies
as you and a couple of others here are reacting now. And look what happened.

I really feel you serious guardians of the Stones' legacy should put your heads together
and compose a petition exhorting Mick Jagger to stop doing things you don't approve of.
Gnashing your teeth in posts on fan forums is just a waste of your moral dignity pants.

Perfect response, you nailed it my friend.Post of the day without a doubt.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 1, 2015 02:27

roller99
stone4ever
I'm really sorry to put a downer on your party, but i just watched it again and it makes me feel sad for Mick. Why the need, its weird to me and i am not an old fart. They sell out everywhere they go, they have more money than they could ever spend. I would love them to end their carriers with integrity, this is just desperate.
The man does not need attention at any cost, seeing him jump about at the end i just cringe. I have not cringed like that since the Lets Work video
I just don't understand it, when i think of Dave Gilmore or Robert Plant, its another world of maturing gracefully compared to this.
I remember Pete Townsend said to the Stones , don't grow old gracefully guys, it wouldn't suit you, now i'm not so sure. Basically i picked up on the Stones when they were anti pop, and it didn't stop me becoming a fan. This fan base age is puzzling. I say this knowing i am not a negative person, far from it, i wish the Stones all the best and hope they go on making live shows for many more years.

Wow....I guess some people here don't get the concept of someone who enjoys what they do for a living and not wanting to retire. This is no different than an accountant or a mechanic enjoying their work. You seem to miss this concept completely. Does it not occur to you that Mick just enjoys what he does and doesn't give a crap about baseless negativity like yours? That's Keith's basic attitude, he could give a rat's ass. I'm assuming also you're not a musician and have never experienced the rush that being on stage gives you. It's stronger than drugs. That's why for the most part the drug use fades, but the performing doesn't. It's that strong. These guys do what they do because they enjoy it. If you find it that repulsive, don't watch.

Another solid post, well said roller99.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home