Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Stewart wants Ronnie to join him in Jeff Beck Group reunion
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 26, 2015 20:11

Naturalust
straycatuk
How had this come about ? Has another "fly in the ointment" passed ? I'd rather have Mick Hucknall singing...and Jeff "fret w*nking" Beck....No Thanks.

sc uk

lol. Yeah Of course no Jeff Beck in a Jeff Beck Group reunion. eye rolling smiley

Some good quotes from Jeff concerning Rod and The Jeff Beck Group on the great Dean Goodman site.

[www.deangoodman.com]

I can see how that makes sense obviously , but Jeff Beck is IMHO incapable of playing with the necessary restraint to recreate the sound of his group in 67- 69 . I was a front row witness to his mega overplaying egofest at the Stones 1 st O2 gig in 2012. He completely ruined "I'm going down" . I try to avoid been negative here as there are enough people who see it as some sort of duty , Jeff Beck isn't and ( thank christ) never has been a Rolling Stone, so I feel free ti have my opinion - over rated Big head. All technique ,but no soul. Of all the 100s of LPs I bought and regretted "Blow by Blow"comes top.

Ronnie - you are a member of the greatest Band in the world...stick with it:-)

sc uk

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 26, 2015 20:41

straycatuk
Naturalust
straycatuk
How had this come about ? Has another "fly in the ointment" passed ? I'd rather have Mick Hucknall singing...and Jeff "fret w*nking" Beck....No Thanks.

sc uk

lol. Yeah Of course no Jeff Beck in a Jeff Beck Group reunion. eye rolling smiley

Some good quotes from Jeff concerning Rod and The Jeff Beck Group on the great Dean Goodman site.

[www.deangoodman.com]

I can see how that makes sense obviously , but Jeff Beck is IMHO incapable of playing with the necessary restraint to recreate the sound of his group in 67- 69 . I was a front row witness to his mega overplaying egofest at the Stones 1 st O2 gig in 2012. He completely ruined "I'm going down" . I try to avoid been negative here as there are enough people who see it as some sort of duty , Jeff Beck isn't and ( thank christ) never has been a Rolling Stone, so I feel free ti have my opinion - over rated Big head. All technique ,but no soul. Of all the 100s of LPs I bought and regretted "Blow by Blow"comes top.

sc uk

Yeah I understand what you are saying, of course you are entitled to your opinion. But I am one who totally enjoys the technical aspect of Jeff's playing. He's not one who takes the more notes is better approach that so many others have tried. He explores melodies and tones in a way that is totally unique and tasteful in my opinion. Lyrical playing is the best way I can describe him. It's just such a different approach than anything Ron Wood or Keith do. I've see him do fairly simple melodic runs using the whammy bar to hit 1/2 the notes and pulling off very soulful sounding phrases.

I don't like everything he does, don't at all look at him in the context of Stones music or that sloppy, about to go off the rails approach to rock music. He obviously wouldn't have ever fit in with the Stones, both personality and playing wise, but as a solo act and guitarist he is one of a kind and a pleasure too watch perform, imo. He probably could play like he did in 1968, but he is one who had improved with every year, not stuck in the nostalgia of those old sounds and styles and that, imo, is one of his strengths, not his weaknesses.

I'm torn between thinking a collaboration with Ronnie would be a total disaster or possibly am amazing amalgamation of styles that would produce something that would move a wide spectrum of listeners.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2015 20:52

Thankfully Jeff Beck never became a Rolling Stone -wasn't it he who declined after a brief audition?
Not only would he not fit the simplicity of the Stones, but we also would have been denied his amazingly unique
and high quality solo recordings (for the most part)- not to mention the stellar out of this world live performances.
After Jimi Hendrix, he is the best imo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 26, 2015 21:19

Jeff Beck doesn't need any one else. I witnessed him live with Brian Wilson, and with ZZ Top a year later. He is the only British guitar gunslinger from the 60s with his talent intact. Whether that's from less drug and alcohol abuse, whatever, it's worked. Jeff Beck playing A Day In The Life was transcendent. He has NOTHING but maybe a few extra bucks in his pocket to gain from joining a broken down Rod Stewart, and Ron Wood on bass, which he probably hasn't played with any continuity in years.

Rod Stewart only has himself to blame. He rejected these reunions when he was on top, acting like they were beneath him. Well, the table's turned. Jeff Beck, checkmate.

Date: September 26, 2015 22:13

I have to say I have owned Truth and Beck O la for decades and still enjoy them. Maybe my tastes are old fashioned....still love Eric on a good day.
I'm assuming that Rod's cash cow crooning has dried up. After what he said about Mac I wouldn't cross the road to see him.

sc uk

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 26, 2015 22:44

Didn't Jeff Beck drop out of Jagger's solo band at the last minute for
Mick's solo tour? Something about Jeff not wanting to play a bunch of Stones songs.

A reformation of the the Jeff Beck group would be excellent. Hope the
players can work somthing out.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 26, 2015 23:10

Regret for Blow By Blow ? Not so, as I love Jeff's fusion period more so than his appearances with Rod and Ronnie.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 27, 2015 00:09

straycatuk hit the nail on the head there about Jeff Beck - all technique but no soul. Sitting through a solo concert of his was even more trying than a Clapton gig. I always liked both of them well enough in their earliest incarnations but now they are pretty much guitarists' guitarists. I also agree with straycatuk about Jeff Beck's appearance with the Stones - he's the least memorable of all the guests I've ever seen play with them. Now I'll sit back and wait to beaten down tongue sticking out smiley

And I too find it hard to believe what Rod said about Mac. Why then did we all see Mick Hucknall taking Rod's place at those Faces gigs a few years back? The rumour was then that it was all about the money for Rod. And one week after the Faces reunion with Rod, Ronnie basically said the same when we called out during his book event for more Faces gigs.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 27, 2015 05:40

straycatuk
I have to say I have owned Truth and Beck O la for decades and still enjoy them. Maybe my tastes are old fashioned....still love Eric on a good day.
I'm assuming that Rod's cash cow crooning has dried up. After what he said about Mac I wouldn't cross the road to see him.

sc uk

What did he say about MAC?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 27, 2015 05:56

BILLPERKS
straycatuk

sc uk

Nevermind ,I saw it..sad. Great pipes, but what an Ahole.

Date: September 27, 2015 08:08

BILLPERKS

As I recall it wasn't all that bad, just something like he could be difficult and it was him who never had time for the reunions. Mac probably had Rod's number for a long time so maybe he just didn't suffer fools lightly and treated Rod accordingly. lol

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 27, 2015 09:21

swimtothemoon
Mick's solo tour? Something about Jeff not wanting to play a bunch of Stones songs.

The Sun quoted Jeff Beck: "I quit the tour because Mick only offered me peanuts to play with him."

In Rod Stewart's autobiography, he said he booked Jeff to join him for a few songs in every show for a long tour. But Beck quit after a few shows saying Rod's audience consisted of "housewives."

Jeff Beck seems to have an incredible jealousy of lead singers. I saw Rod Stewart at the Colosseum—The Hits show— a couple years ago and he was fantastic and sounded fantastic.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: September 28, 2015 03:55

Did a Jeff Beck group reunion nearly happen in '04 only for Jeff Beck to back out of it?

Date: September 28, 2015 04:09

Title5Take1
swimtothemoon

The Sun quoted Jeff Beck: "I quit the tour because Mick only offered me peanuts to play with him."

In Rod Stewart's autobiography, he said he booked Jeff to join him for a few songs in every show for a long tour. But Beck quit after a few shows saying Rod's audience consisted of "housewives."

Jeff Beck seems to have an incredible jealousy of lead singers. I saw Rod Stewart at the Colosseum—The Hits show— a couple years ago and he was fantastic and sounded fantastic.

That is hilarious, strange that Jeff is so particular about his audience. Probably thought housewives couldn't appreciate his mastery of the guitar.

It's actually too bad Mick cheaped out on Beck concerning his solo tour, that could have given him just the boost he needed to take it to the next level. No disrespect to Joe Satriani who was good but not great on that tour, imo.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 28, 2015 07:22

straycatuk
Naturalust
straycatuk

sc uk

[www.deangoodman.com]

sc uk

Yup, totally agree. Walked out of a Jeff Beck gig years and years ago at the Shepherds Bush Empire, he was boring me senseless. Did the same thing again at the Royal Albert Hall some 2 to 3 years ago. Thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, what a mistake that proved to be, he bored me senseless all over again. I have no time for the man.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: September 28, 2015 07:38

Rod,Ronnie,Jeff,Kenney and whoever else is involved can get together for rehearsals,until Rod does his usual trick and bails without notice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-28 08:51 by bonddm.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 09:30

Beast
Sitting through a solo concert of his was even more trying than a Clapton gig. I always liked both of them well enough in their earliest incarnations but now they are pretty much guitarists' guitarists.

Robbie Krieger said aspiring musicians will approach him and brag that they're enrolled at the Berklee College of Music, when he tells them, "Don't write songs that only other musicians will like."

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 28, 2015 13:29

Jeff Beck one of the finest six string masters of all time ,who by the way has all of his talents intact from so long ago and has more soul than many in his fingers !!!!!!

Date: September 28, 2015 14:39

I'm glad many people get pleasure from his playing. It's a personal taste thing this music stuff..... I like a lot of "modern" Jazz, but "jazz" on a guitar leaves me cold.

different strokes for di......

Dam it ! Just found out Rod Stewart is playing my local stadium next summer...what to do ?......>grinning smiley<

sc uk

Date: September 28, 2015 14:42

TheGreek
Jeff Beck one of the finest six string masters of all time ,who by the way has all of his talents intact from so long ago and has more soul than many in his fingers !!!!!!

Mostly in the fingers on his right hand, though smiling smiley

On a more serious note, Beck is a great guitarist - but much of what he has done doesn't speak to me. The Jeff Back Group-stuff, however, was fantastic thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 28, 2015 15:26

We call him "Jack Beff" in the Netherlands. smoking smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 28, 2015 15:59

Anbody ask Jeff about this? I don't see it happening.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 28, 2015 17:37

Love Jeff Beck, whenever he plays.

Really enjoyed Rod singing "People Get Ready" with Jeff Beck in the one-off mentioned above.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 28, 2015 19:31

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

On a more serious note, Beck is a great guitarist - but much of what he has done doesn't speak to me. The Jeff Back Group-stuff, however, was fantastic thumbs up
ok, out of the big three (Beck, Clapton (who is my favorite) and Page ) Beck is the one who is constantly plying his craft and who's chops have not left him . Sure EC does his crossroads festival and some shows here and there but that is it ,Page what has he done with the exception being the Led Zeppelin tribute for Ahmett Ertegan ? (which i enjoyed) Clapton in Cream was the top of the summit for me the highest peak .the ultra master of the blues .Page was DA Man in Led Zep.

Date: September 28, 2015 19:37

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

ok, out of the big three (Beck, Clapton (who is my favorite) and Page ) Beck is the one who is constantly plying his craft and who's chops have not left him . Sure EC does his crossroads festival and some shows here and there but that is it ,Page what has he done with the exception being the Led Zeppelin tribute for Ahmett Ertegan ? (which i enjoyed) Clapton in Cream was the top of the summit for me the highest peak .the ultra master of the blues .Page was DA Man in Led Zep.

I'd say all of them have kept their chops, and perhaps Beck has developed his even further. However, his style of today is not my cup of tea.

Date: September 28, 2015 19:43

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
TheGreek

That Big 3 concept was an interesting one. I actually believed it for a short while! These days it's kind of laughable to think how we fell for that kind of hype and how truly narrow the field was. Beck is the only one even close to the top of the head these days, imo, Page and Clapton both stagnated years go and guitar playing has been developed so much in the last few decades the list of truly excellent players is a long one.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home