Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15
Re: ALBUM TALK: Dirty Work
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 30, 2019 23:56

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 00:37 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2019 15:38

DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes
Really, Dandy?

''The bridge, with the sax, in Coming Down Again is what Sleep Tonight is.'' GasLightStreet

My bad (partly).

But I don't think he means the "you better get some sleeep toniiiiggghhttt-part"? At least, I can't hear the resemblance. The CDA-verses, however, are not too far off the bridges in ST ("they robbed you off your dignity..." vs. "slipped my tongue...").

The bridge in CMA is what Keith used for Sleep Tonight, it's the exact same progression. I haven't pulled out my guitar to find out if it's the same key but it sounds similar.

Never before or since have the Stones really lifted something from another of their own songs in that way.

Date: July 31, 2019 15:50

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes
Really, Dandy?

''The bridge, with the sax, in Coming Down Again is what Sleep Tonight is.'' GasLightStreet

My bad (partly).

But I don't think he means the "you better get some sleeep toniiiiggghhttt-part"? At least, I can't hear the resemblance. The CDA-verses, however, are not too far off the bridges in ST ("they robbed you off your dignity..." vs. "slipped my tongue...").

The bridge in CMA is what Keith used for Sleep Tonight, it's the exact same progression. I haven't pulled out my guitar to find out if it's the same key but it sounds similar.

Never before or since have the Stones really lifted something from another of their own songs in that way.

Used for what, the sax-parts or the verses ("slipped my tongue...")?

Date: July 31, 2019 16:29

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes
Really, Dandy?

My bad (partly).

The bridge, when the sax comes in at 3:55, is the main melody and chorus of Sleep Tonight.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 16:33

The Stones pretty blatantly re-used Soul Survivor for It Must Be Hell, right?

Date: July 31, 2019 17:06

Right.

Moreover, that riff and slight variations of it are being used in (wild guess) 30% of their songs. Maybe even more.

Date: July 31, 2019 17:09

keefriff99
The Stones pretty blatantly re-used Soul Survivor for It Must Be Hell, right?

The riff is extremely similar. The song is not.

Date: July 31, 2019 17:23

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes
Really, Dandy?

My bad (partly).

The bridge, when the sax comes in at 3:55, is the main melody and chorus of Sleep Tonight.

C/F/G?

Pretty common chords smiling smiley Will have a listen.

It's fantastic if that part, too comes from CDA!

Date: July 31, 2019 17:36

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
peoplewitheyes
Really, Dandy?

My bad (partly).

C/F/G?

Pretty common chords smiling smiley Will have a listen.

It's fantastic if that part, too comes from CDA!

It's not the chords, it's the progression, like how One More Shot's progression is very similar to Shook Me All Night Long. In Sleep Tonight's case, it's the same.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 31, 2019 20:23

matxil
"One Hit (to the Body)" 9
"Fight" 2
"Harlem Shuffle" 7
"Hold Back" 0
"Too Rude" 1
"Winning Ugly" 6
"Back to Zero" -10000000000
"Dirty Work" 1
"Had It with You" 1
"Sleep Tonight" 7

Not bad, close to me...

"One Hit (to the Body)" 6
"Fight" 1
"Harlem Shuffle" 6
"Hold Back" 1
"Too Rude" 8
"Winning Ugly" 1
"Back to Zero" 0
"Dirty Work" 1
"Had It with You" 4
"Sleep Tonight" 2

Date: August 1, 2019 08:49

DIRTY WORK should be deleted from their discography:

One Hit (To The Body): .01
Fight: .05
Harlem Shuffle: 4
Hold Back: -9
Too Rude: 5
Winning Ugly: -11
Back To Zero: -10
Dirty Work: .09
Had It With You: 5
Sleep Tonight: 4

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 1, 2019 15:18

One Hit (To The Body): 7/10
Fight: 7/10
Harlem Shuffle: 10/10
Hold Back: 7/10
Too Rude: 10/10
Winning Ugly: 7/11
Back To Zero: 8/10
Dirty Work: 8/10
Had It With You: 10/10
Sleep Tonight: 10/10

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2019 16:14

I like DW, the record is not so bad if we talk about albums released on 1985-86.

One Hit (To The Body): 8/10
Fight: 4/10
Harlem Shuffle: 8/10
Hold Back: 5/10
Too Rude: 6/10
Winning Ugly: 6/10
Back To Zero: 3/10
Dirty Work: 7/10
Had It With You: 7/10
Sleep Tonight: 7/10

Date: August 1, 2019 16:15

So what happened with HMS? Did he just irritate bv one too many times?

Date: August 1, 2019 16:21

One Hit - 9
Fight - 3
Harlem Shuffle - 10
Hold Back - 1
Too Rude - 8.5
Winning Ugly - 7
Back to Zero - 5.5
Dirty Work - from 8 to 4 (if the song stayed tight the way it stars out it would be a very good song)
Had it with you - 10
Sleep - 6 (I am not a fan of the late era Keith ballads at all)

Date: August 1, 2019 16:23

georgelicks
I like DW, the record is not so bad if we talk about albums released on 1985-86.

One Hit (To The Body): 8/10
Fight: 4/10
Harlem Shuffle: 8/10
Hold Back: 5/10
Too Rude: 6/10
Winning Ugly: 6/10
Back To Zero: 3/10
Dirty Work: 7/10
Had It With You: 7/10
Sleep Tonight: 7/10

It holds zero to this:

Date: August 1, 2019 18:05

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 18:07 by SomeGuy.

Date: August 1, 2019 18:08

georgelicks
I like DW, the record is not so bad if we talk about albums released on 1985-86

Right. I'm probably repeating myself here as we had this discussion a year ago or so, but some people repeat themselves also so as to make it seem as if they're the voice of many. It's what a critic wrote at the time: it's not really a good Stones album, but it's a STONES ALBUM, a lesser one is still a tad better than the rest. Or words to that effect.

I can sure think of a number of albums that I bought in '85, '86 that weren't as good as DW. Jimmy Page's Mean Business, Robert Plant's Shaken 'n' Stirred, Judas Priest's Turbo, Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time, Ozzy Osbourne's The Ultimate Sin, Van Halen's 5150, Blue Öyster Cult's Club Ninja, Rush's Power Windows, Uriah Heep's Equator... oh and Mick Jagger's She's The Boss.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 18:20 by SomeGuy.

Date: August 1, 2019 18:23

SomeGuy
georgelicks
I like DW, the record is not so bad if we talk about albums released on 1985-86

Right. I'm probably repeating myself here as we had this discussion a year ago or so, but some people repeat themselves also so as to make it seem as if they're the voice of many. It's what a critic wrote at the time: it's not really a good Stones album, but it's a STONES ALBUM, a lesser one is still a tad better than the rest. Or words to that effect.

I can sure think of a number of albums that I bought in '85, '86 that weren't as good as DW. Jimmy Page's Mean Business, Robert Plant's Shaken 'n' Stirred, Judas Priest's Turbo, Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time, Ozzy Osbourne's The Ultimate Sin, Van Halen's 5150, Blue Öyster Cult's Club Ninja, Rush's Power Windows, Uriah Heep's Equator... oh and Mick Jagger's She's The Boss.
Oh man, you listed some killer albums though.

Somewhere In Time is a classic. Turbo is cheesy as hell but a fun listen. The Ultimate Sin...definitely not Ozzy's best, but still some good tracks.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 1, 2019 18:37

Rocky Dijon
One Hit (To The Body): 7/10
Fight: 7/10
Harlem Shuffle: 10/10
Hold Back: 7/10
Too Rude: 10/10
Winning Ugly: 7/11
Back To Zero: 8/10
Dirty Work: 8/10
Had It With You: 10/10
Sleep Tonight: 10/10

Cool. Maybe people like us are pretty alone even here (maybe HMS knows what I'm talking about) but I think DW is a damn great album. That’s the ultimate hard rock album by a great band. To those who believe that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge or Bridges To Babylon are better: They're more predictable, more commercial, but not really better. They include several useless fillers, bad songs by Stones standards. I can't see any filler on Dirty Work, except Back To Zero (sounds like a She's The Boss-outtake). Okay, Hold Back or something isn't something for the Top 40, but it ROCKS. Of course the Big 6 may be even "better" (1968-72, 1978, 1981), but this album is unbelievable great, authentic. It's a pity the songs were widely ignored on tours. One Hit was played regularly in early during the 1989 tour and then dropped. Harlem Shuffle, the only mainstream thing on the album didn't have much more luck. One Hit (with "No Security"-lyrics !) would have been a killer opener in 1999; they knew that, rehearsed it - and didn't play it live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 18:40 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: August 1, 2019 19:35

<this album is unbelievable great>

Not even HMS would have gone that far. Kudos! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 19:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 1, 2019 21:50

Monsoon Ragoon
Maybe people like us are pretty alone even here (maybe HMS knows what I'm talking about) but I think DW is a damn great album. That’s the ultimate hard rock album by a great band. To those who believe that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge or Bridges To Babylon are better: They're more predictable, more commercial, but not really better.

Nah, for me DIRTY WORK never approaches the quality of UNDERCOVER, PRIMITIVE COOL, TALK IS CHEAP, STEEL WHEELS, the two new FLASHPOINTs, MAIN OFFENDER, WANDERING SPIRIT, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON, or the SOME GIRLS bonus disc. I do like it better than SHE'S THE BOSS, GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, FOUR NEW LICKS, FOUR NEW ALFIEs, Charmed Life, the furry GRRRegory twins, or CROSSEYED HEART, though. I would probably say it's batting the same average as A BIGGER BANG, the EXILE reheated leftovers, and BLUE AND LONESOME.

It's the Stones, none of it is dreck. For Clapton's sake people, I'm not GasLight. I like "Honest Man."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 22:06 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2019 00:09

One Hit - 4/10
Fight - 1/10
Harlem Shuffle - 5/10 The song is good but it's not an original composition
Hold Back - 1/10
Too Rude - 1/10
Winning Ugly - 5/10
Back To Zero - 1/10
Dirty Work - 1/10
Had it With You -1/10
Sleep Tonight - 5/10

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: August 2, 2019 00:32

This album comes bottom of the pile for me. The only good track on it is a cover version. Creatively they really hit a low point in the mid 80s. How much of that was to do with the bullshit going on in the background is hard to know but I'm sure it didn't help. I became a fan in 82, just missed the 82 tour and although I liked Still Life it was nothing compared to Ya Ya's so I couldn't wait for a new original album.

When Undercover was released I had mixed feelings about it and looking back I think as a teenager I just wasn't ready to admit that the band I had grown to love could release something so average. Dirty Work was even worse than Undercover and they are two albums I never listen to. Thankfully Steel Wheels was infinitely better and after thinking they would never tour again I finally got to see them in 1990 for the first time. The only track they did off those two albums was Harlem Shuffle, which says it all really.

Date: August 2, 2019 00:52

<The only good track on it is a cover version>

Which one?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 2, 2019 00:57

I love DW.
Miles better than everything after bridges to babylon
Some of their best guitar work, for instance the title track.
Drums and jagger on fire. Great stuff.
But: needs a good remix to get rid of the bad production

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: August 2, 2019 01:11

DandelionPowderman

Which one?

Harlem Shuffle.

Date: August 2, 2019 01:13

redkev
DandelionPowderman

Which one?

Harlem Shuffle.

thumbs up

Date: August 3, 2019 06:10

Rocky Dijon
Monsoon Ragoon
Maybe people like us are pretty alone even here (maybe HMS knows what I'm talking about) but I think DW is a damn great album. That’s the ultimate hard rock album by a great band. To those who believe that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge or Bridges To Babylon are better: They're more predictable, more commercial, but not really better.

Nah, for me DIRTY WORK never approaches the quality of UNDERCOVER, PRIMITIVE COOL, TALK IS CHEAP, STEEL WHEELS, the two new FLASHPOINTs, MAIN OFFENDER, WANDERING SPIRIT, VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON, or the SOME GIRLS bonus disc. I do like it better than SHE'S THE BOSS, GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, FOUR NEW LICKS, FOUR NEW ALFIEs, Charmed Life, the furry GRRRegory twins, or CROSSEYED HEART, though. I would probably say it's batting the same average as A BIGGER BANG, the EXILE reheated leftovers, and BLUE AND LONESOME.

It's the Stones, none of it is dreck. For Clapton's sake people, I'm not GasLight. I like "Honest Man."

There's something wrong with you. Better than CROSSEYED HEART on top of you liking the pathetic Honest Man?

That's crazy.

Date: August 3, 2019 07:00

Well, possibly that line amused me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home