Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Wilco live
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:31

I just saw Wilco at the fabulous State Theater in Kalamazoo. WOW! Like sitting in a club watching magic. They came on and played their entire album without a word the audience. In sequence it was a huge powerful artistic statement. Some great grinding guitar rock. Strange flower country ballads. Classic garage rock channeling the Velvet Underground.
Tweedy after the last song said, "that's our new album Star Wars". They they launched into a wonderful set mixing the strange and powerful. 32 songs. And an end of show acoustic set. Stunning. See them live on this tour. They are the carrying the flame.

Re: OT: Wilco live
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:00

They have been 1 of my absolute favorite bands for a long time. Ever since "Summerteeth" came out. I liked the 1st 2 records plenty but I went off the cliff with that one. I saw them in August (latest of many shows) & they were again amazing. Nels Cline is on my short list of favorite guitar players & he just went off at the most recent show. Truly a great band who are following their muse & not just chasing the money. All of the musicians are first rate & Jeff Tweedy continues to grow as a songwriter. He kind of reminds me of Neil Young in some ways. I don't think he'd be unhappy with that comparison! smoking smiley

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:04

They're the only band I follow around to all shows when they tour Australia, aside from The Stones.
They're that good. Don't miss any chance you have to see them!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:07

Yeah. Saw them in Melbourne straight after Springsteen in March 2013. God they were great. Just out of this world brilliant.

Rod

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:49

crholmstrom
He kind of reminds me of Neil Young in some ways. I don't think he'd be unhappy with that comparison! smoking smiley

Jeff is a huge Neil Young fan. In the late 90's in San Francisco he and others in the band went out of their way to meet him and were blown away by the experience. I was there and all Jeff could talk about for the next two days was Neil.

Glad people are so thrilled about them these days, they are indeed a great act but I still believe their shows from 1996-1999 were untoppable. It was when they truly developed that genuine alt-country amazing live show thing. Every song in the set just slayed the audiences and they had one of the best "from the heart" guitarist/keyboard/singers ever...Jay Bennett. Nels is a great guitar player, competent to the extreme, but there was a soul that Jay had that I've never been able to feel from Nels.

VERY cool that they played the entire new record in order! Who out there is doing that these days?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-19 18:59 by Naturalust.

Date: September 20, 2015 00:33

Naturalust
crholmstrom
He kind of reminds me of Neil Young in some ways. I don't think he'd be unhappy with that comparison! smoking smiley

Jeff is a huge Neil Young fan. In the late 90's in San Francisco he and others in the band went out of their way to meet him and were blown away by the experience. I was there and all Jeff could talk about for the next two days was Neil.

Glad people are so thrilled about them these days, they are indeed a great act but I still believe their shows from 1996-1999 were untoppable. It was when they truly developed that genuine alt-country amazing live show thing. Every song in the set just slayed the audiences and they had one of the best "from the heart" guitarist/keyboard/singers ever...Jay Bennett. Nels is a great guitar player, competent to the extreme, but there was a soul that Jay had that I've never been able to feel from Nels.

VERY cool that they played the entire new record in order! Who out there is doing that these days?

They did the whole new record at the show I went to, also. It's a very good record & came off very well live. I saw them with Jay more than once & have hung with Ken, the original drummer. He was playing with some friends. I think Nels has a real Jeff Beck thing going on. During the last show he was having some tuning problems with his guitar during "Impossible Germany" & managed to turn it into maybe the best version of that I've ever heard. The band was just staring at him. I've seen that happen with Jeff Beck, too. The Jay Bennett thing was tragic but I can see both sides. I've witnessed the democratic approach with bands not working out well more than once & I think after Uncle Tupelo, Jeff Tweedy wanted Wilco to be his band. You could see it in the movie. I'll always love the records Jay was on but I really like how Wilco has continued to grow & keep things interesting. There are precious few really good bands like that out there that have managed to keep it going 20 years without a noticeable fall off in quality. I really like how they refuse to be pigeon holed into any one expectation. I expect they will be with us for awhile still & that's a good thing.

Date: September 20, 2015 01:55

crholmstrom
Naturalust
crholmstrom

They did the whole new record at the show I went to, also. It's a very good record & came off very well live. I saw them with Jay more than once & have hung with Ken, the original drummer. He was playing with some friends. I think Nels has a real Jeff Beck thing going on. During the last show he was having some tuning problems with his guitar during "Impossible Germany" & managed to turn it into maybe the best version of that I've ever heard. The band was just staring at him. I've seen that happen with Jeff Beck, too. The Jay Bennett thing was tragic but I can see both sides. I've witnessed the democratic approach with bands not working out well more than once & I think after Uncle Tupelo, Jeff Tweedy wanted Wilco to be his band. You could see it in the movie. I'll always love the records Jay was on but I really like how Wilco has continued to grow & keep things interesting. There are precious few really good bands like that out there that have managed to keep it going 20 years without a noticeable fall off in quality. I really like how they refuse to be pigeon holed into any one expectation. I expect they will be with us for awhile still & that's a good thing.

Nice post. I can understand what you are saying. Haven't seen that movie, not sure I could bear to see it for several reasons. I was told it was not particularly honest on some levels, there were things going on that were not shown. I think what happened with Jay and Ken and others is that Tony. M. their manager convinced Jeff he was the star sometime during that period and it went to Jeff's head. Of course he is a talented guy but he works much better with talented people around him. Saw his solo show this summer and was less than impressed. Jeff is a great songwriter, I've known him since the Uncle Tupelo Days, but he can difficult like anyone and nobody knows that better than Jay (RIP) and Ken Coomer who was a great great drummer in that band and still a good friend.

Glad you saw some shows with Jay, those were the good old days man and some of those shows were like seeing the Stones in their classic period. Really raw and heartfelt rock and roll. Very much an EOMS feel to them.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 20, 2015 02:12

Oh...I thought this thread was about Wilco Johnson, but that's Wilko. Sorry, I am out of here.

Date: September 20, 2015 12:22

The show I saw in August (Redmond, WA) is available on the Wilcoworld site store. Evidently I wasn't the only 1 who thought it was a good 1!smoking smiley

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: September 20, 2015 17:51

I saw them once with Jay on the Summerteeth tour in LA. My first Wilco show (only a month after my first Stones show in Memphis!) Jay was an unstoppable force at that time who really pushed Tweedy to new heights, the same way Jagger & Richards feed off each other.
They were the greatest bar band on the planet then. Pure, unhinged rock n roll.
What happened to Jay was just so tragic. He was so gifted and deserved better. Wilco would not have the continued success they have had if not for him.

Date: September 20, 2015 20:03

jammingedward
I saw them once with Jay on the Summerteeth tour in LA. My first Wilco show (only a month after my first Stones show in Memphis!) Jay was an unstoppable force at that time who really pushed Tweedy to new heights, the same way Jagger & Richards feed off each other.
They were the greatest bar band on the planet then. Pure, unhinged rock n roll.
What happened to Jay was just so tragic. He was so gifted and deserved better. Wilco would not have the continued success they have had if not for him.

thumbs up Couldn't agree with you more. Those were some GREAT shows! They really established themselves as an amazing live act and solidified their fan base during those years. Jay's ability to switch between guitar and keyboards and his amazing backup vocals really were the perfect match for Jeff. Like I said earlier I blame Jeff's management for that split as much as I blame Jeff. I've heard Wilco in their recent incarnation and it doesn't have that same "roll" as Keith would say as it did when Jay and Ken were in the band. It's good but it's not as good as those glorious years.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:36

I still love Wilco but I'm with you, Naturalust, in that I prefer the old version of the band. Saw them three times with Jay, twice in '97 and once in '99, and those were my favourite Wilco shows, though they've been plenty fine when I've seen 'em since. The first three albums are my favourites as well but critical consensus seems to be that they peaked after that. I just wish Tweedy would write a Stones-y rocker like Monday or I Got You again.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 21, 2015 04:06

I love the old stuff, and there was great energy there, but this band has evolved, and I love the artistic force they have become. I love Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy in the same band. Bands that try to maintain the same energy over decades often lose their luster. I think Wilco has evolved and matured into a different band than they were. I love Summerteeth a lot... But this new album, Star Wars, it is on a whole different plane, in my opinion. I find it so refreshing. It us a true artistic achievement. This is a band that has been around a long time, and gone through many changes, that's all. I dig the changes.

Date: September 21, 2015 12:33

Tate
I love the old stuff, and there was great energy there, but this band has evolved, and I love the artistic force they have become. I love Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy in the same band. Bands that try to maintain the same energy over decades often lose their luster. I think Wilco has evolved and matured into a different band than they were. I love Summerteeth a lot... But this new album, Star Wars, it is on a whole different plane, in my opinion. I find it so refreshing. It us a true artistic achievement. This is a band that has been around a long time, and gone through many changes, that's all. I dig the changes.

thumbs up

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 21, 2015 15:54

I saw the Kalamazoo show. To my ear WILCO are relying a bit too much on Sonic Youth style guitar dissonance almost to the point of it being a gimmick. That said you get your money's worth. 32 songs at the State last week. One less, if memory serves, than the last time they were there. Arguably too much.

Date: September 5, 2016 13:23

I saw 2 shows with Wilco this weekend. They were incredible. They have stripped down the stage setup & are doing really intimate shows. That doesn't mean they are acoustic. They have also tore down the setlist & are going deep, playing a lot of material that they haven't done in awhile. Nels Cline is worth the price of admission alone. Highly recommended if you have a chance to go. I think they are 1 of the best American bands right now with not many close to them. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 5, 2016 15:40

Tweedy's work with Mavis Staples needs to be recognized..nice documentary and should be seen....Wilco do indeed carry the flame...

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 6, 2016 00:40

I remember, I saw Wilco as support act for R.E.M. in 1999. They were better as the headliner.

Date: September 6, 2016 16:20

crholmstrom
I saw 2 shows with Wilco this weekend. They were incredible. They have stripped down the stage setup & are doing really intimate shows. That doesn't mean they are acoustic. They have also tore down the setlist & are going deep, playing a lot of material that they haven't done in awhile. Nels Cline is worth the price of admission alone. Highly recommended if you have a chance to go. I think they are 1 of the best American bands right now with not many close to them. smiling smiley

I couldn't agree more with that last statement. I have been holding off on all the previews of the new album due out this week so I can hear it in full with headphones. I can't wait to see Wilco again after the last tour. I've become a bigger and bigger fan over the years. It all started when I saw Uncle Tupelo in '94, then years later bought the first Mermaid Ave album (with Billy Bragg and cameos by lots of others), then bought everything else and started making sure I attended every time Wilco came around my neck of the woods. I attended Solid Sound (in Western MA) last summer ('15) and will do everything I can do do that as long as it exists. Beautiful festival. Can't wait until '17!!

I think the whole Wilco experience is what happens when you marry early '70's Stones with The Dead and even a little Beatles, as Tweedy definitely employs a lot of Lennonesque songwriting/ recording techniques.

Seek out the 2013 Solid Sound "covers" show (a Wilco show consisting entirely of covers) for evidence of my above assessment! The highlight for me is a great version of 'And Your Bird Can Sing,' performed twice back to back because it was so damn good.

Cheers.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: September 6, 2016 18:30

I think they're a great band.

Plenty of Wilco torrents on btetree.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: September 6, 2016 20:29

Yeah I saw them open for the Stones: Atl 2005

On Dylan's Americarama Tour Tuscaloosa: 2014

Hope to catch them again, Their new album comes out 9/9

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 6, 2016 22:08

I'm going to see them at the Fillmore in SF tomorrow night....psyched!

Date: September 7, 2016 13:24

Tate
crholmstrom

I couldn't agree more with that last statement. I have been holding off on all the previews of the new album due out this week so I can hear it in full with headphones. I can't wait to see Wilco again after the last tour. I've become a bigger and bigger fan over the years. It all started when I saw Uncle Tupelo in '94, then years later bought the first Mermaid Ave album (with Billy Bragg and cameos by lots of others), then bought everything else and started making sure I attended every time Wilco came around my neck of the woods. I attended Solid Sound (in Western MA) last summer ('15) and will do everything I can do do that as long as it exists. Beautiful festival. Can't wait until '17!!

I think the whole Wilco experience is what happens when you marry early '70's Stones with The Dead and even a little Beatles, as Tweedy definitely employs a lot of Lennonesque songwriting/ recording techniques.

Seek out the 2013 Solid Sound "covers" show (a Wilco show consisting entirely of covers) for evidence of my above assessment! The highlight for me is a great version of 'And Your Bird Can Sing,' performed twice back to back because it was so damn good.

Cheers.

I think Jeff luvs him some Neil Young too on a songwriting & music level.

Date: September 7, 2016 19:39

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home