Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Under The Influence Review
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 07:36

Lynd8
Any word on a DVD release of this? Perhaps with some bonus goodies??

I hope there is a DVD release! But maybe because it seems to be so tied into Crosseyed Heart it'll more or less just be considered another promo thing

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 08:14

herecomesrichard
Well I've just watched Under The Influence on Netflix. It's an affectionate portrait of Keith mixed with some promotion of Cross-Eyed Heart. It's lovingly filmed and Keith talks fondly of his father and his grandchildren. So on one level this film really works. But there's no interviews with fellow Stones, very limited clips of the Stones playing live (maybe they didn't want to pay for the rights? Maybe there's nothing left unused in the can after Crossfire Hurricane?) and no mention of heroin, Brian or Anita. Hell, this could almost be a film made for Keith's grandkids about what a swell old dude Grandpa is.

OK, so we don't need to hear the blood transfusion myth or the Mars Bar myth or whether Brian nicked Keith's chicken in the dressing room in 1963 (I haven't checked exactly when that was, fact fans) for the umpteenth time, but for any Stones fan who knows anything about the band this was pretty thin stuff. I'll probably watch it again but if you had asked me to prepare a Keith Richards bingo card before settling down on the sofa to watch this film I'd have written down Roy Rogers, art college, the Blue Lena, Redlands, stealing Anita from Brian, Altamont, the Canadian Mounties, the blind angel, falling out of a palm tree and whether Mick is a stand up guy as the things I'd expect to check off. Only the last one of these was covered, and even then only in passing.

So - a missed opportunity in many ways and for anyone who's new to the Stones and sitting down to watch this the big question will probably be 'what's all the fuss about?'

There's a couple of memorable moments. Keith talking about being reunited with Bert is very sweet. And at one point he sits at the piano and plays a snippet of Memory Motel before saying that he doesn't play the piano - 'I just piss about a bit.'

Watch it, but don't invite any non Stones fan to sit and watch it with you because you'll end up trying to fill in the gaps. There's little in here to explain how he wound up being the guitarist in the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world.

I agree with most of this. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is: UNDER THE INFLUENCE is a promotional film for CROSSEYED HEART. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, but that's what it is. If you dig that record, which I don't, you're likely to really like the film. If you don't dig the record, there's still a lot of great blues, country, and Stones clips to keep you entertained. And it is fun to hear Keith talk about the music that originally turned him on.

His latter-day "persona" (which actually both he and Tom Waits talk a bit about in the film) is a bit much for me (the elder statesman of rock-and-roll and all that) but he's still a critical part of one of my favorite bands and I dug enough of the movie to make it a worthwhile watch.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 08:48

Wow. I enjoyed UNDER THE INFLUENCE way more than I expected to. Watching him jam in the studio with Steve Jordan, Waddy, and others was such a treat to watch. And hearing him speak on subjects like his love for country music was so interesting to hear.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 19, 2015 11:06

Mel Belli
But he has revised a key part of the story: Muddy wasn't painting because of some kind of debt to Chess
or the vagaries of the record business. He was just being an industrious gentleman.

I think Muddy's children have never been pleased with the story and maybe this revision arose from conversations with some of them.

All I want to do is to get to see this somehow! Keith talking about the music he loves
is something I've been waiting for for years and years and years

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 11:26

with sssoul
Mel Belli
But he has revised a key part of the story: Muddy wasn't painting because of some kind of debt to Chess
or the vagaries of the record business. He was just being an industrious gentleman.

I think Muddy's children have never been pleased with the story and maybe this revision arose from conversations with some of them.

All I want to do is to get to see this somehow! Keith talking about the music he loves
is something I've been waiting for for years and years and years

He does at lot of that in life... Which I am sure you read. What do you mean?

Date: September 19, 2015 12:08

She doesn't have Netflix where she lives, Turner.

There are ways, you know, withsssoul...

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 12:17

Boognish
After watching this, one thought comes to mind:

Can someone please make a documentary about Tom Waits already!

Amen to that!

I really enjoyed the film - yes, clearly a promo piece for the album but beautifully filmed and there are some lovely moments. Would be great to see a directors cut/ deleted scenes as there must surely be loads of great footage that didn't make the final cut.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 19, 2015 12:52

DandelionPowderman
She doesn't have Netflix where she lives, Turner.
There are ways, you know, with sssoul...

Thanks Dande dear - I do know, and I'm working on an approach that won't trash my computer,
but these things take time.

Turner68
He does at lot of that in Life... Which I am sure you read. What do you mean?

Yes, he wrote about music in Life, but I mean a film (or series, or radio show)
focused on Keith talking about and presenting us with the music he loves.
Which I understand is what this documentary is, and high freakin time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-19 13:12 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2015 13:50

Beautifully filmed ... chock full of music as one would expect ...
Cool doco right down to the snatch of western swing in the credits ... mmmmmm

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:03

tumbled
as far as the muddy story goes, you weren't there and I wasn't there so we don't know do we? plus, it shows that Keith saw there was a human side to his idol and this doc. does the same Its nice to worship your idols but does it serve you or them any good. I find relief in the human side and wish he was able to enjoy some anonymity as most of us mortals take for granted. it was refreshing for instance to see him walking barefoot in the grass under the trees and in close proximity to dogs and cats. I wish he could just record acoustic shit and enjoy his own anonymity. fame must be a bitch.

The story ,as I recall, has been refuted by many people who were there. The idea of a classy guy like Muddy painting the ceiling seems kind of far fetched. He also helped them carry in their gear that day which seems more likely to have happened but as you say I wasn't there so why let the truth get in the way of a good story,eh?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:25

Rockman
Beautifully filmed ... chock full of music as one would expect ...
Cool doco right down to the snatch of western swing in the credits ... mmmmmm

Glad ya caught it Rockeeeeeee!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:28

Wasn't at all expecting it to be a COMPLETE life story documentary. I think lots of the stuff HERECOMESRICHARD expected has already been shown in Stones docs etc...

This was a nice film about an aging man/musician...his musical experiences...and where he is today.

I assume the clips of Keith visiting Chess Studios & Grand Ol' Opry theater etc... were done during the Zip Code tour.

Enjoyed it.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:28

FIVE STARS

Excellent. It wasn't overdrawn on the Stones and didn't linger on anything too long. And it wasn't too long.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:00

keithglimmer
tumbled
as far as the muddy story goes, you weren't there and I wasn't there so we don't know do we? plus, it shows that Keith saw there was a human side to his idol and this doc. does the same Its nice to worship your idols but does it serve you or them any good. I find relief in the human side and wish he was able to enjoy some anonymity as most of us mortals take for granted. it was refreshing for instance to see him walking barefoot in the grass under the trees and in close proximity to dogs and cats. I wish he could just record acoustic shit and enjoy his own anonymity. fame must be a bitch.

The story ,as I recall, has been refuted by many people who were there. The idea of a classy guy like Muddy painting the ceiling seems kind of far fetched. He also helped them carry in their gear that day which seems more likely to have happened but as you say I wasn't there so why let the truth get in the way of a good story,eh?

The Muddy story is past praying for: it's part of Keith's personal truth as he remembers it (why, after all, would he deliberately lie about it?) and the only reason to regret it here it is that it might distract from a wonderful documentary. The main thing I bring away from it is the sheer joy in Keith's eyes when he's playing music.

(Yes, that weathervane is fun: EXACTLY what you'd expect from a cartoon rock star's house.)

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:11

Had Netflix problems early and ended up watching in middle of the night. Really enjoyed it. Gas light street & sweet neo con have very accurate descriptions. If you want lots of new info, you'll be disappointed. If you like to see Keith casually reminiscing, you'll most likely enjoy it. I'll watch it again.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:23

Under The Influence - sponsored by Marlboro!

Nice way spend a Saturday afternoon. No earth shattering insight's but a very enjoyable watch all the same.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 19, 2015 17:27

mr_dja
Had Netflix problems early and ended up watching in middle of the night. Really enjoyed it. Gas light street & sweet neo con have very accurate descriptions. If you want lots of new info, you'll be disappointed. If you like to see Keith casually reminiscing, you'll most likely enjoy it. I'll watch it again.

Exactly, which is why I called it a nice vignette. The doc is focused on Keith's musical influences and how he creates music. There are some ancillary bits about his history and family, but that's about it. Like most everyone else here, I know the back story inside out, so I wasn't at all unhappy that it wasn't included. As for new info., anything out there we don't already know would not have been included anyhow. That's for another day, hopefully. Of course it's designed, with the timing, to coincide with the album release, but it's still a beautiful portrait of Keith.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:25

Really, really enjoy it. Nice to catch the small details, the way he thanks Gram, the sequence of Nicky Hopkins playing the outro of SFM, Keith singing "she's got a miiind" (it bring me to tears) and specially that amazing picture of Howlin' Wolf playing in a club. Yes, there was the usual (Muddy Waters painting the ceiling, why?) but very open-hearted. The way he speaks about his persona is remarcable, too. And the record is remarcable, too... nice days for Keith fans like me.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 19, 2015 19:31

I thought this was excellent...enough in it for us fanatics but also well made and fast moving for those who may not be as obsessed. Proof being Mrs Mouse sat through it and watched most of it with interest.

Yes, Keith's corny laughing was probably over done but I enjoyed it and he certainly seems to be in good form and some really nice glimpses of him playing guitar and piano..he's come along way from those cameo appearances prior to the tour.

Street fighting man from Under the influence
Date: September 19, 2015 03:26

Anyone know where i can find this outtake, I wanna say its from the black box, but i dont remember hearing it, it was quite an interesting take

.....keep on rolling.....

Re: Street fighting man from Under the influence
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2015 03:54

Wish I had an answer for you , but as everwest1 would say: "This should be a sticky thread". smiling smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:09

It is an original rough mix of the released take, quite possibly taken directly from the master tape. You could hear count-in as well as Jagger's double-tracked vocals quite clearly. As people know, all master the tapes of the Stones has been digitally transferred over the last 15-20 years, which means that there possibly is a big digital platform were all of the Stones can go in a pick a song or take, as they please. In 'Crossfire Hurricane', several rough takes from the sixties could also be heard.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:26

Could hear how the timing was BIZARRE without the full track!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 19, 2015 16:33

nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-19 16:42 by MingSubu.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:25

Could someone maybe upload a snippet of it?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:30

His Majesty
Could someone maybe upload a snippet of it?

I think I can do that later. winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:34

thumbs up

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: September 19, 2015 19:49

I'd like to hear this also

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 20:35

thumbs up

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 19, 2015 21:22

SomeTorontoGirl
Well, I was leaning forward in my seat with a big, dopey grin on my face for the duration...

me too!

i really enjoyed it and the stories of the music coming into that remarkable antenna

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home