Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Under The Influence Review
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:08

Well I've just watched Under The Influence on Netflix. It's an affectionate portrait of Keith mixed with some promotion of Cross-Eyed Heart. It's lovingly filmed and Keith talks fondly of his father and his grandchildren. So on one level this film really works. But there's no interviews with fellow Stones, very limited clips of the Stones playing live (maybe they didn't want to pay for the rights? Maybe there's nothing left unused in the can after Crossfire Hurricane?) and no mention of heroin, Brian or Anita. Hell, this could almost be a film made for Keith's grandkids about what a swell old dude Grandpa is.

OK, so we don't need to hear the blood transfusion myth or the Mars Bar myth or whether Brian nicked Keith's chicken in the dressing room in 1963 (I haven't checked exactly when that was, fact fans) for the umpteenth time, but for any Stones fan who knows anything about the band this was pretty thin stuff. I'll probably watch it again but if you had asked me to prepare a Keith Richards bingo card before settling down on the sofa to watch this film I'd have written down Roy Rogers, art college, the Blue Lena, Redlands, stealing Anita from Brian, Altamont, the Canadian Mounties, the blind angel, falling out of a palm tree and whether Mick is a stand up guy as the things I'd expect to check off. Only the last one of these was covered, and even then only in passing.

So - a missed opportunity in many ways and for anyone who's new to the Stones and sitting down to watch this the big question will probably be 'what's all the fuss about?'

There's a couple of memorable moments. Keith talking about being reunited with Bert is very sweet. And at one point he sits at the piano and plays a snippet of Memory Motel before saying that he doesn't play the piano - 'I just piss about a bit.'

Watch it, but don't invite any non Stones fan to sit and watch it with you because you'll end up trying to fill in the gaps. There's little in here to explain how he wound up being the guitarist in the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world.

Re: Under The Influence Review
Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:13

I liked it - we already have more than enough footage of "Keef"'s tall stories for the masses; this presented a much more lucid, personal account of the music Keith enjoys and what has influenced him as a musician.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:15

Well, I was leaning forward in my seat with a big, dopey grin on my face for the duration...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:16

I wouldn't mind filling in the gaps to a non Stones fan watching it with me (probably my wife)...would be fun being the Stones 'expert.'

Anyway, the way you describe it the film sounds fun to watch.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:32

Interesting how expectations will color impressions.

After reading the above post, I'm now looking forward EVEN MORE to seeing the film tonight. Reason, I didn't expect it to be about the Stones. Through all the lead up, I've been expecting a documentary about Keith's influences and how they effected this album and how they got him to where he is currently. I feel a bit sad for 'herecomesrichard' that he was expecting something else and was disappointed with what he got, but, I'm looking forward to seeing what my thoughts are after I watch this evening and 'getting what I expected'.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:32

Any word on a DVD release of this? Perhaps with some bonus goodies??

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:45

I hope you do enjoy it. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind because I had to hunt around for the Apple TV remote and Mrs H wanted me to get finished hogging the TV because she wanted to watch Celebrity Big Brother.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:54

I am also waiting to watch this but Celebrity Big Brother is well entrenched with Mrs Mouse engrossed and lining up Goggle Box next so it may be in the wee small hours and alone that I get to see it.

Posted by: fender99 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:02

I'm watching it and it is truly beautiful . Has Pierre his guitar tech. Lots of blues stuff. Bit of Stones. Keith talking about Wolf. If your into the music and love Keith good Lord you will love it. He's with Buddy Guy. I'm off to finish. He's on about Stu and the piano. It's great.

Date: September 19, 2015 00:14

herecomesrichard
...Mrs H wanted me to get finished hogging the TV because she wanted to watch Celebrity Big Brother.

I am absolutely horrified!!!

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:30

I enjoyed it alot. It's about Music! (as was announced) And not about drugs, Brian-Anita, Canadian Mounties, and all that other stuff we've seen in all those other docu's.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:41

I'll have a review soon...just poured myself a glass of wine, got some chips and salsa too....long week, capped by steamy weather and murderous traffic home from work. Disappointed that I didn't get the CD yet, but I'm gonna settle in with Keith on netflix and don't anyone f-cking bother me till it's over. Happy Keith weekend everyone! grinning smiley

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 19, 2015 01:31

I enjoyed it. It's not a 10. I give it an 8. We've all heard the drug stories, the Anita Brian Deal, and problems with Mick. This was refreshing in that it showed Keith very much in the present. The are a few Stones clips,and references to other Stones activity. Much of it talked about the new record. We heard snippets of new songs and discussions of influences in Keith's musical journey.

Date: September 19, 2015 01:33

It was nice hearing unfinished versions of the new songs as well as the progression.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:00

Here's some excerpts from Keith's YouTube channel:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 19, 2015 02:01

I'm watching it again, and getting such a sense of joy, and love for the music and musicians, and gratitude for being able to be a part of it. So nice to see Keith so happy, healthy and relaxed. And...LOVE the weather vane!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:15

yes i will watch it again when the family go to bed lol
The thing i liked the most was the fact that when the film finished with Keith saying he is not getting old, he is evolving, i found myself feeling high as a kite
For some reason Keith and his music has always done that to me smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:50

SomeTorontoGirl
Well, I was leaning forward in my seat with a big, dopey grin on my face for the duration...

a good reason to watch it alone then.

Date: September 19, 2015 03:08

It is a lovely little Keith vignette... a few of the bits that stood out for me were Keith on the piano, (the brief few notes of Melody was a real kick), the joy on his face in the duet with Tom Waits, the acoustic Trouble, and really anytime he talked about the music. I had the same dopey grin, STG...I'm going to watch it again tomorrow. It is very well done. Kudos to Morgan Neville.

Date: September 19, 2015 03:12

The Bits on the piano were fantastic! great tribute to Ian! Keith is much more clear minded than he leads on

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 19, 2015 03:20

I enjoyed this movie, but there was no mention of some of the latter Stones music. For instance, the producer could have portrayed Back of My Hand as having been influenced by Muddy Water, Howlin Wolf, or some other great blues player. A beginning Stones fan might think that only the early Stones music has any significance, when in fact much of their later music is excellent and still being influenced by their love of the blues.

Overall, the movie was great. Keith seemed healthy and flexible as he walked through his yard. I suppose that was his house in the USA.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: September 19, 2015 03:30

Keith looks like he is in a very good place.

Date: September 19, 2015 03:47

Deathgod
Keith looks like he is in a very good place.

Yeah, but he was smoking like a damn chimney. So much for laying light on the cigs these days. Keith gets away with everything. smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2015 03:47

Cristiano Radtke
Here's some excerpts from Keith's YouTube channel:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Christiano.
The clip of him playing AND singing Trouble on acoustic should lay rumors to rest that he's unable to do both at the same time. thumbs up

I'd love to see an entire Keith 'unplugged' show playing all his favorites - from Blues classics to those handpicked from his large catalogue -Stones tunes included, and whatever else he has up his sleeves.

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: September 19, 2015 04:10

I noticed that he repeats the Muddy Waters painting the ceiling in 1964 story. I've always found that a little hard to believe but apparently Keith insists it happened. Oh, well...I remember all kinds of stuff that never actually happened too.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 19, 2015 05:11

as far as the muddy story goes, you weren't there and I wasn't there so we don't know do we? plus, it shows that Keith saw there was a human side to his idol and this doc. does the same Its nice to worship your idols but does it serve you or them any good. I find relief in the human side and wish he was able to enjoy some anonymity as most of us mortals take for granted. it was refreshing for instance to see him walking barefoot in the grass under the trees and in close proximity to dogs and cats. I wish he could just record acoustic shit and enjoy his own anonymity. fame must be a bitch.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 19, 2015 05:39

When does the blu Ray come out???????

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 19, 2015 05:58

What a great documentary. Very well done.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 19, 2015 06:03

After watching this, one thought comes to mind:

Can someone please make a documentary about Tom Waits already!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-19 06:06 by Boognish.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 19, 2015 06:26

keithglimmer
I noticed that he repeats the Muddy Waters painting the ceiling in 1964 story. I've always found that a little hard to believe but apparently Keith insists it happened. Oh, well...I remember all kinds of stuff that never actually happened too.

But he has revised a key part of the story: Muddy wasn't painting because of some kind of debt to Chess or the vagaries of the record business. He was just being an industrious gentleman.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home