Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Undercover
Date: July 28, 2019 13:45

DandelionPowderman

LOL grinning smiley

Like Too Rude, Sleep Tonight, Harlem Shuffle, Had It With You and the title track? winking smiley

Fight, the demo, was actually pretty good, imo, without all the barking and shouting.

I'm pretty sure the only tracks where Charlie is MIA are TR and ST, possibly one more.

I'd actually say that I don't feel Charlie on as many as 8 cuts. The only ones where I feel fairly sure are "Had it w/you and Harlem; oh, and "Fight" maybe. I mean I am sure he is on several others but I couldnt really be sure.
re the Jagger remark, I think I meant "winning Ugly" for sure, the second part of "dirty Work" and then Hold Back and Fight, WU and OHTTB it is like he was trying out singing styles, phrasing, voices that he THOUGHT would be real hip.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2019 22:09

Witness
24FPS
Take Undercover of the Night off the Undercover album, throw the rest away.

I don't stand for this reductionist attitude towards any Rolling Stones album. However, if I would have been, one option might be to give such treatment to TATTOO YOU. In contrast, UNDERCOVER to me is one of approximately twelve great Stones albums, out of which the last three are SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2019 22:14

liddas
Don't care what other people here think, but DW is a good album.

It could have been great, given what was left out. Yet it remains a good album.

For sure I played to death when it was released, and still listen to it a lot now.

Production gets slammed often, but it stood the test of time better than Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge.

Of course, it adds nothing to the Stones' legacy and there are at least 15 other Stones albums that I like more. But one thing is to say that DW ain't no Exile - no discussion, we all agree, not even close - another is to say DW is a bad album, which it is not.

C

name 2 good songs on Dirty Work. If you say, name one, invariably people will throw One Hit to the Body at you. OK, maybe that would have worked on another album.

Name a second KILLER song. Not possible.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 28, 2019 22:42

The solicitor of Dirty Work is not here. And I'm sad to see that the interesting discourse whether Tattoo You can be considered a compilation album or not is no longer here either.
I was just going to ask HMS if I should sort TY under the compilation section in my collection or not...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 29, 2019 01:06

treaclefingers
Witness
24FPS

I don't stand for this reductionist attitude towards any Rolling Stones album. However, if I would have been, one option might be to give such treatment to TATTOO YOU. In contrast, UNDERCOVER to me is one of approximately twelve great Stones albums, out of which the last three are SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

thumbs up
You don't consider TATTOO YOU as one of their twelve great albums?

Date: July 29, 2019 01:08

treaclefingers
liddas

For sure I played to death when it was released, and still listen to it a lot now.

Production gets slammed often, but it stood the test of time better than Steel Wheels or Voodoo Lounge.

Of course, it adds nothing to the Stones' legacy and there are at least 15 other Stones albums that I like more. But one thing is to say that DW ain't no Exile - no discussion, we all agree, not even close - another is to say DW is a bad album, which it is not.

C

name 2 good songs on Dirty Work. If you say, name one, invariably people will throw One Hit to the Body at you. OK, maybe that would have worked on another album.

Since there is not one, or a first, killer song on the worst Rolling Stones album in history, there can't be a second killer song.

Date: July 29, 2019 01:11

Listening to the early versions of Tie You Up and then listening to the LP version, it's amazing how they got the songs to grow to how they wound up in such short time, because it's quit different (especially the attention to detail, thanks to Chris Kimsey, it seems).

There are some others. It's easy to hear the direction they were going for, guitar wise, in some of those earlier forms.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 29, 2019 02:33

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
liddas

C

Since there is not one, or a first, killer song on the worst Rolling Stones album in history, there can't be a second killer song.

One Hit is definitely a 'killer song' (whatever that means). Harlem Shuffle would be another. I'm not sure what defines a 'killer song' really but I would figure there is a number of Stones albums that don't have one on them. Or maybe they do, depending on what your definition of a 'killer song' might be. And, of course, Bridges To Babylon defines as the worst Stones album, ever, not Dirty Work.

But seriously, I guess we're still discussing Dirty Work on this thread?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-29 02:42 by SomeGuy.

Date: July 29, 2019 02:50

One of my favorites on U: All The Way Down. I like the lyrics for once. I wonder if it's Bill on bass though? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 29, 2019 02:54

Bridges To Babylon defines as the worst Stones album, ever, not Dirty Work.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

BTB never sound like a Stones album to me ...it's all over a Mick record.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 29, 2019 02:55

Good song yes. On keno.org it says it's Bill alright. Sounds like it, too.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 29, 2019 04:22

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS SONG WAS NEVER FINISHED AND PUT ON UNDERCOVER???????? IT'S AN AMAZING INSTRUMENTAL!!!!!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 29, 2019 05:35

JordyLicks96
SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS SONG WAS NEVER FINISHED AND PUT ON UNDERCOVER???????? IT'S AN AMAZING INSTRUMENTAL!!!!!!!!

[www.youtube.com]

Isn't the title offensive to dogs? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 29, 2019 11:25

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Witness
24FPS

thumbs up

No, maybe TATTOO YOU is not their weakest album to me, but no Stones album irritates me more.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 29, 2019 18:39

Witness
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Witness
24FPS

thumbs up

No, maybe TATTOO YOU is not their weakest album to me, but no Stones album irritates me more.

I would love to hear more details about your irritations concerning TATTOO YOU.

Date: July 29, 2019 18:41

It throws me that people see B2B as a lousy album. I find it as by far the strongest late era album. And I could surely make that point track by track.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 30, 2019 10:56

I'm a bit on the fence with B2B.
Some of it I like a lot...but some of it leaves me a bit cold.

It's more adventurous than both VL and ABB ...but somehow not as listenable as either.
[Maybe because it's very much a Mick or Keith album ...rather than a Mick and Keith album ?]

But, On the whole, I think it's a lot better than many of its detractors would have us believe.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 30, 2019 11:36

Palace Revolution 2000
It throws me that people see B2B as a lousy album. I find it as by far the strongest late era album. And I could surely make that point track by track.

Dare we hope that you expand on B2B's strong points...

The problem I have with 90s Stones is that neither of their released albums has enough personality or good songs to make a lasting impression on me. There are a handful of half-decent songs on both VL and B2B but I can’t tell you which song is on which without looking it up – they meld into one. By contrast, I can recite the titles of all songs in their proper order for all albums from 68-83 and I know a DW song or SW song when I hear it. I’m not so old - I still possess the mental acuity to differentiate the two albums if I wished but I don’t see the point – ‘90s Stones’ is good enough.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 30, 2019 12:43

Swayed1967
... I can recite the titles of all songs in their proper order for all albums from 68-83 and I know a DW song or SW song when I hear it. I’m not so old - I still possess the mental acuity to differentiate the two albums if I wished but I don’t see the point – ‘90s Stones’ is good enough.

I don't get VL and B2B tracks mixed up , but I have exactly the same recall issues...perfect to the mid 80s and very dodgy since.

In my case at least, I put it down not the quality of the product but to the fact that I got married and suddenly found that I could no longer spend half my life listening to the Rolling Stones.

[...certainly not without getting into a lot of trouble !grinning smiley" ]

Date: July 30, 2019 15:55

Palace Revolution 2000

It's their 1990s UNDERCOVER... without the talent and interest.

BTB has some pretty good songs on it... and some pretty bad ones. The unfortunate aspect of that, for me, is the awful bad songs drag the album down too much. U is opposite of that.

I get where people don't care for Feel On Baby but I find it quite interesting.

All The Way Down is hilarious and I love Mick's snideness. It should've been a proper single.

Date: July 30, 2019 17:41

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

BTB has some pretty good songs on it... and some pretty bad ones. The unfortunate aspect of that, for me, is the awful bad songs drag the album down too much. U is opposite of that.

All The Way Down is hilarious and I love Mick's snideness. It should've been a proper single.

<BTB has some pretty good songs on it... and some pretty bad ones>

No, B2B has some bad ones on it, not BTB. Remember the code!

(Sorry, couldn't resist).winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-30 17:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 30, 2019 19:06

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

Ahhhh... I can't help that there are 2 LPs with BTB as their initials and seeing that BRIDGES TO BABYLON is being spoken of here, it's within the context. After all, the spelling of 2 starts with a T...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 1, 2019 15:20

Undercover of the Night: 10/10
She Was Hot: 10/10
Tie You Up: 10/10
Wanna Hold You: 10/10
Feel On, Baby: 10/10
Too Much Blood: 6/10
Pretty Beat Up: 6/10
Too Tough: 9/10
All the Way Down: 10/10
It Must Be Hell: 9/10

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2019 16:21

I love Undercover, the last real Stones album IMO with Stu on it, a great end for the period 1963-1983, not many artists released a body of work so great like the Stones, an impressive run from Come On until Undercover, nothing was the same after that.

Undercover of the Night: 9/10
She Was Hot: 9/10
Tie You Up: 8/10
Wanna Hold You: 8/10
Feel On, Baby: 8/10
Too Much Blood: 8/10
Pretty Beat Up: 8/10
Too Tough: 8/10
All the Way Down: 8/10
It Must Be Hell: 7/10

Date: August 1, 2019 16:23

Undercover - 10
She was Hot - 9
Tie you Up - 9
I wanna hold you - 7.5
Feel on Baby - 8.5
Too much Blood - 9
Pretty beat up - 8
Too Tough - 7
All the Way Down - 9
Must Be Hell - 4

Date: August 1, 2019 16:29

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

Ahhhh... I can't help that there are 2 LPs with BTB as their initials and seeing that BRIDGES TO BABYLON is being spoken of here, it's within the context. After all, the spelling of 2 starts with a T...

It's the only 2 LPs with the same letters, innit.

No one confuses BAB with BAL, right? Of course, there's always the live disaster SAL..., followed by, well, Keith had his shoes say 50 LICKS but it got some horrible name instead, hence THE SIMIAN DISASTER.

Funny how Keith had an issue with the maize for the LICKS tour but no problem with a hits album with a ridiculous cartoon monkey on it.

The Code is the code. B2B it is.

Date: August 1, 2019 19:41

grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 1, 2019 19:58

Rocky Dijon

Rocky, I respect your knowledge of the Stones, but you just rated Side One of UC as a perfect Stones side.......confused smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: August 1, 2019 21:32

U of the Night: 7/10 - Exciting when it was brand new. Very much forgotten now.
She Was Hot - 7/10 - A decent rocker. Silly video...
Tie You Up - 5/10. Jagger S/M love song?
Wanna Hold You - 2/10. Keith love song?
Feel On baby - 1/10. They are not a convincing Reggae band...
Too Much Blood - 7/10. Horrific lyrics...
Pretty Beat Up - 6/10 Catchy, but not really going anywhere..
Too Tough - 1/10 Stones punk?
All The Way Down 7/10 - I like the lyrics
It Must be Hell 1/10 - Does the title refer to listening to this song?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 1, 2019 21:43

Elmo Lewis
Rocky Dijon

Rocky, I respect your knowledge of the Stones, but you just rated Side One of UC as a perfect Stones side.......confused smiley

You're right. I was too kind to Wanna Hold You. It should be 9/10.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home