Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
ALBUM TALK: Undercover
Date: September 18, 2015 14:57

UNDERCOVER

Pre-production:

Mid-October-November 7, 1982: unidentified studio, Paris, France

Recorded:

November 11-December 19, 1982: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France
January 30-February 9, 1983: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France
February 15-Mid-March 1983: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France

Overdubbed & mixed:

Early May-May 9, 1983: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
Late May-early June 1983: The Hit Factory, New York City, USA
Late June-August 1, 1983: The Hit Factory, New York City, USA

Producers: The Glimmer Twins & Chris Kimsey
Chief engineer: Chris Kimsey
Mixer: Chris Kimsey
Released: November 1983
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA & EMI)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Chuck Leavell, Ian Stewart, Sly Dunbar, Robbie Shakespeare, Moustapha Cisse, Martin Ditcham, Brahms Coundoul, David Sanborn, Jim Barber, Chops (The Sugarhill Horn Section).

Undercover of the Night
She Was Hot
Tie You Up (The Pain of Love)
Wanna Hold You
Feel on Baby
Too Much Blood
Pretty Beat Up
Too Tough
All the Way Down
It Must Be Hell

Sorry about the late ALBUM TALK today. I was watching Under The Influence and listening to Crosseyed Heart!

What are your thoughts on this album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 14:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Undercover
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 15:06

Some great songs, some truly wonderful songs. The production is so awful though. Somehow it sounds thin to me, and, even for back in the day, so soft, no punch to the production at all.

Rod

Date: September 18, 2015 15:18

I have to disagree there, bitusa. There's nothing thin to songs like Tie You Up, Too Tough, All The Way Down, Pretty Beat Up or It Must Be Hell.

Some people have trouble with the analog delay-effect they were using on the guitars round this time (Little T+A, She's So Cold, She Was Hot), and that's a fair thing.

The «produced» numbers (Undercover Of The Night, Feel On Baby and Too Much Blood) still sound good today, imo, even though the technology they used is hopelessly dated.

Their last consistently great record, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 15:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 18, 2015 15:26

This album has a very even standard ... every song is a 3/5

Favorite: ' She was hot ' (or is it ' Feel On ... ' or ' All The Way.. ')

The sensational Promo Video:

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 15:28 by Come On.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:03

Come On

Very reminiscent of Jagger' "let' s work". I like the latter better: it has a decent bridge, and of course, Mr Jeff Beck.

Date: September 18, 2015 16:05

LuxuryStones
Come On

Very reminiscent of Jagger' "let' s work". I like the latter better, it has a decent bridge.

Pass the crack pipe grinning smiley

Date: September 18, 2015 16:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 16:08 by LuxuryStones.

Date: September 18, 2015 16:07

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Come On

Very reminiscent of Jagger's "let' s work". I like the latter better, it has a decent bridge.

Pass the crack pipe grinning smiley

Even better, I edited my post grinning smiley

Date: September 18, 2015 16:12

smileys with beer

Date: September 18, 2015 16:13

DandelionPowderman
smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:27

I wonder if there is really anybody around who likes Mick Jagger´s "Let´s Work". I guess not even Mick likes it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I remember I turned to stone, as I first heard it, I simply couldn´t believe what I heard. I felt incredibly ashamed for Mick, it's by far the lowest moment of his career.eye popping smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:07

i bought undercover in august 1988 almost 8 months since i became a stones fan. was just getting to know the bands back catalogue and was surprised they were still making records in 1983, i always thought previously they had chucked recording in the 70,s and only done concerts.

i had already read many negative reviews of the album like i had with most stones albums i was buying around that time, so opinions can become distorted when confused with so called experts reviews.

after a couple of listens i came to the view it wasnt very good except she was hot and undercover, but over the months it grew on me and was always wondering why they never toured with it.

looking back many years later its an album that has some great and some good songs, a bit of filler like most do aswell. glad when they done she was hot at the 02 in 2007.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:58

LuxuryStones
Come On

Very reminiscent of Jagger' "let' s work". I like the latter better: it has a decent bridge, and of course, Mr Jeff Beck.

You are now on record as having the word 'Like' and "Let's Work" in the same sentence.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 18, 2015 18:02

Undercover of the Night ==> GOOD, INTERESTING, UNPLAYABLE LIVE
She Was Hot ==> DECENT, FUN
Tie You Up (The Pain of Love) ==> BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM
Wanna Hold You ==> VERY VERY BAD
Feel on Baby ==> VERY GOOD, ONE OF THEIR BEST REGGAE EFFORTS

Too Much Blood ==> GOOD FUN
Pretty Beat Up ==> GOOD FUN
Too Tough ==> BORING FILLER
All the Way Down ==> BORING FILLER
It Must Be Hell ==> THE MOTHER OF ALL FILLERS

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 18, 2015 18:06

HMS
I wonder if there is really anybody around who likes Mick Jagger´s "Let´s Work". I guess not even Mick likes it. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I remember I turned to stone, as I first heard it, I simply couldn´t believe what I heard. I felt incredibly ashamed for Mick, it's by far the lowest moment of his career.eye popping smiley

I remember when it came out. I'd just recently become a Stones fan, whereas most of my friends only listened to new-wave. We were having some beers, watching MTV and then this "song" came on. A very embarrassing moment. I remember that one of my friends even said: "Oh well, it's not worse than the Stones". And what with Dirty Work that had just come out, I couldn't even blast him away with as much force as I'd've liked to.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 18, 2015 18:39

Always loved this album, especially Undercover and Feel On Baby. Oh and She Was Hot is great! Only problem for me ... Too Much Blood. I just don't like it, never did.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 18, 2015 18:42

A rather rough and raw album with no ballad at all, two complete drop outs (Feel On Baby, Too Much Blood, both incredibly bad). The beginning with three great tracks in a row, one of them very unusual (Undercover) with new Stones-untypical experimental touch. The last three are slightly above average, too. But in general a rather mediocre product, not much better, not much worse than Tattoo You, "okay we must do an album again ...", but the music on it is no must-be, there seems to be no intrinsic motivation longer ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 19:19 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 18, 2015 20:44

I've praised this album many times before on IORR. It is one of my very favorites. This album, to me, represents the very last evolution of creativity from the Rolling Stones. They were still making music that felt right to them. The fact it wasn't as commercially successful as they had hoped helped them bag any plans to tour and I feel in that they gave up an opportunity to promote it and turn it into another top-selling, influential Stones album. For me, Undercover is a very smart, mature rock album. I love the grooves, the dark-ish feel, the vocals, everything. I thoroughly enjoy that album in its entirety, to this day, played loud. What came after (albumwise) were attempts at relevancy with glimpses of what once was. To me Dirty Work was dreadful, SW was really just ok, VL was pretty good, BtB was better, ABB was ok. Each record has a gem or two, but Undercover is a delight from start to finish, imho.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:50

Undercover of the Night --- outstanding, brilliant
She Was Hot --- very very enjoyable
Tie You Up (The Pain of Love) ---- great
Wanna Hold You ---lighthearted fun-rocker
Feel on Baby ---- secondbest track on the album
Too Much Blood --- in some way interesting, but not my cup of tea.
Pretty Beat Up --- very good, almost great
Too Tough --- very enjoyable
All the Way Down --- extremely enjoyable
It Must Be Hell ---- very enjoyable

I like this album very much now, but had a bad start with it. It was the first new release I ever bought from the Stones and before that I only knew TY, SG, ER and the Rolled-Gold-Comp. So they sounded completely different compared to the older material which I loved. I listened to Undercover a couple of times and then never touched it for a few years. I re-discovered it in the late 80s and suddenly I was impressed in the most positive way. I like the dark atmosphere, the grooves, the rythmn. Undercover of the night is THE killer track of the album, followed by Feel On Baby. The last three tracks I would not call fillers, they are classic Stones-rockers and very enjoyable. Still have some problems with Too Much Blood but can live with it. If they never had recorded Dirty Work, Undercover would be their best 80s-LP, so of course Dirty Work wins the prize.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:25

Horrific cover. Silly overproduced videos. I was expecting more of a Tattoo You II when it came out. So I was a bit disappointed. No immediate hit song on the album. Or even close to it.
In hindsight I have upvalued the album though. Maybe it was their last great effort?

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:12

A mess of a recording, awful sound and weak songs, although the title track at the time seemed better and it was a good video. This record always sits in my mind as the start of the decline in song writing.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 23:51

I only this week discovered this alternate Undercover of the Night DJ version never released to the public:

>>> [www.youtube.com]

Like the instrumental Dance that was only for DJs. (Such an odd thing to promote something the public can't buy!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 23:54 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:16

The last time they took chances and played with their own integrity.
The title track are among their most important tracks, 'She Was Hot' is great, 'Too Much Blood' is great. Other than that, there's lot of uninspired tracks, but at least they try something different on a couple of songs. It's still beyond me what people sees in a crap tune like 'Pretty Beat Up'. It's among the absolute worst material they ever commited to tape!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:46

Stoneage
Horrific cover. Silly overproduced videos. I was expecting more of a Tattoo You II when it came out. So I was a bit disappointed. No immediate hit song on the album. Or even close to it.
In hindsight I have upvalued the album though. Maybe it was their last great effort?

are you having a slight case of schizophrenia?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 19, 2015 03:29

They should make a deluxe reissue of Undercover.

Bonus CD:

1. Undercover of the Night (Dub/Dance extended version)
2. Feel On Baby (Dub)
3. She Was Hot (Extended Promo version)
4. Think I'm Going Mad (B-side)
5. Too Much Blood (12" version)
6. Still In Love (outtake) - with lyrics
7. It's a Lie (outtake)
8. Keep It Cool (outtake) - with proper lyrics
9. Undercover (Version IV)
10. Too Much Blood (early version)

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:28

treaclefingers
Stoneage

are you having a slight case of schizophrenia?

Sorry, great was a bit to much. Good then. And I mean the effort not necessarily the result. And taken things to come in consideration. You know, World War III and things like that...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:38

matxil
HMS

I remember when it came out. I'd just recently become a Stones fan, whereas most of my friends only listened to new-wave. We were having some beers, watching MTV and then this "song" came on. A very embarrassing moment. I remember that one of my friends even said: "Oh well, it's not worse than the Stones". And what with Dirty Work that had just come out, I couldn't even blast him away with as much force as I'd've liked to.

If that doesn't sum up DIRTY WORK as being as awful as it is nothing does.

Your friend was wrong, though - Let's Work is worse than all of DIRTY WORK.

And look at the lineage - DIRTY WORK, Let's Work... Rock And A Hard Place.

Awful. DIRTY WORK makes VOODOO LOUNGE seem like EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 12:53

I was a teenager when this came out, and was really unfamiliar with what it was supposed to feel like when a new Stones album came out.

My excitement was immense when I put Undercover on. The cover sure looked cool. I felt like "this could be the next Sticky Fingers!" It really seemed like every new Stones album held that sort of promise back then, back before the string of albums like this made me jaded and cynical.

Anyway, I remember being really bummed after listening to it as a tender young lad and wondering if it was just me, that I just didn't get what they were doing, or if it really just wasn't a very good album.

By the time I got to college and went back and listened to it more i realized how mediocre it really was. It would be false to call this a "bad" album, but in the context of 1983 , it was a bad Stones album, and worse, a sign that perhaps the IORR and GHS level of quality was the "new normal" rather than those albums just being a really bad dry spell.

Date: September 22, 2015 13:16

Blueranger
The last time they took chances and played with their own integrity.
The title track are among their most important tracks, 'She Was Hot' is great, 'Too Much Blood' is great. Other than that, there's lot of uninspired tracks, but at least they try something different on a couple of songs. It's still beyond me what people sees in a crap tune like 'Pretty Beat Up'. It's among the absolute worst material they ever commited to tape!

An infectous groove? winking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 22, 2015 13:18

This album reminds me of a terrible time I was having with life in general and my own circumstances, at the time it came out, in particular..

It was the one album I listened to then to cheer me up. I'll always love it. It's got maybe the most 'outlier' type of approach the Stones ever took, to an album. Well, maybe TSMR has that distinction...

anyway i feel it's one of their great ones.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home