Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 12, 2016 16:03

CaptainCorella
Enough. Please!

This is supposed to be a thread about New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016.

Not about the boy band "One Direction". (Pedantically abbreviated to 1D, not OD).

Please, let's get back to rumours and hopefully news about a New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016.

Thanks.

The collaboration with the boy band's maestro is a rumour about the new album. However, since you've clearly been made the new moderator, we will all respect your 50+ years of authority and avoid any further discussion. I hear when they returned to Chess Records to cut the blues album they found Robert Cray painting the Goddamn ceiling. He's not selling many CDs these days...

Posted by: TooTight ()
Date: April 12, 2016 16:05

Not a note heard yet and already the album is the worst ever or "will make Dirty Work sound like a masterpiece".

Amazing.

Date: April 12, 2016 16:25

Rocky Dijon
CaptainCorella
Enough. Please!

This is supposed to be a thread about New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016.

Not about the boy band "One Direction". (Pedantically abbreviated to 1D, not OD).

Please, let's get back to rumours and hopefully news about a New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016.

Thanks.

The collaboration with the boy band's maestro is a rumour about the new album. However, since you've clearly been made the new moderator, we will all respect your 50+ years of authority and avoid any further discussion. I hear when they returned to Chess Records to cut the blues album they found Robert Cray painting the Goddamn ceiling. He's not selling many CDs these days...

grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2016 16:48

desertblues68
No way this is not on! If it is true the new album will make Dirty Work sound like a masterpiece!eye popping smileyangry smileysad smiley

That's understandable but... impossible. The sound of fingernails on a chalk board is a masterpiece compared to DIRTY WORK.

More wait and see with what they're doing.

It seems that they're not spending months in the studio like they did with VOODOO and BRIDGES. I doubt Doom And Gloom and One More Shot are any indicator of what they'll sound like since those tunes are essentially in the same space as Highwire, Sex Drive and Don't Stop etc: nothing special, just recordings. Although DAG and OMS sound better than those.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 07:14

lem motlow
first off -this "blues record " is a figment of your imaginations.there was never any "blues cover record" or blues flavored album and there never will be so forget it.
the band do blues covers when they're working all the time.there are bootlegs of songs from almost every record that are straight blues,maybe one makes it to the record.

here's a qoute from the "ask keith" section of his website.

FAN:keith would you ever do a cover record of old blues songs?

KEITH: NO,because i love the blues but it's only a small part of what i do.

this producer or whatever is probably only working on one song,the commercial single.the days of the stones putting out another great blues based album are over.they don't have the chops at playing or writing,we've had 35 years to figure that out,it should've sunk in by now.

These blues songs were not recorded as warm up songs. Not that they will keep all of them but these are songs recorded for an album. And most of them are blues covers. 11 if I remember correctly.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 13, 2016 07:53

mpj200
lem motlow
first off -this "blues record " is a figment of your imaginations.there was never any "blues cover record" or blues flavored album and there never will be so forget it.
the band do blues covers when they're working all the time.there are bootlegs of songs from almost every record that are straight blues,maybe one makes it to the record.

here's a qoute from the "ask keith" section of his website.

this producer or whatever is probably only working on one song,the commercial single.the days of the stones putting out another great blues based album are over.they don't have the chops at playing or writing,we've had 35 years to figure that out,it should've sunk in by now.

These blues songs were not recorded as warm up songs. Not that they will keep all of them but these are songs recorded for an album. And most of them are blues covers. 11 if I remember correctly.

thumbs up

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 08:00

I think this is great news about the blues covers. And it's especially great because of how the songs were recorded. We'll get the raw-live Stones energy on the new LP. Who cares if they wrote the songs? Whenever they do a cover they make it their own. This is all encouraging info, rather than having them locked in a studio for months at a time, we'll get this great stuff that they just got together and played all the way through. You know, they'll have to do overdubs and add stuff, and that'll all be great too. So I say: great, great, great.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2016 10:06

Carl posts he is working on new Jagger music, didn't he? Not Stones?

Rod

Date: April 13, 2016 10:12

bitusa2012

Nothing would please me more, if that were true. However, it would be oddly timed for Mick to be working on a solo album now, wouldn't it?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 13, 2016 11:21

DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

Nothing would please me more, if that were true. However, it would be oddly timed for Mick to be working on a solo album now, wouldn't it?

One guess: Mick presents his demos to the rest of the band. Some songs are approved. Those are immediately recorded by the Stones. Other songs are not approved. Mick finishes those songs, too, at almost the same time during this energy boost.

Date: April 13, 2016 11:35

Witness
DandelionPowderman
bitusa2012

One guess: Mick presents his demos to the rest of the band. Some songs are approved. Those are immediately recorded by the Stones. Other songs are not approved. Mick finishes those songs, too, at almost the same time during this energy boost.

I don't believe he would do it like that. A pic from Bernard of Keith in the studio, a pic from Carl Falk of him and Mick.

No, I believe Mick wants a hit, and that he got the green light to collaborate with a «hot» producer to make one.

Another theory (albeit frightening) is that Mick is writing songs with Falk, where Falk will get producer credits only.

It's a dirty business smiling smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 13, 2016 11:49

Just wait and see
Just wait and see

(Jagger/Richards: "Congratulations" 1964)

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 12:31

Mick wants a hit?
Mick is wrong. The Stones will never ever have a "hit single" again, no matter who produces it. The Stones are in their seventies, 12-year old kids choose what tops the charts nowadays. This has nothing to do with the producer. When we were young, did we help Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby to top the charts? No we didnt give a shyte about their new releases. And most of the youngsters today also do not care about musicians who could be their grand-grand-parents.

The new album will go No 1 for sure, but the single will reach No 78 (with a little luck).

Who cares about the single-charts, it´s absolutely meaningless and certainly no playground for dinosaurs.

Date: April 13, 2016 13:03

HMS
Mick wants a hit?
Mick is wrong. The Stones will never ever have a "hit single" again, no matter who produces it. The Stones are in their seventies, 12-year old kids choose what tops the charts nowadays. This has nothing to do with the producer. When we were young, did we help Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby to top the charts? No we didnt give a shyte about their new releases. And most of the youngsters today also do not care about musicians who could be their grand-grand-parents.

The new album will go No 1 for sure, but the single will reach No 78 (with a little luck).

Who cares about the single-charts, it´s absolutely meaningless and certainly no playground for dinosaurs.

What about Frank Sinatra and "Strangers in the Night" then? Whoever contributed to its charts topping status. One never knows for sure these things about pop.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 13, 2016 13:14

Witness
What about Frank Sinatra and "Strangers in the Night" then? Whoever contributed to its charts topping status. One never knows for sure these things about pop.

Times were different then, music was different back then, record-buyers and their age were different and Sinatra was hardly 50 of age.

Sinatra pushed hard to have a "hit-single" in 1984 and hired Quincy Jones to produce it who just had produced all the Michael-Jackson-hits. But Sinatra was close to 70 and the youngsters didnt care about his single "L.A. Is My Lady" which flopped. Today the situation for the Stones is quite similar, imo.

Yes, you can never know for sure, but when did an artist of mature age top the single-charts in the last couple of years.

Date: April 13, 2016 13:52

Sinatra actually was 50, when he had "Strangers in the Night".

Date: April 13, 2016 14:16

HMS
Mick wants a hit?

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 13, 2016 15:17

The chances for a hit is less than zero, the radio won't play anything by an artist over 40 and the Stones music is so out of touch on today's era of R&B and alternative music.

Their last Hot 100 hit was Saint Of Me which peaked at #94 on March 1998, over 18 YEARS AGO!!!

Date: April 13, 2016 15:21

I had a nightmare: a single similar to 'Everybody getting high' produced by Carl Falk!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 13, 2016 16:04

lem motlow

here's a quote from the "ask keith" section of his website.

That question was actually: "Would you ever make a SOLO blues album?"

Here's the vid (...and indeed, it's in the "Ask Keith" section of www.keithrichards.com as well...) :

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2016 17:42

Seeing that it doesn't take much in sales these days to have a #1 album I'd still be surprised if the Stones had a #1 album because if they did it would only be the week of its release.

Not that it matters.

So Doom And Gloom wasn't a "hit"?

Date: April 13, 2016 18:03

HMS
Mick wants a hit?

You do realize there are more than one format/chart these days to get a "hit" on? AirPlay is still possible for the band if they come up with a great song. Not every format plays Drake and Gaga.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 13, 2016 18:05

Witness
Sinatra actually was 50, when he had "Strangers in the Night".

Louis Armstrong had his big single hit What a Wonderful World when he was 66.
John Lee Hooker, not no 1 but still a biggie: 75 years.

Willie Nelson
Cher
Tony Bennett
Andy Williams...all respectable sales.

The great Tom Jones was 68 when he had his Islands in the Sun smash in 2009.

Age don't mean a thing.

Date: April 13, 2016 18:13

HMS
Witness

Times were different then, music was different back then, record-buyers and their age were different and Sinatra was hardly 50 of age.

Sinatra pushed hard to have a "hit-single" in 1984 and hired Quincy Jones to produce it who just had produced all the Michael-Jackson-hits. But Sinatra was close to 70 and the youngsters didnt care about his single "L.A. Is My Lady" which flopped. Today the situation for the Stones is quite similar, imo.

Yes, you can never know for sure, but when did an artist of mature age top the single-charts in the last couple of years.

Rod Stewart. And topping the charts and having a hit are not always the same thing.

Plus there are dozens of charts these days. Times are different. And it's a little nuts to try to limit what this band can do because of their age. How many acts in their 70's can still sell out stadium tours around the world year after year?

Date: April 13, 2016 18:19

georgelicks
The chances for a hit is less than zero, the radio won't play anything by an artist over 40 and the Stones music is so out of touch on today's era of R&B and alternative music.

Their last Hot 100 hit was Saint Of Me which peaked at #94 on March 1998, over 18 YEARS AGO!!!

18 years ago radio was different. Lots of artist get AirPlay at over 40 years of age. You are listening to the wrong stations. We are in the age of Internet and Satellite radio. These formats are part of the Billboard charts now.

Date: April 13, 2016 18:25

RoughJusticeOnYa
lem motlow

here's a quote from the "ask keith" section of his website.

That question was actually: "Would you ever make a SOLO blues album?"

Here's the vid (...and indeed, it's in the "Ask Keith" section of www.keithrichards.com as well...) :

Exactly. Big difference.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 13, 2016 18:27

mpj200
georgelicks

18 years ago radio was different. Lots of artist get AirPlay at over 40 years of age. You are listening to the wrong stations. We are in the age of Internet and Satellite radio. These formats are part of the Billboard charts now.

Take a look at this week's Billboard Hot 100 chart and name me one act over 40 charting there.
On 2015 only 3 acts over 45 charted on the Hot 100.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 13, 2016 18:29

mpj200
HMS
Witness

Rod Stewart. And topping the charts and having a hit are not always the same thing.

Plus there are dozens of charts these days. Times are different. And it's a little nuts to try to limit what this band can do because of their age. How many acts in their 70's can still sell out stadium tours around the world year after year?

thumbs up

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:37

DandelionPowderman

Another theory (albeit frightening) is that Mick is writing songs with Falk, where Falk will get producer credits only.

It's a dirty business smiling smiley

That happened to Marti Fredericksen on GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY. I'm not aware of any other occurrences. I'd be curious if others are rumored. A different kind of sponge job I suppose.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: April 13, 2016 20:39

I think this album is gonna be great.

It would be amazing a side A of blues covers and a Side B of new music.

It could be a good @#$%& double album!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1634
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home