Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 147
Re: New Album
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 4, 2016 22:44

RipThisBone
HonkeyTonkFlash
I seem to be in the minority here but I thought ABB was a pretty damn good album.

thumbs up Yep.

My 1986 - 2016 studio albums list:

1. A BIGGER BANG
2. VOODOO LOUNGE
3. BRIDGES TO BABYLON
4. STEEL WHEELS

Nice to know I'm not completely alone. Honestly, I think ABB is my favorite post-Tattoo You Stones album.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 4, 2016 23:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
I seem to be in the minority here but I thought ABB was a pretty damn good album.

It could've been better if they:

1) cut it down to 11-12 tracks (the same applies to VL)
2) work more on production and arrangements (sometimes it sounds "thin")

Date: April 4, 2016 23:03

franzk
HonkeyTonkFlash

It could've been better if they:

1) cut it down to 11-12 tracks (the same applies to VL)
2) work more on production and arrangements (sometimes it sounds "thin")

A valid point. I could live without Sweet Neocon or Streets of Love for sure. The production doesn't really bother me too much.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 4, 2016 23:12

lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

you know why i like you-well,...

when i used to do coke i knew this guy named steve who had the most low grade,7th generation blow you'd ever seen.i even had a name for it"stepped on steve"

now my actual person got these ki's from fla that when you bought it from him he would take out a big knife[ sometimes cutting through packaging]and ..well you get the idea.
but there was always a time,usually about the crack of dawn[two days removed]when you ran out.----- wasnt home so we had to-...call...steve....
i just went from some stuff that a week before was in a styrofoam cooler being thrown off the deck of a fishing boat in south florida to..."stepped on steve."

However-there was always someone,at some point who would look up and say"hey,you know this isnt't that bad."

HonkeyTonkFlash you are that guy,and i thank you for it-but it's not helping.

LAUGH, I NEARLY DIED.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 4, 2016 23:12

What should they have done with ABB? Re-record the whole album or fill it with overdubs like keyoards, trumpets, percussion, backing vocals?

It´s a damn good album the way it is. Just the Stones and nothing but the Stones. There is no need for post-production. Keith and Don were completely right. And I can see nothing "unfinished" or something that could be called "outtake". It is a well produced album with some great songs, some very good songs and also three maybe four rather lousy tracks - they should have released it as a 10-track album, it is too long. But still a good one. Best album since DW.

I dont understand people who say ABB is "shit". This "shit" is much better than Keith´s last solo-album, not to mention Micks solo-efforts, which are mostly poor indeed.

Oh No Not You Again, Rough Justice, Won´t Take Long, Rain Fall Down, This Place Is Empty, Laugh I Nearly Died, Sweet Neo Con, Driving Too Fast and Look What The Cat Dragged In are "shit" - Jesus Christ! What do you expect from the Stones anyway???

Well I agree with Streets Of Love and Infamy being "shit" and I´m not very fond of Biggest Mistake and Let Me Down Slow, but basically it is a very good album, I liked it when it was released and I still do.

Date: April 4, 2016 23:22

lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

when i used to do coke i knew this guy named steve who had the most low grade,7th generation blow you'd ever seen.i even had a name for it"stepped on steve"

now my actual person got these ki's from fla that when you bought it from him he would take out a big knife[ sometimes cutting through packaging]and ..well you get the idea.
but there was always a time,usually about the crack of dawn[two days removed]when you ran out.----- wasnt home so we had to-...call...steve....
i just went from some stuff that a week before was in a styrofoam cooler being thrown off the deck of a fishing boat in south florida to..."stepped on steve."

However-there was always someone,at some point who would look up and say"hey,you know this isnt't that bad."

Well, I never said ABB was Exile but what is? I still maintains that as rock albums go, it's a damned good one.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 4, 2016 23:47

HonkeyTonkFlash
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

Well, I never said ABB was Exile but what is? I still maintains that as rock albums go, it's a damned good one.

thumbs up

lem motlow is talking about an album by an other artist no?.... confused smiley

I like to know.
Maybe BUSH DOCTOR DELUXE by Peter Tosh. The one with the scrath and sniff cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-04 23:53 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 5, 2016 00:09

Current State of The New album:

I can't hardly believe the album is 'in the can' / almost finished (after supposedly just a few weeks work..) even if they did do a lot of recording in that short time frame we know of in Dec. / Jan. However I do believe they must of got a nice start already ... otherwise I think Keith may be exaggerating as usual (though what do I know?.. none of us truly know to what extent the progress is on it in reality).

On ABB:

Mick wanted to 'eventually' get to a professional studio from the beginning. Initially time at Micks house in France was only to record demos.. but it turned into the bulk / meat of the recording process. What they had going and the vibe / sound right there was working really well ... so ultimately Mick went along with the idea (after some time) of doing 'most'of the basic tracks right there. (...some of it was done at a studio later .. as well as I am sure the mixing was also done at professional studio).

Ian

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 5, 2016 00:14

HonkeyTonkFlash
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

Had they cut the 6 weakest songs out of the album, it would have been just great.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 5, 2016 00:28

One problem about that last mentionned wish is that it is far from agreement between all posters, which six songs are the supposed weakest on A BIGGER BANG. I need only read HMSs post to be reminded of that fact.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 5, 2016 00:29

mtaylor
HonkeyTonkFlash
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

Had they cut the 6 weakest songs out of the album, it would have been just great.

Theyve always had the capacity to write and record both great and shit materiL. What they uzed to be able to do though saz edit.

I love the irony of this post...

Here's what it actually should have said...memo, never post from a phone on a bright sunny day!

They've always had the capacity to write and record both great and shit material. What they used to be able to do though was edit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 01:23 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 5, 2016 00:53

Sounds like maybe nearly two albums worth of material laid down...

From Ronnie
"The guitarist told the Associated Press on Monday that the British rockers have recently been recording both original material and blues covers, with an eye toward dropping an album sometime in 2016.

“We went in to cut some new songs, which we did,” said Wood, 68. “But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.” He added, “They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin’ Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. But they really sound authentic.”

[www.ew.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 00:54 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 5, 2016 00:55

Boring 6 songs: biggest mistake, sweet neo con, streets of live, this place is empty, infamy, back of my hand. Probably add under the radar.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 5, 2016 01:14

Songs that should have been dropped:

Streets Of Love
Infamy
Let Me Down Slow
Biggest Mistake

maybe Back Of My Hand & Dangerous Beauty.

Date: April 5, 2016 01:24

HMS

Streets Of Love
Infamy
Let Me Down Slow
Biggest Mistake

wow...your first 4 were impeccable but you lost me when you added BOMH & DB

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 01:26

a bigger bang does have a lot of filler, its to be expected with 16 rolling stones songs , but there is some good stuff on the album.

infamy is good, sort of catchy tune, would have fitted into place during the early stones period.

this place is empty, typical richards ballad, good song.

rough justice, typical modern day stones rocker and well up to par for most post 1972 albums.

laugh i nearly died, sounds like a tattoo you cut, great vocals and very bluesy.

biggest mistake, fine song, never a classic though.

rainfall down, funky tune, good addition to the album.

back of my hand, sounds like an early blues demo, again never a classic but good enough for the album.

o no not you again, typical stones average rocker, nothing more.

the rest of the album is filler, 16 songs just a bit long.

Date: April 5, 2016 01:29

buttons67
a bigger bang does have a lot of filler, its to be expected with 16 rolling stones songs , but there is some good stuff on the album.

infamy is good, sort of catchy tune, would have fitted into place during the early stones period.

this place is empty, typical richards ballad, good song.

rough justice, typical modern day stones rocker and well up to par for most post 1972 albums.

laugh i nearly died, sounds like a tattoo you cut, great vocals and very bluesy.

biggest mistake, fine song, never a classic though.

rainfall down, funky tune, good addition to the album.

back of my hand, sounds like an early blues demo, again never a classic but good enough for the album.

o no not you again, typical stones average rocker, nothing more.

the rest of the album is filler, 16 songs just a bit long.

Good lord man...you are no sales guy!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 5, 2016 01:51

HMS

Streets Of Love
Infamy
Let Me Down Slow
Biggest Mistake

Not unexpected: Your clear away preferences number 3 and 4 are two out of a a couple of more not mentionned songs that contribute essentially to this album's bid for status as semi-great. A rerecording of number 1 and, besides, "Sweet NeoCon", interesting as it now is, could have been two others. Even in the marked imperfection in their present versions, both the latter songs are needed for the existing album.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 02:02

HonkeyTonkFlash

I agree. "This Place Is Empty" and "Let Me Down Slow" are both really great songs, in my opinion. And, while I see what people mean about "Streets of Love" not sounding like the usual Stones sound, I don't think that makes it a bad song. They're absolutely brilliant musicians and are capable of many, many different styles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 02:04 by stones2000.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 5, 2016 02:51

we've talked about this before-no one can agree on which songs should've been left off and that's not the point.

even if they didn't use some of the good songs it doesn't matter,the record needs to be a group of tunes that work together.

they've left plenty of good songs in the can-jivin sister fanny is great,criss cross man is a good song,they just didnt fit the record the session was from.alot of my bootlegs i listen to as much as the official releases but the actual record shouldn't be a scattershot of disjointed songs that just go all over the place.

this is the curse of the digital age.mick and keith don't have to argue,fight, discuss about what stays and what goes.they just put everything on there and go with it.

we cant have a let it bleed or whatever,thats not gonna happen.what they need is 10 songs that are in the same vain,that work as a musical statement.
a between the buttons or emotional rescue would be a high enough mark at this stage of the game.just a mark in time as to where the band is musically,not this all over the map,put out whatever mess they've been doing.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 5, 2016 03:35

So there is a new record finished? Not an April Fools joke? I do believe they can finish the music in 2 weeks. Working fast does not mean bad, look at Wild Horses done in a couple of sessions.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 5, 2016 05:38

MisterDDDD

From Ronnie
"The guitarist told the Associated Press on Monday that the British rockers have recently been recording both original material and blues covers, with an eye toward dropping an album sometime in 2016.

“We went in to cut some new songs, which we did,” said Wood, 68. “But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.” He added, “They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin’ Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. But they really sound authentic.”

[www.ew.com]

Sounds great! thumbs up

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: April 5, 2016 06:40

hot smiley would love a blues album from them!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 07:15

Let's have a true Double album? One of blues covers, one of new material. Keep the tracks/styles separate so you can play what you want when you want without one style "infecting" the other. And that's just a word I use to identify the different albums. I know and appreciate The Stones ARE a blues based band, of sorts, and that ALL their music is infused, however discreetly, with the blues! But I'd like to be able to play their "new" blues album, AND when the mood strikes me, THEIR new album, without skipping tracks on either!

Rod

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: April 5, 2016 07:47

HonkeyTonkFlash
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

Mr. HTF .. you are right about three things...

1. ABB was no Exile (how could it be and why should it be?)
2. ABB was a 'rock' based album, indeed
3. Most importantly .. it was a damn good album. ABB Rocked and it had balls. Up front and in your face ...Sincerely better than even I could of imagined them being / sounding in that particular vane. As well.... it was humorous. It had funny lyrics in places (ala Some Girls). While it may not have whopper singles.. however every track was at least 'good' and it is a solid as a rock from front to back. ABB 'hit the mark' -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 07:49 by IanBillen.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2016 08:12

kowalski
MisterDDDD

From Ronnie

[www.ew.com]

Sounds great! thumbs up

smileys with beer

Date: April 5, 2016 09:48

Then it takes too much time, too many producers involved to polish it. It will end up like an album with songs like Biggest Mistake, Streets of Love, Neo Con etc. and a miserable No. 1 single.

Thank goodness Bill, Brian and Charlie voted over Keith and Mick to have Satisfaction as No 1 in 1965, else they has been nowhere.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 5, 2016 10:53

lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash

Len, you've just summed up my thoughts exactly. We've become accustomed to decades of C+ albums.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2016 11:00

A double album with new songs and blues covers...and some reggae!
smileys with beerC'mon Stones!!

Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 12:41

deleted

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 13:21 by 1962.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5455565758596061626364...LastNext
Current Page: 59 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home