Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 23, 2015 19:49

Witness
GasLightStreet
Witness
Hairball
bitusa2012
1963luca0
Any hope the album will have a beautiful cover?

Another Chuck Berry tune??spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

That might actually be a step in the right direction - start from scratch back to the basics. thumbs up

Chuck Berry covers? I for one hope not. That would for me be backward-looking for the Rolling Stones to do.

What might be forward-looking, but at the same time working according to what for the Stones, since their releases from 1968 onwards, would be basic for them, could in my understanding be something else. That is for a couple of songs to approach some forms of ethnic musics that they have not entered before. Either cover some song or, better, recreate that ethnic music form within a Rolling Stones musical universe through songs of their own. Only for instance as an illustration, as far as I can see, I think the Stones never have created (or covered) cajun / zydego music.

However, most of all I don't want to demand them too specifically what to do.
Oh no. No way. There's not one good reason for them to cover zydeco, especially the middle of the road zydeco. That would be awful.

Does it have to be middle of the road zydeco then (unfortunately, in my post I hit the "g" on my phone)?

I must admit that I have no deep knowledge of this kind of music, myself I have shamefully got only one album with Clifton Chenier, but I did like it when it sometimes was presented as theme in a Swedish blues program that I used to listen to some decades ago. (Swedes old enough may remember the bloke, who presented it, Staffan Solding, if I have got his name right). The old distinction that was in operation in earlier days, was that Cajun was more "white" and Zydeco was more "black" music. I would have thought that efforts by the Stones into this field and possible sub species could have been interesting. And reincarnated into Rolling Stones music.

By the way, it was only meant as one possible "field" among other kinds of ethnic music categories that I would have loved the Stones to exercise their old way of fetching impulses from to give rise to new Rolling Stones in their golden ways of old.

Okay, a good reference would be two songs Mick did on Chris Jagger's Atcha album Concertina Jack: Concertina Jack and Pearl Of a Girl. They actually are pretty good……and have a Zydeco feel!!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 23, 2015 20:07

Turner68
a Swedish blues program

I, for one, would be just as interested in the Stones playing Swedish blues as Zydeco!

I must confess that I made a mess of one sentence in my earlier post.

I meant to refer to a regular program many years ago by Swedish radio on blues music.

Date: December 23, 2015 20:15

That was very interesting, Maindefender. Possibly one or two of Mick's new songs now could be of a similar kind. Maybe I ought to look for that album by his brother.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 23, 2015 20:50

We live in worrying times...the Stones are back in the studio. Ronnie has recently turned out some great solo stuff, Keith has had some success with his new record, Mick....well, he gave us Super heavy. I suppose it's who has the greater influence in any songwriting as to which way this will go. Let's hope it's more the Keith and Ronnie way, if indeed Ronnie has any input. If he doesn't then the question has to be asked, why not?

Mick and Keith haven't turned out a decent Stones album since Tattoo You and some of that was older stuff being recycled, I think the input of Ronnie in the song writing process could be exactly what they need. I wouldn't mind seeing a few cover songs in there, but I'd like them to choose carefully and pull some gems.

Let's just hope there is a God and we don;t get another ABB. My big fear is that with each new album the songs get weaker until they flicker out. These guys wrote the best rock songs the World has ever seen and that is what I'd like to remember them for, rather than songs of the ilk of ABB or worse. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 20:57

Witness
Turner68
a Swedish blues program

I, for one, would be just as interested in the Stones playing Swedish blues as Zydeco!

I must confess that I made a mess of one sentence in my earlier post.

I meant to refer to a regular program many years ago by Swedish radio on blues music.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant but, after all, the blues are everywhere and touch everyone at some point. :-)

Date: December 23, 2015 21:18

Ronnie toured with a Swedish blues band in the 80s! Totta's were great thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 22:19

crumbling_mice
We live in worrying times...the Stones are back in the studio. Ronnie has recently turned out some great solo stuff, Keith has had some success with his new record, Mick....well, he gave us Super heavy. I suppose it's who has the greater influence in any songwriting as to which way this will go. Let's hope it's more the Keith and Ronnie way, if indeed Ronnie has any input. If he doesn't then the question has to be asked, why not?

Mick and Keith haven't turned out a decent Stones album since Tattoo You and some of that was older stuff being recycled, I think the input of Ronnie in the song writing process could be exactly what they need. I wouldn't mind seeing a few cover songs in there, but I'd like them to choose carefully and pull some gems.

Let's just hope there is a God and we don;t get another ABB. My big fear is that with each new album the songs get weaker until they flicker out. These guys wrote the best rock songs the World has ever seen and that is what I'd like to remember them for, rather than songs of the ilk of ABB or worse. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

There once was an album with main input by Keith/Ronnie. They called it Dirty Work and everybody knows what the majority of IORRians is thinking of that album...

Dont worry about the Stones "flickering out". As long as they can pull out great songs like Doom And Gloom there is no need for fear.

Btw, ABB was a more than decent album, in fact a very good one. At least 10 songs are great-very good. Unfortunately they included more songs than necessary, that´s the main problem with ABB.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 24, 2015 01:16

I dont think of Doom and Gloom as a great song. Its a mediocre song,imo.
Jeroen

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 24, 2015 03:59

corriecas
Jeroen

It was certainly better than anything they'd come up with in a long time. It had a modern feel and sensibility. They're still capable of pulling out a good single from time to time like Rough Justice.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 24, 2015 04:08

corriecas
Jeroen

Agreed. Mediocre, generic, run-of the mill imo.

Slightly better live, but seems most people at the shows (including myself) were bored with it.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 04:11

HMS
It´s the Stone taking risks, they dont care if the lyrics are unpopular with a lot of people, and they take risks musically with that very Stones-unusally oriental flavor. It´s a brave statement both musically and politically. And it´s damn good.

A actually agree. I LOVE this song. It was/is different for The Stones whilst still being totally recognisable as them even without Mick's singing. Great song.

Rod

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 24, 2015 05:11

While the whole zydeco conversation is baseless, it might be worth pointing out that Keith added zydeco flavoring to TALK IS CHEAP by inviting Michael Doucet and Stanley Dural to play on a couple tracks. Somehow I suspect that was perfectly acceptable.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 24, 2015 07:59

Hairball
corriecas
Jeroen

Slightly better live, but seems most people at the shows (including myself) were bored with it.

Useless Mick's solo song.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 24, 2015 08:13

KRiffhard
Hairball
corriecas
Jeroen

Doom and Gloom: Best STONES-single since START ME UP (allthough Undercover Of The Night, High Wire and Love Is Strong are not far behind)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 24, 2015 08:25

Will be very interesting to see which direction these new recordings go. I think I understand people liking Doom And Gloom. I'm the same way with Don't Stop. Even though I realize it's a weak song it kind of speaks to me, well the title alone says it all. Wonder what these 2 songs will be like in the future after the dust settles. Will people think they are good typical Stones songs or will they think they were half baked songs made by a band that was losing interest, or just getting older. The Stones must be aware of this type of syndrome. It must be very frustrating and challenging as they realize anything they do will be measured against their past work. Either they're trying to copy themselves or they're trying to be modern "relevant" a term I'm not really pleased to see my favorite bands compete with. They're relevant to me and my generation, if the youngsters want to follow that's fine and they're welcome but I wouldn't expect it. Anyhow, it's great in my opinion that The Stones are pushing forward, or at least trying to. Hats off to them!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 08:28

RipThisBone
KRiffhard
Hairball
corriecas
Jeroen

Doom and Gloom: Best STONES-single since START ME UP (allthough Undercover Of The Night, High Wire and Love Is Strong are not far behind)

Harlem shuffle is the best stones single since start me up.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 09:41

Turner68
RipThisBone
KRiffhard
Hairball
corriecas
Jeroen

I agree about Harlem Shuffle. It swings. Probably the last Stones single I really dig. Doom and Gloom was pretty good but had no Stones feel past Mick's contribution.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: December 24, 2015 09:58

KRiffhard
...who is the producer?! It's a mistery!

At this point I hope the Stones will produce themself like in the past.
But the question is, why did the Stones wanted Don Was as producer during the 90s? Because of the succes of the album that he produced for Bonnie Raitt and other great artists?

Yes, it's a mistery!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 24, 2015 10:01

TeddyB1018
Turner68
RipThisBone
KRiffhard
Hairball
corriecas
Jeroen

I agree about Harlem Shuffle. It swings. Probably the last Stones single I really dig. Doom and Gloom was pretty good but had no Stones feel past Mick's contribution.

I also agree about Harlem Shuffle. Even though not an original, the Stones stamped their vibe on it.

Date: December 24, 2015 10:21

pepganzo
KRiffhard
...who is the producer?! It's a mistery!

At this point I hope the Stones will produce themself like in the past.
But the question is, why did the Stones wanted Don Was as producer during the 90s? Because of the succes of the album that he produced for Bonnie Raitt and other great artists?

Yes, it's a mistery!

thumbs up

Date: December 24, 2015 10:25

frankotero
Will be very interesting to see which direction these new recordings go. I think I understand people liking Doom And Gloom. I'm the same way with Don't Stop. Even though I realize it's a weak song it kind of speaks to me, well the title alone says it all. Wonder what these 2 songs will be like in the future after the dust settles. Will people think they are good typical Stones songs or will they think they were half baked songs made by a band that was losing interest, or just getting older. The Stones must be aware of this type of syndrome. It must be very frustrating and challenging as they realize anything they do will be measured against their past work. Either they're trying to copy themselves or they're trying to be modern "relevant" a term I'm not really pleased to see my favorite bands compete with. They're relevant to me and my generation, if the youngsters want to follow that's fine and they're welcome but I wouldn't expect it. Anyhow, it's great in my opinion that The Stones are pushing forward, or at least trying to. Hats off to them!

Doom and Gloom and One More Shot? Already forgotten.

Date: December 24, 2015 10:53

Rocky Dijon
While the whole zydeco conversation is baseless, it might be worth pointing out that Keith added zydeco flavoring to TALK IS CHEAP by inviting Michael Doucet and Stanley Dural to play on a couple tracks. Somehow I suspect that was perfectly acceptable.

As I was the one to suggest cajun / zydeco, I repeat that, even though I would have liked one or a couple of efforts in that field, it was by me only meant as an example of a wished-for employment of a work method towards "ethnic music"-forms that the band has not touched that much or not at all. That is, a work method practised by the Stones on illustrious occasions in the past.

My dream would be if that could contribute to result in an album that will not be seen simply as another album "post-1989", but might be considered as closing that utterly long chapter and opening a new chapter, even if a much shorter one.

Date: December 24, 2015 13:24

Rocky Dijon

I'm not sure the songs you reference really had a blatant zydeco flavor. Locked Away? Rockawhile? You Don't Move Me? I may have to play this album today, thanks Rocky...>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-24 13:29 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: December 24, 2015 15:04

crumbling_mice

I agree with most of your post, crumbling_mice although I rate Steel Wheels as a decent album but not a great one.
In a post a few days ago, which was ignored by one and all, I said I hoped Universal would exercise some sort of quality control. The thought of ABB being their last studio album is bad enough but if they issue an even weaker one...Just going for a lie down!

Date: December 24, 2015 15:36

KRiffhard
frankotero

Doom and Gloom and One More Shot? Already forgotten.

Glad I got to see these songs played live, especially OMS. With total conviction OMS is strong as evidenced on the 2012 PPV show!!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 24, 2015 16:47

Doom And Gloom & One More Shot are extremely enjoyable songs and a superb addition to their oeuvre.
The more songs like these the new album contains the better.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 24, 2015 17:00

Harlem Shuffler
crumbling_mice

I agree with most of your post, crumbling_mice although I rate Steel Wheels as a decent album but not a great one.
In a post a few days ago, which was ignored by one and all, I said I hoped Universal would exercise some sort of quality control. The thought of ABB being their last studio album is bad enough but if they issue an even weaker one...Just going for a lie down!

I think sometimes the fact that we are fans distorts our quality control...Doom and GLoom was ok...but we are talking about the guys who gave us JJF, Gimme Shelter, Tumbling Dice, Sympathy, Beast of Burden, and hundreds more top quality rock songs...in comparison to these they' have produced nothing even in the same ball park and certainly nothing on ABB. My point is, as Harlem aludes to, we are in danger of seeing these fine songwriters embarrass themselves in their twilight years, and that is something I'd prefer them not to do. Keep touring by all means, the shows are fantastic, but if they can't put out memorable new songs then why bother? Just to keep an ever dwindling number of Stones fans happy at the risk of disillusioning many in the process?

Citing Dirty Work as a Ronnie and Keith work is inaccurate...Ronnie for example, was how shall we say, not at his best at that point and it was a botched together recording where most of the band never shared the same studio. I'm hoping that the whole band get together and include Ron in the song writing process and if the writing juices are dried up, then go to the cover versions. Anything other than son of ABB.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 24, 2015 17:06

thumbs downgrinning smileyconfused smiley
HMS
Doom And Gloom & One More Shot are extremely enjoyable songs and a superb addition to their oeuvre.

Jeroen

Date: December 24, 2015 17:56

HMS

eye popping smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 24, 2015 19:11

Rocky Dijon

Not exactly. There's no zydeco on TALK IS CHEAP, just musicians that excel in zydeco. It's nitpicky, in some ways, but one could also say some rock band used slide guitar in a rock song - slide guitar is associated with blues, but it doesn't make the rock song blues.

If you follow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2320
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home