Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 19, 2015 22:50

"ca. 3rd - 16th December: London, Metropolis Studios (unconfirmed). Sessions"

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 19, 2015 22:55

MisterDDDD
Love him, but the truth is Bill was/is nowhere near "25% of the Stones magic".

Maybe.. back in the early days his percentage was higher, but as we have come to see.. very replaceable where-as none of the others left are.

I do miss his dancing.

Ronnie is only irreplaceable because he's straightened his act out and he knows the repertoire. I imagine he's had to kick it up a notch to make up for Keith's gradual fade.

Bill is only replaceable as far as the live stage goes, where you're lucky to hear the bass, much less distinguish its finer points. But on a live DVD? Forget about it. I can listen to Bill and enjoy his performance alone. Wyman and Watts made the floor Keith played from. Where Bill is REALLY missed is in the studio. The bass used to be an important instrument in the Stones. Now it's just a mediocre background thud with no emotional notes at all.

I know Bill isn't coming back. He's made that clear. But the Stones seem ear deaf to replacing him with a Stones level replacement, instead of a hired gun noodler. Gee, maybe Keith can interact more with Darryl, but how cares? Bill was his equal and didn't need to.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 19, 2015 22:58

KRiffhard
I'm worried that Mick's demos are like 'Vision of Paradise', 'Gun', 'Joy', 'Sweet Neo con', 'Everybody getting high', 'Dancing in the starlight', 'Look what the cat dragged in' and all useless Superheavy stuff!
Fingers crossed!

It starts to be irritating. Reading posts like that more than once, I for one have to say that I would not be less worried to have demos like those CROSSEYED HEART songs for a new Rolling Stones album. Adequate enough for a Keith solo album, nonetheless to me it would be far from satisfying for a new Rolling Stones album.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 19, 2015 23:00

24FPS
MisterDDDD
Love him, but the truth is Bill was/is nowhere near "25% of the Stones magic".

Maybe.. back in the early days his percentage was higher, but as we have come to see.. very replaceable where-as none of the others left are.

I do miss his dancing.

Ronnie is only irreplaceable because he's straightened his act out and he knows the repertoire. I imagine he's had to kick it up a notch to make up for Keith's gradual fade.

Bill is only replaceable as far as the live stage goes, where you're lucky to hear the bass, much less distinguish its finer points. But on a live DVD? Forget about it. I can listen to Bill and enjoy his performance alone. Wyman and Watts made the floor Keith played from. Where Bill is REALLY missed is in the studio. The bass used to be an important instrument in the Stones. Now it's just a mediocre background thud with no emotional notes at all.

I know Bill isn't coming back. He's made that clear. But the Stones seem ear deaf to replacing him with a Stones level replacement, instead of a hired gun noodler. Gee, maybe Keith can interact more with Darryl, but how cares? Bill was his equal and didn't need to.

The band is clearly in a stage in their career where they make decisions based on quality of life - who they get along with and like, for example - rather than what is best for the music. Some would argue this started with Ron Wood, about whose selection I believe the Glimmer Twins openly said that getting along with the band was the most important attribute.

Date: December 19, 2015 23:13

Witness
KRiffhard
I'm worried that Mick's demos are like 'Vision of Paradise', 'Gun', 'Joy', 'Sweet Neo con', 'Everybody getting high', 'Dancing in the starlight', 'Look what the cat dragged in' and all useless Superheavy stuff!
Fingers crossed!

It starts to be irritating. Reading posts like that more than once, I for one have to say that I would not be less worried to have demos like those CROSSEYED HEART songs for a new Rolling Stones album. Adequate enough for a Keith solo album, nonetheless to me it would be far from satisfying for a new Rolling Stones album.

Crosseyed Heart is a lovely album.

But seriously - you are only now starting to get irritated by posts like this?

Many a Stones fan who also happens to enjoy the role of Mick Jagger in and outside the context of the Stones either left this board thinking it wasn't worth posting much or they simply hang around and browse occasionally and post rarely

The echo chamber effect took over this board a long time ago.

Date: December 19, 2015 23:44

wanderingspirit66
Witness
KRiffhard
Fingers crossed!

Crosseyed Heart is a lovely album.

But seriously - you are only now starting to get irritated by posts like this?

Many a Stones fan who also happens to enjoy the role of Mick Jagger in and outside the context of the Stones either left this board thinking it wasn't worth posting much or they simply hang around and browse occasionally and post rarely

The echo chamber effect took over this board a long time ago.

I notice that you have entered three posts in the last two months and four during the last three months.

Myself I believe in an approximately 65 to 35 per cent balance in favour of Mick Jagger's earlier tendency to expand the trade mark of Rolling Stones music against Keith Richards' propensity to be innovative within that trade mark. However, to me that scope on Keith's part is somewhat too narrow as to CROSSEYED HEART, whatever strengths that album to some extent have got also in my view.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 19, 2015 23:54

Frame grab from the DG MEDIOS promo for the February 3 Chile show...presumably filmed recently in London.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 19, 2015 23:58

Cool, BBJ! Just watched the vid, looks like they did it in a hurry. Mick's giving it he's got though. grinning smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 20, 2015 00:23

Witness
KRiffhard
Fingers crossed!

+1

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 20, 2015 00:23

Keef seems a little bit tired...

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 20, 2015 00:26

....Ronnie too....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 20, 2015 02:09

They've been in the friggin studio working on a new album...>grinning smiley<

Date: December 20, 2015 02:29

Let's hope they are tired and not "tired"

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 20, 2015 02:35

bye bye johnny
Frame grab from the DG MEDIOS promo for the February 3 Chile show...presumably filmed recently in London.

Mick's neck looks photoshoped. Nice picture (I like it yes I do).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2015 02:57

Ronnie looks tired - give him some pajamas.
Keith looks stoned - give him some visine.
Charlie looks dapper - give him an award.
Mick looks ready - give him a microphone.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: December 20, 2015 03:02

Give Ronnie a pass he got that young wife to take care of hairball..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2015 03:13

GasLightStreet
So WHY did they insist on playing Undercover Of The Night and One Shit (To The Body) on the 1989 tour!!!????!!!??

Because they played their hit singles since 1981 as part of the disposable new material. The lone chart hit from UNDERCOVER, two from DIRTY WORK, and at the outset only three tracks from STEEL WHEELS. By the next tour, they were discarded for a handful of tracks from VOODOO LOUNGE. By the next tour, they kept one track from VOODOO LOUNGE (the crowd-pleaser "You Got Me Rocking" ) and added a few from BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Next tour there were only four new tracks instead of an album so they only played the single, "Don't Stop" which had no chance of being around for the next tour. A BIGGER BANG had a few songs played regularly but they seemed even less committed (look at the SHINE A LIGHT Beacon Theater concerts - newest material was 23 years old - "She Was Hot" and "Undercover of the Night" ). This time out they toured with only two new songs and one of them quickly fell out of the set list.

Imagine if instead of the same warhorses show after show, the oldies were treated as the surprise nuggets of their set lists and their concerts reflected who they were as artists in 1989, etc. all the way to 2015? They might not be able to be viewed as a billion dollar cash cow when they tour, but they could have something they are currently missing - respect as artists who believe they write and produce material audiences deserve to hear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 03:18 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 20, 2015 03:19

I thought they played four songs from steel wheels - sad sad sad, rock and a hard place, mixed emotions, and can't be seen.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: December 20, 2015 03:19

ohmercy61
Give Ronnie a pass he got that young wife to take care of hairball..

It is a screen grab from a video, not a still pic, so I think we should give them all a pass.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2015 03:33

Turner68
I thought they played four songs from steel wheels - sad sad sad, rock and a hard place, mixed emotions, and can't be seen.

"Can't Be Seen" was added to rotate with "Before They Make Me Run" a couple months into the tour. Around the same time "One Hit" was dropped. Then they brought "Terrifying" and "Almost Hear You Sigh" into the rotation. URBAN JUNGLE had a couple airings of "Blinded by Love" but they had lost "Undercover" and "Terrifying" by that point. They keep the slot for new material and cover versions to a minimum. We're fortunate when they trot out "Out of Control" and react accordingly. I really enjoyed STEEL WHEELS / URBAN JUNGLE for the chance to see them and hear all the hits. Since then, I wish each tour really was about the new album with a few of the recent tracks sticking around for the next tour. Instead it feels like the band who records and releases new material is artistically separate from the touring Rolling Stones jukebox juggernaut.

Date: December 20, 2015 03:44

Agreed rocky. And I think the new albums would be better if they knew the success of the tour depended on having good new material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 03:49 by Turner68.

Date: December 20, 2015 08:42

Witness
KRiffhard
Fingers crossed!

Irritating?!
I only mentioned some Mick's awful songs. And it's the same with Keith's 'Losing my touch' or 'Infamy'. It's your problem if you like that useless stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-20 08:46 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2015 08:51

Just Because sounds mighty fine ....
The Stones demo from 2002 with Mick on vocals that ended up Keef's Trouble

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 20, 2015 09:37

Where is "Just Because" available?

Date: December 20, 2015 09:56

Green Lady

It's not available...for us!
[www.iorr.org]

Date: December 20, 2015 10:35

KRiffhard
Witness
KRiffhard
Fingers crossed!

Irritating?!
I only mentioned some Mick's awful songs. And it's the same with Keith's 'Losing my touch' or 'Infamy'. It's your problem if you like that useless stuff!

But you onesidedly mentionned only Mick's songs, almost as if it would be satisfying to everybody else to have a whole Rolling Stones album consist only of CROSSEYED HEART-like songs, even if it possibly might have suited you.

Myself, apart from "Gun", I quite like the listed Mick' solo songs as solo songs, different from Mick's Stones songs, giving a variation. In addition, "Look What the Cat Dragged In" to me is not one of the best, but still good A BIGGER BANG song. And I am one to hold "Sweet Neocon", even if a moderate song, but better than its apparent rumour, to have some "harsh" quality that suits the lyrics of a song, which in my view has some importance.

I gladly take that alleged problem as my privilege and would not have reacted the same way if you have included those, obviously fewer for you, Keith numbers you find "useless" in your language.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 20, 2015 10:39

KRiffhard
Green Lady

It's not available...for us!
[www.iorr.org]

Oh well - thanks for the info, anyway.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2015 10:45

Hello Greenlady can you email me please I want to ask you a small London question

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 20, 2015 14:17

Witness
KRiffhard
Witness
KRiffhard
Fingers crossed!

Irritating?!

But you onesidedly mentionned only Mick's songs, almost as if it would be satisfying to everybody else to have a whole Rolling Stones album consist only of CROSSEYED HEART-like songs, even if it possibly might have suited you.

Myself, apart from "Gun", I quite like the listed Mick' solo songs as solo songs, different from Mick's Stones songs, giving a variation. In addition, "Look What the Cat Dragged In" to me is not one of the best, but still good A BIGGER BANG song. And I am one to hold "Sweet Neocon", even if a moderate song, but better than its apparent rumour, to have some "harsh" quality that suits the lyrics of a song, which in my view has some importance.

I gladly take that alleged problem as my privilege and would not have reacted the same way if you have included those, obviously fewer for you, Keith numbers you find "useless" in your language.

I don't understand the irritation.
Mick Jagger can be credited to try something really different in his solo albums (with the possible exception of Wandering Spirit), away from the Stones and the sort of music that originally inspired the Stones. That's an admirable attempt but you can't expect all Stones fans to like it. I - for one - don't like his solo stuff much. It's also understandable and inevitable that some of the interests that inspire his solo-stuff have crept into his Stones work, hence Sweet Neocon or that certain way he sings ballads nowadays. Again, you cannot expect all Stones fans to like that, since it's quite far away from what the Stones used to do.
Keith has developed his own solo style, and even though it's different from the Stones in many ways, and not all Stones fans like it equally, it's undeniably much closer to the music that originally inspired the Stones: blues, country, rock n roll and soul. Also in his case, some of his solo-interests have crept into his Stones work: the crooning, jazzy, bar at closing time stuff (Thief in the Night), which some like and others don't.
In general I like Keith's solo work very much but not always the stuff he brought to the Stones. (Didn't like Infamy, didn't like This Place is Empty, for instance). However, it cannot be that surprising that for a new Stones album, the fear for Mick's demos might be bigger than a fear for Keith's demos.
In the long run, however, never mind the demos of either one, there is only way a new Stones album could have a point: when Mick and Keith start writing together, based on some common ground, some shared interest in certain music. If that's still there: great. If not: then why even bother?

Date: December 20, 2015 14:59

Turner68

Terrifying was also played, and (very rarely) Blinded By Love.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home