Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 147
Re: Keith Richards: New Rolling Stones Record Coming Next Year
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 28, 2015 22:34

So you want them to re-create Exile? smoking smiley

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 28, 2015 23:24

stargroover
They are both great albums.The only difference is that Keef's album contains no album fillers.Every track on Crosseyed Heart is a gem,and vocally Keef is as strong as ever.

No fillers? All gems? Keef vocally strong as ever?

Well if not even Goodnight Irene can make you doubt, you really are a true believer.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 23:35

You know somethings wrong with ABB when even Keith says he doesn't like it,
but most of us knew there was something very wrong within several listens.
And good old Keith is a very good sport - he had to play Streets of Love live for an entire tour!!!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 29, 2015 00:16

They must be searching for a slightly different sound if they are looking at different producers such a Jack White. Getting into the studio before the SA tour would be a wise idea. This would keep the project alive. They would have plenty of time together on tour where new ideas could spring. Then return to the studio after the tour. News of new Stones music is good news indeed!

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 05:07

stargroover
They are both great albums.The only difference is that Keef's album contains no album fillers.Every track on Crosseyed Heart is a gem,and vocally Keef is as strong as ever.
[/quote]

I totally agree!

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:18

And for crying out loud... Record in Analog and kill anyone who attempts mass compression on the album.

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:59

I would have liked them to seek as ambition to make an album that would be a much, much later follow-up to EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Not to have exactly its kinds of songs, but to be in that vein and with its feel. That, I think, could have become a very nice album.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:16

They should cut the crap and put out a solid album with cool songs we'll love forever. It's their loss if the new album is underwhelming, not the fans. The album could go in so many directions, I would think the challenge is to agree on a game plan so to speak winking smiley

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:40

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but I have heard these reports before and have been disappointed too many times. I have always advocated for a new album, actually on more than one thread at iorr.org. Too many things can go wrong. Mick and Keith could have a quarrel, one of the group could become ill, legal problems could develop, and so on. I am not saying Keith is a liar.

I will believe the new CD only when I have it in my hands.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:41

I'd prefer a Tattoo You kind of retrospective album with only few new (great) songs.
They have tons of older stuff to release.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:44

Hairball
but most of us knew there was something very wrong within several listens.
And good old Keith is a very good sport - he had to play Streets of Love live for an entire tour!!!

That had to make the man's soul shudder irreparably.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 29, 2015 16:45

Note: I originally posted this in the Crosseyed Heart thread but realized later that it probably is more appropriate in this thread. Apologies if it seems like it has "just popped up out of nowhere"!

Doxa
mr_dja

I've heard Keith say that it's his job to inspire Mick.

I think you hit the nail here. The reason for the downhill for Stones music in quality and quantity for the last 35 years or so: Keith just doesn't inspire Mick any longer. I think the problem was obvious by the time of making EMOTIONAL RSECUE but it could be that the hailed EXILE was teh last time The Glimmer Twins had a creative respect towards each other - or Mick was actually paying attention into what Keith did,and being even excited about it.

Usually this is seen that the reason is that Mick and Keith had developed very different tastes for what they consider good music; Mick being a trend follower, and Keith a rootsman (which is to say: Keith creatively stopped to the musical premises of EXILE, Mick not). That partly is true, but the style or a genre of music is not the whole point: the question is has someone something to say, that is, can one form inspiring, great music from a given genre? If one digs blues or country that alone will not constitute great, authentic music - something the Stones actually did during their heyday (The Big Four), and excelled and completed in EXILE.

So if we consider this from Mick's point of view - not popular here - after EXILE or so Keith's music just weren't exciting for him - just repitive and seemingly going downhill in quality (and in quantity as well). And remember: Mick had seen what this man once was - how great, unique, fresh stuff he could have come up with. But he also saw and understood the change in creativity. As the 70's go further, it was clear that there were no any longer any gimmesheltesr, honkytonkwomens or streetfightingmans to be born. There were half-baked riffs saying the same thing over and again, the recording processes just taking longer and longer, when a certain right 'feel' was waited to be come, and the result of all that time, money and drugs wasted would be something as mind-blowing as "Dance Little Sister".

I don't think the music in CROSSEYED HEART means much to Jagger (or, like hoped here, "open his eyes"). I guess for him it is stuff he has seen Keith doing for decades (he probably knows this man musically better than anyone else). He once commented TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER by a telling remark that it sounds the same as the half-finished songs Keith does for the Stones. Probably he is just pleased that Keith get it out by himself and he doesn't need to bother himself with it...

It is no any wonder that their most fruitful colloboration of the last decades happens to be the one on which Keith made his contribution almost 40 years earlier - Jagger sounds surprisingly inspired in "Plundered My Soul", and probably put more effort into it than to any Keith song for ages.

So this was just some food for thought to those who see the artistic downhill of the Stones solely as a fault of Mick Jagger, and if Keith had more say on things, Mick would listen him more, etc the things would have been better or even so great again. Bullshit. The guy just stopped delivering the goods. It takes two to a tango..

- Doxa

Interesting that you give me credit for "hitting the nail on the head" with something I didn't even say. It's me paraphrasing Keith. Great job taking that line and using it as your basis to start yet another rant on how Keith "just stopped delivering the goods".

You apparently missed my line (right after the one you quoted as your starting point) "Imagine if Mick & Keith both would allow each other the time to inspire themselves". You can blame Keith all you want. That's your opinion and you're more than entitled to it. Presenting it as fact doesn't turn it into a fact. It's still just an opinion. Kind of like it's my opinion that, to be honest, the blame probably lies on all four of the Stones more than it does on any one of them.

You (and others) may want to say it's Keith's fault for not being able to deliver the goods. Someone else says it's Jagger's fault for not realizing that "half-baked riffs" and "half-finished songs" are potentially the starting points for the next classic song. Maybe it's Charlie's fault for not questioning why they're overdubbing onto Mick's demos and calling them Rolling Stones tracks. Maybe it's Ronnie's fault for not building a bridge between MJ & KR and forcing them to actually use the bridge from time to time.

You may be right. Possibly KR did stop delivering the goods. Did it ever cross your mind that it's also possible that MJ may have quit receiving the goods? I've seen plenty of houses where the mail or the daily paper still gets delivered long after the residents leave. Who's to say that one of those envelopes doesn't contain a winning contest notification? Just because the envelope is never opened doesn't mean it never contained a winning ticket.

Two to tango indeed.

Peace,
Mr DJA

PS -> Apologies to all for my participation in the hijacking of this thread. Unfortunately the side conversation has become more active than the original topic. I'll try to stay more on topic in the future.

Date: October 29, 2015 16:45

Roll73
A Bigger Bang's been out for 10 odd years - Crosseyed Heart for a couple of months.

I've listened to CH at least 3 times as much in the last month as I have ABB in 10 years.

This isn't a maths question - just an observation. Either that's reason to be hopeful or to think - should they even bother?

Huh? What is a "maths"?

Date: October 29, 2015 16:49

GetYerAngie
Roll73
A Bigger Bang's been out for 10 odd years - Crosseyed Heart for a couple of months.

I've listened to CH at least 3 times as much in the last month as I have ABB in 10 years.

This isn't a maths question - just an observation. Either that's reason to be hopeful or to think - should they even bother?

Fine that you enjoy Crosseyed Heart - which I have listened to three or four times. It's not a bad album, but it suffers from Keith's limitations as a vocalist. For decades his vocal-tracks has been the weakest spots. A whole record featuring Keith is simply way too much. ABB was uneven but tops Crosseyed Heart in every aspect, even Keith's songs on ABB are better. I have heard ABB hundres of times.
I for one will look forward to the new album"

That is ridiculous. Keith's vocals being "the weakest spots" and Keith's ABB songs being better than anything on CH. HA! That's like having a mindset that DIRTY WORK is better than EXILE or STICKY FINGERS.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 29, 2015 17:01

nankerphlege
And for crying out loud... Record in Analog and kill anyone who attempts mass compression on the album.

Great to get a new album. Always good news!

But for the love of music... No mastering compression indeed!

If I want it louder I push up the volume!! (with dynamics intact!)

The new Keith cd has a dynamic range of 5... That's insane. It kills the music. Really.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 29, 2015 17:18

Hairball

Hairball (or anyone), please tell me when & where he said such a thing?!
It's the first time I hear this to be attributred to Keith.
I'm relaay curious for the (exact) quote, its references & circumstances (time, context).

Thx for y'r feedback!

Date: October 29, 2015 17:21

RoughJusticeOnYa
Hairball

I'm relaay curious for the (exact) quote, its references & circumstances (time, context).

Thx for y'r feedback!

It was a recent interview. He only said he didn't like the flow of it, though. He prefers B2B smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 17:36

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
Hairball

Thx for y'r feedback!

It was a recent interview. He only said he didn't like the flow of it, though. He prefers B2B smiling smiley

i believe it was in the interview with Rolling Stone for their cover story on him.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 29, 2015 17:38

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
Hairball

Thx for y'r feedback!

i believe it was in the interview with Rolling Stone for their cover story on him.

...Haven't read that one (yet).
Cheerz, y'all!

Date: October 29, 2015 17:38

mr_dja
Note: I originally posted this in the Crosseyed Heart thread but realized later that it probably is more appropriate in this thread. Apologies if it seems like it has "just popped up out of nowhere"!

Doxa
mr_dja

I've heard Keith say that it's his job to inspire Mick.

I think you hit the nail here. The reason for the downhill for Stones music in quality and quantity for the last 35 years or so: Keith just doesn't inspire Mick any longer. I think the problem was obvious by the time of making EMOTIONAL RSECUE but it could be that the hailed EXILE was teh last time The Glimmer Twins had a creative respect towards each other - or Mick was actually paying attention into what Keith did,and being even excited about it.

Usually this is seen that the reason is that Mick and Keith had developed very different tastes for what they consider good music; Mick being a trend follower, and Keith a rootsman (which is to say: Keith creatively stopped to the musical premises of EXILE, Mick not). That partly is true, but the style or a genre of music is not the whole point: the question is has someone something to say, that is, can one form inspiring, great music from a given genre? If one digs blues or country that alone will not constitute great, authentic music - something the Stones actually did during their heyday (The Big Four), and excelled and completed in EXILE.

So if we consider this from Mick's point of view - not popular here - after EXILE or so Keith's music just weren't exciting for him - just repitive and seemingly going downhill in quality (and in quantity as well). And remember: Mick had seen what this man once was - how great, unique, fresh stuff he could have come up with. But he also saw and understood the change in creativity. As the 70's go further, it was clear that there were no any longer any gimmesheltesr, honkytonkwomens or streetfightingmans to be born. There were half-baked riffs saying the same thing over and again, the recording processes just taking longer and longer, when a certain right 'feel' was waited to be come, and the result of all that time, money and drugs wasted would be something as mind-blowing as "Dance Little Sister".

I don't think the music in CROSSEYED HEART means much to Jagger (or, like hoped here, "open his eyes"). I guess for him it is stuff he has seen Keith doing for decades (he probably knows this man musically better than anyone else). He once commented TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER by a telling remark that it sounds the same as the half-finished songs Keith does for the Stones. Probably he is just pleased that Keith get it out by himself and he doesn't need to bother himself with it...

It is no any wonder that their most fruitful colloboration of the last decades happens to be the one on which Keith made his contribution almost 40 years earlier - Jagger sounds surprisingly inspired in "Plundered My Soul", and probably put more effort into it than to any Keith song for ages.

So this was just some food for thought to those who see the artistic downhill of the Stones solely as a fault of Mick Jagger, and if Keith had more say on things, Mick would listen him more, etc the things would have been better or even so great again. Bullshit. The guy just stopped delivering the goods. It takes two to a tango..

- Doxa

Interesting that you give me credit for "hitting the nail on the head" with something I didn't even say. It's me paraphrasing Keith. Great job taking that line and using it as your basis to start yet another rant on how Keith "just stopped delivering the goods".

You apparently missed my line (right after the one you quoted as your starting point) "Imagine if Mick & Keith both would allow each other the time to inspire themselves". You can blame Keith all you want. That's your opinion and you're more than entitled to it. Presenting it as fact doesn't turn it into a fact. It's still just an opinion. Kind of like it's my opinion that, to be honest, the blame probably lies on all four of the Stones more than it does on any one of them.

You (and others) may want to say it's Keith's fault for not being able to deliver the goods. Someone else says it's Jagger's fault for not realizing that "half-baked riffs" and "half-finished songs" are potentially the starting points for the next classic song. Maybe it's Charlie's fault for not questioning why they're overdubbing onto Mick's demos and calling them Rolling Stones tracks. Maybe it's Ronnie's fault for not building a bridge between MJ & KR and forcing them to actually use the bridge from time to time.

You may be right. Possibly KR did stop delivering the goods. Did it ever cross your mind that it's also possible that MJ may have quit receiving the goods? I've seen plenty of houses where the mail or the daily paper still gets delivered long after the residents leave. Who's to say that one of those envelopes doesn't contain a winning contest notification? Just because the envelope is never opened doesn't mean it never contained a winning ticket.

Two to tango indeed.

Peace,
Mr DJA

PS -> Apologies to all for my participation in the hijacking of this thread. Unfortunately the side conversation has become more active than the original topic. I'll try to stay more on topic in the future.

I didn't read Doxa's post the way you did. As I understand it, Doxa feels (incorrectly, IMO) that people are blaming Mick for the creative decline of the Stones and is saying that Mick and Keith bear equal responsibility. I agree with this, although it's not exactly earth-shattering to point out that the two creative forces in the band are both responsible, nor do i believe anyone really believes that mick is the sole reason the band has stopped being a creative force.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 17:46 by Turner68.

Date: October 29, 2015 17:55

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
Hairball

Thx for y'r feedback!

If you put on a Stones album, which one would it be?
Exile, probably, or Sticky Fingers. Sometimes Beggars Banquet. I do sometimes prefer Bridges to Babylon.

That's interesting. What about A Bigger Bang?
There's some good stuff on there, but I don't know ... There's something about the way it holds together, for me. I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 29, 2015 18:03

I've always thought that the Stones lay down much work on the order of the tracks on their records. Maybe they failed with ABB in that way...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 29, 2015 18:19

Turner68
mr_dja
Doxa
mr_dja

I didn't read Doxa's post the way you did. As I understand it, Doxa feels (incorrectly, IMO) that people are blaming Mick for the creative decline of the Stones and is saying that Mick and Keith bear equal responsibility. I agree with this, although it's not exactly earth-shattering to point out that the two creative forces in the band are both responsible, nor do i believe anyone really believes that mick is the sole reason the band has stopped being a creative force.

And you may be right with your reading of Doxa's post... It wouldn't be the first or last time that I've read something incorrectly! I agree with your post in so far as I think that things are a lot more gray than black and white as far as the accountability is concerned. Although some posts come across as pointing 'in one direction' only, you're probably also correct that no one is 100% on one side or the other.

The more I think about it, the more I wish Stu were still around to keep his three chord wonders/showers of shit in line. Instead of those silly WWJD bracelets that were so popular a few years back, I wonder if someone could get the Stones to all wear WWST (What Would Stu Think) bracelets in the future. Or maybe they could post big pictures of Brian, MT, Stu & Bill on the wall of the studio to remind them that some of their previous methods of working produced (arguably) better results than some of the methods they're using now.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2015 19:15

I think Doxa made some valid points with the above post, but I read it as perhaps being the devil's advocate - or "food for thought" as he states.

For instance:

"Keith just doesn't inspire Mick any longer".

This could easily be reversed by saying 'Mick just doesn't inspire Keith any longer'.

"and the result of all that time, money and drugs wasted would be something as mind-blowing as "Dance Little Sister"'.

One of my all time favorite Stones tunes! I say that time, money, and drugs were well spent!

"I don't think the music in CROSSEYED HEART means much to Jagger"

On the other hand, Keith has made clear that ALL of Micks solo albums/projects mean very little to him, if anything at all (see GODDESS for example).

"It is no any wonder that their most fruitful colloboration of the last decades happens to be the one on which Keith made his contribution almost 40 years earlier -
Jagger sounds surprisingly inspired in "Plundered My Soul", and probably put more effort into it than to any Keith song for ages"

Simply shows that deep down Mick acknowledges the Stones best stuff was for the most part created by Keith back when they mattered as a creative force.

"It takes two to a tango.."

And after whittling away at Keith, and pinning him with all the blame, this is your final sentence?
I suppose it comes down to who does the better 'tango', and for that it's probably just a matter of opinion.
Maybe you could write a short essay on Mick, pinning all the blame on him as you just did to Keith - that would only be fair.
I'm sure you could muster something up with your creative writing skills.

Anyways, nice read and indeed food for thought.thumbs up

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 19:18

GasLightStreet
Roll73

Huh? What is a "maths"?

Mathematics (or Arithmetic if you prefer). Just saying that my post was starting to sound like a question on a school test. Or not.

Date: October 29, 2015 19:23

Also, Doxa's post is (albeit excellently subtle) a slap in the face to all of us who love SG, ER, TY and Undercover. 

He's got a point, though, but he should know that A LOT of the material on SF and Exile is from 1968-1970. So, if the inspiration wore thin it started even earlier than after the Exile sessions. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 19:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 29, 2015 20:08

DandelionPowderman
Also, Doxa's post is (albeit excellently subtle) a slap in the face to all of us who love SG, ER, TY and Undercover. 

He's got a point, though, but he should know that A LOT of the material on SF and Exile is from 1968-1970. So, if the inspiration wore thin it started even earlier than after the Exile sessions. 

I don't see stating an opinion about the Rolling Stones as a slap in the face of any board member. When I say I don't like Dirty Work or I think "Love is Strong" is stones by numbers I certainly don't mean to belittle someone else's opinion.

It's just an opinion about music and, in the case of Doxa's post, speculation about what might have caused what many (myself included) feel has been the decline of the band's creative energies.

A slap in the face would be something quite different.

The great mystery, to me, of the Stones is a double sided coin - how have they kept doing it so long, and yet at the same time how/why did they lose the magic that made them relevant for nearly 20 years? It seems natural and normal to speculate about it on a fan board, especially in the run up to a new album.

Mick and Keith hold equal responsibility for the success or failure of the songwriting in the band - how is that even controversial?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 29, 2015 20:22

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

I don't see stating an opinion about the Rolling Stones as a slap in the face of any board member. When I say I don't like Dirty Work or I think "Love is Strong" is stones by numbers I certainly don't mean to belittle someone else's opinion.

It's just an opinion about music and, in the case of Doxa's post, speculation about what might have caused what many (myself included) feel has been the decline of the band's creative energies.

A slap in the face would be something quite different.

The great mystery, to me, of the Stones is a double sided coin - how have they kept doing it so long, and yet at the same time how/why did they lose the magic that made them relevant for nearly 20 years? It seems natural and normal to speculate about it on a fan board, especially in the run up to a new album.

Mick and Keith hold equal responsibility for the success or failure of the songwriting in the band - how is that even controversial?

Exactly

Date: October 29, 2015 20:34

<I don't see stating an opinion about the Rolling Stones as a slap in the face of any board member. When I say I don't like Dirty Work or I think "Love is Strong" is stones by numbers>

Neither do I, but when it's presented as something we all agree on I feel obliged to say: "Hey! Hold on a minute!" smiling smiley

I agree about the equal responsibility, but I don't think that came clearly through in Doxa's post. I see others think the same, but in case I have, where have I misinterpreted it?

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 29, 2015 20:47

Hairball
Keith has made clear that ALL of Micks solo albums/projects mean very little to him, if anything at all (see GODDESS for example).

Is that really to be believed? Keith's way of bashing Goddess (his "funny" Dogshit in the doorway-thing) just doesn't sound like no interest or objectivity at all winking smiley . Could anyone imagine Jagger bashing CH punning like that, calling it undeservedly Crossdressed Fart in public or something?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home