Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Request.. Volkskrant interview with keith
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 16, 2015 14:11

Could someone post this Dutch interview with keith, placed in de Volkskrant.
I cant get access to the online version of de volkskrant anymore.

thanks jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 14:11 by corriecas.

Re: Request.. Volkskrant interview with keith
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 16, 2015 14:20

BV has it linked on the News-Page: [www.volkskrant.nl] . A rough translation via Google Translate:

Rolling Stones want a concert in Cuba

The Rolling Stones negotiate a concert in Cuba. That says band founder Keith Richards in an exclusive interview with the Volkskrant in Paris. The concert is to be incorporated into the tour of the legendary british rock band from South America, beginning in 2016.

By Robert van Gijssel · 16 September 2015 · 06:03

Richards still gave no details about a possible appearance in the communist country. "I can not answer any more than that negotiations are under way and it would of course be great if we could play there."

Cuba recently removed the ties with the United States. In America applies the island as a 'new frontier' of rock and roll: bands are lining up to give a first show. Since the tensions have decreased between Cuba and the United States, and since last month even display an american flag waving at the embassy in Havana, it is again possible for american bands to perform there. The Castro regime is now more sympathetic to foreign influences.

TRY-OUT
In late February of this year played in the cuban capital Havana all american rock band The Dead Daisies, with the two active Stones members Bernard Fowler (background vocals) and Darryl Jones (bass) in the assembly. If the plans of Richards and bandmates continue, the concert of The Dead Daisies can be seen retrospectively as a tryout for a first Stones concert on the island.

In the Volkskrant interview Richards also said that next year he wants nothing more than with his old bandmates Mick Jagger, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts diving in the studio for a new album. "It has been eleven years since we made a record. That's really a bit ridiculous. When we return from that tour through South America and the boys are hot, tasty greased and oiled, then I pull them straight off the plane into the studio."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 14:30 by Irix.

Date: September 16, 2015 14:23

Irix
BV has it linked on the News-Page: [www.volkskrant.nl] .

Not quite true.
There is an On-line in depth interview with Keith, in de Volkskrant online. apparently 3 pages long. They talked with keith in paris for 30 minutes.
Jeroen

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 16, 2015 14:39

Is it in the paper version today? Will buy that.

Date: September 16, 2015 14:41

RipThisBone

No, i think only the online version. Im not quite sure.
jeroen

Date: September 16, 2015 14:57

I'm gonna have a look in town.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 16, 2015 15:00

Stones PR machine is starting up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 16, 2015 15:24

corriecas
RipThisBone

No, i think only the online version. Im not quite sure.
jeroen

No, a friend of mine who lives in the Netherlands told me that he read it this morning in the paper version. A pity that for the online version, you have to be a paying member.

Date: September 16, 2015 15:25

corriecas

There is an On-line in depth interview with Keith, in de Volkskrant online. apparently 3 pages long.

If it's this one then you can read it here: [we.tl] smiling smiley

(PDF updated with better layout)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 16:55 by Irix.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 16, 2015 15:30

Irix
corriecas

There is an On-line in depth interview with Keith, in de Volkskrant online. apparently 3 pages long.

Wow, yes it is! Thanks!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 16, 2015 15:30

It was on the morning television news as well

Date: September 16, 2015 15:33

I just bought the paper edition of de volkskrant although I promised myself a few years back to never buy this newspaper again. I make an exception today because The Keith interview is in it. The rest I can use as toiletpaper (X-pensive toiletpaper that is at 2 euro 25 cent).
Keith and the X-pensive toiletpapers...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 15:45 by RipThisBone.

Date: September 16, 2015 15:55

For the non-dutch-speaking IORRians:

"That band of us begins to get a little in shape"

Interview Keith Richards

ARTICLE Half an hour alone with Keith Richards in a hotel room - the dream of every pop journalist; now reality. Reason: the living rock legend has a new solo album. As also the S-word is over.

By Robert van Gijssel · 15 September 2015 · 21:00

Three cigarettes, have we counted it good? Let nothing escape, grab the notebook. Write down: "Three cigarettes." Yes, Keith Richards smoked during a conversation of half an hour three cigarettes. Which brand? Shit, not registered. Well that lighter, beside him on the side table. A lighter as a hand grenade. Overly large. Tough thing. Truly a Keith Richards-lighter.

And that highball glass, almost fell on the recording, what was it? Was that really Orangina? Hing not there a dark brown, Jack Daniel's style veil in? Note. And also write the pathetic remark that bodyguard but briefly. We can still use.

When you finally, after a long day of built up tension and meticulous preparation, room 332 of Hotel George V wanders off again, after your interview with Keith Richards (yes: you interview with Keith Richards!), the brain must equally by racing to everything to give a spot. To the loose fragments of the picture 'Keith Richards Parisian hotel suite' in stabbing each other, so you have the picture clear. Keith Richards because you do want to retain (not to forget that soft silk shirt, with that sophisticated red square).

"If a Mount Rushmore of rock 'n' roll was, the head of Keith Richards would certainly amongst them," said the Oscar-winning director Morgan Neville recently, after completing his documentary Under the Influence of the Stone-of-Stones. Keith Richards as a rock-hewn head, grinning in that famous hills. Good idea, actually. You can have something to propose, his head has been carved out of the kind.

ROCK HISTORY

Keith Richards is rock history - and even that sounds like an understatement. Pure popadel. Founder of The Rolling Stones and in that capacity, creator of the magisterialst rock riffs ever rammed a guitar. The man guitar blues and bouncing rock 'n' roll of Chuck Berry to incorruptible and hyper classic pop music managed to hammer. Out there on a Sunday morning ashen, at the writing with Mick Jagger, a wonder of the world as Jumpin 'Jack Flash wrung out, with a look at the rain-catching neighbor' Jack '.

Ah, what should you chant about the man? Where to start, where to end? What in any case is allowed: Keith Richards on the label larger than life stick. If this cliché holds true for someone, at least for Keith Richards. The medical miracle that - even according hemzelf- should have been dead three times. Horrible role model for concerned parents and the global artsenvak because Mr Richards (71) proves that with appalling drink alcohol can still achieve most respectable age.

And also can keep the courage, as shown in room 332: "Yeah, I'm doing fine. Splendid, actually! " Followed by the typical Keith Richards-smile, which, besides a lot of fun at themselves also still a hearty f*ck you locked into the world: "Huh huh huh."

THIRD SOLO PLATE

Tomorrow appears a third solo album with Keith Richards: Crosseyed Heart, the successor of Main Offender in 1992. After 23 years yet again a series of solo songs, in a jagged backdrop of raw all-that-elderly men singing and delicious crunching guitars. And on that album (and, according to his management about nothing else: "Do not mention the Stones') Richards wants something lost, to a select group, on a late summer day in George V in Paris - the hotel for nearly fifty years of service serves as Stones residence on the European continent. Where in 1967 the love affair between Richards and Brian Jones' girlfriend Anita Pallenberg flared up, just to name a rock anecdote.

Five interviews Richards is doing today, and in neighboring room 331 is the international press club back and then sliding again, staring out the window, still just tapping a bottle of Orangina away. The kid of a French newspaper has a T-shirt that read: Keith Richards for president. "My first time Keith Richards", he sighs. A man from São Paolo - "just landed" - viewing his notepad, frummelt another question between.

It takes a while to wait. But the good news is leaking under 332 by room door. Keith Richards appears to be in a tophumeur. Thumbs up. Until the full tattooed bodyguard, who spend all day on a chair next to the door of his employer rather colossal way is to take root, you try to run a wait ten seconds for the door to swing open the rock miracle. "What number are you? Four? Oh my god, bad for you. Keith hate numbers four. Four songs are always crying out, did not you know? Well, good luck man."

HEARTINESS

There he is, seen from the back: small stature and skinny but still impressive - also because of the stylish clothes. Keith Richards throws between the companies by a glance at the busy city stuff on the Avenue George V, three floors below. Then he turns around and puts the known deformed by arthritis and so rather bony hand, which that equally famous link chain rings. Richards radiates warmth and yet no hatred. Sits down and gives his little finger to that in his conversation can begin.

How's he doing - excellent so - and whether he actually can still really concerned about the release of a new album. Question conscience. "Well, as you know, I've been there already some pictures and we will sometimes look at how this album strikes the earth. But still, and I am serious, I myself actually quite intrigued by that thing. He was equally on the shelf, because I wanted to wait for the right time for the official release and so I have quite often to listen. Can repeatedly analyze it. And yes, you know, I think it is a really nice album. Which helps. '

Crosseyed Heart makes sounds like a rough guide to the music of Keith Richards and therefore the Stones. Richards plays a blues song in the style of Robert Johnson, as a salute to one of the founders of pop music. He performs a cover of Leadbelly on, playing a country song on the piano, even a reggae song. A testament to all the music was Richards, a tribute to his heroes.

"Yes, I realized, too, but really only when the album was finished. It was no preconceived plan. " Number one cigarette. Also nice: the grooved head of Richards in a thin cloud of smoke. "Writing my biography Life has put some things in motion. For that book, I am of course deeply delved into my past and in the history of the Stones. So again became very clear to me where everything came from, how Mick and I would play the black blues from Chicago, just to the music in England to give some prominence. And how do I later learned to appreciate the country through my friendship with Gram Parsons. Yeah, and then you want to get back to writing, huh? The fingers itch. But yes, the Stones did again not at home. You know.'

SECOND HOME

And so Richards was going to do it but again it yourself. "Anyway: long not been in a studio. And I have the recording studio always considered my second home." Richards moved into a studio in New York, with drummer Steve Jordan of Richards' hobby band X-Pensive Wino's. "Oh, and so began to run it again. Steve played a beat, and hops. In the beginning I was a little rusty, guitar play did not flow automatically from my fingers. I had long not played, again through that writing my biography. And you can do it at a certain age you simply can not afford to waste any time, do not play the same two years. Well belong, I always grab a guitar, a little fiddle. But really play, you know? If you're at home in seclusion, you play music in a vacuum. Then you tend to keep fooling yourself, to find things that are not good it actually is. " It can happen to the best.

In the New York studio was the party. "Wonderful noncommittal. No deadline. When I was in New York, I called Steve: did you happen to be in town? Shall we? And when it was announced that we were making music together, there always was more frequent unexpected visit. On the street, Steve accidentally met Aaron Neville (the American soul and gospel singer, The Neville Brothers, ed.). Neville against Steve: Hey, man, what are you doing? Steve: I'm recording with Keith. Neville: What? I'll walk with you. Just sing a background screen. For the song Something for Nothing Steve and I wanted a choir and it was by chance in practice the space next to us. A choir from Harlem. We fired our head in: Uh, can you just ..? She: Yeah, we love rock and roll! It happened pretty little, strange things."

Naturally especially rips the blues of Crosseyed Heart, in which his distinctive guitar sound of Richards: common hard, cracking recorded in analog, preferably acoustic and woven by a second and if possible third guitar. The riffs come for everybody, says Richards. As always, "The songs antenna is still functioning." But the guitar blues of Robert Johnson, for example, the title track of the album, Richards was allowed to old-fashioned piece bite. "You know, I still try to get into the fingers. Guitar: boys, what a tool. Sometimes I think that guitar I do not even know really. The further you get, the more you think you know, the more doors open there. That you are playing and suddenly: what? Oh man, playing after more than fifty years, I discover guts? And that whole learning process, which endless journey on the guitar, came up due to the blues. The basis of everything. If you like the blues guitarist does not know - I'm not even talking about the blues in the rawest form - then you must seriously ask yourself if you can call yourself or guitarist. Those guys probably do not know it, but even in the songs of One Direction is the blues. It is an integral part of the pop music."

PRONOUNCED CHARACTER

As a guitarist Keith Richards gave personality to the instrument as a key player in the pop music from thousands recognizable. To the distinctive character of the guitar in pop music and in rock, it is now sometimes search. "I see what you mean. And this problem stems from the current recording techniques. We live in a high-tech era: nice of course, to watch on TV for sharp image. But in the studio you would still need to find something that is hidden between the digital ones and zeros. In music is something very physical, which simply can not be captured digitally. Now you see guys drumbeats play those little toads or, worse, on a keyboard. Hey guests: get outta here! Throw your weight once in battle! We're all just a bit cheated by that digital stuff that stupid toy."

Cigarette number two, and a moment of contemplation. "You know - I think it is, I'm just happy to turn things around. Run laps. Plates on the turntable. Analog tape recorders. Wheels. Which I like. But yeah, I'm old-fashioned. As you know, I've never kept me very busy with fashion."

Time to break the rules and just try to go against the Stones gag order. Besides, Richards S-word yet also placed in the mouth a few times. So come on: Mr Richards was planning another some new work with his band The Rolling Stones record? Or should we continue doing it with solo adventures? "We now have eleven years no plate included. Eleven years! I really think it's a little ridiculous for a band that plays just yet. I would like, but still catch so blunt: too busy, no time, nowhere near. And to me the press starts to run, claps at a certain point the valve off. Actually, I made this record to poke the guys: Hey, look, even I'm recording, what about you? Is there anything? I'm sure Mick has a mountain of songs. And for me there is always some rolls from which we now know. So, I do not know if the Stones read your story, but just in case: boys, I ask you one more time, I beg you, no, I threaten, go with me to record the new album. Or else...'

And could not help this call including threat, nefarious and concrete plans Richards already has. "Next year we will continue our tour in South America. And hopefully we play in Cuba, that would be incredible. There is pressure on negotiated. But when we return from that tour and the guys are still hot and tasty lubricated, then I pull them straight off the plane into the studio. My big task for the coming year."

BEST FORM

Because the band is in top form, which could establish the world last year with a series of spectacular good shows, such as Pinkpop. "Phew, yeah, that's one of the reasons why I so much want to continue with the Stones, especially after the incredible response from the public and press, wherever we played. I was really thinking that band of us really begins to get a bit of form. We go slowly towards the summit. Just kidding. Steve Jordan came to our show in Nashville and said afterwards: Jesus Christ, I've never heard you play so f*cking groovy. What is going on?'

Yeah, what's going on? "Our current sound engineer, Dave Natale, captures the perfect Stones sound. He is the best soundman we've ever had. I have, perhaps for the first time, the feeling that the Stones come at exactly the right way from the stage. That what we hear when we are playing is heard by the public. You can not possibly imagine that but it gives an enormous feeling for a certain band. And then you come loose. And besides: the boys are in fine form. Charlie Watts, best drummer in the world, still. And Mick Jagger, hey, with him do you dare to challenge James Brown, who is the best performer? And the best harmonica player? I keep rubbing it in: Mick plays an incredibly good blues harp. I always say, why do not you sing more like your harmonica playing? Also, in order to sick him. Then he says singing is totally different, Keith, that you know nothing about. And I: come on, it's both air blowing out, Mick. Eh eh eh. Ah, and then bassist Darryl Jones. And Ronnie, Ronnie Wood oh ... He has in recent years completely new areas found on his guitar."

Last cigarette, at least, for interview at number four. And one more time, in case the interviewer the basic idea had not yet off the head of Keith Richards know filter: "You know: The Rolling Stones are the best band on the planet. Always has been. And that's why I want them back."

Keith Richards' Crosseyed Heart appears Friday on Republic Records / Universal.

THE STONES WITHOUT THE STONES: POOR ALBUM COVERS AND UGLY

Ron Wood and Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman had gone before, with some nondescript solo albums as Monkey Grip (Bill Wyman, 1974) and Now Look (Ron Wood, 1975). But when Jagger mid eighties a difficult Stones period that Keith Richards would be described as "Third World War" came out with She's The Boss and Primitive Cool, Richards obviously could not stay behind (Talk Is Cheap, 1988). Revenge!

Keith Richards feared in those tough years the breakup of The Rolling Stones, especially the solo work of Jagger. Especially when Jagger also another solo wanted to go on tour.

How deep was the pain when Richards was once again evident in Richards' autobiography Life in 2010. In it, he described the solo album Goddess in the Doorway Mick Jagger from 2001 as follows: "Very tempting that record not to rename Dogshit In The Doorway." Always up for a joke.

But reportedly Richards here with his deadly review for Jagger really gone a step too far. Who knows founded Jagger therefore, one year after the publication of Life and so if counterpunch, the 'supergroup' Super Heavy on, among others with Dave Stewart and Joss Stone. Is also significant: in 2011 Richards could not come to Jaggers birthday.

The solo albums by the Stones are no standard successes, though they sell on average still pretty nice. The music press has done quite a good laugh at actually pretty shitty album titles like I've Got My Own Album To Do (Ron Wood, 1974) and Stone Alone (Bill Wyman, 1976). The weather kept the Stones (and former Stone Mick Taylor) did not produce a lavish series of solo work, which this year titles like Crosseyed Heart by Keith Richards and Bill Wyman of Back to Basics yielded.

Who collects all the solo albums by the Stones, so really a mission, and also a big party pretty ugly cases are in the record collection after a while.

In contrast to the often great design covers of the Stones albums, the Stones seem to take solo settle for half an hour together photoshopped covers.

See for example, Charlie Watts' jazz album Warm & Tender (1993), or the more or less failed airbrush experiment of Bill Wymans aforementioned Monkey Grip (1974).

ROBERT VAN GIJSSEL · [www.volkskrant.nl]

BOX 1:

Busted

Striking: in many texts on Crosseyed Heart by Keith Richards have featured the police, in songs like the little revealing Nothing On Me and Robbed Blind. Is the man who as a pioneer in hard drugs user was repeatedly arrested, sometimes something bothering you? Richards; "Yeah, crazy, huh? I also noticed on. What are all those cops in my music, I thought when I listened back to the plate itself. That's what happens when you think back to your life. You're thinking about your wife. Your children. And in my case: the cops. And all those times when you're caught with or without something in his pocket." Life Part II, now even franker.

BOX 2:

Life still outspoken

Keith Richards Life from 2010 is one of the finest rock autobiographies of recent years. Honest, and sometimes rock hard, so, for example Mick Jagger may notice. Life was also a grim bestseller, and it tastes as Keith Richards for more. "Though it took me a couple of years, writing Life was great to do. Good thing I had kept all those notes. But a friend recently pointed me to the first version of this book, all full blue stripes through passages that would be better not publish, you know, because of legal issues and so, eh eh. Therefore, I consider a Life Part Two, a kind of full and so really uncensored version. Not to expel people for the main hearing, but just a nice idea."

BOX 3:

Under the Influence on Netflix

To celebrate the release of Keith Richards' new solo album, from Friday on is to see the documentary Under the Influence, about Richards' search for his musical sources. Director Morgan Neville (inter alia, the Oscar-winning documentary 20 Feet from Stardom) Richards follows when visiting blues musician Buddy Guy, Nashville and country palace The Grand Ole Opry, and let the guitarist reminisce about his fight with Chuck Berry at the shooting the film Hail! Hail! Rock and roll (Richards, after being beaten down by Berry: 'That was your greatest hit.') The most beautiful pictures are shot from Richards home, retired to his country house, next to the record player. There he does what he does for sixty years: turning blues plates. "Listen to this then! If you still can play like that."

BOX 4:

Bobby Keys

By Keith Richards' solo album Crosseyed Heart is to hear the saxophone of Bobby Keys in one of his last recordings: the saxophone player of the Stones died in late 2014 at the age of 70. Richards: 'Oh man, Bobby Keys. Mister rock 'n' roll, bigger than Texas. I will miss him. Yet if you mention his name, is immediately brought a smile to my face. It is the problem for people like me who linger so long. The people with whom you have worked falling away. Then you get angry. Or sad. Or you can think: hey, I've been working with the best guests who roamed on this earth. And I've had fun with them."

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 20:25 by Irix.

Date: September 16, 2015 16:14

Irix
corriecas

Thanks!! Jeroenhot smiley

Date: September 16, 2015 16:50

Better PDF (in dutch): [we.tl] .

Date: September 16, 2015 23:08

RipThisBone
I just bought the paper edition of de volkskrant although I promised myself a few years back to never buy this newspaper again. I make an exception today because The Keith interview is in it. The rest I can use as toiletpaper (X-pensive toiletpaper that is at 2 euro 25 cent).
Keith and the X-pensive toiletpapers...

I regret buying this volkskrant even more after reading "the interview".

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: September 17, 2015 00:06

I didn't know he was in The Volkskrant paper today, till I read it here. Because it was already after 20:30 all shops were closed, but I drove to a couple of tankstations and I scored two copies.
Great issue with 5 pages Keith!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 17, 2015 00:11

This thread looks like a Nederlanders onderonsje.................;o)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home