Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith & Jerry
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 15:31

Sorry to hear about Keiths quote about Jerry. I think he is missing the boat in some respects. I will be the first to agree that the noodeling is not my cup of tea. But they do have very similar taste in music. Try listening to Jerry's just released Braodway show-the bluegrass band stuff. It is very authentic bluegrass with great vocals. The When I paint My Masterpiece cover with Weir from the Garcia Band is smoking with incredible lead & backing vocals. Just my semi random thought. would love to hear Weir play with the Stones or various members in some shape or form as again they both have a lifetime love of music-guitar,Dylan, Blues, Country,Reggae, Jazz. The closest they came would probably be Silvio that Dylan wrote with Robert Hunter of Dead lore. Ron Wood played that with Dylan in London some years back.

-Chris

Re: Keith & Jerry
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:38

He just thinks Jerry is a boring old fart
No big deal
Knowing Keith he probably don't even mean it, he just loves to shock lol

Surely you know Keith by now smiling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:40

Where can I find the quote by Keith about Jerry Lee Lewis?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:46

Well, I did actually fall asleep during a Dead concert...but it could have had more to do with the atmosphere around me than the music. cool smiley

Date: September 11, 2015 17:58

Keith is great at making headlines. Dead shows were/are the best crowds for a musician. Tons of guitar players & drummers around in the parking lot. A great party crowd if there ever was one. Jerry & Keith loved & covered Hogey Charmichael so they have that in common.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 11, 2015 17:59

Its refreshing to hear his thoughts on most of these bands, but for the most part he's usually wrong and always has been. I just don't think he's very into any music that isn't his own. He obviously reveres his influences, and there are a few people here and there that he's enjoyed along the way, but overall I think he was a man that didn't like his competitors back in the day and has either held grudges against them or never gave them a fair listen. Regardless of whether I agree or not with what he's saying, I just don't think he's very reliable in that department as he's always seemed like someone that gives a relatively uninformed opinion about widely accepted influential groups. However it is nice to hear his unfiltered thoughts, no matter how wrong they usually are.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:00

keefriffhards
No big deal

Jerry loved music and supported new and (relatively) unknown artists all his life. I can only hope that had he lived into his 70's he would have maintained that collegial spirit, rather than having clammed up like the old codger Saint Keith appears to have become.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:00

RipThisBone

No, it's about Jerry Hall.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:45

Jerry and Keith were/are both genius's in their own right. Garcia was a touring madman as a solo artist. His 70's solo stuff is ridiculous. Don't get me started, this could take a while smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:46

NO WAY , About Weir ever playing with the Stones .

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 18:56

The grateful dead are very overrated and I find them unlistenable.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 11, 2015 19:15

RollingFreak
Its refreshing to hear his thoughts on most of these bands, but for the most part he's usually wrong and always has been. .

Or maybe you are wrong.

Again music boards always amaze me when people stat things as facts when they are only opinions. If Keith doesn't like someone or thinks someone is crap then its his opinion and that's fine.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:32

Turner68

the stones and dead are two different styles..you say tomato i say tomato

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:36

reg thorpe
Turner68

Let's call the whole thing off.

Date: September 11, 2015 20:38

Oh I know about Weir will probably not be playing w/ the stones anytime soon but I a collaboration of any sort would be very interesting music wise. Think of a Little Red Rooster Jam. Remember Mich Taylor played with the Dead!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:51

latebloomer
reg thorpe
Turner68

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 11, 2015 20:53

reg thorpe
latebloomer
reg thorpe
Turner68

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smileys with beer

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 11, 2015 21:26

chrism13
Oh I know about Weir will probably not be playing w/ the stones anytime soon but I a collaboration of any sort would be very interesting music wise. Think of a Little Red Rooster Jam. Remember Mich Taylor played with the Dead!
would have been good with ole Captain Trips , but with Weir , he is not even qualified to carry Jerry's guitar case for him .To me (and i really love the Grateful Dead they were all about Jerry's guitar on lead , his sweet soulful voice , the twin double barrel attack of Billy Kruetsman and Mickey Hart, the thunderous bomb dropping Phil Lesh on Bass and last but not least the keyboards which my favorite was Brent Mydland Bless his soul he could tickle the ivories with the best of them and not to bad on vocals .Which brings me back to Bob Weir who i did like his singing but that is all for him.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 21:34

Since you through in, "To me", I guess your ridiculous statement gets a pass, but "to me", it's an insane and insulting point of view. Jerry and many others have talked about what an incredible rhythm player Weir is. He sounds like no one else, and in a world full of guitar players, that's a huge plus.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 11, 2015 23:23

I could never get into the Dead. Sorry folks I just don't care for their music. That's just me. Who the hell am I anyway?

Date: September 11, 2015 23:47

shawnriffhard1
Since you through in, "To me", I guess your ridiculous statement gets a pass, but "to me", it's an insane and insulting point of view. Jerry and many others have talked about what an incredible rhythm player Weir is. He sounds like no one else, and in a world full of guitar players, that's a huge plus.

I'm the opposite on Weir. His guitar playing has grown on me a lot over the years. I think he may just have been the perfect complement for Jerry. I just cannot stand his singing!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 12, 2015 00:04

keefriffhards
No big deal

Who, Jerry Lewis? Jerry Hall? You are probably right, he probably thinks both are boring old farts. Keith knows that Jerry Garcia has been deceased for quite a few years and is, by definition, boring, but never made it to old fart.

Anyone who knew the slightest about keith would know that he has slagged the Dead for decades, that he does not like a lot of rock music period, that the Dead is certainly not the type of music he would like. He used to, according to old stories, like to repeat the old joke:
Q: What did the Dead fan say when he ran out of weed?
A: This band sucks

So, he means it.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 12, 2015 00:09

necrophilia. stones rule!

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: September 12, 2015 00:15

Keith is just promoting his new album. "Any publicity is good publicity".

Date: September 12, 2015 00:45

Koen
RipThisBone

No, it's about Jerry Hall.

Not Garcia? Oh boy, too many Jerry-s...

Date: September 12, 2015 00:52

Single Malt

best case for him is one of these bands responds by saying they don't like him either, it gets an entire generation of stones fans rallied in support of keith.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: September 12, 2015 01:04

Turner68
Single Malt

best case for him is one of these bands responds by saying they don't like him either, it gets an entire generation of stones fans rallied in support of keith.

Nah, I wouldn't be bothered. If Keith thinks that way, that is entirely his opinion. If Metallica or Black Sabbath or Grateful Dead or any other band would say the same things about Keith and The Stones I wouldn't care. Those are just opinions. The main thing is what I think. I don't have to think like Keith.

Date: September 12, 2015 01:05

Turner68
Single Malt

I hear Keith is friends again with Elton. Well i mean the rift is over after all these years
Why should it matter but i was pleased about it

Date: September 12, 2015 01:09

Rokyfan
keefriffhards
No big deal

Who, Jerry Lewis? Jerry Hall? You are probably right, he probably thinks both are boring old farts. Keith knows that Jerry Garcia has been deceased for quite a few years and is, by definition, boring, but never made it to old fart.

Anyone who knew the slightest about keith would know that he has slagged the Dead for decades, that he does not like a lot of rock music period, that the Dead is certainly not the type of music he would like. He used to, according to old stories, like to repeat the old joke:
Q: What did the Dead fan say when he ran out of weed?
A: This band sucks

So, he means it.

Obviously i meant Jerry Garcia as that is the Jerry mentioned in the thread
Also i meant 'was' instead of is a boring old fart lol
My bad

Date: September 12, 2015 01:13

Turner68
Single Malt

probably safe to say that garcia won't be responding

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home