Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: ALBUM TALK: Tattoo You
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 1, 2019 00:22

Start Me Up: 4/10
Hang Fire: 3/10
Slave: 6,5/10
Little T&A: 5,5/10
Black Limousine: 8/10
Neighbours: 5/10
Worried About You: 7/10
Tops: -3/10 (added: read as minus 3)
Heaven: 6/10
No Use In Crying: 8,5/10
Waiting On A Friend: 10 */10
(read as: out of 10, it is 10 plus one star)

A much later edit: The addition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 09:19 by Witness.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 1, 2019 01:03

SMU - 10/10
Hang fire - 4/10
Slave - 7/10 (10/10 if they had managed to make a song out of this great groove)
T & A - 3/10
Black Limousine - 7/10
Neighbours - 6/10 (only for Charlie's hard hitting snare)
Worried About You - 7/10
Tops - 7/10
No Use in Crying - 6/10
Waiting on a Friend - 9/10

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2019 03:03

They don't write 'em like that anymore...everything about it...perfection...10+ all the way.

No Use in Crying

Ain't no use in crying
Stay away from me

Standing in the kitchen
Looking way out cross the fields
You see a face in the window
It's not real, it's not real

Ain't no use in crying
Stay away from me
Ain't no use

Standing at the station
Gazing down the track
There ain't no train coming baby
I ain't never, never coming back

Standing in the balcony
Looking way out across the sea
If you see your ship come a sailing
It's not me, it's not me
It's not me
Stay away from me
Hey you

Ain't no use, ain't no use
Stay away from me
Ain't no use in crying
Stay away from me

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 1, 2019 03:20

Superb song, both music and words.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 1, 2019 14:58

Start Me Up: 9/10
Hang Fire: 7/10
Slave: 11/10
Little T&A: 8/10
Black Limousine: 8/10
Neighbours: 7/10
Worried About You: 8/10
Tops: 7/10
Heaven: 7/10
No Use In Crying: 8/10
Waiting On A Friend: 10/10

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 1, 2019 15:15

Start Me Up: 10/10
Hang Fire: 10/10
Slave: 10/10
Little T&A: 10/10
Black Limousine: 10/10
Neighbours: 10/10
Worried About You: 10/10
Tops: 10/10
Heaven: 9/10
No Use In Crying: 6/10

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 1, 2019 15:53

Start Me Up: 9/10
Hang Fire: 7/10
Slave: 9/10
Black Limousine: 6/10
Neighbours: 5/10
Worried About You: 9/10
Tops: 9/10
Heaven: 8/10
No Use In Crying: 8/10
Waiting On A Friend: 8/10

Date: August 1, 2019 16:02

Start me Up - 10
Hang Fire - 6 (never have liked this song; not as outtake either)
Slave - 8.5
Little T&A - 9
Black Limousines - 8
Neighbors - 6.5
Worried about you - 10
Tops - 10
Heaven - 10
No Use in Cryin - 10
waiting on a Friend - 10

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 1, 2019 17:19

Start Me Up 10
Hang Fire 9
Slave 10
Little T&A 8
Black Limousine 8
Neighbours 10
Worried About You 9
Tops 10
Heaven 8
No Use In Crying 8
Waiting On A Friend 10

The mix of Neighbours has always cracked me up - the cymbals are heavily gated and only come in at the end. The overall mix is great, with the guitars having this sort of conversation with the vocals, the sax with the odd squeak here and there... a perfect raunchy rock'n'roll song.

There's a cowbell in Start Me Up...

What I thought for years was a barking dog is Keith's fingers sliding on the strings at the beginning of Slave.

During the excellent guitar solo in Worried About You, Charlie switches over to a gallop, then when Mick comes in, it goes back to being the rock beat.

Waiting On A Friend isn't as brilliant as something with a lot of body to it, like Wild Horses or Beast Of Burden or Memory Motel, but it's a fantastic song. It's sweet. And that makes it brilliant.

Tops is supreme. It's crazy that they didn't finish it for GOATS HEAD SOUP.

Date: August 1, 2019 17:32

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Waiting On A Friend is my LEAST favorite of the five-ballad block on Tattoo You.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 1, 2019 17:45

keefriff99
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but Waiting On A Friend is my LEAST favorite of the five-ballad block on Tattoo You.

I'm with you on this, not nearly the innovative and cool vibe of the other ballads.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 1, 2019 18:15

Initially I only liked Tops, Heaven and No Use In Crying of side two. After a number of years I got to like Worried About You and Waiting On A Friend too. Dare I say that I sort of see TY a bit like The Stones' own little Abbey Road? Waiting On A Friend has a different mood than the rest and works like some sort of catharsis, so I figure it's no coincidence they placed it as the last song on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 18:16 by SomeGuy.

Date: August 1, 2019 18:24

I still love Waiting On A Friend...I'd just rank it last among the five:

1. Tops
2. Worried About You
3. Heaven
4. Ain't No Use In Crying
5. Waiting On A Friend

Almost follows the running order...just swap #1 and #2.

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: August 1, 2019 18:29

I had pulled out my copy of Tattoo You while getting ready for the Superdome concert, leading up to the show, and I had it leaning on the edge of the stack of vinyl beneath the turntable. And I was struck by how utterly cool and visionary the album cover was, for its time. I had other record covers strewn around the living room, in piles, to compare it to, and the Tattoo You cover was so bold and striking. I was remembering how when I bought it, brand new on the day of release in 1981, the glossy cover was so shiny and new and bright. The red and green really popped, especially in rows across the display in the store (they had flipped some around backwards, to show the Keith side). Of course now mine is faded, has some creases, edge wear, etc. But when they were brand new, those covers really didn't look like much else out there at the time.

It's very alluring, when you picture it how it looked in the retail bins, brand new, all shiny and sleek underneath the shrink wrap.I mean I remember back then it felt kind of shoddy in a way, with the cloven foot/pump photograph and the lack of credits or real photos of the band, but it's actually a pretty bold album cover, as a piece of pure album art. Definitely forward thinking.

Just a cool little moment I had while getting pumped up for the show, a few days in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 18:31 by TurningToGold2.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: August 1, 2019 19:02

Tattoo You is my all-time favorite Stones album:

Start Me Up 10
Hang Fire 9
Slave 10
Little T&A 10
Black Limousine 10
Neighbours 10
Worried About You 10
Tops 10
Heaven 10
No Use In Crying 8
Waiting On A Friend 10

No filler!!!

Mick and Chris Kinsey did one of the 4 best Stones album jobs ever!
Loved the 1982 gigs - mostly with songs from the last 3 records!
Great album, great tour, great memories.
Tattoo You LP and the 1982 European Tour changed my life like nothing else!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 1, 2019 23:53

This subject has been discussed before- and It is known that every Stones album has its unique sound but this collection of songs are crisp and clean sounding . The way it is recorded is outstanding. And the Song Order is correct. Slave is at the center of this masterpiece.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 3, 2019 06:16

Wow.

New Zealand original vinyl LP.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 3, 2019 07:10

posted in wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-03 07:12 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: August 3, 2019 07:52

GasLightStreet
Wow.

New Zealand original vinyl LP.

The same sheet was included in my portuguese edition smiling smiley

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 3, 2019 11:25

TurningToGold2
I had pulled out my copy of Tattoo You while getting ready for the Superdome concert, leading up to the show, and I had it leaning on the edge of the stack of vinyl beneath the turntable. And I was struck by how utterly cool and visionary the album cover was, for its time. I had other record covers strewn around the living room, in piles, to compare it to, and the Tattoo You cover was so bold and striking. I was remembering how when I bought it, brand new on the day of release in 1981, the glossy cover was so shiny and new and bright. The red and green really popped, especially in rows across the display in the store (they had flipped some around backwards, to show the Keith side). Of course now mine is faded, has some creases, edge wear, etc. But when they were brand new, those covers really didn't look like much else out there at the time.

It's very alluring, when you picture it how it looked in the retail bins, brand new, all shiny and sleek underneath the shrink wrap.I mean I remember back then it felt kind of shoddy in a way, with the cloven foot/pump photograph and the lack of credits or real photos of the band, but it's actually a pretty bold album cover, as a piece of pure album art. Definitely forward thinking.

Just a cool little moment I had while getting pumped up for the show, a few days in advance.

Yeah! I remember, I first was disappointed cause again after Emotional I couldn't see the band on the cover. But a minute later I saw Keith on the back. And suddenly I understood the whole coolness of the design concept. And of course then I put TY in front of my records in my room. So it was visible for me and to impress also visitors. Girls!.
"Wow cool Cover. Who is that?"
"The Stones, the new record."
"Can you put it on."
"Of course!"
And then I put on side 2.
Of course. smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 3, 2019 11:58

Start Me Up: 8/10
Hang Fire: 2/10
Slave: 10/10
Black Limousine: 10/10
Neighbours: 10/10
Worried About You: 9/10
Tops: 10/10
Heaven: 10/10
No Use In Crying: 10/10

Pitchfork reviews Tattoo You
Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 1, 2019 11:47

Some of the best writing I've read on the Stones. Really well researched and brilliantly written.

[pitchfork.com]

Re: Pitchfork reviews Tattoo You
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 1, 2019 15:47

other than Slave, which I consider an absolute gem that has been severely underrated because they have essentially ignored it since they recorded it, this album has the other very underrated Tops on it. One of Jagger's strongest performances....I love this tune...and love the performances really all around. one of their best tracks for me.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: December 2, 2019 04:28

Shocked that Pitchfork spoke so glowingly of that album (which I love). Tops might be the most underrated Stones song of all time!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2019 05:46

when i saw the stones @ the joint in vegas on the licks tour "worried about you" was definitely the highlight.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2019 07:52

"Tattoo You’s first side guaranteed the Rolling Stones’ sinecure as a hugely profitable enterprise for decades to come;
the second side is their final gasp of brilliance before those profits became more important than anything else".

Sad, but true.

"And despite everything, on a good night, it’s still possible to catch the spark and recognize the Rolling Stones are still the Greatest Rock’n’Roll Band in the World".

Yes indeed. thumbs up

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: December 2, 2019 10:59

Madcap
Shocked that Pitchfork spoke so glowingly of that album (which I love). Tops might be the most underrated Stones song of all time!

Yes, when I saw that Pitchfork had chosen to review Tattoo You my immediate thought was uh oh, are they going to go all woke and and millennial on this record? But this is a balanced and detailed piece which vividly illustrates the feel of the album and its mood and how it was a pivotal album for the Stones.

The only crit I'd have of the article is that they didn't mention the album artwork, which still looks fresh and striking even now. But as far as the writing goes this is the definitive piece on Tattoo You.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 2, 2019 12:10

WorriedAboutYou
Madcap

Yes, when I saw that Pitchfork had chosen to review Tattoo You my immediate thought was uh oh, are they going to go all woke and and millennial on this record? But this is a balanced and detailed piece which vividly illustrates the feel of the album and its mood and how it was a pivotal album for the Stones.

The only crit I'd have of the article is that they didn't mention the album artwork, which still looks fresh and striking even now. But as far as the writing goes this is the definitive piece on Tattoo You.

Doesn’t even make sense.

Date: December 2, 2019 12:34

A very well written piece; not only that, but also from someone who knows his Stones'history.

PS That is a fact that stings just a little, tiny bit nowadays: that too many people know about my band. On the one hand you want them to be recognized as one of the alltime Greats, on the other you sort don't want too many posers in your clubhouse.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 2, 2019 14:32

Very good story, indeed.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1421
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home