Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: ALBUM TALK: Tattoo You
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 9, 2018 00:20

So "not so great" lyrics means they're good is what that means.

The lyrics to Heaven aren't really anything other than possibly a love song without the love aspect. It's probably more of a loss song.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: February 9, 2018 13:16

Side 1: Perfect when you're stuck in traffic on the way to work in the morning.
Side 2: Perfect when you're stuck in traffic on your way home in the evening.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 10, 2018 00:31

I always thought of side one as uppers and side two as downers. TATTOO YOU achieves equilibrium.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 10, 2018 00:41

Rocky Dijon
I always thought of side one as uppers and side two as downers. TATTOO YOU achieves equilibrium.

Sounds about right - for me side one is what you blast out in public and at parties, while side two you listen to while alone at home in a contemplative mood without any distractions.

Date: February 10, 2018 04:21

Rocky Dijon

Ah, yes - it coincides with the front and back cover!!!

I dunno. That might be overdoing it. Does that make sense in some way though?

Mick is very up.. Keith is very laid back. In general, overall, basically.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 10, 2018 07:50

Certainly fits speech and presence of each...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 10, 2018 18:13

Hairball
One needs to listen to Heaven with a great stereo system (or headphones)and get lost in the hypnotic groove.
My only complaint is that it isn't twice as long.

thumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 11, 2018 10:21

GasLightStreet

The lyrics to Heaven aren't really anything other than possibly a love song without the love aspect. It's probably more of a loss song.

Adducing an outtake I have, could be young Jade is the subject.

Date: February 11, 2018 10:34

Looking on the internet for more details on Heaven, stumbled upon this rap tune from Bone Thugs N Harmony called Determination from 2010 which heavily samples the Stones version.
Not a big rap fan generally speaking (although there is some I really like ), and never knew of this tune before, but this is a great discovery and rather quite nice imo!

Bone Thugs N Harmony - Determination

Date: February 11, 2018 18:30

Hairball
Looking on the internet for more details on Heaven, stumbled upon this rap tune from Bone Thugs N Harmony called Determination from 2010 which heavily samples the Stones version.
Not a big rap fan generally speaking (although there is some I really like ), and never knew of this tune before, but this is a great discovery and rather quite nice imo!

Damn. No one wrote any music, because it's all Heaven.

That seems to have stopped, the way that was happening. Like that stupid song that used Every Breath You Take. Well, there is that ridiculous excuse of a song that Kid Rock did.

Just think - THAT is OK. Yet some Stones fans - and fake Stones poseur fans - get mad if they use a recording that is X amount of years old and "call it new".

Like that fakeflake going on about TY not being a real album - whatever "real album" means.

Date: February 11, 2018 20:39

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Damn. No one wrote any music, because it's all Heaven.

That seems to have stopped, the way that was happening. Like that stupid song that used Every Breath You Take. Well, there is that ridiculous excuse of a song that Kid Rock did.

Just think - THAT is OK. Yet some Stones fans - and fake Stones poseur fans - get mad if they use a recording that is X amount of years old and "call it new".

Like that fakeflake going on about TY not being a real album - whatever "real album" means.

Mick more than likely approved of the usage as he likes to be hip, but according to one of the youtube comments it seems the "Stones" as a band didn't approve for it to be on the album - that would probably mean Keith who we know hates rap. But while it was left off of the album (possibly for the reason above), it is legally available as a downloadable single tune on itunes - wonder if Mick (or the Stones) get a percentage of the profits made?

Another example of using a song in it's entirety was P-Diddy Daddy Doggy Doo Doo (or whatever he calls himself) and his use of Kashmir in which Jimmy Page actually played on.
Haven't heard that one in years, and hope to never hear it again. As for the above Determination, it was late last night when I discovered it haha, but still like it and see it as more of a novelty or some oddball remix - similar to what Mick did with hip hop artist Skepta on Getta Grip/England Lost.

Date: February 12, 2018 01:52

AH! That's the other one I couldn't remember, PaDiddy using Kashmir.

Horrible.

Of course Jagger-Richards make money from that song. Probably about 50%.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 29, 2019 19:06

From the ALBUM TALK thread for UNDERCOVER
retired_dog
Witness
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Witness
24FPS
Take Undercover of the Night off the Undercover album, throw the rest away.

I don't stand for this reductionist attitude towards any Rolling Stones album. However, if I would have been, one option might be to give such treatment to TATTOO YOU. In contrast, UNDERCOVER to me is one of approximately twelve great Stones albums, out of which the last three are SOME GIRLS, EMOTIONAL RESCUE and UNDERCOVER.

thumbs up
You don't consider TATTOO YOU as one of their twelve great albums?

No, maybe TATTOO YOU is not their weakest album to me, but no Stones album irritates me more.

I would love to hear more details about your irritations concerning TATTOO YOU.

As an easy answer, I therefore quote an earlier post in this ALBUM TALK thread

Witness
In a less positive approach than before the weekend:

Start Me Up ----- to me Stones-by-numbers. Not bad, but cheap and therefore slightly irritating, where e.g Highwire is only good
Hang Fire ----- the good punkish song from studio outtakes ruined in this arrangement and with those doo-doo's.
Slave ------ following the two opening songs, not working on me, might have been a good song on BLACK AND BLUE, e.g instead of "Melody"
Little T&A ----I am not so keen on that one either
Black Limousine ---- one rather redeeming song, without being in any way great
Neighbours ---- I found that quite banal, too
Worried About You ---- it is OK, but to me nothing more in the studio version
Tops ---- only "Melody" I like less of Stones music
Heaven ---- it's probably OK, but for me would have needed another setting
No Use in Crying ----- in spite of all preceding tracks, I quite like this one, which tells about some quality
Waiting on a Friend ----a gem good enough to be part of any Stones album, on condition of fitting stylistically, best and possibly only suited on GOATS HEAD SOUP.

An album that clearly is better than DIRTY WORK, but all the same gets on my nerve in a way that DIRTY WORK does not, after I only come through the first two songs, when that album is only relatively weak in the context of Stones music.

To me "Start Me Up" is even the mother of all Stones-by-numbers songs. As such, this is made even worse by that song also being a warhorse.
On the other hand, I may add that a concert version of "Neighbours" in an old bootleg, in contrast to this studio version, I do like. But that fact does not improve the studio version for me.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 29, 2019 21:12

Not bad for a "compilation" album.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 29, 2019 21:56

Their last album with a smash hit - SMU. Stellar sound mix and production by Bob Clearmountain. TY still doesn't sound dated like some of their late 70s albums. Striking graphic design.
A good blues track (BL) and a couple of good ballads. Like Waiting on a Friend. Like on any album - some lesser tracks also. I would rank the album a top contender outside the Golden Four.
And I think this album laid a solid ground for the 81/82 tour and even tours to come after that.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 30, 2019 09:38

iraq0708
Not bad for a "compilation" album.....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

grinning smiley Don't start that again .

[I'm actually getting a bit confused [not difficult] by some of the album threads at the moment.

We have very active threads for Tattoo You , Dirty Work and Undercover , all comparing and referencing the others...

...and I'm losing track of which thread I'm reading half the time confused smiley ]

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 30, 2019 11:10

Just read in my diary yesterday night:

Friday, September 4th, 1981:
"After having breakfast I drove to the city. At Sonnenberg (record store in Hamburg) I bought the new Stones Lp: "TATTOO YOU!". Back home, I just had time to listen ro the first song. (Start Me Up). Super!"

With this album my Stones-Fanship came into full swing.
Being a fan since I was 9 (Get Yer Ya Ya's Out) now I was old enough to see them
live. Which happened June 6, 1982. Tattoo You in late summer 1981 plus the reports & pictures from the '81 US-Tour were the prolog, the long warm up.
And: I was a young DJ of 20 years at that time and had to play "Start Me Up" every night.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 30, 2019 17:23

ThePaleRider
Side 1: Perfect when you're stuck in traffic on the way to work in the morning.
Side 2: Perfect when you're stuck in traffic on your way home in the evening.

Hmmm.. Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 31, 2019 01:20

Start Me Up -- Never cared for this, though I tried. Stones-by-numbers, seemed like it was sold to us as 'classic Stones' and the casual fan bought it. The lyric is beyond juvenile -- David Lee Roth could do better. Great bass line, I've always wondered if that was added later or was it on the original track.
Hang Fire -- Possible SG-style punk rocker that got a sterile production.
Slave -- Good groove, not really a song.
Little T&A -- Stones bubblegum.
Black Limousine -- This was real.
Worried About You -- Well crafted. I still enjoy it.
Neighbours -- No melody, don't care for the vocal. Or the lead guitar.
Tops -- Um, what the hell is this?
Heaven -- Interesting.
No Use in Crying -- More of a groove than a song, but all right.
Waiting On A Friend -- Lovely. But not as good as Winter or TWFNO, so I see why it was put in storage.

I don't see it as a compilation album, but you could call it an album of outtakes that was dolled up in production.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 31, 2019 06:46

I hadn't listened to TY in a long time and played it in my car to and from work today. God damnit is that a good fukcing album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 06:50 by ryanpow.

Date: July 31, 2019 09:28

wonderboy
Start Me Up -- Never cared for this, though I tried. Stones-by-numbers, seemed like it was sold to us as 'classic Stones' and the casual fan bought it. The lyric is beyond juvenile -- David Lee Roth could do better. Great bass line, I've always wondered if that was added later or was it on the original track.
Hang Fire -- Possible SG-style punk rocker that got a sterile production.
Slave -- Good groove, not really a song.
Little T&A -- Stones bubblegum.
Black Limousine -- This was real.
Worried About You -- Well crafted. I still enjoy it.
Neighbours -- No melody, don't care for the vocal. Or the lead guitar.
Heaven -- Interesting.
No Use in Crying -- More of a groove than a song, but all right.
Waiting On A Friend -- Lovely. But not as good as Winter or TWFNO, so I see why it was put in storage.

I don't see it as a compilation album, but you could call it an album of outtakes that was dolled up in production.

Start Me Up: Fantastic Keith riff. Sharp, driving, powerful. The song that re-invented the Stones and setvthem on the road for a second career we all still enjoy until today.

Hang Fire -- nice but not my song.
Slave -- Great groove, lovely production, fantastic Mick.
Little T&A -- Typical Keith.
Black Limousine -- Powerful groove, good harmonica, a hip mover!
Worried About You -- Innovative, lovely falsetto-Mick, great Charlie, Ronnie with wonderful solo - a Stones-diamond.
Neighbours -- My most unliked Stones song of all time.
Heaven -- A all time gift, mind-blowing, the lyrics gave me so much confidence and
hope and positive energy over the years. A song like a very good friend.
One of my top ten Stones pearls.
No Use in Crying -- Yeah, good groove. Nice to listen to.
Waiting On A Friend -- A very good message in a lovely tune and groove, great percussion, strong Mick, sweet chorus ny Ronnie and Keith.

Date: July 31, 2019 09:31

I have to add:

Tops -- Again great groove, great Mick and smart lyrics.

And:

Tattoo You is the album which made the long ride of the Stones we all still enjoy possible.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 31, 2019 09:41

@caschiman:

The solo in Worried About You is really amazing, but it wasn't Ronnie, it was Wayne Perkins in 1975.

Date: July 31, 2019 10:02

micawber
@caschiman:

The solo in Worried About You is really amazing, but it wasn't Ronnie, it was Wayne Perkins in 1975.

Thanks! Must be in the auditions for the new guitar player. Which became Ronnie smiling smiley

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 31, 2019 14:00

Exactlythumbs up

Date: July 31, 2019 22:56

Seems no matter how one breaks this album down between hits, misses, favorites, etc., the general consensus amongst most Stones fans is that Tattoo You is the last truly GREAT Stones album.
Glad I was able to experience it all as a 17 yr. old, and the accompanying tour that came with it. Those were the days...

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 23:06

Start Me Up: 10/10
Hang Fire: 10/10
Slave: 10/10
Little T&A: 10/10
Black Limousine: 8/10
Neighbors: 10/10
Worried About You: 10/10
Tops: 10/10
Heaven: 6/10
No Use In Crying: 10/10
Waiting On A Friend: 10/10

Yes, TATTOO YOU was the last truly great Stones album from start to finish.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 31, 2019 23:07

I was 17 too, the album had to grow on me but then I was hooked. And the tour (in the summer of '82 in my case), what memories that brings back. Our wheelchairs still reverberate when we reminisce smiling smiley

Date: July 31, 2019 23:40

Start Me Up: 9/10
Hang Fire: 9/10
Slave: 10/10
Little T&A: 10/10
Black Limousine: 9/10
Neighbours: 8/10
Worried About You: 8/10
Tops: 9/10
Heaven: 9/10
No Use In Crying: 8/10
Waiting On A Friend: 10/10

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 1, 2019 00:19

Bring the lights down, no "Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones" announcement. Start in on Heaven as the opening song as you fade lights up..

Look around you, whoever's still there are Stones' fans.

F*ck it, they'll ALL still be there because people know the entire Stones' catalog, not just the hits. Stones albums are played in their entirety vs so much of today's music where you can stand one track and that's it.

If you hear a track you don't care for as much at a Stones' show, chances are near 100% you'll enjoy the next track they play.

Back to Tattoo You -- Man that cover was awesome when it first came out. We'd be imitating Mick's MTV Start Me Up moves at school. When the guitar line mimics the bass line in Slave, wowza. Little T@A we were all trying to figure out "pool's in patio ain't dry" wtf that mean?!? But it was cool. Heaven was the tune we all paused at.. Enjoyed it, but took a pause. I mean, there's Jumping Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, and... Heaven. Wow, the Stones went from Little Red Rooster to Can You Hear The Music to Shattered to Down In The Hole to Heaven, they rock!!

So, yes, they should open Seattle (my next show) with Heaven.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home