Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: U2 tour
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 14:19

[www.rte.ie]

Four nights in Dublin, two in Belfast!

Must revisit last years' 'Songs of Innocence'; still feel their best album since perhaps 1997's 'Pop'.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-21 23:03 by bv.

Re: O/T U2 - 6 Irish Dates to finish tour
Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 19:31

They have not released even decent music in eons.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:06

Normally I stick up for U2 but lately I'm losing interest. I'll go to one show since the stage is innovative. Recently I was thinking where my passion for them went and I realized it's Bono's outside stuff that kind of ruined it for me. For instance shaking hands with George Bush, though quite while ago I can't get passed it. Nevertheless I'll keep an open mind, I do like a few of the new songs.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 9, 2015 23:53

frankotero
Normally I stick up for U2 but lately I'm losing interest. I'll go to one show since the stage is innovative. Recently I was thinking where my passion for them went and I realized it's Bono's outside stuff that kind of ruined it for me. For instance shaking hands with George Bush, though quite while ago I can't get passed it. Nevertheless I'll keep an open mind, I do like a few of the new songs.
Thats beyond stupid but whatever.

Date: September 10, 2015 00:00

Wow, nice insult. Some of us looked at Bono as a person for the people, sort of a rebel. Not a guy shaking hands with the opposition. By the way what good became of it? Or should I say whatever?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 10, 2015 00:31

Thats absurd. He shook hands with the President of the United States. He wasn't making out with him. The guy's a public figure. If THATS the thing off the top of your head you're gonna bring up and hold against him, then yes I think thats unbelievably stupid and I have no other response for it. I'm sure Mick Jagger getting knighted is a totally different story. I'm not insulting you, I'm pointing out your wholly illogical thinking.

Date: September 10, 2015 00:45

Hmm, yes you're right saying he shook hands with the President, normally that wouldn't be an issue. But that particular President doesn't fit the U2 or anything Rock And Roll image, except for maybe Ted Nugent. Typically bands like u2 promote liberal and free/open minded thinking. Without getting too political and disregarding BVs rule maybe we should leave this alone. I'm okay with being on opposite sides on this if you are. Come to think of it there's a new U2 track that kind of covers this "every breaking wave". Happens to be my favorite of the bunch.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: September 10, 2015 00:45

Bono was meeting with world leaders everywhere when he was heavily involved in various African charities. He's still involved, but he's no longer the figurehead for these causes. Bono meeting with Bush means nothing. He also has a friendly relationship with Bill Clinton. To criticize him for having a meeting with Bush is ridiculous, his ultimate goal was to try to HELP STARVING, DYING PEOPLE.

I actually really enjoyed their last album. I loved it the first time I heard it, and a year later I still love it. "No line on the horizon" (2009) and "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" (2004) had some good stuff, but were overall not very good albums, and they didn't GRAB ME right away. "All that you can't leave behind" (2000) is one of my favorites. To say they don't make good music anymore is not accurate. There are people who say the Rolling Stones haven't made anything good in the last 30 years, which is also not accurate. U2 and the Stones will both probably never write anything as good or important as they did in their "prime", but that doesn't mean the songs aren't good.

Obviously I'm a U2 fan. I'm also a Stones fan, and a Springsteen fan, and a Tom Petty fan, etc. I try to be excited for the next chapter in the story of an artist I've followed for years. Most people approach new music with the attitude that they aren't going to like it, even before they've heard a note. But if you have the opportunity to see U2, the Stones, Springsteen, or any of these concerts known for great live shows, GO! Because once they're all gone, what concerts will there be to go to? Coldplay? Kings of Leon? Meh...

Date: September 10, 2015 00:57

Hi Podiumboy. Actually I don't remember "why" he met with Bush, but only that he did. If it was for the African Charity then I stand corrected. But I can say that I wasn't the only U2 fan upset by this. Also, didn't know he was out of this charity. Are you sure about that, I thought it was his life's work. That never bothered me, but he pushed it a little too far during gigs on recent tours for my taste. That's my opinion/feeling and others may disagree, that's okay. For what it's worth I've never given up on them entirely only said I've lost interest. There may very well be some more good music in them. I look forward to it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 10, 2015 02:51

IrelandCalling4
[www.rte.ie]

Four nights in Dublin, two in Belfast!

Must revisit last years' 'Songs of Innocence'; still feel their best album since perhaps 1997's 'Pop'.

Nah. ATYCLB is the best since ACHTUNG BABY/ZOOROPA and is up there if not better than even TJT.

SOI has grown considerably on me. I really dig it.

Date: September 10, 2015 02:52

Stones50
They have not released even decent music in eons.

Says a Stones fan of a band that hasn't critically across the board released even decent music in eons.

Date: September 10, 2015 02:53

frankotero

If Mick did the same...

Who cares? It's not to do with the music, with the band.

Date: September 10, 2015 02:54

RollingFreak
Thats absurd. He shook hands with the President of the United States. He wasn't making out with him. The guy's a public figure. If THATS the thing off the top of your head you're gonna bring up and hold against him, then yes I think thats unbelievably stupid and I have no other response for it. I'm sure Mick Jagger getting knighted is a totally different story. I'm not insulting you, I'm pointing out your wholly illogical thinking.

Or, you know, like, playing that show for Obama. OH MY!

Date: September 10, 2015 02:59

frankotero
Hi Podiumboy. Actually I don't remember "why" he met with Bush, but only that he did. If it was for the African Charity then I stand corrected. But I can say that I wasn't the only U2 fan upset by this. Also, didn't know he was out of this charity. Are you sure about that, I thought it was his life's work. That never bothered me, but he pushed it a little too far during gigs on recent tours for my taste. That's my opinion/feeling and others may disagree, that's okay. For what it's worth I've never given up on them entirely only said I've lost interest. There may very well be some more good music in them. I look forward to it.

Bono meeting with Bush (and everyone else) is because, as it was explained, the powers that be, influence, etc. Maturity has something to do with it. And W wasn't exactly like his father, who Bono had a blast with.

People grow up. Some can't handle it. The Stones have done plenty of goofy things with political ties, unintentionally or not, public perception be damned.

So what? So you (any Stones fan) are OK with them, I dunno, milking the money for whatever but have an issue with Bono talking with W Bush? That's ABSURD!

I'm no fan of W Bush but Bono dealing with him for his purposes doesn't do any disservice to me as a fan of U2.

There are important things to worry about, locally and globally, and what Bono does is not one of them.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 10, 2015 06:15

frankotero
Wow, nice insult. Some of us looked at Bono as a person for the people, sort of a rebel. Not a guy shaking hands with the opposition. By the way what good became of it? Or should I say whatever?

I don't think Bono considers President Bush "the opposition" when it comes to treating AIDS in Africa.

And, by the way, a lot of good became of it.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 10, 2015 09:10

Nice gesture from U2. How often has Stones closed a Tour with 6 dates in UK?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 10, 2015 10:09

frankotero

I understand your view, I can do without the "political" part of Bono too. But don't let it ruin the concert experience for you. Or even better, don't let it ruin the U2 music for you.

I discussed it with my friend just this weekend - I said it is true, that Bono maybe forces his save-the-planet ideas to the public too much, he maybe takes pictures with too many politicians, his good intentions don't always work the way they should. But on the other hand, as far as I know, he hasn't done anything bad to anybody, he hasn't said anything insulting. I don't think he is a bad person. I don't even believe he is so full of himself as many people keep on pointing out.

You mentioned that particular photo with George Bush. I know what you mean, but again, don't let it ruin the music for you. I think that Mick taking pictures with One Direction is is an equal offence :-)

Anyway, the current U2 tour gets absolutely excited reviews from all the fans who saw it, so I assume it is really good. I will see them in two weeks and I am really looking forward to it.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 10, 2015 11:34

podiumboy
Bono was meeting with world leaders everywhere when he was heavily involved in various African charities. He's still involved, but he's no longer the figurehead for these causes. Bono meeting with Bush means nothing. He also has a friendly relationship with Bill Clinton. To criticize him for having a meeting with Bush is ridiculous, his ultimate goal was to try to HELP STARVING, DYING PEOPLE.

I actually really enjoyed their last album. I loved it the first time I heard it, and a year later I still love it. "No line on the horizon" (2009) and "How to dismantle an atomic bomb" (2004) had some good stuff, but were overall not very good albums, and they didn't GRAB ME right away. "All that you can't leave behind" (2000) is one of my favorites. To say they don't make good music anymore is not accurate. There are people who say the Rolling Stones haven't made anything good in the last 30 years, which is also not accurate. U2 and the Stones will both probably never write anything as good or important as they did in their "prime", but that doesn't mean the songs aren't good.

Obviously I'm a U2 fan. I'm also a Stones fan, and a Springsteen fan, and a Tom Petty fan, etc. I try to be excited for the next chapter in the story of an artist I've followed for years. Most people approach new music with the attitude that they aren't going to like it, even before they've heard a note. But if you have the opportunity to see U2, the Stones, Springsteen, or any of these concerts known for great live shows, GO! Because once they're all gone, what concerts will there be to go to? Coldplay? Kings of Leon? Meh...

Good points made, right on the mark about new music; it's become a lazy stereotype; "the Stones haven't made anything decent in 30 years" - they have, of course! As have U2

I thought 'No Line on the Horizon' was a fine album, and the new one is even better. They did retreat following the experimental 90s (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop), to the more safe, somewhat bland 'All that you can't Leave Behind' and the very bland 'Atomic Bomb'. 'No Line' brought back some of the 90s verve and was their best album at that point in a decade.

I've only seen them once, 2011, and loved the show. I am looking forward to the shows in November; reports from the US are very positive.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2015 12:27

RollingFreak
frankotero
I was thinking where my passion for them went and I realized it's Bono's outside stuff that kind of ruined it for me. For instance shaking hands with George Bush, though quite while ago I can't get passed it. Nevertheless I'll keep an open mind, I do like a few of the new songs.

No he's right that was more than a mstake it was a fault. Or... Bono should have brought a vial of polonium at the WH. "Let's drink to the peace of the world George!" winking smiley

Posted by: weinerdog ()
Date: September 10, 2015 16:37

I've seen 4 shows on their current tour. It's a great show, and the screen/tech they use is something else and I'd encourage anyone on the fence to go.

Pretty much any floor seat/lower bowl will provide an awesome view. With the b-stage nobody in GA and the catwalk there really isn't a need to line up before the show.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 10, 2015 16:43

re the Bono/GWB connection:

[www.cnn.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 10, 2015 17:04

Come On
Nice gesture from U2. How often has Stones closed a Tour with 6 dates in UK?

Well, there hasn't been a proper U.K. tour since 1971! We're lumped in with mainland Europe, now. Just another stoping-point on their Euro-slog, sadly.

Date: September 10, 2015 17:30

RollingFreak
frankotero

Yep, they NEVER miss a chance to make it political. Unreal. But if I say something about Clinton..Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 10, 2015 17:38

Honestly, one the more refreshing things about them is the fact that they've never really came out for one candidate or the other here in the States. Bono's said many times that they're Irish so they stay out of other countries political battles.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 10, 2015 17:43

Bush's support for combatting HIV/AIDS in Africa via AMFAR and other funding mechanisms was one of the few positives to come out the his otherwise disastrous Presidency.

THAT'S why Bono shook his hand, and he was right to do so.

Date: September 10, 2015 18:14

Briefly read the first part of that CNN story about Bush sending 19 Billion Dollars compared to Obama's less than One Billion. Had to stop there. Politics are a never (or rarely) win-win situation. On one side you will have people complaining too much American money sent overseas and others comparing how much the other (un-liked) guy sent. Reminds me of a story of a person I knew that complained about a stagnant economy, but at the same time wanted to buy a Rolex Watch to put in a safe until it became extremely valuable. By the way he's a hard-core Republican. Could you tell? Okay, sorry BV if you're reading this, I'm done on this subject. Which has strayed off from the original topic. Apologies to IrelandCalling4.

Date: September 10, 2015 18:14

Guess I better not give my opinion about the current "president"

Date: September 11, 2015 00:18

Stones50
Guess I better not give my opinion about the current "president"

Bobby Jindal he ain't!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 11, 2015 05:00

I missed this tour, and it makes me a little sad, because that stage looked fabulous. I love U2, have every album... I feel the later albums have fewer real gems than the albums of the 80's and 90's, but they have never released, imho, a bad record/ album. There are some newer songs I don't care for, but many that are still just excellent. I think they have tried too hard to stay relevant and appeal to a massive audience, and they have quite literally made too much of an effort to make happier sounding music. I like the dark side of U2. Pop is my favorite album. Those if you heading out to see them in Ireland, have a blast. I gave heard only great things about this tour from friends who have attended.

Date: September 11, 2015 19:18

frankotero
Briefly read the first part of that CNN story about Bush sending 19 Billion Dollars compared to Obama's less than One Billion. Had to stop there. Politics are a never (or rarely) win-win situation. On one side you will have people complaining too much American money sent overseas and others comparing how much the other (un-liked) guy sent. Reminds me of a story of a person I knew that complained about a stagnant economy, but at the same time wanted to buy a Rolex Watch to put in a safe until it became extremely valuable. By the way he's a hard-core Republican. Could you tell? Okay, sorry BV if you're reading this, I'm done on this subject. Which has strayed off from the original topic. Apologies to IrelandCalling4.
Knuckelhead

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home