Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
100 Years Ago - live
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 20:10

A friend is looking for a live recording of 100 Years Ago that extends into a 'jam'. The Vienna 1973 version is not a great recording.

Does this exist ?

I've searched my inventory and cannot find.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 20:15 by custom55.

Re: 100 Years Ago - live
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 5, 2015 21:10

custom55
....that extends into a 'jam'.
Thanks

In other words, MT didnt know how to stop noodling...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 5, 2015 21:14

HMS
custom55
Thanks

HMS, your constant jabs at MT and his playing are getting a bit tiring. I think we all get that you don't care for his playing by now....

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: September 5, 2015 21:30

Maybe Kleermaker can help us out, he does miracles in Taylor-land.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 5, 2015 21:31

Naturalust
HMS, your constant jabs at MT and his playing are getting a bit tiring. I think we all get that you don't care for his playing by now....

You are right, but it was too tempting, could not resistsmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 5, 2015 22:31

HMS
Naturalust

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 23:09 by kleermaker.

Date: September 5, 2015 22:51

LuxuryStones

There's only one other live version of 100 Years Ago. Played in Mannheim, 1973 Sept. 3. I couldn't find it on YT and the sound quality is comparable to the Vienna version.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: September 5, 2015 22:52

kleermaker
HMS
Naturalust

Maybe a psychiatrist can help you out properly.

Let him, Kleerie...some are into music, others are into posing - to each his or her own, that's ok with me.

Date: September 5, 2015 23:09

alimente
kleermaker
HMS
Naturalust

Maybe a psychiatrist can help you out properly.

Let him, Kleerie...some are into music, others are into posing - to each his or her own, that's ok with me.

You are right alimente! Will delete my former post right now and will upload a nice version of the Mannheim 100 Years Ago to YT and then post it here. smiling smiley

Date: September 5, 2015 23:22

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

There's only one other live version of 100 Years Ago. Played in Mannheim, 1973 Sept. 3. I couldn't find it on YT and the sound quality is comparable to the Vienna version.

Thanx. Ive never heard that second version. It's existence is the good news, the sound quality message sucks.sad smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 23:30

Yeah there are no circulated sound board versions of the 100 Years Ago.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: September 6, 2015 00:11

1973 rehearsal ...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 6, 2015 00:23

Just love this tune. Pretty sure this "demo" version includes some of the tracks used on the released version.

[www.youtube.com]

So if I'm following this thread correctly there are only 5 versions of this song out there?

1. GHS released version
2. 1973 Demo version
3. Rehearsal version (sans Billy Preston?)
4. Vienna live boot
5. Mannheim boot

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 00:54

i listened to a live version of 100 years ago last night from 1973 on youtube, it was quite good.

bit of as coincidence that it would be topic of discussion today.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:02

If I'm not mistaken this is one of the first examples of mick using his "Keith voice" for the backing vocal overdub.

Date: September 6, 2015 01:02

Here is 'number 5', the Mannheim live version from the European tour 1973 (the audio quality is ... remarkable):

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 01:27 by kleermaker.

Date: September 6, 2015 01:16

Splendid. Thanks Kleer. thumbs up

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:30

Very cool and thanks for posting kleermaker.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:39

HMS
custom55
Thanks

as someone who is not a fan of MT's noodling in 72 and 73, i think his playing on this is good. i particularly like it on the mannheim concert that kleermaker posted.

the problem is that the song was never finished. for that, i blame the songwriters not the band.

if you listen to the rehearsal version posted, it is just the kernel of a song, comparable to very early demos of a number of songs they did in 68,69 etc. - however in the case of 100 years ago they just added billy preston and called it done. starting to write a song is often easy, it's finishing the song that is hard (just take a look at the 1+1 documentary of SFTD for an example.)

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:19

kleermaker
Here is 'number 5', the Mannheim live version from the European tour 1973 (the audio quality is ... remarkable):

I remember the poor quality of the rare and expensive vinyl boot "100% Odd Lots" when these vinyls were the only chance to listen to stuff like this.
Compared to that quality your upload sounds fantastic. Thank you for that!

Tom

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:24

Vienna ....................

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 6, 2015 02:35

Thanks for that kleerie. I imagine it must have sounded great front and center at that show. It seems the Stones always play these songs best live right after the release them.

I've always considered Mick's singing and harmony vocals on the original some of his all time best stuff. I really miss that vocal approach in modern Stones records.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:39

Naturalust
HMS
custom55
Thanks

Entitled to the opinion & the right to express, no matter how tiring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-06 02:39 by BILLPERKS.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 6, 2015 02:41

Naturalust
Thanks for that kleerie. I imagine it must have sounded great front and center at that show. It seems the Stones always play these songs best live right after the release them.

I've always considered Mick's singing and harmony vocals on the original some of his all time best stuff. I really miss that vocal approach in modern Stones records.

The reason my opinion is, he try to hard to sing at his best .......and she shouldn't do that........just sing as it comes Mick............

Date: September 6, 2015 02:49

NICOS
Naturalust

The reason my opinion is, he try to hard to sing at his best .......and she shouldn't do that........just sing as it comes Mick............

Yeah there was something unforced and natural about his approach to many songs from that era. I especially love it when he combines that natural sounding approach with his own harmonies. So good and as much of the Stones classic sound as any Keith riff or Taylor lead, imo.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 03:02

I have a pretty clear memory of running home from Licorice Pizza with GHS under my arm, ripping the cello off, and slapping Side 1 on my turntable.

"Dancing With Mr D" was sluggish but still obviously came from The Stones space-time continuum. (I should have been forewarned, though: The Stones last four albums had kicked off with SFTD, GS, BS, and RO; "Mr D" is several thousand light years from them.)

"100 Years Ago," though, I found completely bonkers. What was this clavinet bullshit? 'Lazybones'? Really? Taylor's outro solo was sizzling, so I had some hope for the next track ...

Which was beautiful and an incredible downer and the first Keith lead vocal on a RS record I didn't just want to skip over. Mick's harmony vox on CDA are ravishing. "Sky fall down again," indeed.

Then more clavinet, and then "Angie." It was the weirdest side 1 of a Stones record I'd ever heard. (Not sure I knew TSMR yet.)

My confusion all started with "100 Years Ago." Which today I kind of like for its "differentness" but on that day in 73 I heard it as the downfall of a great band.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 06:53

Van Morrison influence on Jagger throughout much of this record.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2015 07:28

thomashanck
1973 rehearsal ...

[www.youtube.com]

That is my all time favorite pic of Keith!

Date: September 6, 2015 07:44

LongBeachArena72
I have a pretty clear memory of running home from Licorice Pizza with GHS under my arm, ripping the cello off, and slapping Side 1 on my turntable.

"Dancing With Mr D" was sluggish but still obviously came from The Stones space-time continuum. (I should have been forewarned, though: The Stones last four albums had kicked off with SFTD, GS, BS, and RO; "Mr D" is several thousand light years from them.)

"100 Years Ago," though, I found completely bonkers. What was this clavinet bullshit? 'Lazybones'? Really? Taylor's outro solo was sizzling, so I had some hope for the next track ...

Which was beautiful and an incredible downer and the first Keith lead vocal on a RS record I didn't just want to skip over. Mick's harmony vox on CDA are ravishing. "Sky fall down again," indeed.

Then more clavinet, and then "Angie." It was the weirdest side 1 of a Stones record I'd ever heard. (Not sure I knew TSMR yet.)

My confusion all started with "100 Years Ago." Which today I kind of like for its "differentness" but on that day in 73 I heard it as the downfall of a great band.

eye popping smiley Clavinet bullshit? You mean that beautiful funky rhythmic Billy Preston bliss don't you? lol C'mon man the way it dominated the first verse providing a groove a mile wide in an otherwise rather folky arranged tune was amazing. Plus the song is just so good, structure, lyrics, singing, harmony, killer Taylor playing...it's got it all. Besides the great Stevie Wonder was doing amazing things with the clav at the time too, surely you "got" what he was doing with it? Preston was just bringing some 70's soul and amazing rhythm to the tune.

But hey I respect your opinion, especially since you heard the tune when it was released. I didn't discover it till years later but understood and loved it the first time I heard it and my love hasn't waived. I will agree with you one one point, the lazy bones seems a bit odd for the tune. cheers.

Hey TeddyB1018, never heard anyone describe a Van Morrison influence. I wonder if Jagger ever talked about that? In any case whatever it was, his singing was great, perhaps he should be listening to more Van these days!

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 6, 2015 08:08

I don't know...

100 Years Ago...is my favorite song on GHS.

I hear what you are saying...

It is kind of a curve ball coming...

And is a link to all the sappiness that is IORR and Black and Blue.

That song kind of stripped the Stones of all that fantastic dark charisma
they built between 1967 - 1972.

And it gives you a bridge to hearing Mick sing with Carly Simon on "Your So Vain".

But I do love the song as well as Winter.

I play the shit out of Winter in February/March every year when I'm sick of Winter!

Pecman

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home