Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue
Date: October 14, 2018 16:20

Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
babyblue
I like this lp although it wasn't a huge seller.

It topped the US and UK charts! The single went number 3 in the US.

....coming off the heels of Some Girls had a lot to do with it. In retrospect a lazy follow-up.

And after listening more the "lazy follow-up" turned out to be great. See the reviews in this thread smiling smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 14, 2018 18:14

DandelionPowderman
Maindefender
DandelionPowderman
babyblue
I like this lp although it wasn't a huge seller.

It topped the US and UK charts! The single went number 3 in the US.

....coming off the heels of Some Girls had a lot to do with it. In retrospect a lazy follow-up.

And after listening more the "lazy follow-up" turned out to be great. See the reviews in this thread smiling smiley

Right...ER is not the evil but the ( slightly weaker) glimmer twin of SG...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 14, 2018 18:37

Emotional Rescue was the 1st Rolling Stones Album I heard.
MN Summer 1980 in a friend’s basement, her parents had bought the record.
‘Is there nothin I can say, nothin I can do? To change your mind, I’m so in love with you’
And the rest is history.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 19:31

deardoctor
Great great great album!
But it took me 10 years to realize

+1

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 15, 2018 16:18

I was just doing research - I didn't realize that Ronnie Wood played bass on album version of Emotional Rescue song itself. Preference includes the deeper richer bass tones. However, live version works as well ( a bit trebled). Caught it in Boston Circa 2014. The Chicago "you tube" version from same tour proves very similar to the Boston concert (Friday Night) .

Date: October 15, 2018 16:21

Yep, it's Ronnie on ER (even though Bill is on bass in the promo video).

Date: October 15, 2018 18:26

Chris Fountain
I was just doing research - I didn't realize that Ronnie Wood played bass on album version of Emotional Rescue song itself. Preference includes the deeper richer bass tones. However, live version works as well ( a bit trebled). Caught it in Boston Circa 2014. The Chicago "you tube" version from same tour proves very similar to the Boston concert (Friday Night) .

I hate to say this, and yes perhaps I’m envious my self imposed RS live exile just missed ‘Emotional Rescue’ live 2013 (I came back 2015)
Anyway, yo Chicago. Lame audience. The only one grooving was Mick’s trainer from the side. Chicago didn’t feed him.
Hyde Park ‘Emotional Rescue’ seems quite different crowd wise, I don’t own the DVD, but clips off utube makes me guess this was the most recent best live version of ‘ER’

Date: October 15, 2018 18:32

35love
Chris Fountain

I hate to say this, and yes perhaps I’m envious my self imposed RS live exile just missed ‘Emotional Rescue’ live 2013 (I came back 2015)
Anyway, yo Chicago. Lame audience. The only one grooving was Mick’s trainer from the side. Chicago didn’t feed him.
Hyde Park ‘Emotional Rescue’ seems quite different crowd wise, I don’t own the DVD, but clips off utube makes me guess this was the most recent best live version of ‘ER’

It was great in Oslo 2014 as well:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 15, 2018 19:00

Ok the video does not capture the entire spirit of the song as there are many folks that like this song in an audience collaboration. In other words it does',t include Jagger Strolloing around the arena stage. Perspectively, overhead camera shots or sitting one or two rows above the pit make a big difference in the experience of enjoying this song. Of course, I'm considering arenas only; excluding worthless stadiums.

In another appreciative sense -it really shows Keith's casual excellence of supporting rhythm .

Very awesome post!!!

Date: October 15, 2018 19:19

Yes, I was wrong to judge Chicago audience by my limited utube rip off view, lol.
Still.......

Thanks for the live links I’m going to check them out laterthumbs up

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 15, 2018 19:37

Bought this one on cassette, a sign of the times, right when it came out.
Rocked it all summer long in the car.

What great memories...
Love it.
All of it.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 15, 2018 19:52

Chris Fountain
I was just doing research - I didn't realize that Ronnie Wood played bass on album version of Emotional Rescue song itself.

Wow...mind blown. If anyone had asked me what I thought Bill Wyman's most brilliant playing was on I'da said ER!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:09

My roots as listener are in what I regard as the two periodes of 1963-67.

To me EMOTIONAL RESCUE is the ideal vantage point for the band with Ron Woods as guitarist, apart from Keith Richards, part 3 of the Rolling Stones, in another direction than UNDERCOVER ( which I also consider as great), for a new album, seen from the autumn of 2018. That good is EMOTIONAL RESCUE.

Latest edit: Added a missing letter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-15 21:41 by Witness.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:22

The title track was my first Stones single, but TATTOO YOU was my first LP.

As for the title song live, the LA version where Mick keeps stepping in time with the beat through the entire song is my favorite version.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:27

ER is my fav RW era record along with undercover. I love indian girl.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:33

I love this album! I do not know why many Stones fans do not give it the right credit. I do not even agree that it is a minor version of Some Girls, in my opinion they are two very different albums starting from the sound ...
EDIT. Ronnie Wood is a great bass player, just listen to something from the jeff beck group to get an opinion. He also played bass on the Rolling Stones tour of the 75 on Fingerprint File.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-15 21:03 by Testify.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2018 05:36

ER has some outstanding guitaring on it. And the drums. The sound. Just a killer album. Sure, some of the songs are a bit wonk but overall it works really good.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 16, 2018 09:26

Dance (Pt.1) - Good riffing inside an oddly depressing tune – it feels as if you’re dancing with junkies. 3

Summer Romance - I love the energy born of Jagger’s sleazy joie de vivre. Unfortunately his vocals are so over the top it’s impossible to take this song even remotely seriously (a more menacing delivery a la Stray Cat Blues might’ve turned this into a classic). Not surprised I loved it as a high schooler but would have to (reluctantly) call this filler today. 6

Send It To Me - The intro isn’t nearly as dazzling as Keith and Ronnie probably thought it was – there’s something off about it – but Mick saves this one with his hammy vocals. You can just imagine him strutting around like a hopped-up aerobics instructor on speed had they made a video for this. 7.5

Let Me Go - This is the way I prefer Mick to sing, subdued with a slightly drunken drawl. Perfectly crafted Rolling Stones song. Pure aces with me (and even though Mick’s lyrics begin to stink up later albums starting with this one the idea of hanging out in a gay bar to evade some clingy woman is pure genius IMO and I only wish I had the balls to try it myself). 10

Indian Girl - Ok, I guess it’s the preposterous lyrics which have earned this song so many rock razzies but I still think it’s a beautiful ballad with great performances all around IMO. 7.5

Where The Boys Go - I wish there was a pic of those girls who enter the song like cartoon characters towards the end on the album jacket. And I wish each album included a pair of their panty hose. Other than that, I’m not too interested in this song. 2

Down In The Hole - Great moody song which like ‘Let It Loose’ just isn’t catchy enough to make it into my weekly rotation. But it’s always a treat to hear. 9

Emotional Rescue - Fantastic bass line. It’s kind of kitschy and goofy and impossible to pull off at karaoke but this, for better or worse, is Mick at his coolest in 1980. 9.5

She's So Cold - Great guitar play which like a lot of the songs from this period forward deserved better lyrics. But there’s no denying that this is a latter day classic. 9.5

All About You - You don’t have to be a junkie to write a love song like this but it probably didn’t hurt. Grateful to Keith for stuff like this. 10

Date: October 16, 2018 09:50

Testify
I love this album! I do not know why many Stones fans do not give it the right credit. I do not even agree that it is a minor version of Some Girls, in my opinion they are two very different albums starting from the sound ...
EDIT. Ronnie Wood is a great bass player, just listen to something from the jeff beck group to get an opinion. He also played bass on the Rolling Stones tour of the 75 on Fingerprint File.

Seems like they do now, if one should judge by the reviews in this thread..

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2018 11:04

Swayed1967
Dance (Pt.1) - Good riffing inside an oddly depressing tune – it feels as if you’re dancing with junkies. 3

Summer Romance - I love the energy born of Jagger’s sleazy joie de vivre. Unfortunately his vocals are so over the top it’s impossible to take this song even remotely seriously (a more menacing delivery a la Stray Cat Blues might’ve turned this into a classic). Not surprised I loved it as a high schooler but would have to (reluctantly) call this filler today. 6

Send It To Me - The intro isn’t nearly as dazzling as Keith and Ronnie probably thought it was – there’s something off about it – but Mick saves this one with his hammy vocals. You can just imagine him strutting around like a hopped-up aerobics instructor on speed had they made a video for this. 7.5

Let Me Go - This is the way I prefer Mick to sing, subdued with a slightly drunken drawl. Perfectly crafted Rolling Stones song. Pure aces with me (and even though Mick’s lyrics begin to stink up later albums starting with this one the idea of hanging out in a gay bar to evade some clingy woman is pure genius IMO and I only wish I had the balls to try it myself). 10

Indian Girl - Ok, I guess it’s the preposterous lyrics which have earned this song so many rock razzies but I still think it’s a beautiful ballad with great performances all around IMO. 7.5

Where The Boys Go - I wish there was a pic of those girls who enter the song like cartoon characters towards the end on the album jacket. And I wish each album included a pair of their panty hose. Other than that, I’m not too interested in this song. 2

Down In The Hole - Great moody song which like ‘Let It Loose’ just isn’t catchy enough to make it into my weekly rotation. But it’s always a treat to hear. 9

Emotional Rescue - Fantastic bass line. It’s kind of kitschy and goofy and impossible to pull off at karaoke but this, for better or worse, is Mick at his coolest in 1980. 9.5

She's So Cold - Great guitar play which like a lot of the songs from this period forward deserved better lyrics. But there’s no denying that this is a latter day classic. 9.5

All About You - You don’t have to be a junkie to write a love song like this but it probably didn’t hurt. Grateful to Keith for stuff like this. 10

thumbs up Almost agree completely, only I would give Let Me Go a 6.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 16, 2018 23:16

A slow,slow burner this one, especially side 1 tracks like Summer Romance and Send it To Me.
Let Me Go, She's So Cold, All About You have always been classics. The album does have a great sound which makes it so great even when listening in the car.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 17, 2018 04:09

Can we get this on a commercial release already?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2018 05:47

Glam Descendant
Can we get this on a commercial release already?

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

I have the 12" promo vinyl I bought way back in the day at my local record store, as well as the 12" Miss You vinyl bought prior to that.
Side one is If I Was a Dancer (Dance pt. II) and the other side is the instrumental version. They need to release it!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 3, 2019 23:46

When I would make a mix tape of Emotional Rescue, I would leave off Indian Girl and All About You, and move the title track up to the beginning. It makes a nice opening number because the rest of the album sounds nothing at all like the title track. The rest of the album (sans the two ballads) is just cool rock.

I always imagine the Stones were trying to beat bands like the Clash and the Sex Pistols with this album. I love it. It has a very "summer" feel to it.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 4, 2019 08:26

Kurt

What great memories...
Love it.
All of it.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: January 4, 2019 08:29

babyblue
Kurt

What great memories...
Love it.
All of it.

Oops my fingers slipped. I got this on cassette too. A great lp, I couldn't stop playing the tape back then.

Date: January 4, 2019 12:16

Swayed1967

"Dancing with junkies" haha.. Very good review; mainly because I agree almost 100%. The only thing I differ on, is that I think the intro to 'Send it to me" is very good.

Date: January 4, 2019 13:05

Do you rate a song high (a 9 or 10) if you skip it or very seldom listen to it?
If you have Emotional Rescue on (the turntable, a CD, tape)
do you skip ‘All About You’?
While I feel the effort, emotion etc. on ‘All About You’ is worthy of a high score, the fact that it is a grind of guts on the floor depressing has me skip it all the time/ never listen to it.
Therefore, I personally give it a low number.

Date: January 4, 2019 15:12

35love
While I feel the effort, emotion etc. on ‘All About You’ is worthy of a high score, the fact that it is a grind of guts on the floor depressing has me skip it all the time/ never listen to it.

That's a good question. There are variations on that premise though. It's a piece you respect, but you skip it. Do you skip it because it is just a drag? Or is it a scenario where you have to be in the mood to handle it; only happens at certain times. Maybe it is just too much.
E.g. the films "Leaving Las Vegas" or "Breaking the Waves",'Requiem for a Dream" are very, very good. But it is not something I can watch too often, or just at any ole time. Or "Hospice" by the Antlers is not an album you want to start a sunny day with.
On the other hand there are songs that are a spilling of guts, definitely; but I can listen to them all the time. Eg. "Alice" by Tom Waits, "Death take your fiddle" by Spiritualized, "Mother" by John Lennon.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: January 4, 2019 17:19

35love

That is a good question. It seems you and I think alike. I've always felt that Indian Girl and All About You tend to sap the energy that I get from the rest of the album, so I've always left them off mix tapes. Not that they're bad songs, but the rest of the album has enough variety in the flow to make it satisfying without having to slow down THAT much.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home