Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 19, 2015 18:04

Chacho
the swan song, Steel Wheels.

They made a couple of albums after the swan song, didn´t they?

Posted by: mainoffender1 ()
Date: December 19, 2015 18:20

Fantastic album!
Fresh and young, very up to date!
With a small shot of punk and disco, just in touch with the latest sounds done in their very own style as ever ...
For me one of the last relevant Rolling Stones albums, better than Tattoo You, because there's no single weak song on it.

Date: December 19, 2015 18:22

GasLightStreet
HMS
I agree with the exception of Let Me Go which deserves at least a ten and Summer Romance which is rated to high.

Wait a minute... Emotional Rescue as significant as JJF, Gimme Shelter, One Hit To The Body, Doom And Gloom, no never. ER has an interesting intro but the song becomes quickly boring and annoying.

Yes. If you know the catalogue then you'd understand. Since you don't - and what drugs you are taking makes you think you can include One Hit in regards to songs that have a high ranking in their catalogue is hilarious: it's only worthy as a B-side at best - then you don't. That's your loss, which you seem to be fine with.

Emotional Rescue is as significant as Jumpin' Jack Flash indeed - they were not a band that just sat still and did the same thing over and over and over (that would be later). Emotional Rescue is just as important to the catalogue as Happy, Before They Make Me Run, Shattered, Brown Sugar, Miss You, Start Me Up, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Beast Of Burden and quite a few others that were either band defining singles or band defining songs and sounds.

You say ER is as significant/important as JJF and still call me three times a day a deaf, dumb & numb brainless trog for loving Dirty Work.

JJF is a milestone, ER was an attempt to repeat the success of Miss You. Just another jump on the disco train, musically in no way groundbreaking. If everything they do what they have never done before is as important as their milestones then Might As Well Get Juiced is as important as Gimme Shelter obviously.

One Hit is fantastic compared to Emotional Rescue, the only thing hilarious is Mick Jagger following the footsteps of the Brothers Gibb on Emotional Rescue...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: December 19, 2015 18:55

It was my emotional rescue during army service...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 20, 2015 21:24

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
In terms of the album itself...

Dance (Pt. 1) 6.5
Summer Romance 10
Send It to Me 5
Let Me Go 7
Indian Girl 4
Where The Boys Go 8
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

If I Was A Dancer 6.5

In regards to their catalogue...

Dance (Pt. 1) 5
Summer Romance 8
Send It to Me 2
Let Me Go 6
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

Whyy?

Because Dance is better.

Date: December 20, 2015 21:25

HMS
matxil
Turner68
[...]

Dirty work - now I am told considered such an embarrassment any roadie who mentions the album will be summarily dismissed [...]

smiling smiley
That's funny, is that really true?

Can´t imagine that. It´s a story by GasLightStreet to bash the album a bit more, I suppose.

No. Unfortunately I did not make that one up. Sounds very reasonable though.

Date: December 20, 2015 21:31

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS
I agree with the exception of Let Me Go which deserves at least a ten and Summer Romance which is rated to high.

Wait a minute... Emotional Rescue as significant as JJF, Gimme Shelter, One Hit To The Body, Doom And Gloom, no never. ER has an interesting intro but the song becomes quickly boring and annoying.

Yes. If you know the catalogue then you'd understand. Since you don't - and what drugs you are taking makes you think you can include One Hit in regards to songs that have a high ranking in their catalogue is hilarious: it's only worthy as a B-side at best - then you don't. That's your loss, which you seem to be fine with.

Emotional Rescue is as significant as Jumpin' Jack Flash indeed - they were not a band that just sat still and did the same thing over and over and over (that would be later). Emotional Rescue is just as important to the catalogue as Happy, Before They Make Me Run, Shattered, Brown Sugar, Miss You, Start Me Up, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Beast Of Burden and quite a few others that were either band defining singles or band defining songs and sounds.

You say ER is as significant/important as JJF and still call me three times a day a deaf, dumb & numb brainless trog for loving Dirty Work.

JJF is a milestone, ER was an attempt to repeat the success of Miss You. Just another jump on the disco train, musically in no way groundbreaking. If everything they do what they have never done before is as important as their milestones then Might As Well Get Juiced is as important as Gimme Shelter obviously.

One Hit is fantastic compared to Emotional Rescue, the only thing hilarious is Mick Jagger following the footsteps of the Brothers Gibb on Emotional Rescue...

And yet again you don't get it. I never once said ER wasn't what you described. No one doubts that. Even Mick knows it was a silly song. But it was inventive - you hear that bass line, you know it's The Stones. Sure, musically it's not groundbreaking but not much is with the Stones anyway. Your last bit though is way off the charts - obviously, as you said. How you can think such a thing shows your don't dive in the shallow end depth of the Stones' music.

No one knows Might As Well Get Juiced.

No one knows One Hit.

Almost everyone knows Emotional Rescue. Chicks dig it. It's a huge song, regardless of its chart status. That's why it's an important part of the catalogue, unlike those other two "songs" you mentioned.

Date: December 21, 2015 12:29

Now I see what you´ve meant. You are right (once again).

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 16:52

HMS

Don't go soft on us!

Date: December 22, 2015 18:12

HMS

Of course.

Date: December 22, 2015 18:15

Turner68
HMS

Don't go soft on us!

Considering he actually read what was said and seems to have understood it, he's not going or has gone soft - he's admitting that his idea was baseless. That's all. At least, that's the perception.

Of course my 'of course' is funny. But it's true. I'm not in Delusional Land like he is, or is perpetrating to be, anyway.

Date: April 19, 2018 15:53

A review of ER I hadn't read before:

«As tight as Charlie's drum skins, Emotional Rescue showed the fellas putting the screws to their sound in the midst of the Stones' last era of brilliance (1978-81). Watts is on fire throughout the record, whether holding down the beat for the slinky "Dance (Pt. 1)" or letting loose snare firecrackers on the title song or rampaging forward on the shout-along "Where the Boys Go."

Everyone in the band delivers similarly crisp performances, from Jagger's staccato spurting to Keith and Ronnie's wound-up chiming. Just listen to the engine that drives "She's So Cold," Richards's twiddling rhythm guitar, perfectly paired with Woody's glistening twang.

Then, Keef sings about trying to rescue himself from a relationship on the delightfully languid "All About You," which seems to conflate the guitarist's difficult relationships with his criminal partner, Anita Pallenberg, and his partner in crime, Mick Jagger.

A ranking of all of the Stones's albums in «Ultimate Classic Rock» is to be found here: [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: April 20, 2018 11:18

Dance (Pt. 1) 9
Summer Romance 5
Send It to Me 6
Let Me Go 8
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 2
Emotional Rescue 8
She's So Cold 9
All About You 0

Dance (Pt. 2) 7
Claudine 8

Date: April 20, 2018 11:28

ghostryder13
Dance (Pt. 1) 9
Summer Romance 5
Send It to Me 6
Let Me Go 8
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 2
Emotional Rescue 8
She's So Cold 9
All About You 0

Dance (Pt. 2) 7
Claudine 8

Not the blue type, ey? grinning smiley

Date: April 20, 2018 14:41

DandelionPowderman
ghostryder13
Dance (Pt. 1) 9
Summer Romance 5
Send It to Me 6
Let Me Go 8
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 2
Emotional Rescue 8
She's So Cold 9
All About You 0

Dance (Pt. 2) 7
Claudine 8

ER is a weird album because the overall reviews by the fans differ wildly. Take this review e.g. Indian Girl, All About You and Down in the Hole are most likely other people's favorite tracks.

Date: April 20, 2018 14:44

Mine would be

Dance Pt 1 - 5
Summer Romance - 6
Send it to Me - 4
Let me Go - 8
Indian Girl - 6
Where the Boys Go - 6
Down in the Hole - 9
Emotional rescue - 9
Shes So Cold - 8
All About You - 9

Dance pt 2 - 6
Everything's Turning to Gold - 9
Claudine - 10

Date: April 20, 2018 14:49

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
ghostryder13
Dance (Pt. 1) 9
Summer Romance 5
Send It to Me 6
Let Me Go 8
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 2
Emotional Rescue 8
She's So Cold 9
All About You 0

Dance (Pt. 2) 7
Claudine 8

ER is a weird album because the overall reviews by the fans differ wildly. Take this review e.g. Indian Girl, All About You and Down in the Hole are most likely other people's favorite tracks.

Yeah true, but there is a certain feel to those two songs (Down In The Hole and All About You). Not everybody wants to be taken there, if you know what I mean..

I have probably ranked the songs multiple times, also in this thread, but today I feel like this:

Dance (Pt. 1): 8
Summer Romance: 7
Send It To Me: 9
Let Me Go: 6
Indian Girl: 5
Where The Boys Go: 9
Down In The Hole: 10
Emotional Rescue: 9
She's So Cold: 10
All About You: 9

I wholeheartedly agree with what the reviewer said about Charlie and the entire band, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-20 14:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 20, 2018 15:31

Ah, ranking, always fun! I think I already did this, but okay, no harm doing it again.

Dance Pt 1 - 7
Summer Romance - 6
Send it to Me - 5
Let me Go - 6
Indian Girl - 8
Where the Boys Go - 7
Down in the Hole - 9
Emotional rescue - 9
Shes So Cold - 9
All About You - 9

Date: April 20, 2018 15:38

That B-side is killer! grinning smiley

Date: April 20, 2018 15:46

DandelionPowderman

Even more so if only Indian Girl and Where The Boys would have swapped places...

Date: April 20, 2018 15:56

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Even more so if only Indian Girl and Where The Boys would have swapped places...

You just had to throw the torch, didn't you? grinning smiley

Well, it's not as bad as its reputation, hehe.

Date: April 20, 2018 16:19

DandelionPowderman
matxil
DandelionPowderman

You just had to throw the torch, didn't you? grinning smiley

Well, it's not as bad as its reputation, hehe.

Hey, someone had to do it smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 20, 2018 18:54

Let Me Go - 10
Indian Girl - 10
Down in the Hole - 10
Emotional Rescue - 10
She's So Cold - 10
All About You - 10

To me these six songs collectively are superior to any six songs on Goat's Head to Some Girls. Unfortunately the remaining songs are of 'back to zero' caliber. Ok, maybe not that bad but definitely more filler on this album than the preceding ones.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 20, 2018 19:57

Google Drive MeCrazy

Date: April 20, 2018 20:47

schillid
Google Drive MeCrazy

thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 21, 2018 03:12

Dance Pt 1 - 4
Summer Romance - 2
Send it to Me - 2
Let me Go - 6
Indian Girl - 2
Where the Boys Go - 2
Down in the Hole - 1
Emotional rescue - 6
Shes So Cold - 9
All About You - 5

Date: October 12, 2018 17:04

That Summer Romance-version really rocks hard - firing on all cylinders!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home