Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: redowen66 ()
Date: December 14, 2015 20:09

It's odd. I don't consider ER one of their best but for some reason I do listen to it more than some of the 69-72 classic releases, usually on really hot days.

My own remix adds Claudine, Everything is turning to Gold (left off Some Girls so a fair inclusion) and omits Indian Girl and Dance Pt 1 in favour of Dance pt 2.

Track by track:

Dance pt 1 - I remember reading that Keith wrote this an instrumental and that Mick 'turned up with all these reams and reams of words' - typical of their failure to create the necessary chemistry at the time. I think it underachieves - it lacks the spark that made Miss You, on record at least, a winner.

Summer Romance
Great guitar interplay. Its just that we've descended a long way from biting social comment in the 60's to lackadaisical lyrics about affairs with school girls.As a fan of Wyman I have to admit that Ron's bass is excellent on this.

Send it to Me
Forgettable.

Let Me Go
I love what Nick Kent called at the time its "ramble ramble" feel. However its noticeable that Mick duets with himself. Why no Mick/Keef harmonies? I think this is symptomatic of the rivalry that tended to lead to sterile results such as most of the Undercover album.

Indian Girl
And Keith criticises Bowie on the basis that his music is 'all a pose'?? Ha!! Again I quote Nick Kent in the NME at the time: 'Jagger sings draped in a variety of poses'. This lacks conviction, and then some.

Where the Boys Go
See Indian girl above.A camp send up of punk. Mick said in 'Salt of the Earth' that the working class 'don't look real to me'. Obviously not, or he wouldn't write condescending tosh like this.

Emotional Rescue
I was in the States in the summer of 1980 and like Kenny Rogers 'Coward of the County' this song made more sense to me in the bone dry sunshine of the midwest. It ought not to be great but some how it is.I like the groove. We're back to ridiculous posing, with the 'fine Arab charger' though.

She's So Cold
Why are the guitars so sterile? Ariel Swarthy, reviewing the album for Rolling Stone magazine said the album appeared to be deep frozen and this is a case in point. It doesn't ever let rip and the guitars are tentative when they could tear up the place?? Why?

All About You
Pretty tune. Ugly sentiment.

Despite all this I enjoy it when I put to on. A let down after Some Girls I think it fair to say, which is how it was perceived at the time.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: December 14, 2015 20:27

Dance (Pt. 1) - 9,5
Summer Romance - 9
Send It to Me - 9,5
Let Me Go - 8
Indian Girl - 9
Where the Boys Go - 8
Down in the Hole - 6
Emotional Rescue - 10
She's So Cold - 9,5
All About You - 3

I have always had a soft spot for Send it to me - the start is so great, and it's their best reggae-attempt. And MJ is in fantastic voice, and I like the could be the alien-part it's silly, but funny.
I have grown to like Indian girl too - and to dislike Down in the hole (which was a favourite of mine when ER was published).
All about you has always been a track to skip. Unfortunately KR chose this Tom Waits-inspired route for most of the following vocal contributions on RS albums.
The titel-track is a magnificent oddity, was bewildered at first, but have loved it since I heard it the second time.

Posted by: redowen66 ()
Date: December 14, 2015 20:49

i left out Down in the Hole from my earlier post. A great blues, somewhat spoiled by a vocal that swings from Bakersfield to Barking and back again for no discernible reason.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 15, 2015 00:02

redowen66
Dance pt 1 - I remember reading that Keith wrote this an instrumental ...

Ronnie is given writing credit, which implies it was written by Ronnie, or at least he came up w/ the original riff.

Same goes for Everything is Turnin' To Gold

Date: December 15, 2015 00:39

GetYerAngie
Dance (Pt. 1) - 9,5
Summer Romance - 9
Send It to Me - 9,5
Let Me Go - 8
Indian Girl - 9
Where the Boys Go - 8
Down in the Hole - 6
Emotional Rescue - 10
She's So Cold - 9,5
All About You - 3

I have always had a soft spot for Send it to me - the start is so great, and it's their best reggae-attempt. And MJ is in fantastic voice, and I like the could be the alien-part it's silly, but funny.
I have grown to like Indian girl too - and to dislike Down in the hole (which was a favourite of mine when ER was published).
All about you has always been a track to skip. Unfortunately KR chose this Tom Waits-inspired route for most of the following vocal contributions on RS albums.
The titel-track is a magnificent oddity, was bewildered at first, but have loved it since I heard it the second time.

Good review. But I would have given Down In The Hole and All About You 10 and Indian Girl 6 smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 02:13

DandelionPowderman
GetYerAngie
Dance (Pt. 1) - 9,5
Summer Romance - 9
Send It to Me - 9,5
Let Me Go - 8
Indian Girl - 9
Where the Boys Go - 8
Down in the Hole - 6
Emotional Rescue - 10
She's So Cold - 9,5
All About You - 3

Good review. But I would have given Down In The Hole and All About You 10 and Indian Girl 6 smiling smiley

Hmm, Dandelion, I give your review of GetYerAngie's review a 7/10. Good call on All About You (the best track on the album after She's So Cold) but Down in the Hole is thumbs down

Date: December 15, 2015 15:56

Why? Why on earth, why????

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: December 15, 2015 19:58

Liking this thread...Indian Girl must be the Stones Marmite song

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 16, 2015 00:23

redowen66
i left out Down in the Hole from my earlier post. A great blues, somewhat spoiled by a vocal that swings from Bakersfield to Barking and back again for no discernible reason.

Good review 66, personally I prefer Bakersfield to Barking!
Your right about being initially underwhelmed but enjoying it now. Even the poster was like, what's this crap?
The lyrics on the whole thing are a let down, Jagger wasn't trying too hard by this stage. Still, a lot of them are pretty funny and maybe he was bored of the serious stuff.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: December 16, 2015 00:32

Dance (Pt. 1) - 7.5
Summer Romance - 6.5
Send It to Me - 7
Let Me Go - 8
Indian Girl - 7.75
Where the Boys Go - 5
Down in the Hole - 8
Emotional Rescue - 10
She's So Cold - 9,5
All About You - 8

MEZ

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: December 16, 2015 16:51

I do not hold Emotional Rescue in very high regard. If I were rating it on the five star scale, I'd give it two stars. It's not truly dreadful but it is pretty mediocre. Some of my opinion may be influenced by the fact that ER is just not that serious an album by design. Some Girls had been a serious statement that the Stones were still a creative force but two years later, ER was a much less ambitious record. I find some of it pleasant enough listening but there is very little on the record that I consider essential. The title track sounded ridiculous because of Mick's falsetto but the musical track itself is quite interesting. When Mick comes out of the falsetto with the "I was dreaming last night" line, I think it sounds like a great Stones record. I also think the second single She's So Cold is a cut above the rest of the album. Some of the songs I would consider pastiches - Down In The Hole is a blues pastiche, Send It To Me is a reggae pastiche, Where The Boys Go is something of a punk pastiche of the Sham 69 variety and I find it hard to believe the band didn't think some of these were pretty ridiculous - more piss-takes than serious music. As such it is hard for me to recommend the record to anyone other than a Stones freak. Indian Girl is probably the most ridiculous thing on the record and yet it does have the wonderful Nicky Hopkins on it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2015 16:58

redowen66
It's odd. I don't consider ER one of their best but for some reason I do listen to it more than some of the 69-72 classic releases, usually on really hot days.

My own remix adds Claudine, Everything is turning to Gold (left off Some Girls so a fair inclusion)

Even though it was the B-side to Shattered?

Date: December 16, 2015 17:16

The horns make Indian Girl palatable. Nice arrangement.

They've now played more songs from ER live than U:

She's So Cold, Let Me Go, All About You and Emotional Rescue

vs

Undercover Of The Night, Wanna Hold You and She Was Hot.

Date: December 16, 2015 17:18

They used a slight variation of the original logo for what looks like every thing for ER, especially the hype. What the hell made them do that?

Date: December 16, 2015 19:00

In terms of the album itself...

Dance (Pt. 1) 6.5
Summer Romance 10
Send It to Me 5
Let Me Go 7
Indian Girl 4
Where The Boys Go 8
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

If I Was A Dancer 6.5

In regards to their catalogue...

Dance (Pt. 1) 5
Summer Romance 8
Send It to Me 2
Let Me Go 6
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 16, 2015 19:36

I agree with the exception of Let Me Go which deserves at least a ten and Summer Romance which is rated to high.

Wait a minute... Emotional Rescue as significant as JJF, Gimme Shelter, One Hit To The Body, Doom And Gloom, no never. ER has an interesting intro but the song becomes quickly boring and annoying.

Date: December 16, 2015 21:29

The stones weren't even trying on Emotional Rescue. They truly phoned it in with the exception of Ronnie. Its success was very damaging to them as it made them think they didn't even need to try (as compared with the endless blood sweat and tears put into their best albums). It was probably a joke to them how little work they needed to do to produce a hit album. They took it one step further with Tatoo You where they didn't even bother creating new material and it was even more successful.

The Lesson they learned: no point trying to make good songs great, or get a better take, or wake up some genius backup singer to get her to perform on a song; the fans will buy and love whatever slop gets churned out by the stones organization.

Dirty work - now I am told considered such an embarrassment any roadie who mentions the album will be summarily dismissed - is directly a result of the success of emotional rescue and tattoo you. It is as if as fans we were daring the stones to "do their worst". Well, they did and it is called dirty work. If you don't like dirty work but bought emotional rescue then you have only yourself to blame.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-16 21:32 by Turner68.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 17, 2015 11:24

Turner68
[...]

Dirty work - now I am told considered such an embarrassment any roadie who mentions the album will be summarily dismissed [...]

smiling smiley
That's funny, is that really true?

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: December 17, 2015 11:36

Send It To Me is superb. The freshest of them all.

Date: December 17, 2015 11:47

GasLightStreet
In terms of the album itself...

Dance (Pt. 1) 6.5
Summer Romance 10
Send It to Me 5
Let Me Go 7
Indian Girl 4
Where The Boys Go 8
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

If I Was A Dancer 6.5

In regards to their catalogue...

Dance (Pt. 1) 5
Summer Romance 8
Send It to Me 2
Let Me Go 6
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 6
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

Whyy?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 11:50

Tops

Yeah. "fresh" is the key word with Emotional Rescue. They sound very fresh, like a new enthusiastic young band. That's why I love so much this album. And the songs are great, especially the newly found rockabilly sound on SR, LMG, WTBG, SSC. Charlie is phenomenal on those tracks. I love the production, too.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 11:59

Dance (Pt. 1) 8
Summer Romance 10
Send It to Me 9
Let Me Go 10
Indian Girl 8
Where The Boys Go 10
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-17 12:00 by 1962.

Date: December 17, 2015 12:00

Everything except Indian Girl is phenomenal. Even Emotional Rescue (song) has moments of glory. The album is so much better than Some Girls & Tattoo You.

Date: December 17, 2015 12:01

Dance (Pt. 1) 10
Summer Romance 8
Send It to Me 9
Let Me Go 7
Indian Girl 6
Where The Boys Go 9
Down In The Hole 10
Emotional Rescue 9
She's So Cold 10
All About You 10

Date: December 17, 2015 12:03

matxil
Turner68
[...]

Dirty work - now I am told considered such an embarrassment any roadie who mentions the album will be summarily dismissed [...]

smiling smiley

Can´t imagine that. It´s a story by GasLightStreet to bash the album a bit more, I suppose.

Date: December 17, 2015 16:43

matxil
Turner68
[...]

smiling smiley

no, but it's plausible isn't it? ;-)

Date: December 17, 2015 17:24

Dance (Pt. 1) 7
Summer Romance 4
Send It to Me 3
Let Me Go 7
Indian Girl 2
Where The Boys Go 4
Down In The Hole 4
Emotional Rescue 7
She's So Cold 9
All About You 9

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 17, 2015 19:29

Tops

Eh ... always liked it a lot, but wouldn't say superb. I like all other Stones reggae'ish tracks more (yes, including Cherry Oh Baby).

Date: December 19, 2015 04:19

HMS
I agree with the exception of Let Me Go which deserves at least a ten and Summer Romance which is rated to high.

Wait a minute... Emotional Rescue as significant as JJF, Gimme Shelter, One Hit To The Body, Doom And Gloom, no never. ER has an interesting intro but the song becomes quickly boring and annoying.

Yes. If you know the catalogue then you'd understand. Since you don't - and what drugs you are taking makes you think you can include One Hit in regards to songs that have a high ranking in their catalogue is hilarious: it's only worthy as a B-side at best - then you don't. That's your loss, which you seem to be fine with.

Emotional Rescue is as significant as Jumpin' Jack Flash indeed - they were not a band that just sat still and did the same thing over and over and over (that would be later). Emotional Rescue is just as important to the catalogue as Happy, Before They Make Me Run, Shattered, Brown Sugar, Miss You, Start Me Up, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Beast Of Burden and quite a few others that were either band defining singles or band defining songs and sounds.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: December 19, 2015 16:40

Dance (Pt. 1) 9
Summer Romance 9
Send It to Me 9
Let Me Go 9
Indian Girl 7
Where The Boys Go 9
Down In The Hole 9
Emotional Rescue 10
She's So Cold 9
All About You 9

At the time of it's release virtually everyone that I knew in the Hudson Valley/Sullivan County region of New York State loved this album! My freinds and I were in the age bracket of late teens to late 20s at the time. After having to endure the Goats Head Soup, IORR, Black and Blue period which was such a let down compared to the Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile period, this, along with Some Girls and Tatoo You, was like "The Stones are Back again".

Of course, I still hold this album in the utmost of regard, and do no follow the concensus of Emotional Rescue bashing that is so prevalent on this board. If Stones album bashing is desired there are plenty of choices to be had from 1982 to the present, not including the swan song, Steel Wheels.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1183
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home