Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: UNDERCOVER - Revisited
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:18

treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
Other than the fact that I HATE "It Must be Hell" or "Feel on Baby," I totally agree. Most interesting post-TY record.

Well the problem with It Must Be Hell was we already heard the song before, 11 years earlier, so that was a cheap move.

But I like Feel On Baby...not maybe a standout track but just like some of the stuff on Exile that you may not think works on it's own, it fits the mood and tempo of the album. I think the album's better because of that song.

On your rec, I'll give it another shot tmrw, Mr. Fingers. But I'm skeptical ...

DAMN! I feel all kinds of pressure now!

Ok, it DOES fit the mood of the record, certainly will grant you that. But I still don't like it much. And now I know why: the vocals. Not Mick's finest hour. Listened to the 6 1/2 min extended B-side version and liked that a lot more.

Date: September 5, 2015 00:21

I love Mick's vocal on it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:43

LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
treaclefingers
LongBeachArena72
Other than the fact that I HATE "It Must be Hell" or "Feel on Baby," I totally agree. Most interesting post-TY record.

Well the problem with It Must Be Hell was we already heard the song before, 11 years earlier, so that was a cheap move.

But I like Feel On Baby...not maybe a standout track but just like some of the stuff on Exile that you may not think works on it's own, it fits the mood and tempo of the album. I think the album's better because of that song.

On your rec, I'll give it another shot tmrw, Mr. Fingers. But I'm skeptical ...

DAMN! I feel all kinds of pressure now!

Ok, it DOES fit the mood of the record, certainly will grant you that. But I still don't like it much. And now I know why: the vocals. Not Mick's finest hour. Listened to the 6 1/2 min extended B-side version and liked that a lot more.

...ha ha...the one without the vocal! You're being clever!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 5, 2015 00:48

JWSHC creates an atmosphere, Feel On just leaves a stench

Date: September 5, 2015 00:52

Moonshine
JWSHC creates an atmosphere, Feel On just leaves a stench

stay away from the hooch!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 5, 2015 01:52

Last real Stones' album, it was never the same since then.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 5, 2015 04:28

The last great Stones album, I love every bit of it. It´s sexy, dangerous, and uses riffs from the past to great result. I hear JJF, Soul Survivor, HTW and others in there, but it don´t bother me, cause it´s so good. Last great effort. As always, Mathijs and my opinions are the same smiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 04:45 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: September 5, 2015 05:44

I won't say it's one of the greats, but it certainly is good. Pretty daring in my opinion to have a six-minute tune about murders, chainsaw massacres, and a 'rap' by Mick on the same album with 'Wanna Hold You', 'She Was Hot', etc.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 5, 2015 05:58

Fantastic record,last of Micks great lyrics.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: September 5, 2015 06:28

Great album for "true" Rolling Stones fans. Dark, moody and not overly commercial. Album flows really well. Too Much Blood is a lost classic to me and their best video as well. Keith always trashed Undercover of the Night, but also a great uncommercial Stones single (as was Love Is Strong from Voodoo Lounge).

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 07:01

kammpberg
Great album for "true" Rolling Stones fans. Dark, moody and not overly commercial. Album flows really well. Too Much Blood is a lost classic to me and their best video as well. Keith always trashed Undercover of the Night, but also a great uncommercial Stones single (as was Love Is Strong from Voodoo Lounge).

what do you find uncommercial about love is strong? it always struck me as classic stones-by-numbers a'la mixed emotions, she was hot, etc...

undercover of the night was truly an example of the band taking risks - i never liked it and found it gimmicky, but at least they were trying out new ideas.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: September 5, 2015 07:19

I really liked Love Is Strong - but wasn't commercial sounding in that I never thought it had big hit potential. (Mixed Emotions I thought was just lame - one of the weakest tracks on Steel Wheels). Thought Love Is Strong was a strange choice for an opening single, even though I really liked the song.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: September 5, 2015 07:34

Great comments about the lyrics...last Stones album where Mick thought about
lyrics...the albums after that are all littered with clichés...

ABB...sounds like it was recorded...in Micks dining room with Keith & Charlie...basically a guitar and drum album with cliché lyrics.

The lyrics on Undercover are interesting and some of it is of the times...
especially "Undercover" and "Too Much Blood".

Pecman

Date: September 5, 2015 08:15

Pecman
Great comments about the lyrics...last Stones album where Mick thought about
lyrics...the albums after that are all littered with clichés...

ABB...sounds like it was recorded...in Micks dining room with Keith & Charlie...basically a guitar and drum album with cliché lyrics.

The lyrics on Undercover are interesting and some of it is of the times...
especially "Undercover" and "Too Much Blood".

Pecman

thumbs up

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 5, 2015 18:27

Horrible.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 5, 2015 21:43

Great album.........

Loved it when it came out and still play it regularly

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: September 6, 2015 00:41

The last of the great Stones albums.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:01

very good album, but no tour and videos that were banned didnt do it any justice.

glad they played she was hot at the o2 gig in 2007.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:03

buttons67
very good album, but no tour and videos that were banned didnt do it any justice.

glad they played she was hot at the o2 gig in 2007.

The undercover video was played constantly on mtv

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 6, 2015 01:14

they coudnt promote the singles to mainstream audience though, in the way they would have done in the 60,s with paint it black, the last time etc.

the undercover of the night video was eventually banned though.

it was said in the mid 80, that the stones had become an even more grotesque caricature of themselves, i think they needed to reinvent themselves and they did.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 6, 2015 05:52

buttons67
they coudnt promote the singles to mainstream audience though, in the way they would have done in the 60,s with paint it black, the last time etc.

the undercover of the night video was eventually banned though.

it was said in the mid 80, that the stones had become an even more grotesque caricature of themselves, i think they needed to reinvent themselves and they did.

And it was "eventually" edited to the ban was lifted.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 6, 2015 11:46

fantastic album
I love all the songs on Undercover

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: September 6, 2015 20:37

georgelicks

Even more stunning is the fact that the same band, in name only anyway, would release what is known as their worst LP ever and one of the worst LPs in the history of rock'n'roll.

Amazing, innit.

Date: September 6, 2015 20:42

kammpberg
I really liked Love Is Strong - but wasn't commercial sounding in that I never thought it had big hit potential. (Mixed Emotions I thought was just lame - one of the weakest tracks on Steel Wheels). Thought Love Is Strong was a strange choice for an opening single, even though I really liked the song.

UOTN was in your face - on MTV as well as through the speakers. It was a bit trendy, it was a grabby song, big hook, those doo doo doo doo's nailed it. It was a commercially violent song, which is hilarious.

Love Is Strong - great hook of a chorus with the SFTD-eque woo-woo's but otherwise a basic pedestrian Stones song - and not nearly as good as its predecessor, Wicked As It Seems. The single choices from VOODOO were not exactly great and Love Is Strong is an almost barbarian song for a single. Consider the rest of the singles and Love Is Strong makes sense for the trailer.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 6, 2015 21:25

GasLightStreet
georgelicks

Even more stunning is the fact that the same band, in name only anyway, would release what is known as their worst LP ever and one of the worst LPs in the history of rock'n'roll.

Amazing, innit.

Steel Wheels is indeed not a great album and has some lousy songs on it, but "one of the worst LPs in the history of RnR" it isnt.

Undercover, of course, is their second-best post Black & Blue album.

Date: September 6, 2015 22:03

HMS
GasLightStreet
georgelicks

Amazing, innit.

Steel Wheels is indeed not a great album and has some lousy songs on it, but "one of the worst LPs in the history of RnR" it isnt.

Undercover, of course, is their second-best post Black & Blue album.

HMS, what was 3 years after UNDERCOVER? Not STEEL WHEELS.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 6, 2015 23:22

The key with UC: it was their last album with no Mick or Keith solo project around, from then on the Stones were not more a band, on DW the whole band barely played on it and with SW it was the beggining of the nostalgia era, the new music doesn't matter anymore.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 7, 2015 07:57

Always thought that Bill Wyman did some outstanding work on this one. Wasn't Wayne Shorter on the horns?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home