Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 29
Re: OT: NFL 2015 Season
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 11, 2015 23:40

Daaaaaaaaaa...BEARS!!!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:19

3 Overtimes in the early games; wow.

Date: October 12, 2015 04:41

seattle should be 1-4 and pretty much out of the playoffs. saints are pretty much out now

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 12, 2015 13:11

keefriffhard4life
seattle should be 1-4 and pretty much out of the playoffs. saints are pretty much out now

Deja vu from last year. We were in same position about & that turned out well (except for final minute). It ain't over til its over....smoking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 12, 2015 21:04

Go Bills

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: October 13, 2015 05:48

Packers keep winning despite the injuries and the defence is looking pretty mean.

Date: October 13, 2015 07:03

Bell into the end zone as he goes down and time expires. Steelers take it. Gates gets his 100th and 101st TD catches for SD.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2015 17:03

keefriffhard4life

Saints are out of even the idea of possible playoff contention and, with exception to the personnel not changing, the Payton-Brees era is over.

Seahawks should be 1-4. Atlanta... they've yet to play a good team. And it's going to be a while until they do.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 13, 2015 18:14

winter
Bell into the end zone as he goes down and time expires. Steelers take it. Gates gets his 100th and 101st TD catches for SD.

BIG smile on my face at the end of that one! Seems that both coach and player seemed to think they'd have the chance to call timeout and attempt a field goal if bell hadn't scored. Somehow I don't think it would have happened that way. Must admit that I'm glad we're talking about a successful "risky play" as opposed to a clock mismanagement scenario!

Quick question for someone who knows the rules better than I do: Does anyone know why they attempted the extra point after the game winning touchdown? I can see why that would happen at the end of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd quarters but wasn't aware that they would try the kick at the end of regulation unless it was needed for a trailing team to try and tie the score. I'm pretty sure that in overtime the game ends on the touchdown and no kick is tried. Just curious if anyone knows.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 13, 2015 18:21

mr_dja
winter

BIG smile on my face at the end of that one! Seems that both coach and player seemed to think they'd have the chance to call timeout and attempt a field goal if bell hadn't scored. Somehow I don't think it would have happened that way. Must admit that I'm glad we're talking about a successful "risky play" as opposed to a clock mismanagement scenario!

Quick question for someone who knows the rules better than I do: Does anyone know why they attempted the extra point after the game winning touchdown? I can see why that would happen at the end of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd quarters but wasn't aware that they would try the kick at the end of regulation unless it was needed for a trailing team to try and tie the score. I'm pretty sure that in overtime the game ends on the touchdown and no kick is tried. Just curious if anyone knows.

Peace,
Mr DJA

this year if you miss the extra point as in its short and someone in the endzone catches it or blocked the team in defense can recover the ball and run with it. thats my only guess as to why since technically the chargers could have scored again if the kick was blocked/missed and they recovered it and ran in for a TD. not sure why in OT it might be different

as far as the clock mismanagement. 18 seconds were run off for no reason after the chargers kicked the ball to the steelers to start that final drive after the ball was caught. talk about what could have been a costly screw up

Date: October 13, 2015 19:20

keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
winter

Peace,
Mr DJA

this year if you miss the extra point as in its short and someone in the endzone catches it or blocked the team in defense can recover the ball and run with it. thats my only guess as to why since technically the chargers could have scored again if the kick was blocked/missed and they recovered it and ran in for a TD. not sure why in OT it might be different

as far as the clock mismanagement. 18 seconds were run off for no reason after the chargers kicked the ball to the steelers to start that final drive after the ball was caught. talk about what could have been a costly screw up

Thanks keefriffhard4life for the thoughts and also for getting my mind thinking! Turns out you're somewhat correct. I ended up searching and ending up at a Conversion page that I'd guess is pretty accurate. "In the NFL, the conversion is required after a touchdown scored during the regulation game (i.e., not overtime), because point differential is used for some tiebreakers in the standings. Rarely, this can result in such an attempt having to be made at the end of the game when it cannot change the outcome of the game". The site also mentioned that, as of this season, "NFL defenses became able to run back failed conversion attempts for a two-point score."

I find it interesting that, according to the site, "If the game is in sudden death overtime, the extra-point attempt is omitted if the winning score is a touchdown". I guess "sudden death" trumps end of season point differential.

Thanks again for getting my brain pointed in the right direction keefriffhard4life!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 13, 2015 20:28

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
winter

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thanks keefriffhard4life for the thoughts and also for getting my mind thinking! Turns out you're somewhat correct. I ended up searching and ending up at a Conversion page that I'd guess is pretty accurate. "In the NFL, the conversion is required after a touchdown scored during the regulation game (i.e., not overtime), because point differential is used for some tiebreakers in the standings. Rarely, this can result in such an attempt having to be made at the end of the game when it cannot change the outcome of the game". The site also mentioned that, as of this season, "NFL defenses became able to run back failed conversion attempts for a two-point score."

I find it interesting that, according to the site, "If the game is in sudden death overtime, the extra-point attempt is omitted if the winning score is a touchdown". I guess "sudden death" trumps end of season point differential.

Thanks again for getting my brain pointed in the right direction keefriffhard4life!

Peace,
Mr DJA

welcome. i knew there was some new rule in the nfl where you can score on defense after a TD but wasn't sure if it was just the 2 point conversion or extra point or both

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-13 20:36 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: October 13, 2015 20:35

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

Saints are out of even the idea of possible playoff contention and, with exception to the personnel not changing, the Payton-Brees era is over.

Seahawks should be 1-4. Atlanta... they've yet to play a good team. And it's going to be a while until they do.

jets should sign brees for 2 years unless he had health issues. have him mentor bryce petty for 2 years and then in 2 years turn it over to petty.

the brees-payton era was cool for the saints but really outside of brees crazy numbers this is what will mostly be remembered by me.

-5 winning seasons out of 10 seasons together and yes i counted the current season as a losing season
-a superbowl win with a lot of controversial calls in the NFC champ game that got them there
- bountygate
- brees winning just 1 true road playoff game and losing 4 road playoff games including a game to the 7-9 seahawks

its good for a team that was use to failure but now to a lot of people the last 10 seasons pretty much are remember for bountygate and the team not getting it done in true road games in the playoffs

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 13, 2015 22:05

The Saints won a Super Bowl and had a few consecutive winning seasons (rather than many consecutive last place finishes) and that is what the Payton-Brees era will be remembered by.

Date: October 13, 2015 22:23

nightskyman
The Saints won a Super Bowl and had a few consecutive winning seasons (rather than many consecutive last place finishes) and that is what the Payton-Brees era will be remembered by.

so you don't remember bountygate tainting the SB win or the coaching staff getting in trouble over it?

Date: October 13, 2015 23:39

keefriffhard4life
nightskyman

so you don't remember bountygate tainting the SB win or the coaching staff getting in trouble over it?

This fan in Knoxville, TN wouldn't have remembered the bountygate issue until it was brought up in this thread earlier. As far as it "tainting" their SB win, I wouldn't have been able to associate the two as having been connected.

I think a teams fans and their rivals fans hold on to that stuff much longer than "the average fan". Possibly people who are playing "fantasy football" and watching ESPN 24/7 would also know that. I think that much of the hoopla falls by the wayside quickly these days. People may remember THAT it happened but the where's, when's, how's & why's seem to fade quickly when you don't focus on them.

Kind of like now. Although much of the entire USA, not just football fans, could tell you about "Inflategate", ask the average person, or even a fan, what year did "Bountygate" and "Spygate" happen and they're going to struggle to give you details. I know I would on both points.

Another example: I'm a Steelers fan and although I can tell you that Ben Rothlesburger got in trouble having to do with a college girl a few years back, I couldn't tell you any details other than I think he got suspended for a few games. I can tell you that our current (backup) quarterback, Michael Vick got in trouble and was sent to prison for illegal dog fighting, I couldn't give you any details about it.

If I had to guess, legacies matter far more to "fanatics" than "fans".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 14, 2015 00:02

Ben was suspended a few games by the steelers not by the nfl. It was after his second time being accused of rape. Nothing was ever proven, cases were dropped. There was film of ben at least being in the same location said events had taken place so the steelers suspended him for "putting himself into several situations that possibly reflected negatively on the steelers organization" or something like that. Basically they were telling ben to br smarter than that and even if you did nothing wrong stop allowing yourself to get into these situations

Date: October 14, 2015 00:29

keefriffhard4life
Ben was suspended a few games by the steelers not by the nfl. It was after his second time being accused of rape. Nothing was ever proven, cases were dropped. There was film of ben at least being in the same location said events had taken place so the steelers suspended him for "putting himself into several situations that possibly reflected negatively on the steelers organization" or something like that. Basically they were telling ben to br smarter than that and even if you did nothing wrong stop allowing yourself to get into these situations

Yup, no charges were ever even filed in Ben's case, nor did Ben appeal for a shorter suspension than 4 games. He also had some crazy incidents back then like the motorcycle crash where he went flying over the handlebars and didn't have a helmet on. He pretty much had to get, and got, his shit together around that time.

BTW, thanks KR4L and mr_dja for looking up those bits about the new rules on extra points in 2015. Interesting wrinkles that will definitely affect strategy in the closing minutes of a game.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:38

Bengals down 24-7 Sunday and back to win it in OT with a bank shot field goal in the final seconds, wow.

Date: October 14, 2015 01:00

mgguy
Bengals down 24-7 Sunday and back to win it in OT with a bank shot field goal in the final seconds, wow.

That was insane, and happened when the just as unlikely Cleveland Browns(!) took out Baltimore at Baltimore in OT. Big day for Ohioans I guess.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 14, 2015 11:39

winter
mgguy

That was insane, and happened when the just as unlikely Cleveland Browns(!) took out Baltimore at Baltimore in OT. Big day for Ohioans I guess.

I'm still feeling the pain! Hopefully my Hawks get well against Carolina Sunday. I will be there. Am resting up this week, haha.smoking smiley

Date: October 14, 2015 18:31

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

jets should sign brees for 2 years unless he had health issues. have him mentor bryce petty for 2 years and then in 2 years turn it over to petty.

the brees-payton era was cool for the saints but really outside of brees crazy numbers this is what will mostly be remembered by me.

-5 winning seasons out of 10 seasons together and yes i counted the current season as a losing season
-a superbowl win with a lot of controversial calls in the NFC champ game that got them there
- bountygate
- brees winning just 1 true road playoff game and losing 4 road playoff games including a game to the 7-9 seahawks

its good for a team that was use to failure but now to a lot of people the last 10 seasons pretty much are remember for bountygate and the team not getting it done in true road games in the playoffs

Well, for one, bounty"gate" was never proven but people will remember it, good for them - they'll remember something that was never really there.

What I don't get is what the hell is a "true" road playoff game? Is there a "fake" road playoff game? Because you say "true road playoff game" once but then just say "playoff games" about the other road games.

True, losing to the pathetic 7-9 division "winner" Seattle Seahawks in the 2011 playoffs was pretty bad - but the Saints would've lost at home (to anyone) regardless because of how depleted they were.

Brees should go to a team that has a chance to win the Supe. NYJets ain't gonna have a chance to win the Supe. He should go to Denver.

Crazy numbers indeed though. He's become the Wayne Gretzky of the NFL.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: October 14, 2015 21:43

keefriffhard4life
nightskyman

In the context of hurricane devastation, the team was displaced, etc. and that the team won a super bowl for its fans...I don't see that their true fans will care enough about that scandal to remember it (the winning seasons and a championship take the cake). When these fans are older I don't think they're going to put much stock in a scandal totally overblown by media.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-14 21:45 by nightskyman.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: October 14, 2015 22:06

Gutsy call by Tomlin to go for a touchdown with the clock running out when a FG would have tied the game. Especially after some questionable play calling during the Ravens game. I think it was the right call, too. Why risk a loss in overtime, especially when you're playing against Rivers?

Go Steelers!

Date: October 15, 2015 00:28

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

- bountygate

Well, for one, bounty"gate" was never proven but people will remember it, good for them - they'll remember something that was never really there.

What I don't get is what the hell is a "true" road playoff game? Is there a "fake" road playoff game? Because you say "true road playoff game" once but then just say "playoff games" about the other road games.

True, losing to the pathetic 7-9 division "winner" Seattle Seahawks in the 2011 playoffs was pretty bad - but the Saints would've lost at home (to anyone) regardless because of how depleted they were.

Brees should go to a team that has a chance to win the Supe. NYJets ain't gonna have a chance to win the Supe. He should go to Denver.

Crazy numbers indeed though. He's become the Wayne Gretzky of the NFL.

a "true road game" means not a neutral site like say the superbowl they won but when you actually go to another teams stadium and its filled with an opposing teams fans. its something my college basketball team duke gets accused of avoiding as much as possible. playing big time opponents early in the season but always on a neutral site.

as far as bountygate. if the players weren't paid to take out warner and favre good for them because they clearly were trying to do it. i can't remember the numbers from the film reviewed but the nfl listed something like 17 late/questionable hits against warner/favre in those playoffs plus an illegal high/low on favre. there was also footage of some players high fiving eachother after favre appeared to have to be taken out of that game. this wasn't right after the play happened but after favre was down for several seconds and then was escorted off the field. i've never seen players celebrating after someone gets up off the field after appeaering injured

Date: October 15, 2015 03:11

keefriffhard4life
as far as bountygate. if the players weren't paid to take out warner and favre good for them because they clearly were trying to do it. i can't remember the numbers from the film reviewed but the nfl listed something like 17 late/questionable hits against warner/favre in those playoffs plus an illegal high/low on favre. there was also footage of some players high fiving eachother after favre appeared to have to be taken out of that game. this wasn't right after the play happened but after favre was down for several seconds and then was escorted off the field. i've never seen players celebrating after someone gets up off the field after appeaering injured

So... there's footage of players doing things that have been done before - taking out QBs and celebrating. Questionable hits... uh huh. OK. High/low hits... uh huh.

So... that means there was a "bounty". Which was never proven. I could see people continuing to complain if the Saints had, oh, batted a ball out of the endzone to win a playoff game... and on and on.

What some people seem to ignore is the defense was on fire that year. So... that means something was up? HA HA! In that case the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers were CRIMINALS!

What a coach says in the locker room is what a coach says. You think - obviously you do - that players took that hyperbole serious? That's beyond laughable.

The Saints won SB44 with talent and determination. That's it. There's nothing more to it.

Date: October 15, 2015 06:26

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

So... there's footage of players doing things that have been done before - taking out QBs and celebrating. Questionable hits... uh huh. OK. High/low hits... uh huh.

So... that means there was a "bounty". Which was never proven. I could see people continuing to complain if the Saints had, oh, batted a ball out of the endzone to win a playoff game... and on and on.

What some people seem to ignore is the defense was on fire that year. So... that means something was up? HA HA! In that case the 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers were CRIMINALS!

What a coach says in the locker room is what a coach says. You think - obviously you do - that players took that hyperbole serious? That's beyond laughable.

The Saints won SB44 with talent and determination. That's it. There's nothing more to it.

the late hits and high/low are all easily viewed on youtube. as a matter of fact the illegal high/low was never flagged. I don't even want to talk about the 3 straight calls gifted to the saints in OT of the nfc championship game. 2 1st downs not converted and a phantom pass interference

how bad is the damning proof showing guys celebrating after favre appeared to be hurt? the nfl themselves had it removed from youtube. it was not shown live during the game as it was one of several cameras obviously that are always recording. after bountygate came about someone somehow had uploaded it to youtube and the nfl had it pulled. you would think it was in the nfl's best interest to leave something on youtube that could be seen as proof yet even they had it pulled.

finally why are only saints players saying there wasn't one while even former redskins players said the same guy Williams ran the same type of system while he was on the redskins staff. funny how players from other teams said this guy ran bounties while he was their defensive cooradinator but saints players where testifying up and down he never ran a bounty program. I guess Williams did it for years before with other teams and then all of the sudden stopped when he got to the saints?

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: October 15, 2015 18:19

winter
mgguy
Bengals when the just as unlikely Cleveland Brown
I wouldn't link "just as unlikely" with the bengals at the moment-Dalton is firing with some zeroed-in precision.

Date: October 15, 2015 22:01

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

the late hits and high/low are all easily viewed on youtube. as a matter of fact the illegal high/low was never flagged. I don't even want to talk about the 3 straight calls gifted to the saints in OT of the nfc championship game. 2 1st downs not converted and a phantom pass interference

how bad is the damning proof showing guys celebrating after favre appeared to be hurt? the nfl themselves had it removed from youtube. it was not shown live during the game as it was one of several cameras obviously that are always recording. after bountygate came about someone somehow had uploaded it to youtube and the nfl had it pulled. you would think it was in the nfl's best interest to leave something on youtube that could be seen as proof yet even they had it pulled.

finally why are only saints players saying there wasn't one while even former redskins players said the same guy Williams ran the same type of system while he was on the redskins staff. funny how players from other teams said this guy ran bounties while he was their defensive cooradinator but saints players where testifying up and down he never ran a bounty program. I guess Williams did it for years before with other teams and then all of the sudden stopped when he got to the saints?

I dunno. You'd have to ask them. All I know is it was never proven.

The hits... yeah, they were aggressive, weren't they!

Date: October 15, 2015 23:24

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

I dunno. You'd have to ask them. All I know is it was never proven.

The hits... yeah, they were aggressive, weren't they!

thats like saying i'm rich because i robbed a bank and that shows that i'm a go getter. the hits were aggressive because they were illegal. funny drew brees always wants a flag every time he's touched yet had no problem with his defense hitting QBs several seconds after they had thrown a football and were flagged for roughing the passer.

again. watch the film. right here in the link

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home