Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Keith to appear at Toronto International Film Festival, Sept. 17
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 17, 2015 23:42

Local radio station is offering $5000 to anyone who can deliver Keith to the station by 7 pm. And me without my ropes... grinning smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2015 23:44

SomeTorontoGirl
Local radio station is offering $5000 to anyone who can deliver Keith to the station by 7 pm. And me without my ropes... grinning smiley

Fear not, STG - your fab breasts will suffice!

Date: September 17, 2015 23:46

They always do...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 18, 2015 01:34

Keith and Morgan Neville

Keith Richards - Toronto International Film Festival, Sept. 17
Date: September 18, 2015 01:35

Date: September 18, 2015 03:13

Keith Richards Talks ‘Under the Influence’ Before Toronto World Premiere

Courtesy of Netflix

September 17, 2015
Jennie Punter

Toronto gets the first and only big-screen look at Morgan Neville’s documentary “Keith Richards: Under the Influence” at its red-carpet world premiere Thursday, the night before the worldwide release of the film on Netflix, which also coincides with the official release of “Crosseyed Heart” (Republic), the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist’s first solo album in decades.

“I growl at everything,” joked Richards, dressed in gold-hued reptile-print jacket and wearing his trademark headband and sunglasses, at a smokefree media conference held in advance of the screening. “(The documentary) wasn’t planned, I didn’t see the point at that particular time, I was busy making a record.”

The project, originally intended as a short film related to “Crosseyed Heart,” began with Neville taking a pile of blues, jazz and soul albums to Richards’ house and filming the musician talking about important music from his life for a couple of hours.

“Once I got talking to Morgan and he had shot a few things, by then things had taken over, which was the same way with this record,” Richards continued. “Suddenly you realize this thing is bigger than both of you, and you gotta finish it.

“Organic is the word,” he added with a classic Keef grin.

A treasure for Richards fans, “Influence” uses scenes about tracks on the new album as jumping-off points to reveal key moments from the musician’s past — from early record purchases and the Stones’ encounters with blues legends to the making of the 1987 Chuck Berry doc “Hail! Hail! Rock ’n’ Roll” and projects with Jamaican musicians and Tom Waits — while weaving in an array of never-before-seen photos and footage from the archives of family, colleagues and friends.

“The structure of the whole film is an amble, I think of it like a scrapbook,” Neville said. “So you’re talking about music and life, and you feel like you’ve gone somewhere. But of course you need a few witnesses.”

“The man knows a lot about music,” said Richards, a fan of Neville’s Oscar-winning doc “20 Feet From Stardom” (which he erroneously called “12 Steps From Stardom”). Neville also interviewed the guitarist for a 2003 “American Masters” doc on blues legend Muddy Waters.

It all comes down to meeting the right people to play with, Richards says. “I got lucky at the first go, meeting Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts. I realized the chemistry between people playing together makes the music far more important than anything one can do by oneself — so it’s about community and friendship.”

Neville said the experience working with Netflix — “my first time down this road” — has been great. “There’s been a seismic shift in the doc world. People never knew where to find these films, and Netflix has opened up new audience to these films.”

As for “Influence,” what started as a companion to one album may feel to many viewers like a companion to Richards’ bestselling memoir “Life” (2010), co-written with journalist James Fox.

“I have stories, and I tell them, and so I was surprised by the book, by the way James organized it,” Richards said.

Added Neville, “The film and book to me work together, in that they both take the idea of the Keith Richards’ persona and dimensionalize it — there’s a real person who wrote all these songs and played all these songs.”

[www.variety.com]

Date: September 18, 2015 04:14

Wow! Best. Doc. Ever. Too much to process or articulate without a second look tomorrow on Netflix. Brilliant. Wonderful. The Rain Stick made appearance but not the Blade. No Qs from the audience so I was shut out. But...wow! Need a few drinks. ' night IORR!

Date: September 18, 2015 04:16

(Best line of the night - what kind of world will we leave for Keith Richards?)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 18, 2015 04:36

Thanks STG for the quick review. So very glad you got to experience the Doc and Keith together. Enjoy those drinks! smileys with beer

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 18, 2015 04:42

Jealous STG- Netflix for me.

Date: September 18, 2015 06:25

It is a really really good film. Warm, funny, great music and flashbacks, good bits from Tom Waits, very human and touching. Still insists that Muddy was painting the ceiling at Chess though. Run - do not walk - to see it!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 18, 2015 06:26

I keep staring at the Netflix picture of Keith (few posts back) of him in a car, staring out a rainy window. He looks like he is tripping out deep in thought. LOVE this picture, my favorite recent.

Wondering what time Netflix will release the documentary to view tomorrow (18th Friday) here in CA.
Cheers to you STG and all-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 06:27 by 35love.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: September 18, 2015 06:48

so can I watch this at midnight eastern time, 15 mins from now?

Posted by: CanFan ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:18

Had a great time last night seeing Keith at the screening lots of love in that theater!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:58

SomeTorontoGirl
Wow! Best. Doc. Ever. Too much to process or articulate without a second look tomorrow on Netflix. Brilliant. Wonderful. The Rain Stick made appearance but not the Blade. No Qs from the audience so I was shut out. But...wow! Need a few drinks. ' night IORR!

I just finished watching it on Netflix and it was better than what I expected it would be. 10 out of 10.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:51

Here's the press conference for Under The Influence (starts at 7.18 min.):

[www.youtube.com]

N

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 18:29

does he talk about Bill Wyman in the documentary?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 18, 2015 18:49

He doesn't talk much about other Stones and I don't think Bill gets a look in. It's a film about Keith, after all. Those who get annoyed by the usual statements (Muddy Waters, Stu starting the band) will get annoyed again. Which is a pity, because this is a lovely, affectionate portrait of a man's lifetime obsession with music and the joy it brings him, with lots of well-chosen examples and illustrations.

I had a tough decision to make: should I watch Under The Influence first, or listen to Crosseyed Heart (which arrived this morning even though Amazon had told me I had to wait till October). In the end I opted to watch first - and now I'm off to listen. See you later.

Date: September 18, 2015 21:26

Toronto Star: [www.thestar.com]

Posted by: ReginaPhalange ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:21

SomeTorontoGirl, I have no idea why but I feel like you were behind me in line to get into the theatre! Was there a weird lady in a hat standing near you? (PS - I'm not that weird lady!)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:30

Green Lady
I had a tough decision to make: should I watch Under The Influence first, or listen to Crosseyed Heart (which arrived this morning even though Amazon had told me I had to wait till October). In the end I opted to watch first - and now I'm off to listen. See you later.

I hear if you cue the new record to start at the opening credits to the documentary and turn the sound down on the film the results are spectacular, better than either the film or record alone. smoking smiley

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:43

I hope this is not a stupid question as no one asked it before but how can you watch it without having to subscripe to Netflix? Really don't want to.

Date: September 18, 2015 22:45

ReginaPhalange
SomeTorontoGirl, I have no idea why but I feel like you were behind me in line to get into the theatre! Was there a weird lady in a hat standing near you? (PS - I'm not that weird lady!)

Petite lady, white hat? One lady near me reminded me of Debbie Tiger, whom I met in Milwaukee, and I asked the woman if she was Debbie - she wasn't. Was that you??? I started out on the north side of Pearl St near John. A black SUV with a fellow who looked like Keith's bodyguard pulled in but, before it could disgorge our beloved (if, indeed, he was the cargo) they consolidated the line and we moved to the south side of Pearl hard by the Smelly Dumpster, at which point my malingering pal joined me. I was in fetching black, with an off-white scarf sporting Zebras. And fabulous breasts.

Date: September 18, 2015 22:46

Well, the first month on Netflix is free and you can cancel anytime. I'm enjoying my free sample and then I'll decide whether to keep it. Surprisingly easy to set up.

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:50

Green Lady
Well, the first month on Netflix is free and you can cancel anytime. I'm enjoying my free sample and then I'll decide whether to keep it. Surprisingly easy to set up.

Hmm yes, saw that. I probably go with that trial month. Still. will there also in the future not be a way to see it outside Netflix? DVD, BlueRay? probably yt soon.

Posted by: ReginaPhalange ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:52

SomeTorontoGirl
ReginaPhalange

Petite lady, white hat? One lady near me reminded me of Debbie Tiger, whom I met in Milwaukee, and I asked the woman if she was Debbie - she wasn't. Was that you??? I started out on the north side of Pearl St near John. A black SUV with a fellow who looked like Keith's bodyguard pulled in but, before it could disgorge our beloved (if, indeed, he was the cargo) they consolidated the line and we moved to the south side of Pearl hard by the Smelly Dumpster, at which point my malingering pal joined me. I was in fetching black, with an off-white scarf sporting Zebras. And fabulous breasts.

It was you!! Amy, who also posts here, is who you thought was Debbie. I think it was the fabulous breasts that gave you away.

Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:52

SomeTorontoGirl
ReginaPhalange

That was me who you thought reminded you of Debbie! Small world that we were in
line together! The guy who I thought was his bodyguard now that I think of it wasn't his own bodyguard, but another Stones security guy who has done the last few tours. A black SUV came down the street later that WAS his, but I believe he had been dropped off based on the time since our line then started moving.

Date: September 18, 2015 23:00

karimamilena
Green Lady

Hmm yes, saw that. I probably go with that trial month. Still. will there also in the future not be a way to see it outside Netflix? DVD, BlueRay? probably yt soon.

I'm guessing it will show up on BBC4 sooner or later, but how far down the line?

Date: September 18, 2015 23:11

Well, damn! And hello! We need a secret handshake or something... smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:27

bye bye johnny
Keith and Morgan Neville

Almost over night Keith seems to have lost a lot of weight

Does anyone know When Under The Influence was made, he had much more weight on him then around his middle

He looks great right now, has he been in training for a solo tour ??

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home