Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Keith to appear at Toronto International Film Festival, Sept. 17
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 9, 2015 15:19

latebloomer
I can't even be jealous anymore about your fab breasts.

We can imagine how you feel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-10 04:25 by schillid.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 9, 2015 16:21

Ms. Tiger,
Anyway to periscope? Have we started your fund yet for South America?
Bottle o wine sent to your room from IORR?

Congrats ladies have a great time LUCKY you will!

Posted by: MRambler ()
Date: September 9, 2015 19:56

video: [www.youtube.com]

Keith Richards: Under the Influence - Trailer

Can't wait!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 9, 2015 22:26

Nice! Thanks.

Some comments from Keith in this Entertainment Weekly blurb:

Keith Richards goes back in the studio in new trailer for Netflix documentary

by Clark Collis

What’s the secret to making a documentary about Keith Richards? Not letting him realize when you’re shooting. That’s according to the Rolling Stones guitarist himself, the subject of a new film called Keith Richards: Under the Influence (released on Netflix, Sept. 18).

“It’s quite interesting,” says Richards, whose new album, Crosseyed Heart, is also out Sept. 18. “Morgan Neville (Twenty Feet From Stardom) who directed it, is quite incredible. He actually shot it all around me without me being aware that it was happening. I was like, ‘Cool.’ Because I’m working on the road with the Stones. But he had a great way of not interfering. To me, it was as big a surprise as to anybody. But it’s pretty damned good. He’s done a great job. Buddy Guy, and some [other] cats, and a few things are explained. And I’m great!”

Keith Richards: Under the Influence, receives its world premiere at the Toronto Film Festival on Sept. 17.

[www.ew.com]

Date: September 11, 2015 21:14

Press conference for "Keith Richards: Under the Influence" is scheduled for 3PM on September 17.

TIFF Live has aired a couple so far. Hopefully they'll show this one...with Keith in attendance, of course. ; )

Date: September 13, 2015 18:05

'Keith Richards: Under The Influence' : TIFF Review

Oscar-winner Morgan Neville takes a sentimental journey through blues and rock history with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards in this Netflix documentary.

9/12/2015 by Stephen Dalton

In his autumn years, Keith Richards has acquired a monumentally interesting face for the big screen, all sun-scorched cracks and deep crevices, like a cross between a living fossil and a partially embalmed crocodile. Cackling, leering and shamelessly self-mythologizing as he skips back through his half-century in music, the Rolling Stones guitarist makes an engaging interviewee in this Netflix-bound documentary, which premieres in Toronto this week as a promotional launch-pad for his first solo album in 23 years, Crosseyed Heart.

The director is Morgan Neville, who won an Academy Award two years ago with his uplifting documentary about unsung backing singers, 20 Feet From Stardom. Ostensibly a celebration of the blues, soul, reggae and country music which inspired Richards throughout his career, Under The Influence feels like a logical sister film. But it is also a much slighter affair, fawning in tone, unrevealing about its star, and ultimately little more than an extended commercial for his new album. That said, it is an effortless pleasure to watch, with a huge readymade audience among Netflix subscribers. Long-standing Stones fans are also likely to indulge the grizzled old goat one more time, just like we have done for the last three decades or more.

Album recording sessions with drummer and producer Steve Jordan form the meat of the film, which Neville and cinematographer Igor Martinovic paint in warm, luscious tones using a range of vintage lenses. Richards shows off his still-sharp guitar skills, including a surprisingly dexterous digression into flamenco. Longtime friends and collabroators Tom Waits and Buddy Guy make cameo appearances as the guitarist revisits some legendary stops on his musical journey, including Chicago's Chess Records and Nashville's Ryman Auditorium. There are also a few nicely counterintuitive touches, including footage of Richards strolling through lush woodland to a bracing blast of Mozart.

Neville dutifully includes extended cuts from Crosseyed Heart, some agreeably sloppy and soulful, mostly pedestrian blues-rock. But he also smuggles as much Stones material as he can reasonably get away with into the film, including archive footage of the band recording Sympathy for the Devil, touring the Deep South in their swashbuckling prime, and jamming onstage with Muddy Waters.

Richards sportingly recycles some much-told anecdotes from ancient rock folklore, including his historic meeting with Mick Jagger on a train, and being punched by his musical hero Chuck Berry: "I was one of Chuck's greatest hits," he laughs. His longstanding rift with Jagger is briskly dismissed as the natural bickering of brothers who love each other deep down. Obviously.

Under The Influence touches briefly on racial politics and cultural appropriation, with Richards drawing a crucial distinction between rock'n'roll and rock, calling the latter a "white man's version" of the former. The guitarist clearly has an easy rapport with African-American artists, who warmly thank the Stones for reviving interest in R&B among US audiences. Which is sweet, but a little more in-depth unpicking of this prickly subject might have given Neville's film some much-needed bite and weight.

Richards and the Stones are such universally revered cultural institutions nowadays that a serious, heavyweight, critical documentary about them would be a rare pleasure to watch, even for fans like myself. Under The Influence is not that film. But you can't always get what you want.

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

--

Date: September 15, 2015 13:48

Keith Richards Documentary 'Under the Influence' a 'Scrapbook, Not a Novel,' Director Says

By Melinda Newman | September 14, 2015

J. Rose/Netflix

The doc debuts at Toronto film festival Thursday before hitting Netflix on Friday.

Spinning records with Keith Richards is not only an exceedingly pleasant way to spend an afternoon, it's turned out to be the gateway for director Morgan Neville into Keith Richards: Under the Influence, his new documentary on the Rolling Stones guitarist.

The documentary -- which premieres at Toronto International Film Festival on Thursday, the night before its debut on Netflix -- started out as a piece to promote Crosseyed Heart, Richards' first solo album in 23 years, out Friday. But as Neville, who won an Oscar for directing 20 Feet From Stardom, spent more time with Richards, the short film developed into a feature-length documentary that stands separate from the album.

fter hearing the blues, country and reggae influences on Crosseyed Heart, Neville took a giant pile of vinyl records to Richards' house. "We just spent a couple of hours talking about albums, and, as a music geek, it was a pretty amazing experience to have that kind of conversation," Morgan says, before fanboying out a little. "It was just a day I'll never forget. Of the thousands of interviews I've done, it was near the top. It was being able to communicate with someone on a level where you share a passion and all the other stuff between rock star and interviewer or filmmaker goes away."

He kept shooting, meeting Richards during the Rolling Stones' summer tour in Chicago, Nashville and New York (where the movie captures Richards jamming with Crosseyed producer Steve Jordan and director Waddy Wachtel) and making the movie in a much shorter time span than usual. "The film was so much fun to do because in a way we kind of liberated ourselves from a lot of things we normally do," Neville says. He had previously interviewed Richards for Can't Be Satisfied, a 2003 Muddy Waters documentary he and Robert Gordon made, as well as co-produced the 2012 Rolling Stones doc Crossfire Hurricane.

Realizing they were on to something special, RadicalMedia, which produced the film with Morgan's TremoloProductions, approached Netflix with some early footage. The outlet agreed to fund the doc, making Under the Influence its second original music documentary following this spring's What Happened, Miss Simone.

Neville calls the finished film "a scrapbook. … This is essentially what it would be like to hang out with Keith and talk about music and life. It's not a tightly knit story, it's not a novel."

For someone who has lived his life so much in the public eye, Richards remains surprisingly unguarded, Neville says. "It's kind of made him bulletproof because if you don't harbor secrets, then nobody can ever say anything about you," he says. "It's kind of liberating."

Richards' only feedback to Neville upon viewing the finished film? "Don't change anything." "I knew enough about him and [manager] Jane [Rose] to know that they were going to defer to me, and I have to say there was an incredible amount of deference," Neville says, "but to hear that from somebody like [him] is so unusual. I just know from living in the music-doc world and hearing a million stories, too, that people could have a thousand qualms with everything."

Neville hopes the film leaves the viewer with a portrait of where Richards is today. "He's in such a good place right now," the director says. "I think you get a really good sense of who he is and where he's at."

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: CanFan ()
Date: September 15, 2015 15:44

I got my ticket for this event. They say there is going to be a surprise! mmmm Johnny Depp is in Toronto at the same time......

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2015 22:04

They say there is going to be a surprise! mmmm Johnny Depp is in Toronto at the same time......

NO...Some Toronto Girl is gonna rush the stage and bare her breasts...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 15, 2015 22:28

Rockman
They say there is going to be a surprise! mmmm Johnny Depp is in Toronto at the same time......

All members kindly note: never leave an Aussie in charge of a SURPRISE party.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 16, 2015 22:14

KEITH RICHARDS: UNDER THE INFLUENCE Press Conference | TIFF 2015 ;

[m.youtube.com]

Date: September 17, 2015 01:36

Thanks, Lien!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 17, 2015 19:45

SomeTorontoGirl
Rockman

All members kindly note: never leave an Aussie in charge of a SURPRISE party.

Keith would appreciate that, I'm sure. cool smiley

In any case, have a great time this evening, STG! I'm counting on your detailed report!!! YGG!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 17, 2015 20:00

Lien
KEITH RICHARDS: UNDER THE INFLUENCE Press Conference | TIFF 2015 ;

[m.youtube.com]

Thanks a lot, Lien! It will begin in two hours. smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 17, 2015 21:58

It's on!

Date: September 17, 2015 22:01

He's lookin' good!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 17, 2015 22:01

Cristiano Radtke
It's on!

Whoo Hoo.. rules set right away. No off topic questions, only the documentary and film will be allowed. lol.

Date: September 17, 2015 22:23

Keith: "...Twelve Steps From Stardom..."

He's finally found a 12-step program he can embrace! grinning smiley

Some pretty cool questions here. Keith totally dodged the "black lives matter" question. You get the feeling he doesn't really involve himself in current events and cultural issues in America or elsewhere.

Posted by: Rockman ()

....is that water or straight vodka?

ROCKMAN

Date: September 17, 2015 22:25

Guessing water, as he's not knocking it back.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 17, 2015 22:33

Thanks Lien for the link and reminder. Good times we are in right now, enjoy. smileys with beer

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2015 22:36

Naturalust
Some pretty cool questions here. Keith totally dodged the "black lives matter" question.
You get the feeling he doesn't really involve himself in current events and cultural issues in America or elsewhere.

He did a reasonably good job of sidestepping it - his response was so long and roundabout
that she didn't have time to say "but that's not what I asked". I reckon he doesn't feel it's his place
to comment offhand on issues like that, or the right moment for it, and I tend to agree.

Or maybe he simply misunderstood the question. Anyway it was sweet to see him. The film sounds very cool
and I sure hope it comes out soon in some form I can get access to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 13:07 by with sssoul.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 17, 2015 22:37

Wow, I was (still am) very moved watching Keith live- he was so intelligent, wise, funny-
when the female reporter started her question with 'I was so influenced by you in my teens, I delved into all kinds of music because of you (and her voice had emotion)
I got tears. Still do! I didn't care for her final questions, doesn't matter, Keith handled himself so well.
I'm not sure if this got me (and bursts of laughter I had too) because it was live (rare for me) or the interview itself.
Mr. Neville impressed me very much.
Keith is a true treasure.

Date: September 17, 2015 22:39

SomeTorontoGirl
Guessing water, as he's not knocking it back.

It's probably the only time the guy drinks water, at all these appearances. As far as knocking it back, I recall a recent story where some said Keith nurses his drinks pretty slowly while watching others around him get plastered. Of course Keith's drink is probably 3 times stronger than theirs. lol

I thought you might be in the audience STG. Aren't you attending the screening? Have a blast my dear, hope we get to hear your story.

Date: September 17, 2015 22:42

Naturalust
I thought you might be in the audience STG. Aren't you attending the screening? Have a blast my dear, hope we get to hear your story.

Be there with bells on. Which will be annoying for those nearby. Will definitely post something when I get home...

Posted by: laurel ()
Date: September 17, 2015 22:44

Great interview. Thanks for the link. Love him so much! And on a side note, he's still wearing the Do Not X-ray shirt smiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 17, 2015 22:45

35love
Wow, I was (still am) very moved watching Keith live- he was so intelligent, wise, funny-
when the female reporter started her question with 'I was so influenced by you in my teens, I delved into all kinds of music because of you (and her voice had emotion)
I got tears. Still do! I didn't care for her final questions, doesn't matter, Keith handled himself so well.
I'm not sure if this got me (and bursts of laughter I had too) because it was live (rare for me) or the interview itself.
Mr. Neville impressed me very much.
Keith is a true treasure.

thumbs up

Date: September 17, 2015 22:53

with sssoul
Naturalust
Some pretty cool questions here. Keith totally dodged the "black lives matter" question.
You get the feeling he doesn't really involve himself in current events and cultural issues in America or elsewhere.

He did a reasonably good job of sidestepping it - his response was so long and roundabout
that she didn't have time to say "but that's not what I asked". I reckon he doesn't feel it's his place
to comment on issues like that and I tend to agree.

Or maybe he simply misunderstood the question. Anyway it was sweet to see him. The film sounds very cool
and I sure hope it comes out soon in some form I can get access to.

I more got the feeling he misunderstood the question. I was actually hoping he would address it and we would get something new and interesting out of Keith. Yeah, he is a musicman above all else and kind of sticks to that script but that particular issue seems it might have some meaning to him considering what the black musicians of his early days gave to him.

Perhaps he doesn't even know what the issue is in that context and since it was asked so close to the rap music question he just thought it was about young black music.

Where are you with sssoul that you don't have access to Netflix? I can't imagine they will limit the marketing of this film too long. Is there an equivalent to Netflix where you are?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 17, 2015 23:13

Naturalust
Is there an equivalent to Netflix where you are?

Nope. I pine for a DVD release, which can't be too far away, right?
Until then I'll have to watch it by skype with someone who has Netflix :E

Have a brilliant time at the premiere, STG! And remember to let Keith know allllll the right things

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-17 23:15 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home