Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24
Re: ALBUM TALK: Some Girls
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:32

GasLightStreet
SOME GIRLS is their most important album. As much as EXILE is heralded for what it supposedly is, SG is the album that probably means the most to their legacy.

It's not as good as LET IT BLEED or STICKY FINGERS or TATTOO YOU or EOMS or BEGGARS but it's arguable more important than those.

Interesting....

Please elaborate

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:38

stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet
SOME GIRLS is their most important album. As much as EXILE is heralded for what it supposedly is, SG is the album that probably means the most to their legacy.

It's not as good as LET IT BLEED or STICKY FINGERS or TATTOO YOU or EOMS or BEGGARS but it's arguable more important than those.

Interesting....

Please elaborate

Their career wasn't in jeopardy in 1971 as much as it was in 1977. LOVE YOU LIVE and SOME GIRLS were looked at as "the end." The hype around why they recorded so many songs (I never believed that) was the "this is it for the Stones" point of view.

Viewed now, it's just business as usual, but it seems back then it might've been a bit of a dangle. If the Stones ever felt that way is not the point, it seems that, critically, SOME GIRLS "saved" the band.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:44

GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet

Interesting....

Please elaborate

Their career wasn't in jeopardy in 1971 as much as it was in 1977. LOVE YOU LIVE and SOME GIRLS were looked at as "the end." The hype around why they recorded so many songs (I never believed that) was the "this is it for the Stones" point of view.

Viewed now, it's just business as usual, but it seems back then it might've been a bit of a dangle. If the Stones ever felt that way is not the point, it seems that, critically, SOME GIRLS "saved" the band.

well put....thanks!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:55

Stoneage
Sorry Elmo, I mixed it up with Black and Blue...

The ad with the model tied up, legs spread on top of the B & B album. the caption says "I'm Black and Blue from The Rolling Stones, and I love it".

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 23, 2021 21:42

GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet

Interesting....

Please elaborate

It really makes sense GLS. Would you think that 1998/1999 was also such a year, but this time based of the genuin feeling that the band would stop at the end of the 20st Century? (Not me though winking smiley)
In the Netherlands a never ever before sensation happened. Close to half a million (!) tickets were sold to people (not counting the fans off course) who thought this was the last chance to see the Stones live. This may have put the spotlights on the band in such an intense way, that it's impact would make the band an even more popular live band in the decade following. Comparing the band selling 800.000 tickets over ten shows in Europe in 2017 and compare this with half a million in the Netherlands alone over the year 1998/1999.

Date: January 24, 2021 02:47

georgie48
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet

Interesting....

Please elaborate

It really makes sense GLS. Would you think that 1998/1999 was also such a year, but this time based of the genuin feeling that the band would stop at the end of the 20st Century? (Not me though winking smiley)
In the Netherlands a never ever before sensation happened. Close to half a million (!) tickets were sold to people (not counting the fans off course) who thought this was the last chance to see the Stones live. This may have put the spotlights on the band in such an intense way, that it's impact would make the band an even more popular live band in the decade following. Comparing the band selling 800.000 tickets over ten shows in Europe in 2017 and compare this with half a million in the Netherlands alone over the year 1998/1999.

In regard to 1998/99 I never had that thought. You mentioned the ticket sales - did that increase the amount of shows? They played 4 shows at the Arena in Amsterdam - any of those added? Was that just a general feeling? Because as far as I know the Stones never even hinted at such a thing. Was the attendance different in 2017 because they played football stadiums instead of arenas like the did in 1998?

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 24, 2021 13:05

GasLightStreet
georgie48
GasLightStreet
stickyfingers101
GasLightStreet

Interesting....

Please elaborate

In regard to 1998/99 I never had that thought. You mentioned the ticket sales - did that increase the amount of shows? They played 4 shows at the Arena in Amsterdam - any of those added? Was that just a general feeling? Because as far as I know the Stones never even hinted at such a thing. Was the attendance different in 2017 because they played football stadiums instead of arenas like the did in 1998?

Originally the Stones planned to give two concerts in Amsterdam. They were sold out in about 10 minutes. Two more concerts were added and those were also sold out well within an hour. So then a fifth concert was added, also sold out. Amazing. Between 55.000 and 60.000 tickets per show (!). After the original sell out they added around 5000 tickets per show (!) via creative shuffling. The demand was still so huge that they (the promotors) planned another (field) concert in The Hague later in the year .... 70.000 sold out again in no time. Within a year from the first show in Amsterdam another, first ever, field concert was planned in the North of our country (Groningen, currently hosting the Unzipped exhibition, closed due to corona). That one added another 70.000 tickets. And finally (wrong timing, because nearby Cologne (in Germany) had a sold out show with 40% Dutch fans from the South of the country) they added another concert in Landgraaf in the South. That one wasn't sold out, but still sold around 45.000 tickets. Just one year result over 1998/1999. Unpresidented!
cool smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 24, 2021 13:57

Sure, Some Girls was an important album. But I think Tattoo You was just as important. Even though it was a collection of outtakes. It had a huge hit, Start Me Up, and laid the grounds for the 1981/82 tour.
Which was a big success to rest on. Which, unfortunately, they did for seven years after that...

Date: January 24, 2021 17:21

Stoneage
Sure, Some Girls was an important album. But I think Tattoo You was just as important. Even though it was a collection of outtakes. It had a huge hit, Start Me Up, and laid the grounds for the 1981/82 tour.
Which was a big success to rest on. Which, unfortunately, they did for seven years after that...

TATTOO YOU didn't have the weight of fate on it like SOME GIRLS did. TY has a different importance to it: how a dysfunctional band can continue. Personally I find it to be better than SOME GIRLS as an album but nothing close to the importance that SOME GIRLS had for their career. Besides, part of TY, including their last biggest hit single, wouldn't exist if it weren't for SG.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 24, 2021 21:05

Some Girls remains a monster album for me! Still ranks #5!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 24, 2021 21:34

By 1975-76, the Stones were becoming aging rock stars. The critics were calling their music irrelevant. The mid-70's albums didn't truly bring anything spectacular to the table and their performances were rather lazy, sloppy and uninspired. They had to prove themselves to the music world they could still be one of the greatest bands out there and that's exactly what SOME GIRLS accomplished. They sounded re-energized and their music was introduced to a whole new generation of young music listeners. I think the whole punk scene inspired the band in many ways with When the Whip Comes Down, Respectable and Shattered. The 1978 tour was very stripped down and back to basics too. The energy was there again. That's why this album stands as their last great studio effort, only to be countered by an album of outtakes, TATTOO YOU in which their last big hit, Start Me Up, wouldn't even exist had it not been already been written for SG. SOME GIRLS is perfect from start to finish and my favorite Stones album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-24 21:40 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 24, 2021 23:09

GasLightStreet

I tend to disagree as to legacy. There I consider SOME GIRLS to be not more important than what it separately adds to their legacy, but as much as that. That separate addition to their legacy is not greater than mentionned preceding albums and some not mentionned preceding ones though.

What SOME GIRLS contributed to, in my opinion, was the continued existence of the band, that is, the survival of the Rolling Stones. This was by way of renewing the fanbase of the Rolling Stones once again. This time around, however, it was a renewal by acting, maybe for the first time, towards a development in the contemporary scenes of rock and pop music that was somehow past the band's own time. But the Stones were able to expand the boundaries of their musical identity in a communication to various trends outside them.

Date: January 25, 2021 06:14

Witness
GasLightStreet

I tend to disagree as to legacy. There I consider SOME GIRLS to be not more important than what it separately adds to their legacy, but as much as that. That separate addition to their legacy is not greater than mentionned preceding albums and some not mentionned preceding ones though.

What SOME GIRLS contributed to, in my opinion, was the continued existence of the band, that is, the survival of the Rolling Stones. This was by way of renewing the fanbase of the Rolling Stones once again. This time around, however, it was a renewal by acting, maybe for the first time, towards a development in the contemporary scenes of rock and pop music that was somehow past the band's own time. But the Stones were able to expand the boundaries of their musical identity in a communication to various trends outside them.

It did contribute to the continued existence of the band but it has its own asterisk in their discography: with all that had happened with Keith in 1977, the future of the band looked impossible. According to the press, anyway. Chet Flippo's book is perfect reading for that time. Which seemed that the Stones were, indeed, finished.

All of that may've contributed to its success. It certainly could be seen that way: their biggest selling studio LP.

some Girls...Album and track review
Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 09:51

The first stones album i ever heard. I love it front to back I think its great and than some. The stones back to basics with them playing just themselves, no outside help for the most part. Some Girls in my opinion is honest rock n roll, straight forward rock and roll, no frills, no deep thoughts, just very straight away rock and roll all the way through. From miss you to shattered its the stones saying "dont forget about me". I dont think its lame with me saying that cause it really was like that. Mick and keef recording 40 songs plus during those sessions it does happen on accident. keith kicking the H and making his presence know for the first time in six or seven years, he rocked that shit out. Some girls...how do people not respect it? go...............

Re: some Girls...Album and track review
Date: August 1, 2010 10:31

My favourite Stones album! Not a single weak tune. Fantastic production.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 1, 2010 10:32

Terribly overrated. One of my least fav Stones albums, along with turds like Dirty Work and Undercover. Songs like Miss You, Lies, Shattered and Respectable belong to the worst crap that was ever written.

A very very bad album.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 10:37

Not keen on it. Sorry!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 1, 2010 10:48

"A very very bad album."

So what's your favourite?

I for one love the album. Its the one you can always go back to and listen to. Such a turn around after Black and Blue. Its a shame they couldn't have kept the momentum going for the next few albums. Great tour as well.....

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 10:48

Pairing it along with the likes of dirty work and undercover??? are u even remotely serious? terrible. run along chief!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 1, 2010 11:51

Some Girls was not only the first Stones album I ever bought, but also the first album I ever bought. I think I got it the week it came out, if not the actual day. I still have, with its uncensored sleeve.

I've since managed to collect more vinyl pressings and CD variants of it than is healthy, but what the hell?

Some Girls may not be The Stones greatest album, but it is, I think, the last one where they sounded fully engaged as a band. (You can make the case for Tattoo You being their last great album, which it is, but it's really a souped up outtake collection). The others were either Jagger-dominated, or, in the case of Dirty Work, Keith-driven. Of course is really Jagger's album. He wrote the bulk of the songs and defined its overall mission statement, but Keith's contributions - Beast of Burden in particular - are vital.

It's also Exile On Main Street's older, sleazier, wealthier cousin. New York-inspired songs (from the subject matter, attitude and music - well, the four to the floor disco-derived beat of Miss You, specifically) recorded in France, by a band with their backs to the wall. They were battling charges of irrelevance from the punk movement, and drug charges in the shape of Keith potentially facing a long stretch in a Canadian prison.

Posted by: bolexman ()
Date: August 1, 2010 12:14

Good summary Nikolai. I have always really liked the album, it is interesting to hear the influence of living in New York, and like you say, their wealth. In different places on the album they sound like they are making great art, are being honest, mostly mastering the trends of the day, occasionally following trends in a boring and empty exercise.

I love:
When The Whip Comes Down
Just My Imagination
Before They Make Me Run

The rest is really good, just not my taste. I never personally cared for Miss You, Shattered, or Faraway Eyes... although many people rave about those songs. Man what a cool album, so many different styles. Great production. The only dud track is "Lies". I wish they had of replaced that with "Everything Is Turning To Gold".

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 1, 2010 12:33

Love it all. Even "Lies". Sounded fresh, exciting and fun when it came out. Still does. Guitars are crisp and thrashy. I love the three-guitar attack that many of the songs feature. The Stones proved they still had some bullets in their guns after a series of recent records of declining quality. The sound of Bill's bass on this album is another one of its delights. Can't understand all the recent carping here about this record, but oh well...and sorry, kleermaker, sometimes rock & roll should be fun. Like Little Richard, Chuck Berry, and hundreds more. Even a band like The Replacements that covered a lot of serious angst lyrically had an element of mayhem and mirth. Even Bob Dylan was very funny his first few years. Rock & Roll can be smart and fun at the same time, and "Some Girls" is in that great tradition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-01 12:37 by 71Tele.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 1, 2010 12:35

one of the best stones cd,you can never please some of the stones fans with whatever stones do,i don't even know why they are on this site. STONES will rock on
as they always have done.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 1, 2010 13:44

Heh, SOME GIRLS have been discussed quite lenghtly in many other threads lately, so I am kind of out bullets now...grinning smiley Let's just say that it is the BEGGARS BANQUET of the 70's - it saved their career and gave them a new life. Now in retrospect SOME GIRLS has an essential role in their story; it is wonderful how they could re-invent themselves so freshly after all those years. SOME GIRLS is an album that always puts myself in a good mood and just thinking of it brings a smile to my face. A party album. And don't forget the maxi single version of "Miss You"... I guess partly the charm of SOME GIRLS is r-ciclying the simple advice they learned in their Richmond club days: let's put the audience move!

Waiting for the DELUXE treatment.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-08-01 13:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: August 1, 2010 14:04

ablett

So what's your favourite?

Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 1, 2010 14:30

bolexman
Good summary Nikolai. I have always really liked the album, it is interesting to hear the influence of living in New York, and like you say, their wealth. In different places on the album they sound like they are making great art, are being honest, mostly mastering the trends of the day, occasionally following trends in a boring and empty exercise.

I love:
When The Whip Comes Down
Just My Imagination
Before They Make Me Run

The rest is really good, just not my taste. I never personally cared for Miss You, Shattered, or Faraway Eyes... although many people rave about those songs. Man what a cool album, so many different styles. Great production. The only dud track is "Lies". I wish they had of replaced that with "Everything Is Turning To Gold".

I agree with you about Lies. It's throwaway crap. Everything's Turning To Gold is great, and fairly experimental - psychedelic disco, if you will.

Lies is the only song I don't on there. Love the rest.

A deluxe edition - if done properly - will be superb.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 1, 2010 14:30

...Some Girls is epic. Even they thought so...the played nearly 80% of it live every night on tour in 1978.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2010 14:54

I won't spoil all the fun here.

Just some questions to Doxa and Tele.

Doxa, you said: "Let's just say that it [Some Girls] is the BEGGARS BANQUET of the 70's - it saved their career and gave them a new life."

Could/Would you explain that and what "new life" do you exactly mean? And how long did it last? Any opinions on the title of this album?

Tele, you actually said: "SG is smart and fun at the same time". Really? Smart? Smart music?

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 1, 2010 15:02

some girls is in my top ten of stones albums

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 1, 2010 15:03

Woha Bimmelzerbott that is pretty strong stuff comparing SG with Dirty Work and Steel Wheels. No way. Nikolai, great summary. Hats off to Tele and Doxa too. And great analogy with Beggars Banquet! Brilliant comparison. Some Girls is epic and so layered with pure Stones magic that elevates it to Classic. In the top five for sure. One of their best concept albums. The Miss You Maxi single should have been on the studio album...it is their Funk Midnight Rambler. Pure genius. You might as well be a zombie if you can't tap your toes to Some Girls.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home