Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24
Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 30, 2019 16:03

DandelionPowderman

Don't under-estimate the sincerity of Country Honk, Let It Bleed and Monkey Man's lyrics...

They are quite comical.

Date: January 30, 2019 16:05

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Don't under-estimate the sincerity of Country Honk, Let It Bleed and Monkey Man's lyrics...

They are quite comical.

Indeed. A third of the «mature» LIB are comical songs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 16:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Some Girls
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 31, 2019 20:29

I thought about the original question for awhile
‘Is Some Girls the greatest RS album’
got frustrated trying to place an order of excellence on my tops
I tied the ‘big 4’ (no Goats)
but ‘Some Girls’
Yes, ‘Some Girls’ ranks in my tops.
And I do have to have a top 5. I refuse to rank out of that. Except Exile is my go to when I don’t know what to do.
Alright thanks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2019 20:33

35love
I thought about the original question for awhile
‘Is Some Girls the greatest RS album’
got frustrated trying to place an order of excellence on my tops
I tied the ‘big 4’ (no Goats)
but ‘Some Girls’
Yes, ‘Some Girls’ ranks in my tops.
And I do have to have a top 5. I refuse to rank out of that. Except Exile is my go to when I don’t know what to do.
Alright thanks.

I tend to agree with Exile as the go to when you can't think of anything else. A very easy listen.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 2, 2019 17:29

liddas
Truly can't believe the little love Imagination studio version gets here: it is a fantastic track!

I don't even see it as a proper cover. God knows what was on Whitfield/Strong's original papers? Temps (and the Funk Brothers) gave us one version, the stones another one.

Genius move by the Temps to release a ballad as a single (what the stones later did with Angie), genius move by the stones to reinvent a hit soul ballad as a rock anthem.

Love the groove, love Bill reinventing Jamerson great line, Keith the same with Willis' opening licks, Mick "fu@k you" delivery, Charlie's drum crescendo, Ronnie's dynamite finale, the orchestration of bu vocals, the guitar tones, the air.

Should I go on?

C

That change from soul ballad to rock anthem is done by changing the harmonies from minor to major. By this, they changed the mood of the song from I want to hold your hands (again) to I just wanna make love to you (again).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 4, 2019 20:45

liddas
Truly can't believe the little love Imagination studio version gets here: it is a fantastic track!

I don't even see it as a proper cover. God knows what was on Whitfield/Strong's original papers? Temps (and the Funk Brothers) gave us one version, the stones another one.

What do you mean by a proper cover - just that it's not like previous versions of it?

I suppose that's subjective. In the She Was Hot track talk someone posted a link to some hack covering She Was Hot. Musically it's eh, but vocally it's either a joke or they truly suck.

So does that make it an improper cover?

The Temptations version is the original, and produced by the co-author of the song.

Date: February 4, 2019 20:59

I guess "proper" meant on the right side of the quality-scale here smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 4, 2019 21:12

What the Stones did with Imagination was pure magic. Their best cover ever?? Without putting much thought easy top five

Date: February 4, 2019 21:14

DandelionPowderman
I guess "proper" meant on the right side of the quality-scale here smiling smiley

Ha ha ha ha. I can see that! It probably is a jarring difference to the original.

I see quite a few cover versions of it have been done. I'm not apt to listen to them all but I'm going to guess that the Stones version is probably the only one of its kind.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 5, 2019 17:52

GasLightStreet
liddas

What do you mean by a proper cover - just that it's not like previous versions of it?

The Temptations version is the original, and produced by the co-author of the song.

I meant that also the Temps version is an interpretation of someone else's composition.

Of course history says that Imagination was penned for the Temps, but what if the Temps had broke up in the early 70s? The "original" may have been an uptempo Diana Ross hit!

C

Date: February 5, 2019 18:44

liddas
GasLightStreet
liddas

I meant that also the Temps version is an interpretation of someone else's composition.

Of course history says that Imagination was penned for the Temps, but what if the Temps had broke up in the early 70s? The "original" may have been an uptempo Diana Ross hit!

C

Seeing that the producer wrote the song for the Temps to record it, it's not exactly an interpretation. Although technically you could say it's a cover, since they didn't write it, it's the original recording of the song.

It's too bad Diana Ross never covered it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:38

Producer Norman Whitfield …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: January 21, 2021 21:04

Doxa
#MeToo.

I only count here the original studio recordings - so I don't care had they bettered them by playing live (I think the live version of "When The Whip Comes Down" in SUCKING IN THE 70's is clearly better than the studio original. "Imagination" is another one really discovering a new dimension while played live from 1978 to 1982) or played them to death (you all know which song in particular...)

1. Miss You - one of their very best tracks ever, the way the Stones transform their guitar-lead natural groove to a disco beat is simply outstanding. Hooks me everytime I listen to it, especially the long Maxi single version.
2. Beast of Burden - another true, shining Stones classic, right there in the mighty class of "Angie","Wild Horses" and "Ruby Tuesday"; probably the very last time Mick and Keith really contributed together to create something magical. Add there probably nicest recorded piece of 'ancient art of weaving' ever.
3. Respectable - punk-inspired Stones at their best - bare to the bones without a shame or any 'by-the-numbers' feel; most fresh-sounding rocker since EXILE tracks (and ever since).
4. Before They Make Me Run - after "Happy" Keith's best uptempo number ever, a beautifully written song. A clever use of his image, which gives the album some street-credibility to balance Jagger's ironic use of his own public persona in most of the songs in the album.
5. Faraway Eyes - a nice little country&western song, but it is especially Jagger's tongue-in-a-cheek attitude, which makes it memorable for me (who doesn't really appreciate or even stand mainstream C&W).
6. Shattered - an interesting, but not probably that well working attempt to test how slow the Stones can play their natural groove without falling apart.. drags, drags but Jagger with one of his strongest deliveries (and lyrics) saves the song.(This is the oddest piece in the album for me, and I have never really been sure what to think about it.)
7. Some Girls - a basic blues-based number but played with a passion (Charlie!) and Jagger's loureedish half-spoken delivery adds the rest to make it sound unique piece in their catalogue.
8. When The Whip Comes Down - another number the Stones answer to the punk challenge by going to the very 'basics'. The simplicity doesn't work so well as it does in "Respectable" though (but still well).
9. Imagination - a well-oiled, jamming garage band deconstructing a beautiful soul number. Works for me, but I guess one needs to be a helluva hardcore Stones and especially Pathe Marconi era fan to really appreciate the result.
10. Lies - a filler, but a filler fitting nicely to the context. The only number in the album does sound like the Stones both musically and lyrically are trying to copy punk rock, not just being inspired by it. And the result is not that good. For the groove-based The Stones rhythm section the tempo is way too straight-forward and fast, especially Charlie sounds lost. Jagger overdoes his shouting and doesn't sound convincing.

Anyway, judging SOME GIRLS song by song does not really do the album justice. It is the whole attitude, freshness, drive and focus in all over it that makes the album as a whole such a huge and important work. For undertanding the 'punk influence' in SOME GIRLS for that one needs a whole new, looong post of its own...winking smiley
I hadn’t really properly listened to some girls for a long time. I loved everything about it, I don’t think there is a bad track. I haven’t played the bonus disc..yet. But the original album sure lives up to the hype!!
- Doxa

Date: January 21, 2021 21:11

nick1970
Doxa
#MeToo.

I only count here the original studio recordings - so I don't care had they bettered them by playing live (I think the live version of "When The Whip Comes Down" in SUCKING IN THE 70's is clearly better than the studio original. "Imagination" is another one really discovering a new dimension while played live from 1978 to 1982) or played them to death (you all know which song in particular...)

1. Miss You - one of their very best tracks ever, the way the Stones transform their guitar-lead natural groove to a disco beat is simply outstanding. Hooks me everytime I listen to it, especially the long Maxi single version.
2. Beast of Burden - another true, shining Stones classic, right there in the mighty class of "Angie","Wild Horses" and "Ruby Tuesday"; probably the very last time Mick and Keith really contributed together to create something magical. Add there probably nicest recorded piece of 'ancient art of weaving' ever.
3. Respectable - punk-inspired Stones at their best - bare to the bones without a shame or any 'by-the-numbers' feel; most fresh-sounding rocker since EXILE tracks (and ever since).
4. Before They Make Me Run - after "Happy" Keith's best uptempo number ever, a beautifully written song. A clever use of his image, which gives the album some street-credibility to balance Jagger's ironic use of his own public persona in most of the songs in the album.
5. Faraway Eyes - a nice little country&western song, but it is especially Jagger's tongue-in-a-cheek attitude, which makes it memorable for me (who doesn't really appreciate or even stand mainstream C&W).
6. Shattered - an interesting, but not probably that well working attempt to test how slow the Stones can play their natural groove without falling apart.. drags, drags but Jagger with one of his strongest deliveries (and lyrics) saves the song.(This is the oddest piece in the album for me, and I have never really been sure what to think about it.)
7. Some Girls - a basic blues-based number but played with a passion (Charlie!) and Jagger's loureedish half-spoken delivery adds the rest to make it sound unique piece in their catalogue.
8. When The Whip Comes Down - another number the Stones answer to the punk challenge by going to the very 'basics'. The simplicity doesn't work so well as it does in "Respectable" though (but still well).
9. Imagination - a well-oiled, jamming garage band deconstructing a beautiful soul number. Works for me, but I guess one needs to be a helluva hardcore Stones and especially Pathe Marconi era fan to really appreciate the result.
10. Lies - a filler, but a filler fitting nicely to the context. The only number in the album does sound like the Stones both musically and lyrically are trying to copy punk rock, not just being inspired by it. And the result is not that good. For the groove-based The Stones rhythm section the tempo is way too straight-forward and fast, especially Charlie sounds lost. Jagger overdoes his shouting and doesn't sound convincing.

Anyway, judging SOME GIRLS song by song does not really do the album justice. It is the whole attitude, freshness, drive and focus in all over it that makes the album as a whole such a huge and important work. For undertanding the 'punk influence' in SOME GIRLS for that one needs a whole new, looong post of its own...winking smiley
I hadn’t really properly listened to some girls for a long time. I loved everything about it, I don’t think there is a bad track. I haven’t played the bonus disc..yet. But the original album sure lives up to the hype!!
- Doxa
I hadn’t listened to Some Girls properly for a long time.. just played it twice through back to back it is brilliant. In my opinion it is worth the hype.. I haven’t played the bonus disc. I didn’t used to like Miss You... but I get it now.. and I think it’s about the whole attitude on the album. Lies is one that I didn’t know that well, and I enjoyed. Respectable I loved.. plus far away eyes is parody... but a very well played track...
Beast of Burden has always been a favourite..too!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 21, 2021 21:24

"Lies" is weak (IMO).

Otherwise, an outstanding album.

the title-song is a bit....well....."controversial?"

is that the right word?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-01-21 21:24 by stickyfingers101.

Date: January 21, 2021 21:27

Certainly the lyrics might be problematic? in today’s PC world.
Lies seems to be a retort to the punk bands at the time, I think..

Date: January 21, 2021 21:44

Funny I thought Lies was a weak link until I was reciting the lyrics just the other day. It seemed to fit in with 2020-21 and really hit home(sorry Keith). Now I love it. Also was listening to a version of No Spare Parts, Jagger's lyrics were clear. Another great song, possibly better than Far Away Eyes

Date: January 21, 2021 21:46

nick1970
Certainly the lyrics might be problematic? in today’s PC world.
Lies seems to be a retort to the punk bands at the time, I think..

yeah. I think I read that when it came out Mick caught some crap for being "sexist" with "some girls" (though, not "racist")

(Flash forward: I noticed he took out "Black girls just wanna..." when they performed it live at the Beacon and I have no idea when the last time he sung "hear him whip the women" or "just like a black girl should" for Brown Sugar...though, I'll bet somebody on here does)

I assume it is out of maturity, respect and/or realization that it's not gonna go over very well today.....I don't proclaim to know.

I also heard/read that about "Lies" and punk...which is fine and admirable in a way, but it just doesn't work as a Stones song for me.

Basically un-listenable (for me)...

still a 5-star album, though.

Date: January 21, 2021 21:48

Maindefender
Funny I thought Lies was a weak link until I was reciting the lyrics just the other day. It seemed to fit in with 2020-21 and really hit home(sorry Keith). Now I love it. Also was listening to a version of No Spare Parts, Jagger's lyrics were clear. Another great song, possibly better than Far Away Eyes

I'd take No Spare Parts over Lies....

same for Petrol Blues.

...but, they had their reasons.

Date: January 21, 2021 22:43

Yeah Charlie's great on this album. Once again I go back to Lies on Mr. Watts' behalf...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 21, 2021 23:18

Give mr Biden six months - and you cant no longer listen to Some girls. Or Brown Sugar.

Date: January 22, 2021 04:44

Bjorn
Give mr Biden six months - and you cant no longer listen to Some girls. Or Brown Sugar.

You do know it's 2021, right? The Tipper Gore years are gone and the conspiracies of all those up against the wall rednecks with their guns being taken and better flag up and years of beans was all alarmist fake news. Why you gotta be one of them that perpetuates lies? TRUMP LOST - the lies are done with. The Liar Of The United States is gone.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 22, 2021 14:32

Some Girls is hands down one of the best projects of their's ever but... add in Deluxe and well it's WTF?....its amazing....its a record you take with you wherever you go...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 22, 2021 15:24

Does someone know the story, shortly, behind the alternative sleeve to Some Girls (the album)?
Which wasn't pc at all. Was it rejected? Or did it even exist?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 22, 2021 15:33

Bjorn

I wonder how he manages to do that. I mean, when I put my old vinyl copy of SOME GIRLS on, down here in Finland, what are his means to prevent me doing that? Shoot me with nuclear bombs?

I am sure there is some fantastic conspiracy theory to provide an explanation...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:18

Stoneage
Does someone know the story, shortly, behind the alternative sleeve to Some Girls (the album)?
Which wasn't pc at all. Was it rejected? Or did it even exist?

Lucy, Racquel, etc. did not like their pictures on the cover. That's when the cover was changed to "Cover Under Construction". Is that what you speak of?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 22, 2021 16:19

stickyfingers101
Maindefender

I'd take No Spare Parts over Lies....

same for Petrol Blues.

...but, they had their reasons.

Lies is fantastic.

If anything were to be replaced, for me, that is, it would be Imagination and Respectable. Respectable would've been a great B-side.

Date: January 22, 2021 16:23

SOME GIRLS is their most important album. As much as EXILE is heralded for what it supposedly is, SG is the album that probably means the most to their legacy.

It's not as good as LET IT BLEED or STICKY FINGERS or TATTOO YOU or EOMS or BEGGARS but it's arguable more important than those.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 22, 2021 16:24

Sorry Elmo, I mixed it up with Black and Blue...

Date: January 22, 2021 16:27

Doxa
Bjorn

I wonder how he manages to do that. I mean, when I put my old vinyl copy of SOME GIRLS on, down here in Finland, what are his means to prevent me doing that? Shoot me with nuclear bombs?

I am sure there is some fantastic conspiracy theory to provide an explanation...eye rolling smiley

- Doxa

no...no conspiracies....you're safe!

However, last time music-censorship was overtly tried (by Tipper Gore and the PMRC she founded), they slapped "Parental Advisory" stickers on albums that were "explicit" hoping that would slow sales and warn parents of the oh-so-terrible music their kids were listening to...

...I'm pretty sure it was Prince's "Darling Nikki" that sent Gore over the edge...."masturbating in a magazine"....oh my-my!!

(it was even proposed to have "explicit" albums in a separate room of the store (like porno) and brown-bag covers over them)

I'm not joking.

Results were predictable...tell a kid something is "explicit" and "illegal" and "bad for them"...guess what?

sales went through the roof of "explicit" albums

classic.

(incidentally, Jane's Addiction's album "Nothing's Shocking" had its cover banned for being "pornographic".....the band replaced it w/ the First Amendment....I think they are allowed to have the original cover again)

blaming bands & their music for suicides was also part of this era...I think one band even went on trial, if memory serves (which it doesn't always)

to link back to the thread: "Some Girls" would've certainly gotten a Tipper Gore sticker!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1671
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home