Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24
Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2019 19:57

Elmo Lewis
treaclefingers
liddas
Truly can't believe the little love Imagination studio version gets here: it is a fantastic track!

I don't even see it as a proper cover. God knows what was on Whitfield/Strong's original papers? Temps (and the Funk Brothers) gave us one version, the stones another one.

Genius move by the Temps to release a ballad as a single (what the stones later did with Angie), genius move by the stones to reinvent a hit soul ballad as a rock anthem.

Love the groove, love Bill reinventing Jamerson great line, Keith the same with Willis' opening licks, Mick "fu@k you" delivery, Charlie's drum crescendo, Ronnie's dynamite finale, the orchestration of bu vocals, the guitar tones, the air.

Should I go on?

C

The stones have done a lot of fabulous covers...and this is one of them.

Agree 100% thumbs up

Yes it's a doozy - the way they reinvented it sets it far apart.
That said, I do favor the melancholy vibe of the Temps version...everything about it is perfection.

Date: January 28, 2019 19:58

noughties
The Stones became a word of abuse because it was so contrary to said "recording values". Maybe they heard it on the radio.

I remember that "MissYou" became a hit here in Holland. My brother came home with the entire Album. I have listened to it twice. It was a fun album to me. Nothing more, nothing less. Probably generational issues, in hindsight.

Date: January 28, 2019 20:03

noughties
The Stones became a word of abuse because it was so contrary to said "recording values". Maybe they heard it on the radio.

I was joking, since SG is their best-selling album, and ER and TY sold a lot as well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:17

noughties
By 1978, The Stones was no longer an obvious choice like in the Beatles era. Bee Gees, Barbra Streisand (Woman In Love), Dionne Warwick (Heartbreaker) and The Saturnight Fever Soundtrack sweeped the masses. When the influence was as strong as this, The Stones fell in miscredit, despite a song like Miss You. People (the silent majority) turned against them. I was there. I remember.

6 million people turned against the Stones. Huh.

Date: January 28, 2019 20:19

Hairball
Elmo Lewis
treaclefingers
liddas
Truly can't believe the little love Imagination studio version gets here: it is a fantastic track!

I don't even see it as a proper cover. God knows what was on Whitfield/Strong's original papers? Temps (and the Funk Brothers) gave us one version, the stones another one.

Genius move by the Temps to release a ballad as a single (what the stones later did with Angie), genius move by the stones to reinvent a hit soul ballad as a rock anthem.

Love the groove, love Bill reinventing Jamerson great line, Keith the same with Willis' opening licks, Mick "fu@k you" delivery, Charlie's drum crescendo, Ronnie's dynamite finale, the orchestration of bu vocals, the guitar tones, the air.

Should I go on?

C

Agree 100% thumbs up

That said, I do favor the melancholy vibe of the Temps version...everything about it is perfection.

To me it's the weakest track on SOME GIRLS. Live on the 1981-82 tour, the version on both live albums from then, it's killer.

Date: January 28, 2019 20:31

GasLightStreet
Hairball
Elmo Lewis
treaclefingers
liddas

Should I go on?

C

Agree 100% thumbs up

To me it's the weakest track on SOME GIRLS. Live on the 1981-82 tour, the version on both live albums from then, it's killer.

On all three live albums from then smiling smiley

Date: January 28, 2019 20:44

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Hairball
Elmo Lewis
treaclefingers
liddas

Should I go on?

C

Agree 100% thumbs up

On all three live albums from then smiling smiley

Woops. Right! Forgot about Leeds!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 28, 2019 22:25

The album version of Imagination has always been one of my faves. I swear I hear a fiddle being played on it . Is there any confirmation of this ? Live it turned into something else that was great too, esp. in 81 with Ernie Watts. But the original has it's charm and stands on it's own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 22:29 by ryanpow.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 28, 2019 22:27

GasLightStreet
noughties
By 1978, The Stones was no longer an obvious choice like in the Beatles era. Bee Gees, Barbra Streisand (Woman In Love), Dionne Warwick (Heartbreaker) and The Saturnight Fever Soundtrack sweeped the masses. When the influence was as strong as this, The Stones fell in miscredit, despite a song like Miss You. People (the silent majority) turned against them. I was there. I remember.

6 million people turned against the Stones. Huh.

Which prison is he talking about?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 28, 2019 22:41

ryanpow
The album version of Imagination has always been one of my faves. I swear I hear a fiddle being played on it . Is there any confirmation of this ? Live it turned into something else that was great too, esp. in 81 with Ernie Watts. But the original has it's charm and stands on it's own.
Hampton 81

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 29, 2019 00:43

You can't always get what you want equal to Salt of the earth?

It's worth ten Salt of the Earth..

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Mike, I know Let It Bleed is your favourite (and it's one of my faves, too), but let's dig a little deeper into this smiling smiley

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil
Love In Vain vs No Expectations
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth

And Beggars Banquet has 10 songs, whereas Let It Bleed has 9.

There is something freaky and uncontrollable about the overall vibe on Beggars Banquet that we only get glimpses of on Let It Bleed (Gimmie Shelter and Midnight Rambler).

I love Let It Bleed dearly, but I'll have to give Beggars Banquet the nod here.

Just my 0.02...

Just seen this so sorry for tardiness in replying.

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil - Both 10/10
Love In Vain vs No Expectations - Both 10/10
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man - Midnight Rambler 10 SFM 9
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son - You Got The Silver 10 Prodigal 9
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues - Monkey Man 10 Stray Cat Blues 9.5
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth Both 10/10

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:43

noughties

The others you mention are adult contemporary-style AM radio acts, apart from maybe the BeeGees (and they border on AC). SG was played on FM rock stations and "Miss You" on AM.

Posted by: makustone ()
Date: January 29, 2019 02:21

It is the best after EXILE which is the holy bible of the Stones! and then Sticky Fingers and Tattoo You and Black And Blue. Those are the ones I love the most. After all the others obviously taking Dirty Work that never should have published jajaaj (the third world war).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2019 03:30

marianna
noughties

The others you mention are adult contemporary-style AM radio acts, apart from maybe the BeeGees (and they border on AC). SG was played on FM rock stations and "Miss You" on AM.

Miss You was played on FM Rock stations all across Southern California - you couldn't escape it!
Even high school rock bands started playing it at parties, and being in high school at the time I can vouch for that.
The entire album was a major part of the soundtrack for the summer of '78, and personally I can't think of a tune I would leave off of it - it's a great album from start to finish!

Date: January 29, 2019 08:55

vertigojoe

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Mike, I know Let It Bleed is your favourite (and it's one of my faves, too), but let's dig a little deeper into this smiling smiley

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil
Love In Vain vs No Expectations
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth

And Beggars Banquet has 10 songs, whereas Let It Bleed has 9.

There is something freaky and uncontrollable about the overall vibe on Beggars Banquet that we only get glimpses of on Let It Bleed (Gimmie Shelter and Midnight Rambler).

I love Let It Bleed dearly, but I'll have to give Beggars Banquet the nod here.

Just my 0.02...

Just seen this so sorry for tardiness in replying.

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil - Both 10/10
Love In Vain vs No Expectations - Both 10/10
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man - Midnight Rambler 10 SFM 9
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son - You Got The Silver 10 Prodigal 9
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues - Monkey Man 10 Stray Cat Blues 9.5
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth Both 10/10

Why? I'd say they are equally good, too smiling smiley

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 29, 2019 15:31

Sugar Blue was a nice touch.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2019 21:55

DandelionPowderman

I'd say they are equally good, too smiling smiley

I'd say they were equally boring. grinning smiley

Date: January 29, 2019 21:59

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I'd say they are equally good, too smiling smiley

I'd say they were equally boring. grinning smiley

They're both exceptional.

Date: January 29, 2019 22:03

GasLightStreet

Funny.

Date: January 29, 2019 22:11

His Majesty
GasLightStreet

Funny.

Sometimes the truth is funny.

Date: January 29, 2019 22:14

GasLightStreet

Sometimes the truth is funny.

The truth that you like boring music is indeed funny. grinning smiley

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: January 30, 2019 00:25

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St.
are all better albums than Some Girls.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 30, 2019 00:57

So, the case is closed then. No, very few thinks Some Girls is their best album. The people has spoken!

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 30, 2019 04:01

Well i think i'll set up a vote on twitter, so we can tally the results. I think it's a split decision at this stage

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 30, 2019 04:31

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 05:52 by SKILLS.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 30, 2019 12:53

Beggars suffers from youthfullness. Let it bleed is their first adult record. I love it. The greatest rock album ever.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 30, 2019 12:56

Sticky is their most overrated.

Date: January 30, 2019 15:36

vertigojoe

So worth 10 of nothing. grinning smiley

Date: January 30, 2019 15:42

Redhotcarpet
Beggars suffers from youthfullness. Let it bleed is their first adult record. I love it. The greatest rock album ever.

Men in their late 20's pretending to be dangerous is adult? grinning smiley

Date: January 30, 2019 15:56

His Majesty
Redhotcarpet

Men in their late 20's pretending to be dangerous is adult? grinning smiley

Don't under-estimate the sincerity of Country Honk, Let It Bleed and Monkey Man's lyrics...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home