Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Keith Richards New York Times Article
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 1, 2015 03:12

Naturalust
latebloomer
His Majesty
Drowning (possibly being murdered) in your swimming pool is pretty dramatic.

Unfortunately there is no going back from that sort of catalyst. I mean drowning, of course. If there is an after life, there's a whole bunch of people sitting around thinking, why the heck did I do that? Brian has to be one of them.

Damn bloomer, if there is an afterlife I was kinda hoping regret wouldn't be part of it. smoking smiley

Condemned to a constant loop of My Way...grinning smiley. But I better quit, as I'm skirting around a verboten topic here. Carry on, gentlemen.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 1, 2015 22:28

"Mr. Richards" (as they call him in the NY Times) has been saying this repeatedly since the 1970s:

“My favorite dream is to get the Rolling Stones off of a tour and straight into the studio. It’ll probably never happen, but I can hear the band that tight, when it’s really honed and toned and all the screws are in the right place. A lot of the earlier records we made were in between tours. We’d come straight off the road and go straight into the studio, which is why some of those records have so much bounce and hit on them — the energy.”

So why don't they do it?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 23:58

Pietro
"Mr. Richards" (as they call him in the NY Times) has been saying this repeatedly since the 1970s:

“My favorite dream is to get the Rolling Stones off of a tour and straight into the studio. It’ll probably never happen, but I can hear the band that tight, when it’s really honed and toned and all the screws are in the right place. A lot of the earlier records we made were in between tours. We’d come straight off the road and go straight into the studio, which is why some of those records have so much bounce and hit on them — the energy.”

So why don't they do it?

Simple. Because of Mick Jagger.

Posted by: knatalio ()
Date: September 2, 2015 15:16

Best part of the article when Keith says The Rolling Stones are coming to South America early next year.
Thank God for bringing TRS to River Plate Stadium.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 2, 2015 18:13

LongBeachArena72
Pietro

So why don't they do it?

Simple. Because of Mick Jagger.

Simple you need to write new songs on the road which is something nobody really does well. Keef never had the discipline required to pen new songs while on tour. He was more like "hey let's get wasted and stay up till 10 (am)".

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 2, 2015 18:50

dcba
Simple you need to write new songs on the road which is something nobody really does well.
Keef never had the discipline required to pen new songs while on tour.

They wrote miles of new songs on tour in the '60s.
(I understand that you're not thinking about the '60s, but your "never" isn't right.)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 2, 2015 19:23

with sssoul
dcba
Simple you need to write new songs on the road which is something nobody really does well.

(I understand that you're not thinking about the '60s, but your "never" isn't right.)

Keith said he writes whenever the songs find him. I'd bet he gets ideas on the road as well as other places. As far as developing the tunes, it has been written that Keith does use the studio to flesh them out where as Mick tends to come to the studio with more well developed, complete songs.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 3, 2015 01:08

Naturalust
with sssoul
dcba

Keith said he writes whenever the songs find him. I'd bet he gets ideas on the road as well as other places. As far as developing the tunes, it has been written that Keith does use the studio to flesh them out where as Mick tends to come to the studio with more well developed, complete songs.

You mean Mick comes to the studio with more developed complete lesser songs than Keith makes spontaneously in the studio

Also Keith obviously wants to come to the studio and make an album ''With'' Mick
But Mick wants the Stones to make an album of two halves.
Not a good idea, and not very good results so far. IMHO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-03 01:16 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 3, 2015 01:48

tumbled
This pic in the NYT article is by J. Rose/Netflix (from Under the Influence documentary coming on 9/18/15)

this is something the stones basically invented as far as rock and roll is concerned-old and badass.

while everyone else was crying in their beer "we're 40 we have to go home and mow the lawn,we don't want to look silly.it's a young mans game,wha wha wha..

the stones kept kicking ass in stadiums all over the planet.when i look at that picture it tells me-be yourself and own it.don't let other people dictate how you go about your business.

legendary? icon? please,keith and the stones were that 25 years ago-we need to come up with a new word.

Date: September 3, 2015 01:55

keefriffhards
Naturalust
with sssoul
dcba

You mean Mick comes to the studio with more developed complete lesser songs than Keith makes spontaneously in the studio

Also Keith obviously wants to come to the studio and make an album ''With'' Mick

I don't think it's that simple really. Certainly not a case of Mick or Keith coming in with better ideas than the other or Mick wanting to make a record with two halves, imo. It's been said by Don Was I believe that the person who brings the idea/song generally takes more control of the studio development of it where as before both Mick and Keith were more willing to give more of themselves to each others ideas, trust each other more to make important and large changes to each others preconceived notions of what the final outcome should be.

As I've said before I think this is a natural progression as both songwriters become more confident in their own work. I also think they aren't willing to take the huge amount of time necessary to make changes and jam them until it gels. So many factors really, old age, sobriety, songwriting habits, loss of unbridled creativity, less time spent together, lifestyle differences, and basically other interests in life where music and songwriting was what they both lived for at one time.

They deserve to enjoy the fruits of their labors in their golden years and I don't really expect them to continue to produce excellent art anymore. Let them enjoy spending their money and time on other things. But certainly don't blame Mick for the lack of excellent output, I don't think it's fair, You may love Keith's new record and that's great but it was done over several years, with other collaborators and imo wouldn't stand well as a Stones record anyway so not a great comparison.

Perhaps we will get one last blast of true collaboration with superb results from Mick and Keith as a team, I sure hope so, it would be so sweet to see them prove all the skeptics wrong and blow away us fans one again with a true masterpiece. But if not, it's all good, they have done plenty for me already. smoking smiley

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 3, 2015 02:09

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
with sssoul
dcba

I don't think it's that simple really. Certainly not a case of Mick or Keith coming in with better ideas than the other or Mick wanting to make a record with two halves, imo. It's been said by Don Was I believe that the person who brings the idea/song generally takes more control of the studio development of it where as before both Mick and Keith were more willing to give more of themselves to each others ideas, trust each other more to make important and large changes to each others preconceived notions of what the final outcome should be.

As I've said before I think this is a natural progression as both songwriters become more confident in their own work. I also think they aren't willing to take the huge amount of time necessary to make changes and jam them until it gels. So many factors really, old age, sobriety, songwriting habits, loss of unbridled creativity, less time spent together, lifestyle differences, and basically other interests in life where music and songwriting was what they both lived for at one time.

They deserve to enjoy the fruits of their labors in their golden years and I don't really expect them to continue to produce excellent art anymore. Let them enjoy spending their money and time on other things. But certainly don't blame Mick for the lack of excellent output, I don't think it's fair, You may love Keith's new record and that's great but it was done over several years, with other collaborators and imo wouldn't stand well as a Stones record anyway so not a great comparison.

Perhaps we will get one last blast of true collaboration with superb results from Mick and Keith as a team, I sure hope so, it would be so sweet to see them prove all the skeptics wrong and blow away us fans one again with a true masterpiece. But if not, it's all good, they have done plenty for me already. smoking smiley

Well said Naturalust, i really enjoyed that. Your right on the money here. Plus i love your optimism, i also share your view that it is still possible for them to come up with one more masterpiece.
I do however fear that the fact their is no money these days in rock albums, prevents Mick from being motivated into making one. I hope i am wrong.

Re: KEITH RICHARDS New York Times Article
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 3, 2015 04:49

according to uncut the books that are being read now are Just William, Dr Dogbody's Leg and the Devil's Dictionary

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 3, 2015 19:46

Keith Richards calls Metallica and Black Sabbath 'jokes' and says rap is for 'tone-deaf people' | NME.COM

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 20:24

More here. Georgia might be in trouble

daily news article
tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 20:34

desertblues68

daily news article

heh heh :-)

also, for the taylor fans, here is keith on lead guitarists (never names taylor): “Why don't you just shut up and let the f--g thing groove," the legend says. "That’s the problem with most guitar players. They can’t shut up. They’re playing fantastic stuff but if you don’t give it some room, you’re not going to appreciate it. It becomes a ‘me-me’ ego.”

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2015 20:48

desertblues68
More here

daily news article

Nice article! Thanks

Date: September 3, 2015 21:27

Turner68
heh heh :-)

also, for the taylor fans, here is keith on lead guitarists (never names taylor): “Why don't you just shut up and let the f--g thing groove," the legend says. "That’s the problem with most guitar players. They can’t shut up. They’re playing fantastic stuff but if you don’t give it some room, you’re not going to appreciate it. It becomes a ‘me-me’ ego.”

Not only doesn't he name Taylor here, he doesn't even specify lead guitarists. That's what's called projecting. smiling smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 3, 2015 21:50

desertblues68

daily news article

I never get tired reading interviews of this guy. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 3, 2015 22:45

matxil
desertblues68

daily news article

I never get tired reading interviews of this guy. Thanks for posting.
I would love to listen to him talk just for one hour or twosmileys with beer

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 4, 2015 01:22

Koen
Keith Richards calls Metallica and Black Sabbath 'jokes' and says rap is for 'tone-deaf people' | NME.COM

[www.nme.com]

whoa,the ol boy brought the hammer down.that was some no holds barred stuff,i think keith is becoming the donald trump of rock and roll-

-i'll just say what i think and you have the right to go fck yourself,stand right here and wait for the apology,i'll be back in about 200 years to give it to you-

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 4, 2015 05:04

As always Keith is completely right. People will listen to him. but not to me bitching about it that is for sure. its boom boom all around here. BO-ring. and angry and there's something hostile about it. do we need that in this wretched world? is nobody playing instrument anymore? no talent. ? where is the beauty. is it really that hard to be happy? no its pretty easy really. but I guess its more fun to be angry (????) who the @#$%& knows. don't move to wb its incredibly repulsive around here.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 4, 2015 11:28

desertblues68

daily news article

Oh shit. I wish I had not raed this crap... Pathetic old man. Cheap PR trash.

But the record is good...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 11:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 4, 2015 15:17

Doxa -- Thank You!

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 4, 2015 16:35

the guardian makes some silly headlines from the NY Times article, read all about it!

Date: September 4, 2015 17:19

Crosby is chiming in now (in norwegian only): [www.vg.no]

Date: September 4, 2015 18:56

DandelionPowderman

I find it ironic that Keith and Croz have become just the sort of judgmental old guard that they once rebelled against. Give it another 4o years and the hip hop and rap artists of today will be railing against the new music of the day.

But this isn't really news, while the Sabbath and Metallica comment is new and a bit strange, both Croz and Keith and many other artists of their generation have been dissing rap for a long time.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:15

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

I find it ironic that Keith and Croz have become just the sort of judgmental old guard that they once rebelled against. Give it another 4o years and the hip hop and rap artists of today will be railing against the new music of the day.

But this isn't really news, while the Sabbath and Metallica comment is new and a bit strange, both Croz and Keith and many other artists of their generation have been dissing rap for a long time.

it's just a way to get in the papers, like sinatra and presley did with the english invasion. it's a game that everyone plays.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:03

Speaking of David Crosby: He's had more health scares then Keith, yet manages to do solo gigs on top of a schedule with CSN.
Well, they all do of course.
This is Keith's best time to do some gigs...the album release was planned at the beginning of the year, so all the players concerned,could, if asked have kept the diaries free in October /November.
If he can't play guitar, sing, walk, dance and breathe at the same time,well then he has already done his last solo gig.
Which at 71 would be a hell of a shame.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 7, 2015 15:58

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Dang, away for a few days and I miss the Norwegian language lesson. Can you give me a summary in English, Dandy? smiling smiley

As for Keith and the rap comment...meh. It's his opinion and at least he isn't afraid to give it. The term rap is like the term rock and roll, hard to define. It can be a blend of various genres of music, from soul to hip hop, to funk, and so on. Some of it I like, some of it not. But I agree with Keith about the lack of musicality of hard core rap.

Found this on Facebook this morning and it gave me a laugh. Happy Labor Day, everyone! grinning smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 9, 2015 11:22

Why Keith, why. eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home