Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Keith Richards New York Times Article
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 28, 2015 14:50

Rip This
ROPENI
Nothing new here,S O S by Keith.....

...I thought the NY Times article was soft too...I like this new one though....the questions are good and so are some of the answers.

[www.vulture.com]

Thanks for that, vultue. You are right about the answers...some real honesty here that tells us something about what's going on inside Keith the songwriter.

"I groan about my own writing. There are times when I wonder if what I’ve done is any good. So what I do in that situation, and did a lot on the new album, is throw the song out to the other musicians. You watch their eyes and see what the reaction is. And if it’s not good, you break a string on your guitar and say, “Well, forget that one.”

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: August 28, 2015 16:48

thank a lot for sharing !
it's beautifully written.

I just discovered some French words, I never knew they could be used in (American ?) English
" ... a period in the late 1980s that he has called the band’s “World War III.” Mick Jagger, his partner in songwriting and producing, had chosen to make solo albums with younger, au courant collaborators."

la classe winking smiley

Re: KEITH RICHARDS New York Times Article
Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 28, 2015 18:49

duke richardson
Boognish
keefriffhards
We want a more personal interview and let the man flow and talk
I'd love to hear Keith make an appearance on Howard Stern's show. Love him or hate him, Howard's interviews can be quite compelling.

agreed, which is why Keith won't go on that show.

I wonder if he wants to, but Jane Rose keeps talking him out of it.

Keith and Mick both did brief spots with Marc Maron, who is one of the better talkers.

but they were guarded and not much was said..

Maron later recorded an hour with Keith which will go up in September, I think he said.

In the photo used for the NYTimes article by Slimane, does anyone know, is that a
protective pad under the skull ring or an actual part of the ring (or am I seeing things?)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 28, 2015 19:23

Not seeing things, Angee - it does look odd. Maybe Keith had a bandaid on?
Edit: No, it's just the way it's reflecting the light that make it look a bit strange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 18:19 by with sssoul.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 28, 2015 19:24

Howard is so yesterday, tamed by NBC ON AGT. The glimmers would not waste a second on him ,and as far as someone esp. Howard breaking there walls down to get a juicy tid bit of info good luck with that not even the Former King of all Media could get thru that fortress like bunker that resides in there minds and souls .The Glimmers are the consumate pros that have been doing this for a really long time .Good luck trying to squeeze a thing out of them .

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 28, 2015 19:48

To get an in-depth interview, you don't need a guy like Stern who's more interested in being obnoxious and his hearing own voice. My vote goes to Charlie Rose who did a really nice interview with Mick a few years ago: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: August 28, 2015 22:49

This pic in the NYT article is by J. Rose/Netflix (from Under the Influence documentary coming on 9/18/15)

Date: August 29, 2015 00:46

with sssoul
Not seeing things, Angee - it does look odd. Maybe Keith had a bandaid on?

Maybe so, and still wore the ring over it!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 01:09

You will find this report inside the "International New york times" printed issue of Saturday-Sunday, August 29-30.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 29, 2015 17:29

angee
duke richardson
Boognish
keefriffhards
We want a more personal interview and let the man flow and talk
I'd love to hear Keith make an appearance on Howard Stern's show. Love him or hate him, Howard's interviews can be quite compelling.

agreed, which is why Keith won't go on that show.

I wonder if he wants to, but Jane Rose keeps talking him out of it.

Keith and Mick both did brief spots with Marc Maron, who is one of the better talkers.

but they were guarded and not much was said..

Maron later recorded an hour with Keith which will go up in September, I think he said.

In the photo used for the NYTimes article by Slimane, does anyone know, is that a
protective pad under the skull ring or an actual part of the ring (or am I seeing things?)

It's part of the ring.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 29, 2015 17:44

Thanks for the tip about the "Trouble" promo single, the Instrumental version shows it under a new light, didn't check in detail, but it sounds like more than just the album version without the vocals.

TheGreek
Howard is so yesterday, tamed by NBC ON AGT. The glimmers would not waste a second on him ,and as far as someone esp. Howard breaking there walls down to get a juicy tid bit of info good luck with that not even the Former King of all Media could get thru that fortress like bunker that resides in there minds and souls .The Glimmers are the consumate pros that have been doing this for a really long time .Good luck trying to squeeze a thing out of them .

I didn't have a great opinion of Howard Stern but his Don Felder and especially Roger Waters interviews (the end is cut unfortunately on YT) were excellent. Waters said stuff I'd never hear him say before, about his relationship with Gilmour notably (that was a bit guarded) but also how "Wish You Were Here" was written.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 17:45 by gotdablouse.

Date: August 29, 2015 18:17

MrEcho
angee
protective pad under the skull ring
or an actual part of the ring (or am I seeing things?)

It's part of the ring.

Ah yes, it's just the reflections that make it look a bit odd.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 29, 2015 18:22

gotdablouse
Thanks for the tip about the "Trouble" promo single, the Instrumental version shows it under a new light, didn't check in detail, but it sounds like more than just the album version without the vocals.

TheGreek

I didn't have a great opinion of Howard Stern but his Don Felder and especially Roger Waters interviews (the end is cut unfortunately on YT) were excellent. Waters said stuff I'd never hear him say before, about his relationship with Gilmour notably (that was a bit guarded) but also how "Wish You Were Here" was written.

Couldn't stand Howard in his early shock jock days and find him and especially his sidekick Robin really boring and egocentric. If you've ever watched Robin talking to Stern on the show, she answers a question then dives into her papers and computer monitor like she has something much more important to do than be engaged it the discussion. Don't know why that bothers me but it does.

But...I have enjoyed some of the interviews Howard has done. He has a way of getting straight to the questions everybody wants to know but is afraid to ask. Felder and Waters were great examples of that and even Macca to a lesser extent. You know he would try to dig deep with Keith and Mick and get more WWIII out of them plus other stuff besides the usual one liners from Keith and guarded stuff from Mick. Mick would never accept because Howard would probably make him uncomfortable and Keith would never accept because Jane Rose wouldn't allow it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 30, 2015 00:20

So what you are saying (almost) is that Jane Rose has become Keith's Yoko Ono?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 30, 2015 00:50

Will check out his Macca interview, thanks. Did the Waters interview ever appear in full somewhere ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 30, 2015 01:14

jlowe
So what you are saying (almost) is that Jane Rose has become Keith's Yoko Ono?

No I don't see the connection there. Jane does seem to be very protective of Keith though, as well she should be. And I doubt Jane has aspirations of being a musical artist but who knows? We hear precious little from her besides the Life quotes and a couple very short appearances in documentaries mostly talking about her role in getting Keith off heroin. She strikes me as a fairly aggressive Long Island type and I think Keith refers to her affectionately as 'the bulldog". Here is a good piece by Gil Markle on her from the Longview Farm diaries:

[www.studiowner.com]

gotdablouse
Will check out his Macca interview, thanks. Did the Waters interview ever appear in full somewhere ?

I don't think I've ever seen it if it has. The one I've seen does seem to end rather abruptly.

Date: August 30, 2015 18:07

MrEcho and with sssoul, thanks--

I have the large hard copy, 1/2 page shot of Keith in front of me now and I guess it is part of the ring and the way the light is hitting it. I'd like to see the ring off his hand to have a better look. :-)

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: August 30, 2015 18:18

angee
I'd like to see the ring off his hand to have a better look.

In case some different angles help:

- 1990 by MikioAriga

- 1992 by David LaChapelle

- 1995 (I think!) by Claude Gassian

... or have a look at Courts & Hackett's site - they made Keith's ring: [www.courtsandhackett.com]
If you click on "new ring" you can study one that's very similar to Keith's.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-30 18:51 by with sssoul.

Date: August 30, 2015 23:16

Okay, thanks.
Yeah, I know the ring itself pretty well, had seen the history and the site you posted, just talking about what's going on in the photo there that I don't understand.

I should have probably said something else such as I'd like to see him take the ring off and
look at the finger and the ring separately in different lighting. Okay, enough on all that from me.

I do very much like the photo, in any case.

ETA: I see in the second photo, that's his skin sticking out there under the ring, more like
the photo in question :-)

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 17:15 by angee.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 31, 2015 11:33

Librarian
Alwaqys the same interview really, Keith is very good at maintaining his privacy. Very different from Charone's book. I'd love more Keithisms, nothing personal per se just shoot the shit stuff. Since he has expressed a desire to be a librarian- how about an annotated bibliography of his favorite books or even better research by him on whatever, I can't help but think a history of whatever by him would be great. I like margnalia, I think that would be a good topic for him....

nightskyman
Hey, I'm a librarian too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

So am I smiling smiley

There was this article and thread, a while back, btw.

Great idea! Although I'm thinking talking about his favorite books might actually be too personal. Keith's an introvert. He generally does his interviews in extrovert-persona modality, and I may be mistaken, but that may not be a mindset that lends itself readily to tapping into the part of himself that dives deeply into books.

Although he's interested in history, is thoughtful, and brilliant, I've never gotten the impression he's a researcher, per se.

But maybe I'll approach someone about doing a piece on Keith's reading habits...

- swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-31 12:06 by swiss.

Date: August 31, 2015 16:24

He broke his ribs the last time he did research, swiss winking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 31, 2015 21:31

well hopefully he won't try to climb ladders or trees anymore..

cool smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 31, 2015 22:47

DandelionPowderman

Didn't Charlie do something similar? It might have been in his wine cellar though.

Date: September 1, 2015 02:04

jlowe
DandelionPowderman

Didn't Charlie do something similar? It might have been in his wine cellar though.

Maybe. I'm not sure if they had to postpone the tour then, though...

Date: September 1, 2015 02:34

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
DandelionPowderman

Maybe. I'm not sure if they had to postpone the tour then, though...

Charlie's story was the event that persuaded him to get sober and apparently happened a couple years before the Steel Wheels tour. Not sure if he ever spoke about any injury, just his extreme embarrassment.

Reminds me a bit of Clapton's story of falling while fishing and his embarrassment being the catalyst to his sobriety. Must be something with those Englishmen, the American rock bottom's I've witnessed were a bit more dramatic. lol.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 1, 2015 02:36

Drowning (possibly being murdered) in your swimming pool is pretty dramatic.

Date: September 1, 2015 02:51

His Majesty

Indeed it was! Not sure how far Brian would have fallen into the drink and drugs had he survived. You get the feeling he would have had an overdose or possibly been the first of that group of young rock stars to embrace sobriety in a big way. He always was a few lengths ahead of the pack.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 1, 2015 02:57

His Majesty

Unfortunately there is no going back from that sort of catalyst. I mean drowning, of course. If there is an after life, there's a whole bunch of people sitting around thinking, why the heck did I do that? Brian has to be one of them.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 1, 2015 03:00

Naturalust
His Majesty

Indeed it was! Not sure how far Brian would have fallen into the drink and drugs had he survived. You get the feeling he would have had an overdose or possibly been the first of that group of young rock stars to embrace sobriety in a big way. He always was a few lengths ahead of the pack.

Yeah, ahead of the pack, that's why he died. hot smiley

Doomed, just a matter of time I think.

Date: September 1, 2015 03:05

latebloomer
His Majesty

Unfortunately there is no going back from that sort of catalyst. I mean drowning, of course. If there is an after life, there's a whole bunch of people sitting around thinking, why the heck did I do that? Brian has to be one of them.

Damn bloomer, if there is an afterlife I was kinda hoping regret wouldn't be part of it. smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home