Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: KEITH RICHARDS New York Times Article
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:29

Turner68
LongBeachArena72
Nice dig at Sir Michael in the last sentence here:

“The record’s been finished for about a year, but then the Stones go back into work. Oh, right,” Mr. Richards said. “We’ve been holding it back and finding the right space to put it out. But the Stones won’t be working again until next year. So I do have this space to do something on my own without anybody getting their feathers ruffled.”

Indeed, I saw that too. This to me fits my hypothesis that at a certain point in the last 20 years Keith just kind of mentally checked out of thinking about the Rolling Stones as a band where he could do creative fun things, and it became more of a (very very profitable) family obligation more than anything else. He found movies, writing books, and thankfully making this record to keep himself occupied.

I think you're right. The only thing that doesn't totally square with that perspective is his "love to get the boys back in the studio" line ... but he's been saying that for so long, maybe it's just force of habit!

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:31

with sssoul
Dig the brilliant choice of photo to illustrate the Glimmer Twins -
what eloquent expressions they both have! :E

- Honolulu January 21st or 22nd 1973 by Robert Knight

I love the Rolling Stones

in today's life imitates art category:

it's the tongue logo come alive!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:53

mnewman505
Boognish
keefriffhards
We want a more personal interview and let the man flow and talk
I'd love to hear Keith make an appearance on Howard Stern's show. Love him or hate him, Howard's interviews can be quite compelling.
Howard would work hard to break their walls down, which i'm sure is why Keith or Mick have never agreed to be on.

It would probably be an exercise in frustration. I think Mick, or Keith could toss off glib answers and Howard would eventually get nowhere. What I'd like to hear are the interviews with the band members that were left over from Crossfire Hurricane.

Re: Keith Richards New York Times Article
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:58

“I never play the same thing twice,” he said.
“I can’t remember what I played before anyway.”

That´s the whole secret of this band. It´s the same with
Ronnie, Charlie and Mick. Maybe Wyman was the one who could
play the same thing twice.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 27, 2015 19:45

35love
Librarian, we vote you to do the next Keith interview. He likes libraries...
Me too. Oh the quiet solitude, must be heaven, says me with loud kids.

Hey, I'm a librarian too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 27, 2015 20:05

TooTough

I've heard Ronnie play the same rhythms and fills for decades. I would also argue that Charlie doesn't mix things up too often. His solid foundation of playing the same thing is somewhat necessary to ground the other guys.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 27, 2015 20:25

One of the better interview/profiles of KR.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 27, 2015 20:27

Naturalust
TooTough

I've heard Ronnie play the same rhythms and fills for decades. I would also argue that Charlie doesn't mix things up too often. His solid foundation of playing the same thing is somewhat necessary to ground the other guys.
The Stones have been on auto pilot for a very long time now.
They're not a jam band. They don't improvise. There's no exciting "let's see where they go with this" feeling in the audience. Except with Midnight Rambler, I guess. But even then, it's a fairly straight forward performance, no real long improvisations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 20:29 by Boognish.

Date: August 27, 2015 20:37

Boognish
Naturalust
TooTough

They're not a jam band. They don't improvise. There's no exciting "let's see where they go with this" feeling in the audience.

LOL. Of course you are right. Keith talks about adding a note or two here and there but it's hardly an exercise in improvisation. They stay very close to the framework of the songs and their rehearsed parts and I sometimes get the feeling their lack of musicianship contributes more to to variation in performances that a conscious effort to mix things up. They are very conservative in that respect.

Mick Taylor added a bit of the exciting "lets see where we can go with this" feel during his guest slots a couple tours ago. The closest we'll ever see the modern Stones to taking musical chances.

Date: August 27, 2015 20:42

Naturalust
Boognish
Naturalust
TooTough

They're not a jam band. They don't improvise. There's no exciting "let's see where they go with this" feeling in the audience.

LOL. Of course you are right. Keith talks about adding a note or two here and there but it's hardly an exercise in improvisation. They stay very close to the framework of the songs and their rehearsed parts and I sometimes get the feeling their lack of musicianship contributes more to to variation in performances that a conscious effort to mix things up. They are very conservative in that respect.

Mick Taylor added a bit of the exciting "lets see where we can go with this" feel during his guest slots a couple tours ago. The closest we'll ever see the modern Stones to taking musical chances.

That's pretty funny, NL ... and most likely accurate!

Date: August 27, 2015 20:47

Apart from HTW and GS Keith always improvises when playing solo, even today. Ronnie started playing fixed motifs increasingly in 1989.

Date: August 27, 2015 20:51

DandelionPowderman
Apart from HTW and GS Keith always improvises when playing solo, even today. Ronnie started playing fixed motifs increasingly in 1989.

Is that so? Are you saying he lengthens or shortens his solos (explores as the spirit moves him) or simply alters his playing within the proscribed number of bars?

Date: August 27, 2015 21:25

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Is that so? Are you saying he lengthens or shortens his solos (explores as the spirit moves him) or simply alters his playing within the proscribed number of bars?

I don't think improvising is quite what I'd use to describe Keith solos. Yeah, he's winging it but he sticks pretty close the original licks and feel and he definitely seems to stay within the time allotted for his excursions. I would be shocked and delighted to see them nod to Keith to keep going during one of his solos, not gonna happen. Lately he seems like he is so delighted to be through with them that he scrambles back to his safe and sound stage left rhythm guitar duties with a 'glad I got through that" look on his face. lol

Of course solo's are not Keith's forte as he himself has admitted.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:41

They improvise for sure, but we and they know that the intent is to stick to the basic arrangements that define the songs. They never set off with the intent to use a players soloing as something for the band to follow and react to outside of the basic arrangements.

I'd also add that there isn't mindful improvisation, ie there isn't any attempt to make statements or create stories with the soloing, it's all just in the moment, ad hoc, winging it based on a limited vocabulary of licks.

Taylor was an exception to this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 21:51 by His Majesty.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:57

If you don't leave room for lengthy solos, the improvising will be limited no matter how big your vocabulary is.

But there is no doubt about Keith improvising - within his style and abilities, of course. Ronnie less so these days. The funny thing is that people here seem to like that better than, say, his total improvisational style of 1978.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:03

DandelionPowderman
If you don't leave room for lengthy solos, the improvising will be limited no matter how big your vocabulary is.

That's time limitation.

The vocabulary is limited due to the players and partly because they have no interest in expanding the universe through soloing. If they did, they'd seek to widen their vocabulary.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:04

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

That's time limitation.

The vocabulary is limited due to the players and partly because they have no interest in expanding the universe through soloing. If they did, they'd seek to widen their vocabulary.

It's still limiting.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 27, 2015 22:27

Wow Naturalust, couldn't disagree more w/ you finding Keith 'just wants to get his solo parts over, rushes back to his corner, looking relieved'
Don't think he'd be onstage playing if he really felt that way, certainly doesn't need the money.
I am obviously not a musician but part of the excitement (for me) of Zip was their attitude of having fun, yeah man we're old, it's all live, things can go off the rails, but we been doing this since the dawn of time and we'll find away to pull it back. And they always frickin' did. Cause they are the best.
I read on IORR someone described it: the train veers off the track/ comes up one side, slams back down.
Keith's on the ride for sure.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:52

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

That's time limitation.

It's still limiting.

With the stones, we get the same basic 8 licks or so in differeing orders in all solos at every gig. They can't do anything more, that's the true limitation.

Date: August 27, 2015 22:58

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

That's time limitation.

It's still limiting.

With the stones, we get the same basic 8 licks or so in differeing orders in all solos at every gig. They can't do anything more, that's the true limitation.

More like don't bother doing anything more. Both Ronnie and Keith do more in other contexts. But it is the Stones (with their limitations) we're talking about here.

Less room, less impro, even for them.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:00

35love
Wow Naturalust, couldn't disagree more w/ you finding Keith 'just wants to get his solo parts over, rushes back to his corner, looking relieved'
Don't think he'd be onstage playing if he really felt that way, certainly doesn't need the money.
I am obviously not a musician but part of the excitement (for me) of Zip was their attitude of having fun, yeah man we're old, it's all live, things can go off the rails, but we been doing this since the dawn of time and we'll find away to pull it back. And they always frickin' did. Cause they are the best.
I read on IORR someone described it: the train veers off the track/ comes up one side, slams back down.
Keith's on the ride for sure.

I so agree with this post 35love

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 27, 2015 23:06

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

I don't think improvising is quite what I'd use to describe Keith solos. Yeah, he's winging it but he sticks pretty close the original licks and feel and he definitely seems to stay within the time allotted for his excursions. I would be shocked and delighted to see them nod to Keith to keep going during one of his solos, not gonna happen. Lately he seems like he is so delighted to be through with them that he scrambles back to his safe and sound stage left rhythm guitar duties with a 'glad I got through that" look on his face. lol

Of course solo's are not Keith's forte as he himself has admitted.

You are convincing me more and more with every post NL that you despise KR
Its getting worse and its worrying that you cant even see you are doing it
Just because you end your insulting posts with a winking smiley face does not make it go unnoticed

Date: August 27, 2015 23:13

DandelionPowderman
Both Ronnie and Keith do more in other contexts.

Not really.

Date: August 27, 2015 23:47

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
Both Ronnie and Keith do more in other contexts.

Not really.

It's a long way from the fixed GS licks Keith does live nowadays and the brazilian guitar licks (and scales) he did on his new solo album.

Also some fresh new licks from Ronnie on his I Feel Like Playing-album. They might have forgotten all about it, though smiling smiley

Date: August 28, 2015 00:05

Brazilian scales. lol.

Date: August 28, 2015 00:07

His Majesty
Brazilian scales. lol.

He he, I meant Brazilian guitar and different scale smiling smiley

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 28, 2015 00:25

Nothing new here,S O S by Keith.....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: August 28, 2015 01:39

Does anybody know which designer made the snakeskin jacket that Keith is wearing in the Trouble video and the New York Times photos?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 28, 2015 03:20

ROPENI
Nothing new here,S O S by Keith.....

...I thought the NY Times article was soft too...I like this new one though....the questions are good and so are some of the answers.

[www.vulture.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 28, 2015 13:56

Boognish
Naturalust
TooTough

They're not a jam band. They don't improvise. There's no exciting "let's see where they go with this" feeling in the audience. Except with Midnight Rambler, I guess. But even then, it's a fairly straight forward performance, no real long improvisations.

The Stones never play a song the same. Maybe they try (what you describe),
but unlike any other band - they can´t. That´s why I like them so much.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1848
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home