Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: VINYL DEATH MATCH ® – IORR vs. EOMS
Date: August 25, 2015 15:35

Not only riffs... winking smiley

And the Small Faces lifted this one, too, but recorded it three years prior to Led Zep grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 15:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 25, 2015 16:11

everwest1
Naturalust
everwest1
Naturalust
everwest1
Jimmy Page could not be reached for a comment as he been very busy listening to old unknown musical pieces for his future musical "inspirations".

Pretty sure he's still listening to old Zeppelin recordings. Jimmy has been his own greatest musical inspiration since 1975 or so. grinning smiley

Pretty sure Zep ripped a lot of their song ideas from previous recordings. For people who know music it is fairly common knowledge.

There have been several threads posted here on IORR that explained it pretty well. The threads are sort of recent, but I guess they were posted before you joined IORR. Dont worry, you can play catch up. Doing a quick search I found one thread here, but there have been several over the years.

No worry's Max, relms, Leonoid, it was obviously a bit of a joke since we haven't heard Jimmy talking about anything but Zeppelin for a long time. Self referential has been Mr. Pages story for quite some time. But hey thanks for trying to educate me about Pages borrowed riffs. You'll probably be pleased to hear he lost the first round of the battle with Spirit over the Stairway to Heaven riff.

Stick around junior, maybe we can teach you some more things.

No doubt we all learn about the Stones here but if I want to learn more about Zeppelin I probably wouldn't expect to do so on a Stones forum. Why the new name every 999 posts?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2020 06:12

Seems we've been here before...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 3, 2020 07:33

Nice flashback seeing a post by Naturalust. Hope he or she is doing well.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 3, 2020 07:45

Yeah where is Naturalust …. ?????????

He did move over ta that Stones
food site but then went missing in action ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 3, 2020 19:02

The track IORR has like 7 guitars according to the guitar rags if I remember way back, need to listen with headsets again. Keith said on the Licks DVD I think the bonus section when they talk about songs he wiped out all the guitars, because it did not have that one off feel, and just kept RW 12 string?.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 4, 2020 16:41

treaclefingers
NOTE: This thread has been simulcast

OK….we’re not nankering around here anymore…this is it. It’s for ALL THE MARBLES and as George Dubya once so eloquently stated, I’M THE DECIDER (although of course I love y’all feedback and observations, as long as they are strictly positive).

And NOW….TWO 70’s GIANTS!!! It’s ONLY Rock and Roll vs. Exile on Main Street…cut for cut, until we run out of cuts! Is what they say true about EOMS? The songs alone aren’t as good as they are together? Can EOMS survive an album death match challenge?!

1. If You Can’t Rock Me vs. Rocks Off – admittedly IYCRM is a damn good kick off track…sounds especially good on LYL coupled with GOMC, but it’s no Rocks Off…you can’t see me right now, but imagine me pirouetting as I’m explaining this….There are no others, this is the finest song on both albums. Best BRIDGE EVER!

Nothing comes close, nothing touches Rocks Off.

How in god’s name it wasn’t the lead single is not only a travesty, it’s beyond comprehension. It’s like, yeah, they sure can write’em, but they have no idea what they have once they’ve written it. I’m SO MESMORIZED right now, 0-1 for EOMS.

2. Ain’t Too Proud To Beg vs. Rip This Joint – very evenly matched. Too be sure, Rip This Joint is a bit of a cast off, but what a cast off…pure energy…it’s like when you’re 5 years old and you’re running gleefully down a big hill and then you realize you’re out of control and you can’t slow down and you’re running faster and faster and your think you’re gonna fall and wipe out and somehow you manage to hang in there at the bottom. And you’re relieved and thrilled. That’s Rip This Joint. But as possibly their best cover ever, and heresy I know, but let’s just get it out there, better than the original…we have “Beg” edging out “Joint” at the wire. I ain’t too proud to beg for your sympathy with this decision and we’re all tied up, 1-1.

3. It’s Only Rock and Roll vs. Shake Your Hips – please, how can you compare? Nothing wrong with Shake Your Hips, nothing at all but ZZ Top’s got more oomph with their Slim Harpo take, and It’s Only Rock and Roll is a masterful recording. So masterful they can’t come close to replicating it live. Easy pick and IORR retakes the lead 2-1

IORR never was in the lead with 1 and 2 so it didn't retake the lead.

Date: January 4, 2020 16:44

DandelionPowderman
If You Really Want To Be My Friend wins over Sweet Black Angel????????????????

That's an easy one. Can You Hear The Music would win over SBA. IYRWTBMF is excellent.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 5, 2020 02:21

How is this even a question? Sure IORR has its strong points, but it's not even close to EOMS.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 5, 2020 13:09

ryanpow
How is this even a question? Sure IORR has its strong points, but it's not even close to EOMS.

Yep- different worlds.

Date: January 5, 2020 16:36

ryanpow

It's not a question.

Date: January 5, 2020 19:20

GasLightStreet
ryanpow

It's not a question.

There is a question being posed on a certain level.

Date: January 5, 2020 21:00

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
NOTE: This thread has been simulcast

OK….we’re not nankering around here anymore…this is it. It’s for ALL THE MARBLES and as George Dubya once so eloquently stated, I’M THE DECIDER (although of course I love y’all feedback and observations, as long as they are strictly positive).

And NOW….TWO 70’s GIANTS!!! It’s ONLY Rock and Roll vs. Exile on Main Street…cut for cut, until we run out of cuts! Is what they say true about EOMS? The songs alone aren’t as good as they are together? Can EOMS survive an album death match challenge?!

1. If You Can’t Rock Me vs. Rocks Off – admittedly IYCRM is a damn good kick off track…sounds especially good on LYL coupled with GOMC, but it’s no Rocks Off…you can’t see me right now, but imagine me pirouetting as I’m explaining this….There are no others, this is the finest song on both albums. Best BRIDGE EVER!

Nothing comes close, nothing touches Rocks Off.

How in god’s name it wasn’t the lead single is not only a travesty, it’s beyond comprehension. It’s like, yeah, they sure can write’em, but they have no idea what they have once they’ve written it. I’m SO MESMORIZED right now, 0-1 for EOMS.

2. Ain’t Too Proud To Beg vs. Rip This Joint – very evenly matched. Too be sure, Rip This Joint is a bit of a cast off, but what a cast off…pure energy…it’s like when you’re 5 years old and you’re running gleefully down a big hill and then you realize you’re out of control and you can’t slow down and you’re running faster and faster and your think you’re gonna fall and wipe out and somehow you manage to hang in there at the bottom. And you’re relieved and thrilled. That’s Rip This Joint. But as possibly their best cover ever, and heresy I know, but let’s just get it out there, better than the original…we have “Beg” edging out “Joint” at the wire. I ain’t too proud to beg for your sympathy with this decision and we’re all tied up, 1-1.

3. It’s Only Rock and Roll vs. Shake Your Hips – please, how can you compare? Nothing wrong with Shake Your Hips, nothing at all but ZZ Top’s got more oomph with their Slim Harpo take, and It’s Only Rock and Roll is a masterful recording. So masterful they can’t come close to replicating it live. Easy pick and IORR retakes the lead 2-1

IORR never was in the lead with 1 and 2 so it didn't retake the lead.

But..but...

Date: January 5, 2020 21:01

ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

It's not a question.

Clearly IORR is the better album, that's why BV must have chosen it over EOMS and let Drake take EOMS, which then died.

It's all in the name...(but I like it!)

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 5, 2020 21:23

Both albums are a 10 out of 10 for me but EOMS is a bigger 10 alright.

Date: January 6, 2020 00:48

ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

It's not a question.

Consider the source!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 6, 2020 03:36

It's Only Rock n Roll is a nice album but it ain't no EOMS

Date: January 6, 2020 03:57

A song that competes is Luxury!! One of the best rock songs ever created and goes under the radar. Not even played in concert ( need fact checking).

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 6, 2020 07:39

Chris Fountain
A song that competes is Luxury!! One of the best rock songs ever created and goes under the radar. Not even played in concert ( need fact checking).

Yeah, it’s a rockin’ good tune. Damian Marley has said he’s willing to sing it if the Stones want to include it in the setlist for the coming tour. Fingers crossed.

The songwriting on IORR is every bit as good as on EOMS but whereas in the past Mick and Keith wrote songs to please themselves by 1974 they were writing songs that would please the sponsors and audience of Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert. I blame the fickleness of society not the Stones. Mick understood that to stay relevant the Stones would have to sound more like KISS (which they definitely do on If You Can’t Rock Me and the title track) than Robert Johnson.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 07:42 by Swayed1967.

Date: January 6, 2020 15:46

Chris Fountain

What's even more amazing is how it lead to the creation of reggae and Bob Marley. HUGE influential song.

Date: January 6, 2020 15:51

Chris Fountain

Here you go, Chris smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 6, 2020 16:03

What a video post!!!! What is the date line? This song rocks live as i expected it should. Did i hear an xlophone intro?

mmm I saw them in Greensboro NC in 75 and cannot remember if they played this song - I don't think they did. In any event this a great warhorse replacement. But this could be a Warhorse by time of the 2042 AD Thread grinning smiley

Thanks for the post!!

Date: January 6, 2020 16:07

June 18 1975, methinks.

Bring it on indeed! thumbs up

Date: January 6, 2020 17:07

Deleted Off Topic not adherent to this thread topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 17:21 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2020 17:31

Both albums are fake stones. smileys with beer

Date: January 6, 2020 17:42

Both albums are fake stones.

There was a band playing behind the studio the entire time? Shocking!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 6, 2020 17:54

I prefer iorr.org over eoms . org.

Edit: if remove the spaces in the eoms website, it looks like @#$%& smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 17:56 by Koen.

Date: January 6, 2020 18:16

treaclefingers
ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

It's not a question.

Clearly IORR is the better album, that's why BV must have chosen it over EOMS and let Drake take EOMS, which then died.

It's all in the name...(but I like it!)

By that metric, A Bigger Bang dwarfs both of them because it was rated fan's #1 album in the on line pole that was taken here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 18:18 by ryanpow.

Date: January 6, 2020 18:17

GasLightStreet
ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

It's not a question.

Consider the source!

eye popping smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 6, 2020 18:31

ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow
GasLightStreet
ryanpow

It's not a question.

Consider the source!

eye popping smiley

To put it in another way, I am one, who find that these were strange albums to select for a comparison. Not interesting in my view to take part in.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home