Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28
Re: OT: Guns n' Roses - Axl and Slash reconcile
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 22, 2016 15:35

Everwest1, that is amazing. Very cool to find someone thats the same way. As a fan that has seen them during Snakepit (you, not me unfortunately) THAT is the ultimate test! Your stories sound awesome. Yeah, I've been up close seeing him solo. Was right in front of his amp for one of his solo shows and I swear his guitar was all I heard and I really couldn't hear for like 3 days. But it was Slash and he was spot on. He's amazing. So cool to see you get it and I love your experiences. As for who he's played with, make fun of it all you want, but everyone he's played with his been mostly good. Did an amazing song with the girl from the Pussycat Dolls, he did a great song with Fergie, he made a song with the cartoon show Phineas and Ferb and it was outstanding LOL. I'm sorry, I know its laughable, but its just true. The man apparently does no wrong.

Kurt
I'm in!
Saturday night in Las Vegas will be a @#$%& blast.

These three main guys are the draw, no doubt.
Of course I'm hoping for an Izzy appearance and Steven too and if that happens...
>grinning smiley<

Thats awesome man! I just booked my hotel so like I said I'll be there all weekend. Energy levels should be through the roof and I have to imagine there will be a lot of GNR gatherings.

Also, I think everyone knows, but I'm not actually comparing Use Your Illusion and Exile in terms of quality. It is a common argument that Exile could be trimmed, even here. Many things its perfect the way it is. I'm just pointing out that many GNR fans feel the same way about Illusions, especially cause they had such little output, so to not bring up that obvious parallel would be ridiculous.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: January 22, 2016 15:51

RollingFreak
Everwest1, that is amazing. Very cool to find someone thats the same way. As a fan that has seen them during Snakepit (you, not me unfortunately) THAT is the ultimate test! Your stories sound awesome. Yeah, I've been up close seeing him solo. Was right in front of his amp for one of his solo shows and I swear his guitar was all I heard and I really couldn't hear for like 3 days. But it was Slash and he was spot on. He's amazing. So cool to see you get it and I love your experiences. As for who he's played with, make fun of it all you want, but everyone he's played with his been mostly good. Did an amazing song with the girl from the Pussycat Dolls, he did a great song with Fergie, he made a song with the cartoon show Phineas and Ferb and it was outstanding LOL. I'm sorry, I know its laughable, but its just true. The man apparently does no wrong.

I may have written it wrong and/or been misunderstood. I would NEVER make fun of who Slash played with. I am not worthy to judge Slash (except to praise him).

I am amazed at range/style of people Slash has played with. It shows me that he is the THE MAN.
SLASH - HAVE GUITAR - WILL TRAVEL! He doesn't seem to be all uppity and judge who or how or what he plays with, as some artists seem to be so picky... Slash just does it, and he has been doing it for so long now. He is proven.

He just plays and he "Slashizes it". Like EVH used to do in the old days on some other peoples songs. I am amazed looking over the list [www.slashparadise.com] of who Slash has played with... and how long he has been doing that. He just plays. I love it. No preaching. No telling us his opinion, No lectures, No blah blah, No yadda yadda.... he juts plays and plays. He truly lets the music do the talkin.

Date: January 22, 2016 19:49

everwest1
RollingFreak

I may have written it wrong and/or been misunderstood. I would NEVER make fun of who Slash played with. I am not worthy to judge Slash (except to praise him).

Not at all! I just meant for those that are already kind of mocking GNR, I FULLY expect it for Slash doing a friggen cartoon show. I fully know that you get it, as evidenced by the way you perfectly described my feelings. He "Slashizes" everything. Thats a perfect description. And yeah, you've already said it. No politics, no preaching, no nothing. He plays guitar and makes music and it sounds great. He's such a big star that it sounds like I'm just saying it cause he's known, but seriously, we won't see the likes of him for a very long time when he's gone.

Date: January 23, 2016 18:11

RollingFreak
everwest1
RollingFreak

Not at all! I just meant for those that are already kind of mocking GNR, I FULLY expect it for Slash doing a friggen cartoon show. I fully know that you get it, as evidenced by the way you perfectly described my feelings. He "Slashizes" everything. Thats a perfect description. And yeah, you've already said it. No politics, no preaching, no nothing. He plays guitar and makes music and it sounds great. He's such a big star that it sounds like I'm just saying it cause he's known, but seriously, we won't see the likes of him for a very long time when he's gone.

I hope Slash stays with us for a long long long long more time. We need him in the rock and world.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 24, 2016 10:22

I don't really get the praises about Slash :
he hasn't written a memorable song since the UYI years, he's played with questionable people (Fergie anyone?) he's built a public image (Les Paul + top hat) which was OK in 1987 but is laughable now...
And while he hates his wife (Axl) now he's going "home" for the money.

Well...

Date: January 24, 2016 11:17

He plays a mean guitar. That should be sufficient..

Posted by: novica ()
Date: January 24, 2016 13:03

DandelionPowderman

exactly !

smileys with beer

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 13:16

Yeap! I have never paid pretty much any attention to G n'R, didn't know much about Slash. Of course I knew the hits, it is impossible no to, but that was it. But I play guitar and so when Slash came the last year, I went to see him out of curiosity. I watched one concert on DVD before I went, so that I would know what to expect and I really liked it. I loooved the actual gig I went to. Slash was simply excellent, Myles Kennedy, the singer, was really great and so was the band. It was a small arena, I was really close...I am really happy I went. If he ever comes again with this band, I will surely be there. I am not so sure about G n R. Well, if they came to our country and the tickets were for reasonable price, I would go, but I would not pay any ridiculous money. Axel was here twice with his second G n R and never thought about going, so paying big bucks for seeing him with Slash, after I saw Slash with and excellent singer for 55E up and close doesn't really sound tempting. But that is just me of course.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 24, 2016 14:17

DandelionPowderman

Exactly! I still grin like crazy whenever I watch recent footage of him soloing on Sweet Child O' Mine or Paradise City. There is a touch of the caricature about him at times, but it's a part of him I love. He's Slash. Ask a child to draw a picture of what they'd imagine a rock-guitarist to look like, and they'll probably scribble a stick man with a top-hat, guitar and cigarette.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: January 24, 2016 14:21

How hard is it for these guys to just hold a press conference and announce who's in the lineup?!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 24, 2016 22:32

Maybe there is not a definitive lineup at the moment?
I think that something is moving. And I'm talking about Matt Sorum or Steven Adler.

What a drummer like Ferrer can give to the sound of GN'R? Nothing.
Matt Sorum is a very good drummer and is part of their sound.

Date: January 24, 2016 23:04

bonddm
How hard is it for these guys to just hold a press conference and announce who's in the lineup?!

Alot of people think thats "corporate rock and roll". More "Older Rolling Stones" than "Classic GNR". Thats not my opinion, but I'm just saying. Thats what the Eagles, Stones, KISS do to drum up attention. Not everyone is in favor of them doing that.

pepganzo

I love Matt Sorum and really want him to be apart of this, but many don't agree he is "part of their sound". Their "sound" is Appetite For Destruction. Sorum played with the band during their classic era, but his drums sounded horrible live. He sounds much better now, but during his tenure people have reason not to like him. And if we're being completely honest, he AND Frank are exactly the same drummers. They are hired replacements that can play the music well. Sorum just happened to do it with the old band. I think its right that he should be included, but if we're taking bias out of the equation, you could put in Frank or Matt and they'd both get it done exactly the same way. And it does just make more sense that Axl would prefer his current drummer, when thats indeed the case.

Date: January 24, 2016 23:13

Happy24
Yeap! I have never paid pretty much any attention to G n'R, didn't know much about Slash. Of course I knew the hits, it is impossible no to, but that was it. But I play guitar and so when Slash came the last year, I went to see him out of curiosity. I watched one concert on DVD before I went, so that I would know what to expect and I really liked it. I loooved the actual gig I went to. Slash was simply excellent, Myles Kennedy, the singer, was really great and so was the band. It was a small arena, I was really close...I am really happy I went. If he ever comes again with this band, I will surely be there. I am not so sure about G n R. Well, if they came to our country and the tickets were for reasonable price, I would go, but I would not pay any ridiculous money. Axel was here twice with his second G n R and never thought about going, so paying big bucks for seeing him with Slash, after I saw Slash with and excellent singer for 55E up and close doesn't really sound tempting. But that is just me of course.

I've said it once, I've said it millions of times. Slash and his solo band are the best live band you'll find these days for that price. They are amazing,

Date: January 24, 2016 23:21

Happy24

Right on thumbs up
The proof is in the pudding. I guess one has to like rock and roll to like Slash, and I don't mean poser rock or country rock or mellow rock or slow rock or boring rock... I mean rock and fknroll that comes in fast, kicks your ass and leaves you grinning. The kind of rock and roll that rocks you hard and fast just for the fun of it.

Slash is a team player. He is part of the band. He is not one of these fancy boys doing all this esoteric (albeit very talented) weird guitar stuff. I wont name names becasue I am sure those overly talented long fingered showoffs who stand out front and basically mister bit on stage have their devote nerdly fan base who will defend them to the end, and I wont argue with them, just the opposite... I say more power to them (and I certainly will not show up in threads about them and bash on them, why would I?)... but in the end those types of nerd guitarist are kind of boring to me and they do have not have many hit songs that are widely known. They are basically one man shows and even if they are very talented and blisteringly fast as they run up and down the neck, they are not very fun for me to watch for very long.

Slash is not like that. He is simply one of the players on stage, he is the very talented lead guitar in the band. He plays his part and then steps back and lets the other band members do their part to move the song along. The shows are not one long guitar solo. The shows I have seen Slash play are rock and roll concerts with great song after great song after well known great song after BIG HIT great song after kick ass hit song... so many great well know songs. It is amazing. The proof was in the pudding. If Slash is playing you can bank on it being a fun rock concert, not a guitar lecture.

And as Happy said... "It was a small arena, I was really close...I am really happy I went." SAME FOR ME! There is nothing quite like seeing an amazing band in a small venue and being up close. It tends to make people so happy that they will go on and on and on praising the players for years on message boards... like this. cool smiley

and now a song-
Slash, Myles with Glenn Hughes from Deep Purple playing BURN in Glasgow, Scotland 04/12/14

Paradise City from the same recorder (Bless the recorders!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-24 23:45 by everwest1.

Date: January 25, 2016 00:30

Someone described it once that "Slash seems to play every solo like its his last."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2016 00:41

I saw Slash in concert this past october in vancouver. slash IS G'n'R. hope things work out with Ax hole, but he doesn't need him.

Date: January 25, 2016 00:50

treaclefingers
I saw Slash in concert this past october in vancouver. slash IS G'n'R. hope things work out with Ax hole, but he doesn't need him.

True. But there's no denying there's magic when the two are together. Slash is the GNR sound, but while I've loved a lot of Slash's solo albums, he's never had a singer that challenges him as much in a positive way as Axl. The two just work too well together to never play again.

Date: January 25, 2016 01:01

RollingFreak
treaclefingers

True. But there's no denying there's magic when the two are together. Slash is the GNR sound, but while I've loved a lot of Slash's solo albums, he's never had a singer that challenges him as much in a positive way as Axl. The two just work too well together to never play again.

well as i said, i hope things work out...maybe axl has settled down in middle age, but the guy still just seems so volatile. hard to imagine the glue would hold beyond a short tour, who knows though.

such a wasted opportunity for them, this last couple of decades.

Date: January 25, 2016 01:12

RollingFreak
Someone described it once that "Slash seems to play every solo like its his last."
It is a good way to do things. Say what you say to a loved one like it is the last thing you will say to them. Live each day...

Date: January 25, 2016 01:13

treaclefingers
I saw Slash in concert this past October in Vancouver. slash IS G'n'R. hope things work out with Ax hole, but he doesn't need him.
I agree, Myles Kennedy does a perfect job in the singer slot... and the ticket prices are right too.

Date: January 25, 2016 01:15

But still, it seems the demand is there for this reunion and if this Vegas test works it will go world wide.

Date: January 25, 2016 02:14

RollingFreak

he plays every solo like its the same lol

Date: January 25, 2016 04:00

I'll hang back from replying to every post in this thread, but just saw this video and IMO it shows them at the peak of their powers. At least as a live act in a big setting. This isn't the Appetite lineup, and its not in a small club, but this is them at the end of a grueling 2 and a half year tour with Slash playing amazing and Axl singing just out of this world. This is a hard song to nail, especially live, Axl seems to do it with such ease. Although I could understand if its not everyone's cup of tea:

I don't know. I watch that and think thats why they were so great. When the whole band was on, they were on fire, and Axl seems pretty relaxed and enjoyable here. Love the little lean he does on Slash there at the end. It really is sad how two decades was wasted, at least for Axl, over rather silly feuding. At least Slash was active, but seriously if this thing takes off they wasted precious time that they'll never get back when they could have made great music.

Date: January 25, 2016 06:45

everwest1
treaclefingers
I saw Slash in concert this past October in Vancouver. slash IS G'n'R. hope things work out with Ax hole, but he doesn't need him.
I agree, Myles Kennedy does a perfect job in the singer slot... and the ticket prices are right too.

that's the guy...he was excellent, and what were the ticket prices, $40? unreal.

Date: January 25, 2016 17:59

treaclefingers
everwest1
treaclefingers

that's the guy...he was excellent, and what were the ticket prices, $40? unreal.
Indeed! and a true bargain!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 25, 2016 18:04

RollingFreak
bonddm

Alot of people think thats "corporate rock and roll". More "Older Rolling Stones" than "Classic GNR". Thats not my opinion, but I'm just saying. Thats what the Eagles, Stones, KISS do to drum up attention. Not everyone is in favor of them doing that.

pepganzo

I love Matt Sorum and really want him to be apart of this, but many don't agree he is "part of their sound". Their "sound" is Appetite For Destruction. Sorum played with the band during their classic era, but his drums sounded horrible live. He sounds much better now, but during his tenure people have reason not to like him. And if we're being completely honest, he AND Frank are exactly the same drummers. They are hired replacements that can play the music well. Sorum just happened to do it with the old band. I think its right that he should be included, but if we're taking bias out of the equation, you could put in Frank or Matt and they'd both get it done exactly the same way. And it does just make more sense that Axl would prefer his current drummer, when thats indeed the case.

I think we always have to contextualize what we say. In the sense that not only Matt had that sound at the time. During live shows the vast majority of those drummers adopted specific amplifications same as Matt . When you say that Matt and Frank are the same thing I think you're wrong . From a purely legal point of view, you're probably right; yes they were both shift workers. But Matt was a session musician in and for the real line up while Frank is a session musician for a cover band. Matt also taken individually played more songs than Steven and Frank . Also the average listener considers drummer Sorum of Guns N 'Roses. Another point to Matt is what he did with Velvet Revolver and Snakepit. In those bands his sound is very good.

About Adler: I would like him in the band but I think it's a bit ' unlikely . despite everything I think is still unreliable . and this is a great sin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-25 18:05 by pepganzo.

Date: January 25, 2016 18:43

No I totally get that. Again, Matt is definitely who I think should drum if, and since, Steven can't. That would legitimize this "reunion" way more. But the thing is it makes absolute sense why he's not. He didn't write anything on the Illusions records. Arguably his most famous drumming part with the band is the You Could Be Mine intro, and even that was written by Duff and not Matt. So what I mean is in terms of contribution and originality, he's as deserving as Frank, as much as I disagree with Frank being the drummer.

Yes, Frank was drumming in what was essentially a cover band that was Guns N Roses the past 15 years. But the thing, I think when you take out all bias, all drummers that aren't Steven Adler are largely the same. They are all NOT the original drummers of Guns, and are in turn hired hands that do the role any other session drummer could. What Matt has in his corner is the fact that he played with Guns before 93. And again, I think thats enough that he absolutely should be the drummer for the songs Steven can't do. But seriously. it does make sense that Axl would see the two drummers as the same, and just go with the one he's had who also basically gets the job done. If anyone should be fighting for Sorum, its Slash and Duff. So either they also think anyone can do the job, or Sorum was such a sore point that it threatened to derail the whole tour.

Date: January 25, 2016 18:59

Maybe it has something to do with Axl wanting to have at least one guy on his side when they all start throwing things at each other back stage when the SHTF
winking smiley

Date: January 25, 2016 19:07

btw- Speaking of getting the band back together, not sure if anyone here is an X-Files fan, but it was a lot of fun for me to see Mulder and Scully getting back together and "playing the old hits" again last night. I read some people whining about how it was too yadda yadda and others saying it was not yadda yadda enough and blah blah this and that.... but for me it was fun. Simply hearing the intro music and seeing the credits come up was fun! Just like with this GNR thing, it is more about the fun of seeing the band get back together again than really expecting things to be as super magical as they were. If it is good enough then it is good enough.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 23:58

Now I have a question. After seeing Slash I started to get into GnR, but I am really a novice - I have bought the Appetite and the Live in Tokyo 1992 DVDs. There are no more official DVDs (well, except of the "new" GnR, but I am not really interested in that. At least not now) and so I wanted to ask what are the crucial DVD bootlegs I should seek. I am not really interested in some ultra rare stuff, which is like fifth copy of a bad VHS, just some show(s) that is/are good quality - both the audio and video. Thanks your advice!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home