Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 28
Re: OT: Axl and Slash reconcile
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 27, 2015 17:09

dcba
GasLightStreet

There's the biggest problem of that GNR era - those albums SUCKED. They sucked so bad they passed out from sucking.

Really?
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Check the list : the only CDs I would still listen to today are the UYI volumes.
"You Could Be Mine" "Locomotive" Dust'n Bones" "Estranged" "The Garden" "Double Talkin' Jive" are the jewels of that crown.
They (Axl?) made one mistake : wanting to include pre-AFD material that should have been ditched (like "Back Off Bitch" ).

Yes, really. Even just one of them being in the Top 10 of any magazine in 1991 is just wrong. There are just a hand full of good tunes from both albums to make one decent album. I liked You Could Be Mine. Dust 'N' Bones is good. It's too bad there's so much crap on them. And you're right - November Rain was pre-AFD. Axl even stated that if they didn't record it right he would quit the business.

They didn't record it right. It SUCKS. Why is he still around?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 27, 2015 17:34

GasLightStreet
oldschool
They have more than enough material to put on a 2hour show as the UYI albums are both double albums so they have over three hours of original material.

There's the biggest problem of that GNR era - those albums SUCKED. They sucked so bad they passed out from sucking.

Had they edited the shit out of those two double albums they could've had a somewhat decent single album of possibly up to 10-12 tracks.

So if you're suggesting that they have plenty of tracks for a decent set list, the only part about it is the number of songs they could play and seeing that most of the USE YOUR ILLUSION tracks suck, the set list would be a rip off to fans if it consisted mostly of UYI sucking songs.

I do agree they have some filler but I also disagree they suck.

Each of those albums sold over 9 million copies apiece and the band sold out stadiums and arenas on the 91-93 UYI tour.

If you look a the setlists from the UYI tours they played most of AFD and select songs from the UYI and Lies albums and had over 2 hour sets.

I also belong to a GnR forum and when they do polls the UYI albums run neck and neck with AFD for fan favorite.

I respect your right to think the UYI albums suck but fans of the band seem to love them and would want to hear them if they reunite.

Date: August 27, 2015 18:03

oldschool
GasLightStreet
oldschool
They have more than enough material to put on a 2hour show as the UYI albums are both double albums so they have over three hours of original material.

Had they edited the shit out of those two double albums they could've had a somewhat decent single album of possibly up to 10-12 tracks.

So if you're suggesting that they have plenty of tracks for a decent set list, the only part about it is the number of songs they could play and seeing that most of the USE YOUR ILLUSION tracks suck, the set list would be a rip off to fans if it consisted mostly of UYI sucking songs.

Each of those albums sold over 9 million copies apiece and the band sold out stadiums and arenas on the 91-93 UYI tour.

If you look a the setlists from the UYI tours they played most of AFD and select songs from the UYI and Lies albums and had over 2 hour sets.

I also belong to a GnR forum and when they do polls the UYI albums run neck and neck with AFD for fan favorite.

I respect your right to think the UYI albums suck but fans of the band seem to love them and would want to hear them if they reunite.

Well the GNR fans SUCK!!!!!!! They have bad taste!

Did you mean they want to hear UYI 1 and 2 if GNR gets back together? Yikes.

I was floored. I bought both issues of UYI. Civil War and You Could Be Mine were promising - those tunes were killer. I thought, Great! They've taken that energy and heaviness of AFD and expanded on it.

WRONG. Matt Sorum deflated that band, as technically great of a drummer that he is. He was a big reason why those albums sound so sterile: there was no emotion in the drumming. And shitty songs with emotionless drums really helps to suck.

Within a month of buying UYI 1 and 2 I got rid of them. Just way too much bad music on it. If GNR fans love those albums then that says something (even with their thin discography, too much of a bad thing is still too much of a bad thing). I get it's not much different than Stones fans liking DIRTY WORK but... most Stones fans were smart and didn't buy that album or if they did they know it sucks. There are also 20 some other LPs to listen to that are better.

And DW didn't sell 9 or 18 million copies (that blows my mind that those albums sold that well) like UYI 1 and 2 did.

I remember listening to those albums and half of it sounded like 'Hey, we have money now, we can record anything we want', especially lame song arrangements. Some of it does indeed sound like they were recording just for the sake of recording. And a hand full were way over the top produced, especially Vomitember Rain and Live And Let Die.

That was Guns'N'F'ing Roses??????

A quadruple DIRTY WORK!!!

Date: August 27, 2015 18:28

GasLightStreet
oldschool
GasLightStreet
oldschool

Did you mean they want to hear UYI 1 and 2 if GNR gets back together? Yikes.

I was floored. I bought both issues of UYI. Civil War and You Could Be Mine were promising - those tunes were killer. I thought, Great! They've taken that energy and heaviness of AFD and expanded on it.

WRONG. Matt Sorum deflated that band, as technically great of a drummer that he is. He was a big reason why those albums sound so sterile: there was no emotion in the drumming. And shitty songs with emotionless drums really helps to suck.

Within a month of buying UYI 1 and 2 I got rid of them. Just way too much bad music on it. If GNR fans love those albums then that says something (even with their thin discography, too much of a bad thing is still too much of a bad thing). I get it's not much different than Stones fans liking DIRTY WORK but... most Stones fans were smart and didn't buy that album or if they did they know it sucks. There are also 20 some other LPs to listen to that are better.

And DW didn't sell 9 or 18 million copies (that blows my mind that those albums sold that well) like UYI 1 and 2 did.

I remember listening to those albums and half of it sounded like 'Hey, we have money now, we can record anything we want', especially lame song arrangements. Some of it does indeed sound like they were recording just for the sake of recording. And a hand full were way over the top produced, especially Vomitember Rain and Live And Let Die.

That was Guns'N'F'ing Roses??????

A quadruple DIRTY WORK!!!

Too each his own Gas. I know people who think the Stones suck so go figure.

I don't think the UYI albums suck but for me they were a let down after AFD.

I also saw Guns twice back in 1987 in small clubs in NYC, right before AFD broke big, and the shows were some of the hottest I have ever witnessed.

I also saw the MkII version of Guns, with Gilby, Dizzy and Sorum, on the UYI tour twice and while the shows were good it did not hold a candle to the 87 shows with the original AFD band.

On the UYI tour Axl added keyboards and backup singers. Rumor has it he was influenced by the shows they played with the Stones in L.A. in 89 and copied the post 89 Stones band setup.

I also agree with you about Sorum as I find him to be a bit of a basher so never liked him in Guns or even The Cult, another of my favorite bands, for that matter.

JMO but if there is a reunion it will be one of the hottest tickets of the year.

After seeing the original I am not sure I would go out of my way to score tickets unless I lucked into good seats at face value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 18:29 by oldschool.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:38

I had always suspected that Axl was trying to clone the 89 Stones tour setup, which is a real shame.

I saw them multiple times from 88 through 93, and could not believe how with each show they became even more bloated.

When Use Your Illusion came out, I was really into it. In hindsight, it is so dated and mostly garbage. Big overdone sound, big production. The songs mostly aren't strong. Ideally, UYI should have been a single disk, with Steven Adler, and the same producers of Appetite.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 27, 2015 19:05

Kennedy
Ideally, UYI should have been a single disk, with the same producers of Appetite.

It had the same prodcuer (Mike Clink) only the mixing guy changed (Bill Price).
[www.mixonline.com]

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 27, 2015 19:54

Did not know that. I'm surprised at how different the sound is.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 27, 2015 20:32

They have good songs and I'd like to listen to a setlist like this:

1. Welcome To The Jungle
2. Nightrain
3. Mr. Brownstone
4. Live and Let Die
5. Dust N'Bones (Izzy on vocals)
6. Sweet Child O' Mine
7. Move to the city
8. It's So Easy
9. You could be mine
10. Knockin'on Heavens door.
11. Patience
12. Outta Get Me
13. Bad Obsession
14. There was a time
15. November rain
16. 14 Years (Izzy on vocals)
17. My Michelle
18. Rocket queen
19. So fine
20. Don't Cry
21. Bad Apples
22. Paradise City

Here a video of them with RW (1993)
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 20:36 by pepganzo.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 27, 2015 20:38

pepganzo, nothing from Chinese Democracy? tongue sticking out smiley
Could you imagine, a reunited Guns N' Roses are rehearsing and Axl says to the other guys "hey, Let's try something off of Chinese Democracy!". To be a fly on the wall...

Date: August 27, 2015 21:13

Boognish
Could you imagine, a reunited Guns N' Roses are rehearsing and Axl says to the other guys "hey, Let's try something off of Chinese Democracy!". To be a fly on the wall...

Only There was a time. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I don't think that people want to listen to the original GNR doin' CD's songs.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:17

Oops. Now's the time to get my eyes checked!

Date: August 28, 2015 00:37

Kennedy
I had always suspected that Axl was trying to clone the 89 Stones tour setup, which is a real shame.

I saw them multiple times from 88 through 93, and could not believe how with each show they became even more bloated.

When Use Your Illusion came out, I was really into it. In hindsight, it is so dated and mostly garbage. Big overdone sound, big production. The songs mostly aren't strong. Ideally, UYI should have been a single disk, with Steven Adler, and the same producers of Appetite.

Yeah I agree Axl got carried away with the production. According to Slash the raw tapes of UYI, before Axl added all the overdubs, were kick ass.

Date: August 28, 2015 00:45

Boognish

According to Marc Canter, who was one of the bands best friends back in the day, Axl actually wanted Slash to play on a few ChiDem songs in the late 90's eary 00's but Slash said something in the press that pissed Axl off and that ended that.

JMO but I don't think Slash would have an issue playing one of Axl's songs.

If you want one of the best books about a band I have ever read grab a copy of Marc Canter's "Reckless Road". Marc is the owner of Canter's Deli in L.A. which is famous for catering to musicians and actors.

[www.amazon.com]

Marc was a childhood friend of Slash and he took audio and video recordings of the band from the first gig up until they started to break big in 87. He is still close friends with Slash and some of the other band members. He has said that he hopes to do a box set of his Audio/Videos some day if Axl will agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 00:45 by oldschool.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 28, 2015 03:37

Yeah, I'd love to hear original Guns do some Chinese songs, but only if Axl will play some VR or the other guy's solo material. Those should be fair game as much as Chinese, despite Chinese being the only one as GNR in name. They should all get a chance or take all of them out of the equation. Personally, I'd love to hear Slash take a shot at the title track or There Was A Time as much as I'd want to hear Axl sing Slither or Sucker Train Blues, or all those guys play an Izzy solo song.

Having said that, the focus would obviously be on Guns material and its a pretty easy setlist to figure out. 8 songs or so (one would guess) from Appetite. A smattering of 5 or so from each of the Illusions. Throw in 1 or 2 songs from Lies, something from Live Like A Suicide and you've essentially got it right there with solo spots and everything like they used to have.

Having said that, Eddie Trunk on his most recent podcast said he reached out to Slash's manager after all the reunion hullabaloo and, unfortunately as I expected, his manager said most of this has all been blown way out of proportion and Slash is laying low because of it. So I'm thinking if anything, if Slash and Axl haven't spoken yet and this is all being blown out of proportion, then Axl is probably gonna be more mad than ever about Slash bringing this all back up. It sounds like it could have been hopeful wishing on Slash's part that got way too blown up.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 28, 2015 06:41

and if this is all being blown out of proportion, then Axl is probably gonna be more mad than ever about Slash bringing this all back up.

It would be too funny if Axl did throw a TMZ style hizzy fit about Slash talking...

Oh man I miss the 80s.

Date: August 28, 2015 21:32

oldschool
GasLightStreet
oldschool
GasLightStreet
oldschool

Too each his own Gas. I know people who think the Stones suck so go figure.

I don't think the UYI albums suck but for me they were a let down after AFD.

I they've listened to DIRTY WORK I can understand why they think the Stones suck!

oldschool
I also agree with you about Sorum as I find him to be a bit of a basher so never liked him in Guns or even The Cult, another of my favorite bands, for that matter.

I saw The Cult twice on their SONIC TEMPLE tours. Sorum just bashed. It was lethargically heavy. Then on the CULT RISING and BEYOND GOOD & EVIL tours (and that album, as much as I don't like it) he was much better. A bit more refined basher.

Tempesta is killer though.

Date: August 29, 2015 02:39

Tempestra is fantastic. Best drummer the Cult has ever had. Not sure if Adler is up for it after his stroke but he needs to play on the AFD songs as Sorum butchers them IMHO.

Date: August 29, 2015 03:34

tempesta was also with rob zombie at one point right?

Date: August 29, 2015 17:03

GasLightStreet

I saw The Cult twice on their SONIC TEMPLE tours. Sorum just bashed. It was lethargically heavy.

It's no secret Slash picked Sorum and my guess is he wanted a 1990's John Bonham type of drummer (a very heavy hitter jackhammer drummer). At that time Slash also was trying to turn the twin-guitars G'n R into a one-guitar band. He'd ask the FOB guy to turn Izzy's guitar very low.

A Bonham clone + a one-guitar band = yeah in 1991 Slash wanted to turn G&R into a modern Led Zep. Add Axl who was into Elton John and NIN... well that band was bound to explode. grinning smiley

Date: August 29, 2015 21:18

Izzy's guitar had to be turned low because he was playing wholly different songs during their set lol. Similar to how Sorum was picked up because Adler physically could not make it through their songs. The guy plays on Civil War and thats it and the Illusions and its allegedly made up of about 100 takes. The guy was a mess and needed to be replaced.

As for Sorum, he wasn't great when in GNR. He had bad live drum sound, but on the records I thought he was fine. I think it was more a sign of their recording than his actual abilities. I think he's a fine drummer and he's proven that in Velvet Revolver, which sounds he's adapted his drum sound to something much more normal and more fitting of GNR.

Date: August 29, 2015 21:44

I think Slash's always been jealous of Izzy. His writing skills, his closeness to Alan Niven, his coolness, his street cred (while Slash was born with a silver spoon in his mouth).
Slash built himself a rock star Izzy was one naturally. And if Slash had two working brain cells he would have done anything to prevent Izzy from leaving in 1991.
Instead he probably thought "good riddance man now it's my band musically speaking. Now let's hire a "yes man" for the tour and I'll put my own songs on the next album! POWER IS MINE!!!".)

A marvellous plan grinning smiley aka "how to kill the golden hen". And you had to be a bit of a mean prick to erase Izzy guitar parts from the "Spaghetti Incident", right? smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 21:51 by dcba.

Date: August 30, 2015 05:23

dcba
I think Slash's always been jealous of Izzy. His writing skills, his closeness to Alan Niven, his coolness, his street cred (while Slash was born with a silver spoon in his mouth).
Slash built himself a rock star Izzy was one naturally. And if Slash had two working brain cells he would have done anything to prevent Izzy from leaving in 1991.
Instead he probably thought "good riddance man now it's my band musically speaking. Now let's hire a "yes man" for the tour and I'll put my own songs on the next album! POWER IS MINE!!!".)

A marvellous plan grinning smiley aka "how to kill the golden hen". And you had to be a bit of a mean prick to erase Izzy guitar parts from the "Spaghetti Incident", right? smoking smiley

This is total bullshit. Slash did not grow up with a silver spoon in his mouth and his family was not wealthy.

Izzy left because of Axl's constant lateness, his unpredictability where he would walk off stage mid concert, and his megalomania trying to cut Izzy's partnership percentage. He also had to stay straight due to an incident on a plane fight, or risk prison, and he could not be around Duff and Slash who were always getting trashed.

This idea that Slash was jealous of Izzy is nonsense as he and Izzy were doing smack together.

Everything I stated above can be verified in interviews. If you want to hate on someone for Izzy leaving the band your hating on the wrong person as Axl drove Izzy from band not Slash.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-30 05:35 by oldschool.

Date: August 30, 2015 06:58

Exactly oldschool. And what's funnier is blaming Slash for how a record turned out. Have you listened to GNR records?! They are Axl written all over them. Thats why you got shit like My World tacked onto the end of Use Your Illusion, and a Charles Manson song (not shit, I actually really like it) similarly tacked onto The Spaghetti Incident. Songs the band didn't even know were on the records because Axl went and did them himself and snuck them onto the records because he had final say on them, not the band.

Izzy is Axl's longtime childhood friend. You think Slash was so powerful that he was able to get Axl on his side and say "we're erasing Izzy from this album" and Axl just sat there like a good boy saying "OK boss, whatever you say." @#$%& no. I don't know who's idea is one (probably mutual) but the bottom line is no one is solely responsible for Izzy not being on the Spaghetti Incident, and to assume it was Slash is just uneducated to the history of this band. If anything, Axl had to agree to it so your argument goes out the window there.

Its unfortunately so cliched to talk about how nice Slash is. It makes you seem like you're defending the most popular kid in school. But the bottom line is he deserves everything he has and he wasn't handed anything. He didn't grow up with a silver spoon, he grew up perfectly content and comfortable the same way most of us did. He wasn't a poser for an image. He made an image and it worked. The same way it worked for Keith Richards, the same way it worked for Jimmy Page, the same way it worked for everyone. Its why he's iconic. He stood out and he had the chops to back it. No, I'm not gonna say he's solely responsible for GNR being what they were. Thats insane. But the man is a hard worker, does whatever the hell he wants and usually succeeds. He's well liked in most circles because he's just a cool good guy. He's got great business sense, he's a great collaborator (working with everyone from Michael Jackson to a god damn cartoon Phineas and Ferb, which even as silly as it is he made a great rock song for), and he has immense talents. If anything, you could very easily say that GNR has never reunited because Slash is just too nice. He doesn't sit there and shit talk Axl. He praises him, as he should, and tries to be diplomatic when talking about a reunion. Which makes it all harder for Axl to just suck it up and admit he was wrong, or at least just admit its all in the past.

Date: August 30, 2015 14:17

AXL AND SLASH HAVE A BETTER RELATIONSHIP BUT DO NOT WORK TOGETHER"

Guns N 'Roses released a statement clarifying that Axl and Slahs will no longer work together.

They will be aware of the commotion that ensued following statements by Slash on reconciliation after many years with Axl Rose . The enthusiasm of the fans and speculation of a possible return to play together not long in coming.

Therefore, Guns N 'Roses through a statement out to calm the waters and put cold cloths to the situation.

"I just can talk about GNR GNR. All that happened here is that Axl and Slash are on better terms. Far be it for now plans to re-lock together. No need to fan the flames of any particular option at this point, "says categorical statement that is not the issue.

Meanwhile, Slash also addressed the issue on the agenda of Eddie Trunk. He argued that there was talk, but it was exaggerated by the media. Asked about the possibility of return, he said that he could not answer now asked not to talk about it anymore.
It seems clear. It is a resounding no, but only for now. In less than we thought more developments.

[estacionk2.co...bajaran-juntos]

BUT There are no statements on FB and twitter.
So I don't think this is an official statement from the band or from someone close to GNR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-30 14:18 by pepganzo.

Date: August 30, 2015 14:29

True.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: August 30, 2015 14:42

Kennedy

More ambitious than that. Slash's book said that Axl was trying to clone the STP 1972 tour. Extravagant afterparties and all.

Date: August 30, 2015 18:24

keefriffhard4life

John Tempesta was the drummer for White Zombie at the end of the band's career and worked with Rob Zombie, among other groups. He's been with The Cult since 2006 - the longest tenure of any other musician in that band.

Date: August 30, 2015 22:05

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life

John Tempesta was the drummer for White Zombie at the end of the band's career and worked with Rob Zombie, among other groups. He's been with The Cult since 2006 - the longest tenure of any other musician in that band.

thanks. was making sure we were talking about the same guy

OT - Guns 'N Roses - Reconciliation and Reuniting?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 15, 2015 18:50

They last performed all together 22 years ago.

But fans of Rock band Guns N' Roses were sent into overdrive on Friday after rumours of a possible reunion tour in 2016, which would see Axl Rose and Slash reunite, started circulating. Dish Nation reported that the band, famous for hits including Sweet Child O' Mine and Knockin' On Heaven's Door were just days away from announcing the gigs, while Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx claims it's definitely going ahead, saying to a fan on Twitter that the group are reuniting.

The report says the rockers will reunite to headline several festivals across Europe and the United States.

[Guns 'N Roses Reuniting]

From Entertainment Weekly - Eric Renner Brown

Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash jumpstarted the Guns N' Roses rumor mill earlier this year when he told a Swedish news outlet that he'd reconciled with the band's famous (and famously contentious) singer Axl Rose. "It was probably way overdue, you know," Slash said at the time, adding that he and Rose had dispelled "some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long."

Now some of the band's hard-rock peers have begun to speculate about a reunion -- or more accurately, a revival of the band's original lineup, considering that Rose still tours under the Guns N' Roses moniker. Excommunicated Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weilland told Alternative Nation Monday that he's heard the band is "getting back together." M?tley Cr?e bassist Nikki Sixx added to the conversation Thursday evening, when he responded to a fan on Twitter asking about a Roses reunion with an emphatic "THEY ARE. EVERYBODY KNOWS."

Re: OT - Guns 'N Roses - Reconciliation and Reuniting?
Date: November 15, 2015 19:03

I guess for for the past 27 years they've 'been getting their tattoos touched up.'

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home