Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
"From The Vaults: Live At Altamont?"
Posted by: wopperla ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:13

What do y'all think? This concert was recorded in multi-track by Bob & Betty for the Gimme Shelter movie. There were some smoking hot performances that day: "Gimme Shelter" - probably the BEST live version ever recorded by The Stones. Somebody released a compilation combining the edited version from the movie end credits with the edited out parts found on a bootleg. This version drips with dread and menace.Could The Stones ever mix and release this? How would they overcome the negative backlash? Donate proceeds to charity? This was also the concert that featured the world premiere of "Brown Sugar". What do all of you IORRers think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 21:10 by bv.

Re: "From The Vaults: Live At Altamont"
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:16

It was a good concert musically.

ps: Please change the name of this topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-21 00:19 by pepganzo.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:24

It would be a very welcomed release if it happens that's for sure. Might be worth adding a question mark after the title of this thread.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:27

Yeah, I'd love to hear this mixed well and released. I unfortunately also believe the experience was bad enough for most of the musicians and people close to the stage than the memories and mythologies that have grown up around the show will prevent it from ever seeing the light of day.

But, I think the historical significance of this show should be an important enough reason alone to release it and I really like your idea of donating the proceeds to charity to add some positive intention and turn an unfortunate outcome into a more positive one. I assume there are other performances besides the Stones which would be very interesting to hear mixed well too!

A small part of me does wonder if some dark juju is somehow captured in the recordings and releasing them might unleash a dark force into the world, but I guess I'd be willing to take that chance. winking smiley

I wish swiss was hear to weigh in on this one, she would certainly have an interesting opinion.

Date: August 21, 2015 00:32

Maybe you should add a question mark in the thread title? I was taken aback here now! smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:42

I doubt they would because it could be seen as being in bad taste to release and make money from a recording in which we hear the moments where someone was killed.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:50

I guess neither CS Blues movie ( beside those 10 minute snippets on Exile deluxe ) nor Altamont will ever be released .

Date: August 21, 2015 00:54

shortfatfanny
I guess neither CS Blues movie ( beside those 10 minute snippets on Exile deluxe ) nor Altamont will ever be released .

Atleast, not while Mick, maybe Keith, are still alive.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:55

I agree with His Majesty. I don't think they will release in any forseeable future because of the tragedies that happened. As heard on the audience recording (and seen in the movie), some of the songs are a butchered by the violent events and the Stones don't come out too good themselves.

It's a "complex" event ... some fantastic performances musically, some happy moments, a very historic event, first live performance of Brown Sugar ... but also tragic, messy, painful ...

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: August 21, 2015 01:53

Yeah, add a question mark to the title. Looks like it's an announcement of the next vault series.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 21, 2015 02:09

I would love to see it released - even a complete 69 show would be fine. However,
these may fall under the umbrella of ABKO. Seems to me the 69 HYDE park show
Show, which was just released, was allowed due to the original being a television
special which I assume means there were different copyrights involved.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 21, 2015 02:25

horrible idea. first of all i don't think any of the stones will ever be happy that anyone was killed in front of the stage at one of their shows, let alone some A-Hole that was asking for it.

second, mick could have easily been murdered. the so-called "rock press" shows their true cowardly colors when they blame this clusterfk entirely on the stones, and act like having a gun pointed at them is no big deal.

everyone in the band thought the '69 tour was very successful. any show from the american tour should highlight how successful the tour was for the stones.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 21, 2015 02:35

The best gift the Stones could give us (I'm just dreaming and it is likely it will happen) is a complete soundboard 69 show (minus overdubs). I would be happy for Detroit, Baltimore, or Boston- or better yet- all the shows from MSG in one box set.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 02:43

Don't overplay what happened there, many people have been killed or died at concerts, the only difference was that this was caught on film. I wonder if anybody has the figures from Woodstock, it wasn't all peace and love there either.

Date: August 21, 2015 02:56

Yes a horrible tragedy. I may have my facts wrong, and apologize if I do, but
my understanding is the man who was killed pulled his weapon to defend himself,
along with his girlfriend, from the "angels" who were harassing them. The man was
African American and the woman white. Of course this harassment is not necessarily a valid excuse to pull a gun but, if correct, contradicts the "angels" story of him pointing his gun at the stage and the "Angeles" were only trying to protect the band. Afterall, what motivation would this man have had for shooting at the band?

Date: August 21, 2015 03:09

The film shows quite clearly the man being stabbed in the back a number of times, he may have been carrying on like an idiot but only the people that were close to the event would really know, after all, Gimme Shelter was a film and probably edited to make things look more dramatic than they may have been.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2015 03:14

How many songs did they end up playing at Altamont, enough to fill an album?

It would be weird listening to the final song realizing that someone got killed a few minutes later.

Date: August 21, 2015 03:17

lapaz62
Don't overplay what happened there, many people have been killed or died at concerts, the only difference was that this was caught on film. I wonder if anybody has the figures from Woodstock, it wasn't all peace and love there either.

I don't think anyone was murdered at Woodstock and how many concert releases is it noticable that someone or people are being killed or dying?

The thing with Altamont is that the killing took place infront of the stage, it affects the concert, the incident will be audible on a release.

Date: August 21, 2015 03:18

Koen
How many songs did they end up playing at Altamont, enough to fill an album?

It would be weird listening to the final song realizing that someone got killed a few minutes later.

Killed during the concert, not the end.

Date: August 21, 2015 03:22

I don't remember during what song the man was killed. Seems it was early in the show according to the song order on boot. Maybe during sympathy - I think they
Had to stop and start that song."somthing funny always happens during this number" I think Mick said. Of course he did not realize how horrible the scene
Had become.

Date: August 21, 2015 03:25

lapaz62
The film shows quite clearly the man being stabbed in the back a number of times, he may have been carrying on like an idiot but only the people that were close to the event would really know, after all, Gimme Shelter was a film and probably edited to make things look more dramatic than they may have been.

Yes, the angel seems to be quite experienced in the "art" of stabbing.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 21, 2015 03:25

According to all accounts they played a brilliant set. Tragic about Hunter. According to Stanley Booth's book, the Angels were beating up on people for no reason so a black guy in a green suit with a cute blonde was a prime target. The gun may or may not have sealed his death warrant. With the appropriate respect in the liner notes, the Maysles' re-mastered, deluxe, etc. release of this show would be a great, complete document of an historic event in rock culture.

Date: August 21, 2015 03:29

lapaz62

The general consensus all these years later is that there were 3 deaths at Woodstock, 1 overdose, 1 person run over by a car while sleeping, and 1 person run over by a tractor. In terms of births the legend has it that there were also three but no one has ever come forth and been positively identified as a Woodstock baby and many have who have tried have proven to be false. Michael Lange say he heard 2 were born and apparently there was a confirmed birth in a car on the way to the festival. The search for these Woodstock babies goes on and you would think if there were actual births there they would have come forwards to capitalize on that fact, so I'm guessing it's mostly a myth.

The thing that seems to be true was there didn't seem to be any particular violence anywhere during the three day festival...except the on stage incident where Pete Townsend clobbered Abbie Hoffman with his guitar after Hoffman grabbed mic and started some free John Sinclair rant. Leave it to Pete to be the only violent one out of 500,000. Probably not all peace and love but certainly no Altamont. smoking smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 21, 2015 03:32

swimtothemoon
I don't remember during what song the man was killed. Seems it was early in the show according to the song order on boot. Maybe during sympathy - I think they
Had to stop and start that song."somthing funny always happens during this number" I think Mick said. Of course he did not realize how horrible the scene
Had become.

Wasn't it during Under My Thumb?

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 21, 2015 03:34

nothing against stanley booth, but he has a book to sell.

shorter version. the stones will NEVER revisit or release this show.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 21, 2015 03:35

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2015 03:40

It was during Under My Thumb.

A simple look on Google would tell anyone that if they had any interest in talking about what happened. But instead we get the usual 'it happened during SFTD' bullshit. What Mick said has nothing to do with anything, he was just talking to fill time. Nothing funny ever happened during that song that I've ever read ANYWHERE.

Regurgitating bad and ignorant press info about the death of a black man killed by the Angels is unforgivable.

Date: August 21, 2015 04:23

The film makes it look as though it was during Sympathy.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 04:28

Yes, it was recorded on 8-track (analogue) reels. The age of the tapes highlights an ongoing and increasingly unpleasant reality: analogue tapes, reel-to-reel and especially cassette, don't fare well. A few years ago I had to transfer audience tapes from '69-'70 from cassette to CD. I had to take apart the original cassettes and put them in a new housing. And I had to "bake" the reels. Sometimes only a few minutes would play; sometimes another few minutes would. Then I would have to edit them together, using Pro-Tools. This is a really heavy subject, because it's the musical history of our favorite band, and, if we don't put the effort forth to do it, then who will? I'm afraid that by the time the Stones do, it will be too late, or the recordings will be too time/money-consuming to restore. And by then, who will care?

Date: August 21, 2015 04:36

riffcliche69
Yes, it was recorded on 8-track (analogue) reels. The age of the tapes highlights an ongoing and increasingly unpleasant reality: analogue tapes, reel-to-reel and especially cassette, don't fare well. A few years ago I had to transfer audience tapes from '69-'70 from cassette to CD. I had to take apart the original cassettes and put them in a new housing. And I had to "bake" the reels. Sometimes only a few minutes would play; sometimes another few minutes would. Then I would have to edit them together, using Pro-Tools. This is a really heavy subject, because it's the musical history of our favorite band, and, if we don't put the effort forth to do it, then who will? I'm afraid that by the time the Stones do, it will be too late, or the recordings will be too time/money-consuming to restore. And by then, who will care?

Don't worry I sure The Stones are well aware of the problems associated with old magnetic tapes and have probably had archivists transferring old tapes to digital for quite some time for future reference.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home