Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: "From The Vaults: Live At Altamont"
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 21, 2015 04:38

lapaz62
The film makes it look as though it was during Sympathy.

It doesn't.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 21, 2015 05:01

listen to the entire show (bootleg) and you know it's a brilliant show...
The snippets of soundboard we have are excellent - SFTD, UMT, GS...plus the radio broadcast which is slightly better than the audio tape.

There was also n interesting snippet on Chris M's site years ago of Stray Cat Blues from the soundboard tape....so it's definately "out there" !
Maybe not as a "From The Vaults" release...but from the bootleggers at some point in time...(wishful thinking).

The Stones could do a great box set as mentioned above by Sighunt of the MSG shows...but we know how pathetic they are of delivering something like that..

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 21, 2015 05:15

Naturalust
The general consensus all these years later is that there were 3 deaths at Woodstock, 1 overdose, 1 person run over by a car while sleeping, and 1 person run over by a tractor. In terms of births the legend has it that there were also three but no one has ever come forth and been positively identified as a Woodstock baby and many have who have tried have proven to be false. Michael Lange say he heard 2 were born and apparently there was a confirmed birth in a car on the way to the festival. The search for these Woodstock babies goes on and you would think if there were actual births there they would have come forwards to capitalize on that fact, so I'm guessing it's mostly a myth.

The thing that seems to be true was there didn't seem to be any particular violence anywhere during the three day festival...except the on stage incident where Pete Townsend clobbered Abbie Hoffman with his guitar after Hoffman grabbed mic and started some free John Sinclair rant. Leave it to Pete to be the only violent one out of 500,000. Probably not all peace and love but certainly no Altamont. smoking smiley

I wished there was footage of Abbie getting hit by Pete, I worked on the Who documentary "The Kids Are Alright" and we found three sources for footage taken of the Woodstock show and no one had footage of Pete hitting Abbie. Pete has a slight history of being a little violent on stage, at a show at the Fillmore East years ago there was a fire next to the Fillmore and a firefighter came on stage during the Who's performance and Pete proceeded to kick the firefighter in the balls and off the stage!!! I'm not sure if Pete knew what was happening at the time.

As far as the Altamont Concert, there could be a chance the Audio could come out as a CD as there is a 16 track master of the whole show (stones show for sure). Bob & Betty were there to record The Grateful Dead, Stones had no plans at the time to record their show on 16 track at the time. They ended up using Bob & Betty recording truck to record the show at the last moment (since the Dead decided not to preform there was tape available to record on). The Maysles were just going to use there recording equipment to record the show. I have heard some of the 16track recordings of the Stones performance (100X better then any bootleg). As a documentary if using snippets ( a song or two & not the complete set) of various groups that played mixed with interviews of people who played there and fans that attended + private footage (I have about 160 minutes) from various people who were there, I believe a nice little documentary could be made and for not that much money (As compared to what big documentaries can get). I won't be there greatest but it would be nice to see at least something from probably one of the most famous festivals of all time. If it ever does happen let's hope it sooner then later so the fans that grew up with that show will be alive to see it. Wishful thinking "maybe"!!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 21, 2015 05:59

VideoJames
Naturalust
The general consensus all these years later is that there were 3 deaths at Woodstock, 1 overdose, 1 person run over by a car while sleeping, and 1 person run over by a tractor. In terms of births the legend has it that there were also three but no one has ever come forth and been positively identified as a Woodstock baby and many have who have tried have proven to be false. Michael Lange say he heard 2 were born and apparently there was a confirmed birth in a car on the way to the festival. The search for these Woodstock babies goes on and you would think if there were actual births there they would have come forwards to capitalize on that fact, so I'm guessing it's mostly a myth.

The thing that seems to be true was there didn't seem to be any particular violence anywhere during the three day festival...except the on stage incident where Pete Townsend clobbered Abbie Hoffman with his guitar after Hoffman grabbed mic and started some free John Sinclair rant. Leave it to Pete to be the only violent one out of 500,000. Probably not all peace and love but certainly no Altamont. smoking smiley

I wished there was footage of Abbie getting hit by Pete, I worked on the Who documentary "The Kids Are Alright" and we found three sources for footage taken of the Woodstock show and no one had footage of Pete hitting Abbie. Pete has a slight history of being a little violent on stage, at a show at the Fillmore East years ago there was a fire next to the Fillmore and a firefighter came on stage during the Who's performance and Pete proceeded to kick the firefighter in the balls and off the stage!!! I'm not sure if Pete knew what was happening at the time.

As far as the Altamont Concert, there could be a chance the Audio could come out as a CD as there is a 16 track master of the whole show (stones show for sure). Bob & Betty were there to record The Grateful Dead, Stones had no plans at the time to record their show on 16 track at the time. They ended up using Bob & Betty recording truck to record the show at the last moment (since the Dead decided not to preform there was tape available to record on). The Maysles were just going to use there recording equipment to record the show. I have heard some of the 16track recordings of the Stones performance (100X better then any bootleg). As a documentary if using snippets ( a song or two & not the complete set) of various groups that played mixed with interviews of people who played there and fans that attended + private footage (I have about 160 minutes) from various people who were there, I believe a nice little documentary could be made and for not that much money (As compared to what big documentaries can get). I won't be there greatest but it would be nice to see at least something from probably one of the most famous festivals of all time. If it ever does happen let's hope it sooner then later so the fans that grew up with that show will be alive to see it. Wishful thinking "maybe"!!

Pete has said in interviews that he hated Woodstock. I think he is the only person I have heard admit this. Most performers and attendees seem to rave about
How peacefull, etc. the show was.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 21, 2015 06:02

Classic story about Pete at the Fillmore James! He certainly was protective of his stage!

Who owns the tapes of the Altamont recordings? Are they is the Stones vault? I can just imagine how good a modern mix from those 16 track tapes would sound! When you heard them were they from tape copies of the multitracks or rough stereo mixes made from them or perhaps the material had been digitized? Thanks.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 06:10

The band should have never taken the stage that night. They know this and want to forget it ever happened.

Date: August 21, 2015 06:14

GasLightStreet
It was during Under My Thumb.

A simple look on Google would tell anyone that if they had any interest in talking about what happened. But instead we get the usual 'it happened during SFTD' bullshit. What Mick said has nothing to do with anything, he was just talking to fill time. Nothing funny ever happened during that song that I've ever read ANYWHERE.

Regurgitating bad and ignorant press info about the death of a black man killed by the Angels is unforgivable.

The film gives the impression Under My Thumb is used to try and settle down the crowd. Sort of a unforgettable bit of footage where the camera operator is
focusing on a guy standing on the side of the stage - not very far from Mick.
This guy looked like he was about ready to "blow a gasket". The shot of him
contorting goes on for a long time until a "Angel" takes care of him in their own special way.

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 06:58

I really want to give a "shout out" to VideoJames. His contributions to iorr in particular, and to documentation in general, of The Rolling Stones, will be measured not only in the present, but also in decades to come. As someone who spent years as a translator of foreign news articles, I can well understand his frustration at "the powers that be" when they don't recognize the dedication that archivists (often uncompensated) put into their craft.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 21, 2015 08:20

riffcliche69
I really want to give a "shout out" to VideoJames. His contributions to iorr in particular, and to documentation in general, of The Rolling Stones, will be measured not only in the present, but also in decades to come. As someone who spent years as a translator of foreign news articles, I can well understand his frustration at "the powers that be" when they don't recognize the dedication that archivists (often uncompensated) put into their craft.

Thanks for the compliments, but I also learned a lot from many of people that post on IORR. Plus I always appreciate all the updates on all things Rolling Stones that gets posted. Plus I have met Bjornulf over the years at various Stones concerts etc. and found him to be a fantastic Rolling Stones fan and very wonderful person, so I enjoy going to this site that he has put together and reading things and adding things when and if I can.
Oh! one little tibbit about the Altamont set list, besides the fact that they played Brown Sugar at Altamont. They did the song "The Sun Is Shining" (Reed) was not on the set list or planned to be but was done on the spot because of Mick Taylor, he was the one that got the band to play it, after all the chaos happening in the audience and he wanted to cool things out with that song. He had also suggested earlier to the band (before they went on stage) that they play Brown Sugar. "source for this was a conversation I had with MT back in 1980's when we onced talked about the Altamont concert."

Date: August 21, 2015 08:27

VideoJames
riffcliche69

Thanks for the compliments, but I also learned a lot from many of people that post on IORR. Plus I always appreciate all the updates on all things Rolling Stones that gets posted. Plus I have met Bjornulf over the years at various Stones concerts etc. and found him to be a fantastic Rolling Stones fan and very wonderful person, so I enjoy going to this site that he has put together and reading things and adding things when and if I can.
Oh! one little tibbit about the Altamont set list, besides the fact that they played Brown Sugar at Altamont. They did the song "The Sun Is Shining" (Reed) was not on the set list or planned to be but was done on the spot because of Mick Taylor, he was the one that got the band to play it, after all the chaos happening in the audience and he wanted to cool things out with that song. He had also suggested earlier to the band (before they went on stage) that they play Brown Sugar. "source for this was a conversation I had with MT back in 1980's when we onced talked about the Altamont concert."

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2015 09:15

His Majesty
Koen
How many songs did they end up playing at Altamont, enough to fill an album?

It would be weird listening to the final song realizing that someone got killed a few minutes later.

Killed during the concert, not the end.

Never knew that, thanks. I always thought they left in their helicopters after the stabbing occured. At least that's how I interpreted it after watching Gimme Shelter a long time ago.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2015 09:16

lapaz62

So you haven't seen the film. Perhaps you should watch it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2015 09:24

swimtothemoon
GasLightStreet

A simple look on Google would tell anyone that if they had any interest in talking about what happened. But instead we get the usual 'it happened during SFTD' bullshit. What Mick said has nothing to do with anything, he was just talking to fill time. Nothing funny ever happened during that song that I've ever read ANYWHERE.

Regurgitating bad and ignorant press info about the death of a black man killed by the Angels is unforgivable.

The film gives the impression Under My Thumb is used to try and settle down the crowd. Sort of a unforgettable bit of footage where the camera operator is
contorting goes on for a long time until a "Angel" takes care of him in their own special way.

The film does not give "the impression Under My Thumb is used to try and settle down the crowd". That makes zero sense. Under My Thumb was played on the tour usually preceded by Love In Vain but also on some nights You Gotta Move with occasional following I'm Free and or Prodigal Son. It wasn't played to "settle down the crowd".

What is with the 'impression' in this misleadingly titled thread about the movie? First it was "makes it look as though it was during Sympathy" and now this.

Date: August 21, 2015 09:44

Koen
His Majesty
Koen
How many songs did they end up playing at Altamont, enough to fill an album?

It would be weird listening to the final song realizing that someone got killed a few minutes later.

Killed during the concert, not the end.

Never knew that, thanks. I always thought they left in their helicopters after the stabbing occured. At least that's how I interpreted it after watching Gimme Shelter a long time ago.

if you listen awfully carefully during the helicopter stretcher scene in GS, you can "just" hear Live With Me...

Date: August 21, 2015 10:10

GasLightStreet
swimtothemoon
GasLightStreet

The film does not give "the impression Under My Thumb is used to try and settle down the crowd". That makes zero sense. Under My Thumb was played on the tour usually preceded by Love In Vain but also on some nights You Gotta Move with occasional following I'm Free and or Prodigal Son. It wasn't played to "settle down the crowd".

What is with the 'impression' in this misleadingly titled thread about the movie? First it was "makes it look as though it was during Sympathy" and now this.
Well I didn't plan on an argument and I do realize Under My Thumb was played
as part of the 69 setlist. As for the rest I will watch the film again but my
recollection is Jagger even changes the lyric in the closing of the song as
an attempt to calm the chaois at Altamont. As far as when the stabbing occurred,I was referring to the impression the film gave me. This may or may not be the actual facts. No offense was intended.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 10:49

Would love to see it come out.

Its goes down as probably one of the most significant concerts of all time imho.

Date: August 21, 2015 10:50

Eleanor Rigby
listen to the entire show (bootleg) and you know it's a brilliant show...
The snippets of soundboard we have are excellent - SFTD, UMT, GS...plus the radio broadcast which is slightly better than the audio tape.

There was also n interesting snippet on Chris M's site years ago of Stray Cat Blues from the soundboard tape....so it's definately "out there" !
Maybe not as a "From The Vaults" release...but from the bootleggers at some point in time...(wishful thinking).

The Stones could do a great box set as mentioned above by Sighunt of the MSG shows...but we know how pathetic they are of delivering something like that..

Brilliant show indeed! But perhaps the slowest JJF ever, Echoplex included smiling smiley

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 11:08

His Majesty
lapaz62

It doesn't.

[youtu.be]

Yes, Crossfire Hurricane was on TV a few days ago, got my films mixed up.

Posted by: lenchik ()
Date: August 21, 2015 11:22

Well, there is some Altamont footage available here - [www.eai.org]

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 11:50

GasLightStreet
lapaz62

So you haven't seen the film. Perhaps you should watch it.

Just a simple mistake, but thanks for your rudeness anyway. It was this film ( Crossfire Hurricane ). I was thinking of, about 6 mins in on this clip.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-21 11:58 by lapaz62.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 21, 2015 12:40

They would come in for criticism I think if they released it.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 21, 2015 12:52

GasLightStreet

I agree, I had to leave during Sympathy in '76 to catch the last tube train, that wasn't funny at all................

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 21, 2015 14:38

lapaz62
His Majesty
lapaz62

It doesn't.

[youtu.be]

Yes, Crossfire Hurricane was on TV a few days ago, got my films mixed up.

thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 21, 2015 14:55

never mind Altamont, release a box set of the garden shows

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 21, 2015 15:00

During this concert Meredith Hunter was stabbed to death. Is it right to release such an event?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 21, 2015 15:33

Please change the name of this topic! I almost had a heart attack.

Altamont is the holy grail... The opening with JJF. in half tempo is just epic.
Best version of Stray Cat Blues and Under my thumb. Sympathy...

Date: August 21, 2015 16:32

Agreed...change the thread title !
Very misleading...and depressing when thinking the holy grail was next in line!!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 21, 2015 18:32

Sighunt
The best gift the Stones could give us (I'm just dreaming and it is likely it will happen) is a complete soundboard 69 show (minus overdubs). I would be happy for Detroit, Baltimore, or Boston- or better yet- all the shows from MSG in one box set.

Agreed!

Date: August 21, 2015 18:48

GasLightStreet
swimtothemoon
GasLightStreet

they were of course planning to play under my thumb, as you pointed out they'd played it all tour long. there is a point in the concert where keith plays "chill out" music (stanley booth's term?) and that must be what the poster was trying to get at.

it is truly amazing how many people feel able to comment on the events and what the movie shows without apparently having been there or even watched the movie carefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-21 18:55 by Turner68.

Date: August 21, 2015 18:50

RobertJohnson
During this concert Meredith Hunter was stabbed to death. Is it right to release such an event?

i think that's a good question, however the film of the murder was released, 40 years ago, so it is a question that has been answered by some people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-21 18:58 by Turner68.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home