Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Phil Collins
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 20, 2015 01:41

I used to like Genesis a lot and I was just tooling around the internet, wondering what Phil is up to. I was sorry to hear about his medical issues but shocked to learn that he seems to be extraordinarily disliked. What's the deal with this? I feel badly for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 09:21 by bv.

Re: Phil Collins
Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 03:09

Some people just live love to hate. Like all of the nutjobs who go on and on about hating Chuck or Matt. Phil, Chuck and Matt seem like nice guys who never did anything awful that I have heard of, but they are publicly successful and haters latch on and spew the hate and then other haters jump on the hate wagon.

Here is part of the story on Phil (from one source) for anyone who hasnt been paying attention.

Stay healthy Phil and keep on keeping on.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 03:21

Very sad article. Anyone who has dealt with addicts will know what I mean. I wish him well when he is ready to recover.

Re: OT: Phil Collins
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 20, 2015 11:28

I always think of Phil Collins as the guy who turned Genesis from brilliant to awful in the 80s.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 20, 2015 12:52

HMS
I always think of Phil Collins as the guy who turned Genesis from brilliant to awful in the 80s.

I always thought Tony Banks was to blame for that.
Anyway, I think mister Collins is to be respected for his life time achievements and
I wish him only goodness.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:05

Intressting drum-sound on his first 2 LPs with quite nice songs and voice from Phil...sad that he had to leave Music because of Health-problems....

A couple of Genesis-albums with Phil as a singer is also brilliant stuff...

Tony Banks...Robertsons criminal-detective-character...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:13

Peter Gabriel was the real talent in Genesis.
He has been an innovative musician and performer and championed world music.
He's not in it for the money...has risked a lot financially and not taken the safe
route, unlike so many of his peer group.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:25

I had a lot of respect for Phil Collins as a drummer - until Live Aid w/ "the artists formerly known as Led Zeppelin". What a shock!

His pop music is not of my taste. But I got my troubles with 80ies pop music in particular, so it´s not "his fault". It´s just plain boring radio lala to me, highly polished rubbish.

I don´t wish him any bad - I just avoid his music that came after "Mama".

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:54

An awesome drummer.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 20, 2015 15:58

Always liked ""More Fool Me" he did on the Genesis album "Selling England By The Pound".

Well wishes to him.

Date: August 20, 2015 16:00

Fillmore
I had a lot of respect for Phil Collins as a drummer - until Live Aid w/ "the artists formerly known as Led Zeppelin". What a shock!

His pop music is not of my taste. But I got my troubles with 80ies pop music in particular, so it´s not "his fault". It´s just plain boring radio lala to me, highly polished rubbish.

I don´t wish him any bad - I just avoid his music that came after "Mama".

The Led Zep disaster at Live Aid was certainly not Collins's fault smiling smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 20, 2015 16:49

jlowe
Peter Gabriel was the real talent in Genesis.
He has been an innovative musician and performer and championed world music.
He's not in it for the money...has risked a lot financially and not taken the safe
route, unlike so many of his peer group.

True thumbs up

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 17:15

Don't like his voice, nor his drumming. Can't stand his songs, come to think of it... Sorry, Phil!

Pete.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 20, 2015 17:40

In the Air Tonight is a killer song. Really great.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2015 17:46

everwest1
Some people just live love to hate. Like all of the nutjobs who go on and on about hating Chuck or Matt. Phil, Chuck and Matt seem like nice guys who never did anything awful that I have heard of, but they are publicly successful and haters latch on and spew the hate and then other haters jump on the hate wagon.

Here is part of the story on Phil (from one source) for anyone who hasnt been paying attention.

Holy crap! I knew he had physical health issues but hadn't heard a word about the drinking problem. That's certainly understandable, the family leaving and feeling empty and filling that up with wine and booze.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:05

In May 2015 Collins signed a deal with Warner Music Group to remaster his eight solo albums and release unreleased material in his music vault.[104]

....oh god, we have this to look forward to????eye rolling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:11

steffialicia
I was (...) shocked to learn that he seems to be extraordinarily disliked. What's the deal with this? I feel badly for him.

One word is the answer : Sussudio! confused smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I think ppl dislike him so much because they see a guy that went from Genesis to some (extremely) radio-friendly vapid pop music.

Imagine David Gilmour leaving Pink Floyd to join Stock Aitken ad Waterman and release pop rubbish after pop rubbish.

Music fans would resent that, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 18:19 by dcba.

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:13

My stomach was turned when I tuned into the documentary he made on the Funk Brothers Motown players...he brought them over to his studio and put something together. It was absolute rubbish as he basically treated them like second class citizens and put himself on a pedestal. Really turned me off and I agree his pop was brutal don't like his voice and songs were just...well...crap. Perhaps he was a good drummer just couldnt get by the rest to check it out.

Having said all that wish no ill health to anyone get better Phil!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:18

Never really liked his solo stuff but he was an excellent front man for Genesis.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:36

He sterilized Clapton in the the studio during the mid-'80's.

With that said, I did like some of his tunes with Genesis and some solo stuff,
but his collaboration with the Philip Bailey (Easy Lover) and the video of it was as lame as they come.
It was hard to escape some of that crap during the MTV era, as it was force fed endlessly.
He also tainted the Supremes' Cant Hurry Love - a mockery.

My sister had a spare ticket for me to see Genesis at Dodger stadium in the mid-80's (?) and it was terrible.
At one point Phil Collins belittled everyone in the crowd who didn't participate in a sing along and clap their hands in unison.
This went on for about 10 minutes - he's an idiot!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:09

HMS

You are right. Banks had more to do with that than anybody else.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:32

everwest1

You're confusing being nice with making good music. No one on hear is judging whether someone is a nice guy or not. The fact that the music Phil made is absolutely awful has absolutely nothing to do with whether he is nice or not. I wish him no ill will I just wish I'd never heard any of his songs.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: August 21, 2015 00:47

Phil Collins... thumbs down. OT out of time.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: August 21, 2015 01:14

I think it's his appearance. especially his hair ..... or more specifically his lack of hair...as well as his FM/AOR friendly pop music. People like some sort of "edge" to their Rock/Pop musicians and he just seemed to lack any of that...in spades. He looked too much like the friend your mother liked best. too clean, too polite, too successful....you name it. He was a fine singer/songwriter et.al. but he seemed to define everything that was sickeningly saccharine about pop music at that time. I'm sure he laughed about that all the way to the bank. He certainly didn't move Rock/Pop music "forward" in any way.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 21, 2015 01:24

Mediocre rubbish

Nate

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 21, 2015 01:39

DandelionPowderman

The Led Zep disaster at Live Aid was certainly not Collins's fault smiling smiley

No it was not and he always said how embarrased he was and wanted to leave, but that would have been worst.

I dont like his music and I am big fan of Gabriel's Genesis but as a person Phil seems to be a very nice guy. Someone said that Tony Banks is to blame for the grouop becoming a pop group and he's right.

Date: August 21, 2015 01:51

I don't remember LiveAid Led Zep disaster...I'll have to check it out.

Date: August 21, 2015 02:06

Just watched Been A Long Time, or whatever it's called. IMO, Phil was the least of their problems.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 21, 2015 02:11

Quit dissing Phil...or else I'll have ta...

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 21, 2015 02:17

If there was legit reason to hate on Phil it would be different. If he was an Axl Rose type of idiot (e.g. diving into the audience turning a show into a riot typr of stuff it would be different) but I dont recall Phil ever doing anything to deserve the hate he gets. And I say all of this as someone who never much liked Genesis or Phils's solo stuff, I like Guns and Raisens kickass rock and roll a lot more.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home