Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones music in unexpected places
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2015 01:40

Tonight I was at the grocery store after work and suddenly heard a raunchy live version of Satisfaction coming through the sound system. It sounded recent, but no idea from where. Picking out fruit was suddenly much more pleasant, I was floating through the store for a couple of minutes.

They must have a big Stones fan working at that store smoking smiley

Re: Stones music in unexpected places
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 19, 2015 01:46

Stones music is like Disneyland and Vegas these days...a family affair. It isn't the radical rock and roll for the dangerous youth it once was. It's the music of the ruling class. smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 03:22

Koen
Tonight I was at the grocery store after work and suddenly heard a raunchy live version of Satisfaction coming through the sound system. It sounded recent, but no idea from where. Picking out fruit was suddenly much more pleasant, I was floating through the store for a couple of minutes.

my local coffee house was blasting a stones song - i think start me up - the other day. very unusual because it's got that artsy/indy cafe vibe, more folk music and less rock and roll. i walked up to the cashier and barista and said something along the lines of "man you guys are rocking today, right on", and they sheepishly apologized, saying "yeah, it's our music streaming service, we have no control over what it plays". definitely made the last minute and 1/2 of start me up less fun to listen to.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 19, 2015 03:32

Turner68
Koen

my local coffee house was blasting a stones song - i think start me up - the other day. very unusual because it's got that artsy/indy cafe vibe, more folk music and less rock and roll. i walked up to the cashier and barista and said something along the lines of "man you guys are rocking today, right on", and they sheepishly apologized, saying "yeah, it's our music streaming service, we have no control over what it plays". definitely made the last minute and 1/2 of start me up less fun to listen to.

I can understand her apologizing for SMU, she probably would have agreed if GS was playing. winking smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 20, 2015 00:19

I can vividly recall the shock I felt upon hearing 'Jumping Jack Flash' on BBC Radio 1 a decade or so ago. That was certainly unexpected.

Olly.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: August 29, 2015 03:54

I work at a thoroughbred racetrack, where Frank Sinatra, Billy Joel, and various traditional tunes played on bugle are the usual audio background. Don't know who was at the controls today, but "Gimme Shelter" made it on to the playlist. A welcome change!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 29, 2015 07:52

I remember in July of 1992, walking with my wife and daughters along Vitosha Boulevard in Sofia, Bulgaria, when we came upon 2 street musicians playing guitars and singing Out of Time. They were very good, and I enjoyed listening to them.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 08:10

I was in Prague in 94 drinking at
A Table Of Czechs who didn't speak English and I didn't speak Czech
I mentioned the stones and the whole table
Went wild. We got really drunk and sang stones song for a good part of the night
It was a universal language
Whenever I hear "love is strong" I hear it in my head being sung by 7 out of tune Czechs and me the out of of tune American.
In retrospect I feel sorry for the other tables haha

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 29, 2015 08:43

Tell Me (You're Coming Back) in Toronto Chinese supermarket.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 29, 2015 08:46

The Lincoln Tunnel...

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 09:02

Koen

thumbs up Hearing a Stones in the grocery store indeed makes shopping more fun, been there, it is always great to hear unexpected Stones anytime I am not the one who put it on. And a good rendition of Sympathy coming through the car radio always makes the ride better.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 29, 2015 10:19

My local bookstore was playing Out of Our Heads (US) the last time I was there -
the very young cashier agreed it was cool music for a change.

A few years ago I spent the night in a salt cave 250 meters underground -
that was a pretty unexpected place to hear Satanic Majesties and Let It Bleed,
even though I was the one who brought them. Sounded absolutely brilliant in that extreme dark ...

... and when I got back to the surface the first tune playing in the internet cafe I went to was
Anybody seeeeeeen myyyyyyy baby - yes! Here I am! I was underground! Sweet of you to worry! :E

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 29, 2015 16:55

I live right next door to a Wegmans and many times when I go there at night they are playing Stones music, and not the hits. They mostly play full albums after 1981. Some night manager is a huge Stones fan.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 29, 2015 19:39

The other day in Ohrid in a souvenir shop lots of Stones'songs have been played, among them Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow. I was passing by and I faked interest in the items sold in order to listen to them. And on my way back, at the bus station, "Dancing In The Streets" by David Bowie and Mick Jagger was played full volume from I don't know where!

Date: August 29, 2015 19:56

Turner68
I was in Prague in 94 drinking at
A Table Of Czechs who didn't speak English and I didn't speak Czech
I mentioned the stones and the whole table
Went wild. We got really drunk and sang stones song for a good part of the night
It was a universal language
Whenever I hear "love is strong" I hear it in my head being sung by 7 out of tune Czechs and me the out of of tune American.
In retrospect I feel sorry for the other tables haha

thumbs up

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 29, 2015 20:22

In a tiny cafe in sleepy Martha's Vineyard, Full of up market artistic types - at breakfast - suddenly Gimme shelter,followed by sympathy for the devil and then back to Vivaldi - surreal.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 30, 2015 00:19

The last song I heard Stones in my grocery store was a solo song from Mick Jagger actually I heard it a few times.......I really don't know the name of the song....

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 30, 2015 02:31

Wild Slivovitz
The other day in Ohrid in a souvenir shop lots of Stones'songs have been played, among them Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow. I was passing by and I faked interest in the items sold in order to listen to them. And on my way back, at the bus station, "Dancing In The Streets" by David Bowie and Mick Jagger was played full volume from I don't know where!

I was in Ohrid a few years back in late May. It was so beautiful and warm. In the evening, so many people out and about near the waterfront. I would love to return someday with my wife.

Posted by: theo1954 ()
Date: August 30, 2015 11:59

Travelling through India back in 1979 my mate and I walked into a restaurant on Christmas Eve somewhere in de South because they played the IORR album.Nobody there,just five waiters grinning.We went in and danced the album away,had a meal,and left with a big smile on our faces.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 30, 2015 12:07

I know I've mentioned this before, but a few years ago they were filming a costume drama in Richmond Theatre, and during a break the Green was full of extras in elegant Victorian evening dress, strolling around to the strains of Gimme Shelter blasting at full volume from the back of one of the techies' vans. Surreal.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 7, 2015 23:54

This afternoon, on the shore of Lake Ontario at the Air Show, watching the CF-18 Hornet in a crazy fast, low, inverted pass with Satisfaction slamming out of the speakers. grinning smiley

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:37

In a store elevator, Angie rendered in Muzak style, literally elevator music. I forget the city, though.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: September 8, 2015 01:45

Naturalust
Stones music is like Disneyland and Vegas these days...a family affair. It isn't the radical rock and roll for the dangerous youth it once was. It's the music of the ruling class. smoking smiley

True my friend.
+1

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 15:49

"Neighbours" in my apartment, pretty loud, open windows.

Date: September 8, 2015 16:20

I heard 'Happy' at a sporting goods store yesterday.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 8, 2015 17:08

Many years ago, in the late 80's, travelling by interrail, and walking through the Albaicin neighbourhood of Granada in the afternoon, with a blaring hot sun and the smell of..., well Spain..., all of a sudden I heard "Little Red Rooster" by the Stones coming out of a window.
It was an almost spiritual experience.

Date: September 15, 2015 03:07

I take a lot of exercise classes where they play up tempo versions of popular songs. Sometimes you hear some Bee Gees or Beatles, but never the Stones.
There's this one instructor who I try to avoid - he's really loud and does nothing but arm work cause he's proud of his huge biceps. So today, I'm in my Pilates class, in the back of the room, near the wall separating my class from Mr. Biceps class. We're doing some relaxation stretching and who's that I hear through the wall? Mick Jagger singing Miss You. I think I need to give the guy another chance.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 15, 2015 17:58

latebloomer
I take a lot of exercise classes where they play up tempo versions of popular songs. Sometimes you hear some Bee Gees or Beatles, but never the Stones.
... We're doing some relaxation stretching and who's that I hear through the wall? Mick Jagger singing Miss You. I think I need to give the guy another chance.

come to the gym i attend! each instructor has their own specialite de la maison as far as music goes, but one of them always includes start me up, street fighting man, and honky tonk women

(during classes, we're supposed to be focusing on our own moves through the exercises, but i've caught him doing jagger-type moves while these are playing, so i keep an eye peeled for that)

he once put on ycagwyw after class, so i had to linger to hear it through. (and one time in an almost empty class, i requested stupid girl, and got it!) (but, since i requested the song, i suppose this last shouldn't have been exactly unexpected for me)

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 15, 2015 18:47

The Stones are pretty much the most mainstream rock and roll band there is. These places listed aren't "unexpected".

How about hearing Brown Sugar blaring from a Buddhist temple?

Date: September 15, 2015 19:56

CloudCat
latebloomer
... We're doing some relaxation stretching and who's that I hear through the wall? Mick Jagger singing Miss You. I think I need to give the guy another chance.

come to the gym i attend! each instructor has their own specialite de la maison as far as music goes, but one of them always includes start me up, street fighting man, and honky tonk women

(during classes, we're supposed to be focusing on our own moves through the exercises, but i've caught him doing jagger-type moves while these are playing, so i keep an eye peeled for that)

he once put on ycagwyw after class, so i had to linger to hear it through. (and one time in an almost empty class, i requested stupid girl, and got it!) (but, since i requested the song, i suppose this last shouldn't have been exactly unexpected for me)

Heck cloud, no one even notices when I wear my stones tees to class, so I think I'm on my own there...other than Mr. big biceps. Next tour, we'll have to organize a city by city class for IORR members, featuring all Stones music. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home