Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: What's the best track by the Stones and say Why please
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 23:48

its amazing how many opinions from rolling stones fans differ so much a lot of the time.

some people love certain songs or albums while some hate them, just wondering if there is any other rock group which divides opnion as much as the stones do.

i love let it loose and have considered it in the past to be the best rolling stones song, its deffo up there in my top 5 along with jigsaw puzzle, brown sugar, paint it black and jj flash.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 23:54

keefriffhards
LongBeachArena72
mickschix
I'm so glad I had back-up on my " review" of " Let It Loose"...it is undeniably other-worldly!!! Channeling for sure! And I agree, that's why they never attempted it LIVE! Great responses Naturalust & Longbeacharena!

As we know, Sir Michael has become expert at "saving his voice," in order to allow him to perform for 2+ hrs twice a week in his 70's. More power to him.

But I wonder, if he were to warm up, sing some scales, run in place, and then walk on stage to sing "Let it Loose," under the conditions that it was the only song he had to sing that night and that he could rest for a month afterwards ... could he do it? Would he still have the chops to at least make a reasonable attempt? Or might it suck anyhow due to no Nicky and no Taylor?

Don't want to break up the party but this let it loose is terrible to my ears
Just played it to the family and they are all in agreement
No offence but its fascinating how one person can love something so much and another just cant bear to hear it.
Don't take this as an insult, its just interesting to me.
There really is no such thing as good or bad music, its just subjective
Its in the ear of the beholder if you like

no offense taken.

there are few absolute truths in art.

one of them is that "let it loose" is awesome.

another is that movies based on comic books suck.

there are about 11 more of these but those are the two that stuck right out.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 25, 2015 23:54

buttons67
its amazing how many opinions from rolling stones fans differ so much a lot of the time.

some people love certain songs or albums while some hate them, just wondering if there is any other rock group which divides opnion as much as the stones do.

i love let it loose and have considered it in the past to be the best rolling stones song, its deffo up there in my top 5 along with jigsaw puzzle, brown sugar, paint it black and jj flash.

Are we talking about the same one from Exile
I have passed that song on the album since i got it in 83' and now i skip it on the cd
It does have something i like but not the vocal
I guess im not making any friends with my comments but i have to be honest

Really sorry guys i just gave it another listen. I'm just not hearing it, even though Keith wrote it.
I do like the weird leslie speaker guitar sound though

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 00:08 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 26, 2015 01:54

KEEFRIFFSHARD, I think your Name tells us why you are not a fan of " Let It Loose" and I truly take no offense at personal taste in songs....BUT, I think that real Mick fans will be more apt to love this song than say Keith fans who will prefer " You Got The Silver" ...just an example. For me, the sound of Mick's tremendous honesty is so powerful in this song that it will forever move me. To say that anyone would skip this song is not something I can imagine but that's my perspective.
And LONGBEACH, I think under those conditions that you mentioned, I believe Mick would NAIL this song even now at 72! I know he does save his voice and he knows how to not strain the pipes..he has had vocal coaches for years. I sure would pay a lot to hear him sing Let It Loose!! ( maybe NOT if it were the ONLY song on the set list however!)

Date: August 26, 2015 02:20

mickschix
KEEFRIFFSHARD, I think your Name tells us why you are not a fan of " Let It Loose" and I truly take no offense at personal taste in songs....BUT, I think that real Mick fans will be more apt to love this song than say Keith fans who will prefer " You Got The Silver" ...just an example. For me, the sound of Mick's tremendous honesty is so powerful in this song that it will forever move me. To say that anyone would skip this song is not something I can imagine but that's my perspective.
And LONGBEACH, I think under those conditions that you mentioned, I believe Mick would NAIL this song even now at 72! I know he does save his voice and he knows how to not strain the pipes..he has had vocal coaches for years. I sure would pay a lot to hear him sing Let It Loose!! ( maybe NOT if it were the ONLY song on the set list however!)

Yeah you got me there, i'm a keith nut, but i have loved Micks performances since LSTNT live in 81'
He is without doubt the best performer the world has ever seen. Even at 72
But i prefer him singing That's How Strong My Love Is like he did on the Live Licks tour DVD
ALSO Ive Been Loving You Too Long, and Wild Horses on stripped
Its not Mick i have a beef with its his followers who seem to hate all things Keith while saying they love the Stones
In all honesty how can you love the Stones without realising its a team effort from Mick and Keith that creates the legend
Why the Keith hatred from so many Mick fanatics
Most Keith fans also appreciate Mick's genius

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 26, 2015 02:39

keefriffhards
Its not Mick i have a beef with its his followers who seem to hate all things Keith while saying they love the Stones
In all honesty how can you love the Stones without realising its a team effort from Mick and Keith that creates the legend

LOL. You should probably listen to your own advice here my friend and just accept that there are a lot of opinions here and not let ones from people who are Mick-centric bother you so much. I personally haven't really heard what you describe as Keith hatred on this site at all. I think you may be reacting a bit harshly here and even projecting your own feelings about the whole Keith vs. Mick thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I think tolerance for all opinions might be healthier for your state of mind. BTW: Remember it's Mick playing the intro (and rhythm) guitar on Sway! Ha!

And also Let it Loose is as much of a Keith song as a Mick song. He provides that great guitar structure which the whole song is built on. Sorry you don't get that one, Let it Loose is a masterpiece! Keith also came up with the opening line "who's that woman on your arm, all dressed up to do you harm". Just letting you know in case you want to change your mind. winking smiley

Date: August 26, 2015 02:45

Naturalust
keefriffhards

LOL. You should probably listen to your own advice here my friend and just accept that there are a lot of opinions here and not let ones from people who are Mick-centric bother you so much. I personally haven't really heard what you describe as Keith hatred on this site at all. I think you may be reacting a bit harshly here and even projecting your own feelings about the whole Keith vs. Mick thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I think tolerance for all opinions might be healthier for your state of mind. BTW: Remember it's Mick playing the intro (and rhythm) guitar on Sway! Ha!

And also Let it Loose is as much of a Keith song as a Mick song. He provides that great guitar structure which the whole song is built on. Sorry you don't get that one, Let it Loose is a masterpiece! Keith also came up with the opening line "who's that woman on your arm, all dressed up to do you harm". Just letting you know in case you want to change your mind. winking smiley

I already said earlier that i don't like the song even though Keith wrote it.
I also said i like the Leslie speaker weird guitar sound on it
Will you ever get your facts right just one time concerning me

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 26, 2015 03:06

KEEF. I do love those Mick vocals that you mentioned. Mick's vocals on STRIPPED is unusually great all the way through. Wild Horse, my other favorite song, is exceptional there. I think that before Keith's book, LIFE, the two camp thing was less obvious. After that, some real hostility emerged....I admit to being very pissed at the " tiny todger" remark" finding it crude and ridiculously unkind....not to mention false. But you are right that if you are a Stones fan, deep down you must KNOW that both Mick & Keith are the essence of the band and to really bash one or the other is nonsense. I am guilty of a bit of Keith bashing but I really do love the guy. I also like getting a rise out of Keith campers!
And Naturalust is absolutely right. Tolerance is crucial! We all know that the band would not exist without BOTH Mick and Keith....there's a pretty good argument for Charlie as a crucial component to! You've gotta love Charlie! ( I am not slighting Ronnie because I love him too but I think the band could exist with another guitarist in his place..and really I don't want that to happen!

Date: August 26, 2015 03:12

keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Still time to change your mind on that one. grinning smiley I of course was joking somewhat here knowing your love for all most things Keith. I do stand by my assertion that there has been very little or no Keith hatred expressed on the board from Mick fanatics. I think we've heard more bitching about it from you than any disparaging comments about Keith.

There's 50+ years of stuff to like and dislike from the Stones, bound to be a whole spectrum of different opinions. So what if someone loves the Stones and hates Keith? You're not likely to change their minds by calling them out.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: August 26, 2015 04:07

Gimmie Shelter because it may very well be the most menacing song ever written.

Date: August 26, 2015 06:00

keefriffhards
mickschix

Yeah you got me there, i'm a keith nut, but i have loved Micks performances since LSTNT live in 81'
But i prefer him singing That's How Strong My Love Is like he did on the Live Licks tour DVD

I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever heard anyone here say they loved The Stones and hated Keith. This site is a Keith love-fest most of the time; do you honestly think he doesn't get a fair shake here? There may be people who are not especially fans of his solo work (like me) but who give him all props for being 1\2 of one of the greatest songwriting duos of all time. (I also don't care for Jagger's solo records but pay tribute to him as a Glimmer.)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 26, 2015 06:06

keefriffhards
mickschix

I agree

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 26, 2015 11:37

Jumping Jack Flash.

Why.

Date: August 26, 2015 11:51

mickschix

Keith plays an awesome guitar on Let It Loose, though. That, Mick's singing and the horns (okay, Charlie, too smiling smiley ) are the reasons why I love it so much..

Date: August 26, 2015 11:54

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Still time to change your mind on that one. grinning smiley I of course was joking somewhat here knowing your love for all most things Keith. I do stand by my assertion that there has been very little or no Keith hatred expressed on the board from Mick fanatics. I think we've heard more bitching about it from you than any disparaging comments about Keith.

There's 50+ years of stuff to like and dislike from the Stones, bound to be a whole spectrum of different opinions. So what if someone loves the Stones and hates Keith? You're not likely to change their minds by calling them out.

Er... grinning smiley

Date: August 26, 2015 18:16

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one
Does that man talk jive or what

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 26, 2015 18:24

Let It Loose is a masterpiece indeed. It gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 26, 2015 18:46

Monkey Man

Has great riffage, great drumming, an awesome cadence, fantastic soundscaping and fantastic vocals and lyrics.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 26, 2015 19:36

Indian Girl

Date: August 26, 2015 19:42

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

I and others have stated that we truly haven't seen that here. confused smiley Perhaps I missed it but, if anything, it seems this is a very Keith loving community. Also, never trust a guy who doesn't like Let It Loose. winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 26, 2015 19:48

I wouldn't call Keith's screw ups and bad notes as being a Keith hater or whatever but Jagger's SHE'S THE BOSS and PRIMITIVE COOL slams are genuine - they suck. There's a big difference between sucking with your product and playing bad notes.

Date: August 26, 2015 20:27

GasLightStreet
I wouldn't call Keith's screw ups and bad notes as being a Keith hater or whatever but Jagger's SHE'S THE BOSS and PRIMITIVE COOL slams are genuine - they suck. There's a big difference between sucking with your product and playing bad notes.

Is it OK to think that BOTH their solo careers suck? (Asking for a friend.)

Date: August 27, 2015 01:18

Naturalust
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

I and others have stated that we truly haven't seen that here. confused smiley Perhaps I missed it but, if anything, it seems this is a very Keith loving community. Also, never trust a guy who doesn't like Let It Loose. winking smiley

i disagree with you naturalist. the keith slamming on this board by Mickists is very aggressive and often personal (he should quit because he's so bad, he should quit because he is so ill, he's dishonest and steals people's songs, he's too overweight, he's responsible for brian jones' fate, etc.)

now this is a fan board and everyone is entitled to their own opinions (and i have in fact said and do believe that mick would be a retired gym teacher in dartford without keith) but we shouldn't deny that it happens all the time and has for years on this board.

Date: August 27, 2015 01:43

Turner68
Naturalust
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

i disagree with you naturalist. the keith slamming on this board by Mickists is very aggressive and often personal (he should quit because he's so bad, he should quit because he is so ill, he's dishonest and steals people's songs, he's too overweight, he's responsible for brian jones' fate, etc.)

now this is a fan board and everyone is entitled to their own opinions (and i have in fact said and do believe that mick would be a retired gym teacher in dartford without keith) but we shouldn't deny that it happens all the time and has for years on this board.

i'm not trying to be a smartass or to feign a sense of "huh?" i'm just honestly curious: would it be possible for you to identify some of these posts? i don't know if i'm a mickist or not (i've gone on record saying both their solo careers suck), but i've been impressed by the universal outpouring of affection for keith on the occasion of the release of his new album. i guess we're not supposed to talk about other users, but i would really like to see some examples of this mean-spirited keith belittling.

Date: August 27, 2015 01:48

Naturalust
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

LOL . I certainly asked for that moody smiley

Date: August 27, 2015 01:57

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
Naturalust
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

i'm not trying to be a smartass or to feign a sense of "huh?" i'm just honestly curious: would it be possible for you to identify some of these posts? i don't know if i'm a mickist or not (i've gone on record saying both their solo careers suck), but i've been impressed by the universal outpouring of affection for keith on the occasion of the release of his new album. i guess we're not supposed to talk about other users, but i would really like to see some examples of this mean-spirited keith belittling.

google search works really well. i recommend it. this is what i found in 30 seconds of looking.

and just to be clear, i don't criticize any posters for being hard on keith, my objection was to people denying it happens.

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

and then there's this from a couple years ago on IORR by one of the people now running another stones "fan" board, entitled " can keith still play?"

[www.iorr.org]

and just to be clear, i don't criticize any posters for being hard on keith, my objection was to people denying it happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 02:00 by Turner68.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 27, 2015 02:09

How can anyone 'hate' Keith?! Here is the guy who puts his heart out- by all accounts, he is the salt of the earth, feet on the ground (regardless of fame, money) who's actions speak volumes: checks in with the elevator guy in the building about his family, remembering a daughter starting school, doesn't brush off the fan magazine young man who keeps calling/ accepts his call every time/ loyal to his family! makes sure if a musician is on stage, he is watching/ not talking, the 'blind girl'
on and on and on I could go- his heart is gold, when no- one is suppose to be looking. The huge irony of the 'bad' guy is truly one with an innate moral compass.
It's not one or the other. Unless you keep bringing up one verses the other.
I never think 'pick a side'. I refuse, love them both.
At this point, at their age, it's all gravy.

Date: August 27, 2015 02:22

Turner68
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
Naturalust
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

google search works really well. i recommend it. this is what i found in 30 seconds of looking.

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

and then there's this from a couple years ago on IORR by one of the people now running another stones "fan" board, entitled " can keith still play?"

[www.iorr.org]

I don't know, man. 4 posts from 3 or 4 years ago and 1 from this year? I know your list is not exhaustive; there are no doubt more examples out there ... But would it not be possible to find just as many Mick "retired gym teacher"-type posts in the same period of time? You may be right that an overwhelming amount of the bashing that goes on here is directed toward Keith--that hasn't been my observation. I'll have to pay better attention.

Date: August 27, 2015 02:24

I guess its also to do with who we identify with
For instance i love drinking like Keith
But after a few months i want to get healthy and i turn into Mick lol
Eating salads going to the gym and hiking
What i'm trying to say is that we have our favourites not just because of who we prefer musically but also because we like to identify with a certain persons ways

Date: August 27, 2015 02:34

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
Naturalust
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust
keefriffhards

Er... grinning smiley

+ one

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]

I don't know, man. 4 posts from 3 or 4 years ago and 1 from this year? I know your list is not exhaustive; there are no doubt more examples out there ... But would it not be possible to find just as many Mick "retired gym teacher"-type posts in the same period of time? You may be right that an overwhelming amount of the bashing that goes on here is directed toward Keith--that hasn't been my observation. I'll have to pay better attention.

i'm not getting into some sort of "how many posts about this vs that debate." not productive and very childish in my opinion.

i logged on an hour ago and saw people were saying that there wasn't keith bashing going on here, i said i thought there was, you asked for *some* examples, i looked for 30 seconds and your response is that i didn't find more than 5 posts. LOL. anyone can use google i don't know why i spent 30 seconds on trying to be helpful and answer your question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 02:34 by Turner68.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home