Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T. Blind Faith
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:46

What are the thoughts among the members of this board on Blind Faith? Back in the day, there was a great deal of hype and anticipation for the release of the new album from this " supergroup". Having been a fan of Cream, Traffic, and The Spencer Davis group, I had every reason to believe that the record would meet my expectations. Upon buying it the day of its release and taking it home to listen to it, I was less than thrilled. In my opinion, the group had neither the sheer power of Cream nor the creativity of Traffic. I think we were all supposed to immediately like the group, given the personnel. I tried really hard to like their songs but they never resonated with me. When they came to L.A., I had a chance to see them at the Forum but instead went to see Lee Micaels, who, ironically, said during his show that he would rather have been at the Blind Faith show!

I recently heard a couple of the tracks from the album and they seemed as tepid as ever, not bad but lacking the wow factor. Some of you who were around back then, what did you think, how do you see them now? Did they underachieve? Did they meet expectations?

Re: O.T. Blind Faith
Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:59

I was born in 1972, so not around then - but I think its a fantastic album. It has some stunning songs on it - Can't Find My Way Home, Presence of the Lord for example.
As far as debut albums go - not too shabby at all. I have read about all the hype - but to me I wonder if Blind Faith, like Derek and the Dominos, was a victim of Eric Clapton's restlessness or boredom. Both those groups put out classic debut albums to my taste, and then Clapton got bored or too wasted and disappeared.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 15, 2015 06:09

Having been a teenage listener the summer of '69, it was another embarrassment of riches that summer. Led Zeppelin 1, Crosby, Stills & Nash, and we were still digesting Hendrix' Electric Ladyland. Blind Faith was a fantastic album, but maybe not what you would have expected. I kept waiting for Eric to take off. This was the age of soaring electric guitars, and it seemed all we got of Clapton was a short solo on Presence of the Lord. But it was a great little super group while it lasted. (The first time I remember hearing that term, super group). They were great songs, and great musicians, including the barely known today Rick Grech.

Date: August 15, 2015 06:15

24FPS
Having been a teenage listener the summer of '69, it was another embarrassment of riches that summer. Led Zeppelin 1, Crosby, Stills & Nash, and we were still digesting Hendrix' Electric Ladyland. Blind Faith was a fantastic album, but maybe not what you would have expected. I kept waiting for Eric to take off. This was the age of soaring electric guitars, and it seemed all we got of Clapton was a short solo on Presence of the Lord. But it was a great little super group while it lasted. (The first time I remember hearing that term, super group). They were great songs, and great musicians, including the barely known today Rick Grech.

I think you're right about what many expected of Eric. I was hoping he'd take the Cream live jams to another level. An unrealistic expectation, for sure, but, given the times, I know I wasn't alone in that regard.

Champ72, yes, it was around the time of Derek and the Dominoes that EC began to go into his drug-fueled spiral.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2015 06:47

I was only 6 when it came out, but my older brother had it and played it all the time.
I fully appreciated it all when I was a bit older, and still fully appreciate it to this day.
Had To Cry Today has some amazing guitar throughout, and Can't Find My Way Home stands the test of time as an all time classic imo.

Date: August 15, 2015 07:32

i think its a fantastic album. one of the 5 best releases of claptons career

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 15, 2015 08:36

keefriffhard4life
i think its a fantastic album. one of the 5 best releases of claptons career
yes. I love this album

Date: August 15, 2015 08:55

Well, so far I see I'm in the minority! However, I do appreciate the perspectives and comments.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 15, 2015 08:59

Saw Blind Faith at the LA Forum (with Delaney & Bonnie and Free) in '69.
I was excited that they played their album, all 6 songs, in its entirety.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: August 15, 2015 12:28

Since Clapton started playing Fender, I lost interest. I think his playing changed a lot by then (1969/1970). See Clapton's playing on the Blind Faith Hyde Park 1969 dvd (Fender).

Recently I found a Derek & The Dominos recording at the Marquee 1970 on youtube, where Clapton played his Les Paul....and he is on fire! Don't think Clapton played a lot Gibson with Derek and the Dominos.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: August 15, 2015 12:42

Great album which would have been even better without "Do What You Like" jam .
Wish they had included "Under my Thumb" instead.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 15, 2015 13:08

I bought that LP when it came out. Loved it from the beginning ... and still do

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: August 15, 2015 13:16

Sacke
Since Clapton started playing Fender, I lost interest. I think his playing changed a lot by then (1969/1970). See Clapton's playing on the Blind Faith Hyde Park 1969 dvd (Fender).

Recently I found a Derek & The Dominos recording at the Marquee 1970 on youtube, where Clapton played his Les Paul....and he is on fire! Don't think Clapton played a lot Gibson with Derek and the Dominos.

Just a few infos Eric played Gibsons from time to time in Dominos and after, but mostly Fenders - not Les Pauls but rather Firebirds and ES 335. On Layla he plays Fender only, Duane Gibsons.
I believe it is a Fender on The Marquee show. Maybe Mathijs could help decide upon listening, but Iam pretty sure it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 13:17 by Poetry.

Date: August 15, 2015 13:35

Blind Faith was doomed from the start. I read the band did not want Ginger on drums, but were affraid to tell him. And when they were forced into the studio (the label wanted to cash in- they had very little material). Given the circumstances - four of the six tracks are great.

And Dominos - the band started recording their 2nd album, but sessions were not to Eric's liking. They were turning into junkies - including Eric - and as it turned out years later, the drummer, Jim Gordon was an undiagnosed schizophrenic.

He kicked heroin fully in late 73 /early 74, but became a heavy drinker for over a decade. There is some myth Eric's playing became less fiery / inspired when he went solo (mostly based upon listening to studio albums). He was uncomfortable with the guitar hero role , but I can recommend /put on wetransfer some 70s shows where he really smokes. The early 80s / 81 and 82 were the nadir. The 83 tour is awesome. 85 has great, consistent performances - but a little stale. 86 and 87 have that 80s pop rock blandness on the keyboars, but Eric was at his best since late 79. The 1988 gigs with Mark Knopfler are great too. The 90s were great performancewise / except 98 for me (did not like the orchestra). And the last two decades range from great to average in my opinion, with best being the 2006, 2009 and 2011 stors shows in general.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 15, 2015 13:43

Giner Baker was the wrong drummer for that band, plus he brought baggage and added to the expectations that it would possibly be a continuation of Cream.

Date: August 15, 2015 14:44

hickorywind
Great album which would have been even better without "Do What You Like" jam .
Wish they had included "Under my Thumb" instead.

or sleeping in the ground

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 15, 2015 16:16

I like it. I bought it some years ago. I guess it must be said to be very much "of it`s time". That is what I like about it. Maybe many viewed it as veery cool in 1969, but today we can smile and get an impression of how things were back then. It was what you stuck to if you wanted to be cool yourself. Nobody would lift an eyebrow. It was just how cool music should sound like. I like it from start to beginning, like a movie for my ears. -So full of anticipation and hope. It was part of a whole new wave of music. This was how it must have felt like.

Date: August 15, 2015 16:46

Poetry
Sacke

Just a few infos Eric played Gibsons from time to time in Dominos and after, but mostly Fenders - not Les Pauls but rather Firebirds and ES 335. On Layla he plays Fender only, Duane Gibsons.
I believe it is a Fender on The Marquee show. Maybe Mathijs could help decide upon listening, but Iam pretty sure it is.

Clapton is definitely playing a Gibson Les Paul at that Marquee gig...we don't need Matthijs for that winking smiley

Date: August 15, 2015 16:53

A 3 pickup Les Paul Custom and 2 pickup Special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 16:55 by His Majesty.

Date: August 15, 2015 17:00

His Majesty
A 3 pickup Les Paul Custom and 2 pickup Special.

Wow nice find!! Never seen this pic!

Date: August 15, 2015 17:01

Easily found on first results of a google search. winking smiley

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: August 15, 2015 21:02

great record....Jimmy Miller production is a killer

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 15, 2015 21:28

Great album. The 2cd deluxe could have been better - too many jams for my liking, and nothing from any gigs they did.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 21:42

Never got round to buying the album, despite having spent a long time looking at the cover (in my teenage years, I hasten to add).

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: August 16, 2015 00:11

Killer record. I actually like it more and more as the years roll by because nobody makes this kind of music anymore. I actually just bought a new CD of this about 6 months ago. It's a real "desert island" disc for me. For me it's also a great piece of psychedelia to my ears, up there with A Space In Time, Benefit and Sgt. Pepper. The song writing, performance and production are all stellar. You're right though...a couple more good or great songs and the exclusion of Do What You Like would have been very interesting.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 16, 2015 02:05

Eric as Derek playing a strat.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 16, 2015 02:14

It was Stevie Winwood that made that band for me. Can't Find My Way Home will always be one of my favorites. Somewhat agree with His Majesty that Ginger Baker was the wrong drummer for the project.

Date: August 16, 2015 02:16

For those interested in Eric, I may list and send a few of my favourite post Cream boots here. Just let me know.

As for a rarity, I have seen a picture from a mid 70s gig in Japan where he plays a Tele.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2015 02:33

"Never got round to buying the album, despite having spent a long time looking at the cover (in my teenage years, I hasten to add)."

I kept wondering when someone would get around to the original cover for the album. They didn't release the album with the original cover in the u-s-of-a. Too risque or continental, I guess, though, it is an eye catching cover (the original) to say the least. You couldn't get away with that cover in today's PC mad world.

As for the album itself, it has its moments, IMHO, but left much to be desired considering the players on it. Derek and the Dominos first album was a much better fit for Clapton. The players on it made him better as a musician and singer, again, IMHO. And whatever happened to Bobby Whitlock? I love "Thorn Tree In The Garden". What a beautiful end piece to the album.

Funny, maybe this belongs in another thread, but I used to love Clapton, then, like all of a sudden, he was boring to listen to either on record or in concert. I saw him on the tour with Knopler in Largo (old Cap Centre outside of D-C) and what a let down it was. There was no dynamic or energy to the music and very little interplay between Clapton and Knopler. I was never able to get back into Clapton's stuff after that. Than, with, what is it, Tears In Heaven and the acoustic Layla, I realized the man had no gas left in the tank. People loved the Tears song, but what a maudlin piece of crapola you ultimately realize it is, though, you shouldn't think this because it's Clapton addressing his son's tragic death. Of course, I also feel the same way about Clapton doing "Wonderful Tonight". B-O-R-I-N-G. Anyway, just MHO and enough for now.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: August 16, 2015 02:40

Yeah, Clapton was more fun in the 70ies -- [www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home