Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Phelge's Stones - which version and why???
Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:17

Thanks to everyone for commenting on my book in the thread here:-

[www.iorr.org]

To avoid confusion over the versions I have made this new thread so that things may be clear.

Rolling Stones history is beginning to get littered with dubious stories - myths - altered facts and publicity generated history. Some lies there as well I expect..

In the case of my book -

Phelge's Stones is the ORIGINAl version of the book and was first published in 1998. At the time there was difficulty in finding an interested publisher, so I published it myself. My main issue was wholesale distribution. The other issue was accounts. Most stores only want to order one book at a time and don't want to pay until about 6 months later. It was not worth my while having opening loads of accounts for stores that only want on book - easier for me to sell it direct myself.

Around 2000 I approached a company in Chicago to distribute the book and they declined, The did however offer to publish it on their own label. As one of their nerds thought he knew better than me - they changed the title to the awful 'Nankering etc....'

That meant I could no longer sell the Phelge's Stones version in the USA as they had the right to Nankering version.

Let's jump forward a few years.. I never received any yearly royalties for Nankering and eventually they ceased publication of that version - so i am able to sell the original version again.

There is now an Italian version where again the publisher changed the title and also - has not paid myself any royalties. Be warned - the publishing business is like the record business. I forget the title of this version.

Posted in the thread here
[www.iorr.org]

>>ahhh, it's the same as nankering with the stones, i believe i read that, decades ago. so confusing how these guys change the titles of their books....<<

Authors do not like other people changing the titles of their books for different markets. We all think we have the best title first time round )

>>Yes, agrred. I reread it recently after a gap of 30ish years....still a great read.<<

This is not possible ))

So, the only way I receive any money for my book is when I sell a copy myself.

I do have another part written book and have been considering publishing that on Kindle, but agAin there are several payment issueS. One of them beings Kindle want to chop prices when they feel like it - sometimes as little as £1 - or give it away for free on occasions. Also the little you receive is subject to US tAX and currency convesion charges - it's not worth my while for the work involved

Meanwhile a signed copy of Phelge's Stones is till available from my website at

[www.jamesphelge.com]

or Ebay at

[www.ebay.co.uk]

**Some secondhand copies are being sold at higher prices than I sell a signed new version.

Hopefully that will clear any confusion regards the different titles

Before anyone asks wILL i be visiting the recreation of the Edith Grove flat at the Stones exhibition thing next year - the answer is no. I have no desire to go back again and sometimes wish I had never gone there in the first place. )

Why they want to do that after all this time is beyond me. Maybe they are planning to start another band..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 15:29 by JamesPhelge00.

Re: Phelge's Stones - which version and why???
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:18

You are the man!

Love your book. Reading it helped me escape the misery that was going through my life at the time. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-14 15:19 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:29

Thanks for the explanation - I've had a copy of "Nankering" for some time but I am going to add Phelge's Stones to the collection, as I didn't know that you had been done out of your royalties on the other one, as well as being saddled with a title you hated.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:43

Good luck with the book James.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:12

For some reason I never got round to buying this book, just fixed that. thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:31

Excellent decision, HM!
And thank you for the clarification, James.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 18:05

JamesPhelge00
Thanks to everyone for commenting on my book in the thread here:-

[www.iorr.org]

To avoid confusion over the versions I have made this new thread so that things may be clear.

Rolling Stones history is beginning to get littered with dubious stories - myths - altered facts and publicity generated history. Some lies there as well I expect..

In the case of my book -

Phelge's Stones is the ORIGINAl version of the book and was first published in 1998. At the time there was difficulty in finding an interested publisher, so I published it myself. My main issue was wholesale distribution. The other issue was accounts. Most stores only want to order one book at a time and don't want to pay until about 6 months later. It was not worth my while having opening loads of accounts for stores that only want on book - easier for me to sell it direct myself.

Around 2000 I approached a company in Chicago to distribute the book and they declined, The did however offer to publish it on their own label. As one of their nerds thought he knew better than me - they changed the title to the awful 'Nankering etc....'

That meant I could no longer sell the Phelge's Stones version in the USA as they had the right to Nankering version.

Let's jump forward a few years.. I never received any yearly royalties for Nankering and eventually they ceased publication of that version - so i am able to sell the original version again.

There is now an Italian version where again the publisher changed the title and also - has not paid myself any royalties. Be warned - the publishing business is like the record business. I forget the title of this version.

Posted in the thread here
[www.iorr.org]

>>ahhh, it's the same as nankering with the stones, i believe i read that, decades ago. so confusing how these guys change the titles of their books....<<

Authors do not like other people changing the titles of their books for different markets. We all think we have the best title first time round )

>>Yes, agrred. I reread it recently after a gap of 30ish years....still a great read.<<

This is not possible ))

So, the only way I receive any money for my book is when I sell a copy myself.

I do have another part written book and have been considering publishing that on Kindle, but agAin there are several payment issueS. One of them beings Kindle want to chop prices when they feel like it - sometimes as little as £1 - or give it away for free on occasions. Also the little you receive is subject to US tAX and currency convesion charges - it's not worth my while for the work involved

Meanwhile a signed copy of Phelge's Stones is till available from my website at

[www.jamesphelge.com]

or Ebay at

[www.ebay.co.uk]

**Some secondhand copies are being sold at higher prices than I sell a signed new version.

Hopefully that will clear any confusion regards the different titles

Before anyone asks wILL i be visiting the recreation of the Edith Grove flat at the Stones exhibition thing next year - the answer is no. I have no desire to go back again and sometimes wish I had never gone there in the first place. )

Why they want to do that after all this time is beyond me. Maybe they are planning to start another band..

Thank you!
Would you be able to share with us the provenance of your last name?

Date: August 14, 2015 18:10

Green Lady
Thanks for the explanation - I've had a copy of "Nankering" for some time but I am going to add Phelge's Stones to the collection, as I didn't know that you had been done out of your royalties on the other one, as well as being saddled with a title you hated.

There is no real difference between the two copies. A few words were changed for Nankering to make it americanised - like elevator instead of lift etc.. I have tried to avoid people thinking they are different books - I don't expect people to buy both. It's my problem if I don't get paid by these people. I don't help them by advertising the book at all, but will always sign all versions if asked. I guess 'at least people bought it....'

There is also a guy who wrote a well known Bob Dylan book with the same Chicago publisher - he tells me he never got paid either....

Phelge's Stones trickles out nowdays and I have no plans to publish it in book form again.

I will write a bit more about what I've learnt about publishing It may help someone out later.

And thanks again to all those who bought a copy. I dunno why some folks sell them later....?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2015 18:36

JamesPhelge00
And thanks again to all those who bought a copy. I dunno why some folks sell them later....?

Thanks for the post!
I was wondering if you get any compensation from sellers like Amazon who have used versions of your book for sale at pretty high prices. If not, it seems like that is a difficult situation for the authors and I'm curious your opinion of the practice.

You obviously have your reasons for not wanting to visit the Edith Grove reproduction at the Exhibitionism event but I think it would be fascinating to have your comments, renewed memories and observations of such a trip and you could certainly parlay that into PR for your book. Hell, they ought to have a display at the exhibit with copies of your book for sale!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:36

Dear James,

I bought Nankering with the Stones from Amazon in about 2003 and I absolutely love the book. I will check out your website and will buy an autographed copy if you have any left.

Cheers!

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:22

It should be noted that this book is one of the best on the Stones, certainly the early formative Stones. Also, it should be noted that is one of the funniest books you will ever read. It's a lot of fun.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:27

James do they still sell Sausoline?

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:39

Gotta say that it's fantastic book with lots of inside information and funny anecdotes. One of the best written books about The Stones that I've read. I purchased mine approx. 13 years ago (with an autograph of course) and I definitely don't have a need to sell it smiling smiley Thanks, James, for the book!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 14, 2015 22:33

Still have my signed copy of Phelge's Stones. Still think it is a great book and I ain't gonna sell it.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:08

...Without a doubt he best book concerning the beginning of the Story...!!!

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: August 16, 2015 18:39

Hi James.

Thanks for posting about your book and the difference between versions.

I'd never got around to reading the book - and have just purchased a copy from your ebay site! Looking forward to reading it. smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2015 19:40

Naturalust
JamesPhelge00

Thanks for the post!
I was wondering if you get any compensation from sellers like Amazon who have used versions of your book for sale at pretty high prices. If not, it seems like that is a difficult situation for the authors and I'm curious your opinion of the practice.

You obviously have your reasons for not wanting to visit the Edith Grove reproduction at the Exhibitionism event but I think it would be fascinating to have your comments, renewed memories and observations of such a trip and you could certainly parlay that into PR for your book. Hell, they ought to have a display at the exhibit with copies of your book for sale!

I don't know anyone who receives royalties od used books or records even. Repeat TV programs seems to be lucrative tho The printer is supposed to keep track figures on books printed which generates the royalties - that is obviously open to misuse..

As for Edith Grove reincarnation -

I'm not expecting Mick or Keith to remember much of it in detail - mundane things like curtains, wallpaper, carpets etc - maybe some more obvious things like record palyer etc and beds I expect it will be more of a representation of things - like a 60's radiogram and not the original one. I can pretty well remember most of it, so it will be interesting to compare.

I do have my original record player we used in the bedroom after we blew Brian's unit in a cloud of blue smoke. I also still have some of the original 45's we played at night and the original feted Perry Como Album handle by Mick and keith at the time. This was the first record played when I moved in.

If by chance the re-make is close to the original flat, I'd like to see some foto's if available sometime. Could someone also look in the wardrobe and see if my tousers and electric razor are still there?

**Martha - have sent you an email

Date: August 16, 2015 20:09

Just replied - I think....never used ebay before! Either MarthaTuesday or M Tuesday is good - thanks again.

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: August 16, 2015 21:21

I bought my signed first edition copy on june 10, 1999, direct from James himself. I was on holiday in London and we met on a Stones convention in the Brixton Acedemy if I remember well. I really enjoyed reading this book James and still own it off course.

Let it rock!

Date: August 16, 2015 21:25

Recreating Edith Grove seems nuts, who out of the vistors is going to know whether it's a true representation or not? Unless they have some photos, if so, can't wait to see those!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 16, 2015 21:33

His Majesty
Recreating Edith Grove seems nuts, who out of the vistors is going to know whether it's a true representation or not? Unless they have some photos, if so, can't wait to see those!

Recreating it without Mr. Phelge's help and input seems even a bit more odd. I hope this indeed drums up support for his book and that he can possibly even sell copies at the Exhibition. If people are truly interested about Edith Grove they would certainly appreciate an opportunity to buy the book. Strike while the iron is hot I say.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 17, 2015 15:33

nice to hear from you James....

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: August 17, 2015 20:52

Rosto
I bought my signed first edition copy on june 10, 1999, direct from James himself. I was on holiday in London and we met on a Stones convention in the Brixton Acedemy if I remember well. I really enjoyed reading this book James and still own it off course.

I got my signed book on the same day. The best book on early Stones by far, and I have read a few of them...

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 18, 2015 00:31

Great read ............I always want to check if it's available somewhere in my neighborhood.....

Date: August 19, 2015 17:21

The book arrived yesterday! James, thanks for sending it out so quickly. smiling smiley

I've made a start on reading it and already very much enjoying it. Haven't got far yet but based on what I've read so far, I'd definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't yet got it.

Date: August 19, 2015 18:33

My copy arrived too, straight in to reading a few chapters. smileys with beer

Date: August 20, 2015 14:44

Naturalust
His Majesty

Recreating it without Mr. Phelge's help and input seems even a bit more odd. I hope this indeed drums up support for his book and that he can possibly even sell copies at the Exhibition. If people are truly interested about Edith Grove they would certainly appreciate an opportunity to buy the book. Strike while the iron is hot I say.

Mick & Keith seemed to have retained some affinity with area over the years, remember their posh houses and flats in Chelsa, and Cheyne Walk is just a Stones throw (pun) from the Grove.

They could always buy 102 and use that as an office or museum - or move back into the place. Mick could have the top floor of course. I know someone who could decorate it to their original tastes...

Thanks to those above who recently bought books - hope they are all deleivered quickly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 20, 2015 20:22

JamesPhelge00
Naturalust
His Majesty

Mick & Keith seemed to have retained some affinity with area over the years, remember their posh houses and flats in Chelsa, and Cheyne Walk is just a Stones throw (pun) from the Grove.

They could always buy 102 and use that as an office or museum - or move back into the place. Mick could have the top floor of course. I know someone who could decorate it to their original tastes...

Thanks to those above who recently bought books - hope they are all deleivered quickly.

now that i see your fondness for puns i understand your attraction to the board Mr. Phelge.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 21, 2015 11:45

Just received the book today, thanks James.
Incredible fast sipping !!!!

Date: August 23, 2015 02:57

LiveAtHidepark
Just received the book today, thanks James.
Incredible fast sipping !!!!

How did you know I was drinking a beer..?grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home