Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick + Charlie in Aretha's "Amazing Grace" at Toronto film fest
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 14, 2015 00:57

Great stuff:

[tiff.net]

Watch the trailer, and Mick is out of his head at about 1:57. One of the stills on the site shows Mick and Charlie. David Ritz mentions their presence at the taping in his recent (and most excellent) Aretha bio, [amzn.to].

Definitely worth watching the film for its overall merits, and hopefully before Aretha gets her lawyers on the case. The TIFF screening is billed as its Canadian premiere, so I wonder if it might also screen about that time at Telluride or the NY Film Fest.

[The issue was previously discussed here at [www.iorr.org], though the article in the first post has pretty much nothing correct, as discussed downthread, including. "Terry Wexler"].

Re: Mick + Charlie in Aretha's "Amazing Grace" at Toronto film fest
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 14, 2015 01:05

Wow. Excellent post Dean. Aretha at the pinnacle of her musical power, imo.
Sounds like a must see to me, love this stuff.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 14, 2015 01:26

Yes, thanks Dean.

Olly.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: August 14, 2015 01:28

Thanks for the info, etc - great stuff!
smileys with beer

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 14, 2015 01:34

cool! Wish I was in T.O. for this! I'll have to check it out somehow

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: August 14, 2015 04:32

I would DIE to see this! Optimistically one would assume an official release on Blu-ray is imminent, hoping by the end of the year.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 14, 2015 05:41

Just saw Aretha live last week in Los Angeles and she is still absolutely amazing.
My wife had tears in here eyes when Aretha sang her first notes of the night - it was really chills down the spine amazing!

Unfortunately I heard she had to cancel tomorrow's show in Vegas "due to exhaustion".

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 14, 2015 15:44

Thanks for the heads up on this, DeanGoodman. I'm a big fan of Aretha and also Sydney Pollack. Hope this comes to DC. smileys with beer

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:13

Do we know who was with Jagger and how come he was there?

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 19:27

Awesome - can't wait to see this. thumbs up

Date: August 14, 2015 20:05

CousinC

Right place, right time. The Stones were in L.A. working on Exile in January 1972. They were also both on Atlantic. Ahmet or Jerry probably told them about it.

I don't think I've ever seen any Mick or Charlie comments on this rather historic event.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:06

I'm sure it's not just me but, since I'm at work, I can't verify it. After the trailer finished playing at the tiff website, it put up links for "other videos" similar to what youtube does. One of the links appears to be for the entire movie. Has anyone watched some, most all of this? If it's correct and available when I get home, I think I know what I'll be watching tonight!

Thanks for the links, Dean!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:58

OH man I have been waiting for this for years! This is really exciting news. I want this to be a major release, at least at the festival circuit.
I have been waiting for Aretha to be rediscovered by a new generation. Too much of the latter day Aretha - the glitzy stuff - denigrates her legacy.
I can't wait.
And I love that Mick was there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 00:01 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:59

DeanGoodman
CousinC

Right place, right time. The Stones were in L.A. working on Exile in January 1972. They were also both on Atlantic. Ahmet or Jerry probably told them about it.

I don't think I've ever seen any Mick or Charlie comments on this rather historic event.

He mentioned it an an interview in the 90s...he went to both performances at the church, and went with Billy Preston. Billy had played with Aretha on her Filmore shows.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 15, 2015 02:55

Can't wait to see it!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 05:27

Lengthy article in the LA times about this from a few days ago: [www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 15, 2015 20:24

thanks for posting DG...

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: August 16, 2015 03:54

Thanks for posting this. Looks fantastic.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 16, 2015 21:29

I love Aretha Franklin. Her music, voice, and legend to American music is undeniable. However, it is another prime example of a black artist having no control of her music, voice, or image. Is she going to make any money on the use of her voice and image? I wonder. If there is money to be made will she get any of it?

I would love to see this documentary but not at the price of screwing her out of being paid for the use of her incredible talent. Maybe I am wrong here because I am not in the music business or really understand these things. There must be a reason why she wants to stop this documentary.

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: August 16, 2015 22:57

PhillyFAN
I love Aretha Franklin. Her music, voice, and legend to American music is undeniable. However, it is another prime example of a black artist having no control of her music, voice, or image. Is she going to make any money on the use of her voice and image? I wonder. If there is money to be made will she get any of it?

I would love to see this documentary but not at the price of screwing her out of being paid for the use of her incredible talent. Maybe I am wrong here because I am not in the music business or really understand these things. There must be a reason why she wants to stop this documentary.

For some unknown reason she hasn't wanted this out from day 1. I see absolutely no reason NOT to put it out, the performance is legendary. Sorry if she signed a bad deal but if the producers can put it out legally which I'm sure they can otherwise it wouldn't have got this far I say go for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-16 22:57 by slowhand.

Date: August 16, 2015 23:29

PhillyFAN

It transcends race and related stereotyping. All creative endeavors require a ton of legal paperwork before they can be published. Everyone depicted in Amazing Grace will have signed off on having their likeness used, either literally at the bottom of documents, or implicitly by walking past the warning sign on the door (as seen in the trailer).

Additionally, the producers must get clearances from the songs' copyright holders and principal players, and they also will carry what is called a "media perils" insurance policy to protect against lawsuits (which would benefit Aretha, if she is named as a defendant for any reason - this is America, after all).

Since this was recorded for a live album by Atlantic, I imagine the lawyers dotted the i's from the start. Of course, she will get royalties, though I doubt this film will make much money.

Check out David Ritz's wonderful new bio. It has great coverage of the Amazing Grace sessions. But you also learn that she's not exactly a victim. If she'd had her way, Steely Dan would have been blocked from name-checking her in "Hey Nineteen," for example.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 17, 2015 02:08

DeanGoodman
PhillyFAN

It transcends race and related stereotyping. All creative endeavors require a ton of legal paperwork before they can be published. Everyone depicted in Amazing Grace will have signed off on having their likeness used, either literally at the bottom of documents, or implicitly by walking past the warning sign on the door (as seen in the trailer).

Additionally, the producers must get clearances from the songs' copyright holders and principal players, and they also will carry what is called a "media perils" insurance policy to protect against lawsuits (which would benefit Aretha, if she is named as a defendant for any reason - this is America, after all).

Since this was recorded for a live album by Atlantic, I imagine the lawyers dotted the i's from the start. Of course, she will get royalties, though I doubt this film will make much money.

Check out David Ritz's wonderful new bio. It has great coverage of the Amazing Grace sessions. But you also learn that she's not exactly a victim. If she'd had her way, Steely Dan would have been blocked from name-checking her in "Hey Nineteen," for example.

Thank you for the insight. I have heard that Miss Franklin can be, how should I say this? Not the nicest person. I wonder why she wants to stop the film? She is in excellent voice on the album. But as someone that performs in mink coats and carries her purse on stage makes me wonder about motivation. Maybe I shouldn't care and just appreciate the her talent. After all I'm just a fan in Philly!

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: August 17, 2015 02:22

I saw Aretha in Oakland this last week (she hadn't played in Northern California for 40 years).I was stunned how great she sounded. And, she sang for at least 90 minutes. What a legend!

Date: August 17, 2015 03:46

I wouldn't call her "not the nicest" necessarily. She is very generous. But like many celebrities (and/or those who had celebrity parents), she has a distorted view of reality. For example the Ritz book details how she is obsessed with "The Young and the Restless" and invents boyfriends, even going so far as to plant stories of relationships with unwitting men, such as Tavis Smiley (a US TV show host).

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 24, 2021 14:12

A few screenshots from the movie (on the second one Mick tells Charlie a joke which makes him laugh). Keith and Charlie appear only on the second night, at least on film, I don't know if their presence on Thursday was ever confirmed.

Anyway, Sydney Pollack obviously knew that Mick Jagger was there, as he appears numerous times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home