Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Shattered-Best live version
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:30

I think the Still Life tour was the last time the Stones were able to do decent live versions (and put some life into them) of older songs without copying them straight off.
Shattered and Under My Thumb are good examples of that. Even the covers were interesting during that tour. Like Going To a Go-Go and Just My Imagination.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:36

Stoneage
I think the Still Life tour was the last time the Stones were able to do decent live versions (and put some life into them) of older songs without copying them straight off.
Shattered and Under My Thumb are good examples of that. Even the covers were interesting during that tour. Like Going To a Go-Go and Just My Imagination.

Precisely! Having the guitar play the original marimba licks on UMT was magic and it rocked! I heard later versions where they tried to duplicate the marimba intro onstage and it just felt lifeless. At least in 2006, they did a more guitar oriented version again!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 3, 2016 21:52

HonkeyTonkFlash
Stoneage

Precisely! Having the guitar play the original marimba licks on UMT was magic and it rocked! I heard later versions where they tried to duplicate the marimba intro onstage and it just felt lifeless. At least in 2006, they did a more guitar oriented version again!

Now there's a song where the studio version is magnificent, and all live attempts have been less than stellar. You can't replicate that Jones/Wyman/Watts jazzy rhythm on stage.

Date: May 3, 2016 22:06

24FPS
HonkeyTonkFlash
Stoneage

Now there's a song where the studio version is magnificent, and all live attempts have been less than stellar. You can't replicate that Jones/Wyman/Watts jazzy rhythm on stage.
Right, you can't replicate that onstage, which is why post-1981 live version sounded limp. But in 1981, they took the bare bones of the song, arranged it for guitars...for the stage...and rocked it up. It was one of my favorite opening numbers ever back then. Keith just hammering out those descending licks...magic!

Date: May 3, 2016 22:20

Stoneage

What about 19th Nervous Breakdown in 2005?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:25

There isn't any.

Date: May 3, 2016 22:26

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Now there's a rare example of the Stones changing the studio version in modern times but that hasn't happened much! Really liked that version.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 22:32

Shattered is a great epic later day song. On Some Girls it is the perfect closer and a perfect answer to the punks and a decayed love letter to New York City. I love the 78 live versions, Mick sings it brilliantly! And the guitars are ferocious. 81 tour, I was never a big fan of Mick's voice on that tour. I think the Leeds version is much better.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 3, 2016 23:43

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Sure, there are exceptions to the rule. Some pre-tour gigs, the 2002-03 (arena and club) tour and, maybe, the 1999 tour had some grains of gold. I was painting with the broader brush here!

Date: May 3, 2016 23:55

Detroit 1978?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: May 4, 2016 02:38

Lexington 1978 if the below information is correct and I don't doubt it. I don't have time to compare.

870927A 27th September: US radio (D.I.R.) ‘King Biscuit Flower Hour’, incl.
- Miss You (MJ/KR) -live in Hampton 18.12.81
- Hang Fire (MJ/KR) -live in Tempe 13.12.81
- Beast Of Burden (MJ/KR) -live in Chicago 25.11.81
- She’s So Cold (MJ/KR) -live in Tempe 13.12.81
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -live in Houston 18.7.78
- Shattered (MJ/KR) -live in Lexington 29.6.78
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -live in Detroit 6.7.78
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) live in Houston 18.7.78
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -live in Brussels 17.10.73 (1st show)
- Happy (MJ/KR) -live in Brussels 17.10.73 (1st show)
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -live in Brussels 17.10.73 (1st show)

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 02:56

Memphis 78 check it out

Posted by: HamburgerToGo ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:19

AGREED : Memphis, 1978!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home