Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
IORR posting policy
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 10, 2015 15:49

There are two million visitors on IORR every year. IORR is the most popular non-profit Rolling Stones fan site on this planet. It is on top of Google search if you search for most of the related topics, because Google as a great search engine do know the fact that there are around one million pages on IORR with relevant contents, basically a complete library of anything said about the Stones since the mid 90's, all shows, all news and so on. With no ads, all non-commercial.

Then there are around 21,000 registered users who are able to post on the IORR forum Tell Me plus the other IORR forums available, like Hot Stuff and All Sold Out. If you have been granted posting access, you must comply with the posting policy, which is linked up on the top of the forum pages. For your convenience there is a link here:

IORR Forum Help and Policy

If your posts are reported as offending, the IORR moderator & editor will check the contents, and edit/delete accordingly. If there is a modi operandi where the person who post seems to be following an offensive and offending path in several posts, the posting access will be removed. In average there are one posting access closed per week, some times one per month. Out of the total of 21,000 that is may be 25-50 i.e. 0,2% of the total per year. In a randomly selected week there might be 100 new registered users, and one or none closed access.

If a person get the posting access closed, it is called "banned user". It simply mean you will not be able to post using the very same login name. If you feel you have been "banned" for no reason then feel free to contact the IORR Editor, see contact info below. If you feel other people have been banned for no reason, please DO NOT start campaigns on IORR to reinstall their posting policy. Ask the person to contact the IORR Editor. If there is a misunderstanding then it is no problem.

By the way, you may start posting with a newe name, no problem, as long as you do not offend. Some do not accept the fact that it is offending to call people Dick or @#$%& or F**k or something similar. So they make a new name and make sure everyone see and understand they are the same old banned offending person. That is the same as walking out of a bar fight, then walking back with a different colored shirt and asking for more fighting. Like having a red blanket in front of the bull. Like crossing a 10 lanes highway on foot in USA. It is possible but not recommended.

If a person spend a lot of time offending named persons by posting offending on other sites, then it is a natural reason for not having posting access on IORR. You may not expect to be a bully externally, then Mr Nice Guy on IORR. Offense is offence, internally or externally. If I am told you punched a person in the face outside IORR, and you enjoy the privelege of posting here on IORR, I might close the access simply because it does not make sense to have you here. An example:

I was at the Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo watching the Rolling Stones performing live. They had the following name up on display as one of the Buffalo Bills heroes:

O. J. Simpson

May be that is ok for some, but for others that might be hurting. Some people claim they should be able to post about Adolf @#$%&, Quisling, Bin Laden and other terrorists here on IORR. I say sorry no. Please find another arena for such funny posts. If you do not respect such basic rules then feel free to enjoy taking about the Stones on any other of the thousands of internet forums and places on Internet.

My name is Bjornulf Vik but some people like to call me Dick, which some might recognise as another name of the male genital, no further explanations needed. It is offending. Some want to offend other individuals on IORR, here or other places. Sorry it is not possible. It is called Internet hate and it is not acceptable. In short, New Yourk Times would never print my name as Dick, not even Dick Laden by error even if a drunk journalist might have spelled it out one late evening. They have routines for avoiding offensive publication. Same with IORR.

If Donald Trump was on IORR I would bet he would post something stupid about husbands raping the wife or about a female journalist bleeding, and I would have to ban him from IORR. Then I am sure there are many here on IORR who think Donald Trump is a great politician and the perfect presidets candidate in the US so I will accept any reports about my offensive statement here, and I will probably remove it soon. It is just an exaple. Even an offensive example might be offensive.

There are some people who think they are greatrer than rules, may be they did not have sex with that woman, may be they did not inhale, or may be they did not call me Dick or other offending words. Still, life is too short, I am running IORR in my spare time, and I can't spend the rest of my life discussing why someone was banned, why not, when and so on. Everything is on file. It might be because of numerous posts about masturbation, it might be because they blamed Mick's girl friend on cancelled shows, or it might be because of severe name calling. There is always a reason, even if they contact you and say they are a pussycat and they would never hurt a mouse or a fly.

There are very few rules on IORR. In fact there is only one:

DO NOT OFFEND

And remember, you are NOT the one who decide what is offending. Because there are people from all over the world on IORR, we do not make jokes about the Hiroshima Bomb or the war in Syria or children dying of malaria in Africa, and we do not make offending Donald Trump types of jokes about other named persons. We pay respect. Gay people are respected. Male and female are respected. Poor people and rich people are respected. If you are homofobian then feel free to be scared of homosexual poeple but don't post hate here on IORR. If you need to fight then find an Arsenal shirt and walk into one of the Tottenham pubs singing "Tottenham sucks". Good luck. Then ask them for the freedom of speach and say you should not be banned. Do the same with Ajax and Feyenoord, or any other rival sports clubs in the world.

The whole point of IORR is to share information, a joke or 100 is no problem, but please do not offend. And please do not start a thread about masturbation, you may masturbate all night and all day, no worries, but we don't need to have you posting about it here on IORR. Most people would agree on that. There are so many weired reasons why people get banned. One day I might write a book about it, but not now.

Finally, some make jokes about food postings. Personally I don't care if you post about food, but I think IORR would be boring if it was filled with posts about pizza, steaks, meals, restaurants, bars, carrots, salads and so on. Just eat that food and get finished. Off Topic posts may be deleted at any times, no offense, especially when there are more Off Topic than On Topic, and be sure, if your off topic is about something boring, like a burger or a boring pizza, then it might not survive long, unless it is funny. But how funny is a pizza? It would have to be frutti de mare in case...

Enjoy IORR!

Commenst? Feel free to contact me at:

iorr@arena.no

Bjornulf Vik
IORR Editor & Moderator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 16:09 by bv.

Re: IORR posting policy
Date: August 10, 2015 16:21

Just for the record:

There are 108 registered users on IORR with "Keith" in their names:

billykeith
BrianKeith
chelskeith
coconut keith
Coconutkeith
coolkeith
DutchKeithfan
gokeithgo
IheartKeith
IloveKeith

Then there are 153 with Mick in their names:

angieluvsmick
bluemick
ChezMick
faithfullmick
federmick
gimmemick
gimmiemick
ilikemick
ilovemickjagger
JJHMick

And so on and on. 31 Charlie and 19 Ronnie.

But there is only one Rockman, with 30,823 posts still counting. Thanks Rockman!

There is room for everyone on IORR. Just be nice and please do not offend others. Thank you all Mick's, Keith's, Ronnie's, Charlie's and so on...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 16:46

I have to admit, I am a little bit confused now.

From time to time there is this sticky thread about the general rules. I find it very reasonable and I think that you keep this place as pleasant as possible, which is an extremely difficult task with the anonymity of the internet and with all different kinds of people, many of them solving their personal issues by creating strange virtual alter-egos.

Anyway, I should get to the point - in the "rules" it says: "There are very few rules on IORR. In fact there is only one: DO NOT OFFEND" Yet for more than a week we have a thread called "If you don't like Bono..." going on. An article, which says (among other things):

"Bono is an asswipe...there sits Bono in his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his dick. He is, in the words of Deadspin’s own Tim Marchman, “the worst music man of all time.” He is puke, and I want to punch him in the ear."

And there is a tasteful discussion that follows...Yes, some find it extremely funny and witty. They will blame me for having no sense of humor.

I will openly confess, that I have reported the original post. In my 8 years on IORR, this is the second time I have reported a message (the first one being a scalper). Yet, it looks, like it was not considered as offensive. I understand, bv, that it is a hard work to keep this place running an that you don't sit in front of your computer waiting for me to report something, ready to take an action :-) But I think that this is as offensive as it can be and since by coincidence we have this sticky thread now, I just felt like I get this off my chest.

Of course, it is not for me to decide what is and what is not tolerated here. I just hope that things that would be taken as an offence if Mick or Keith were concerned are not offensive when say...Bono is concerned.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 16:54 by Happy24.

Date: August 10, 2015 18:30

Happy24
..Yet for more than a week we have a thread called "If you don't like Bono..." going on. An article, which says (among other things):

"Bono is an asswipe...there sits Bono in his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his dick. He is, in the words of Deadspin’s own Tim Marchman, “the worst music man of all time.” He is puke, and I want to punch him in the ear."

And there is a tasteful discussion that follows...Yes, some find it extremely funny and witty. They will blame me for having no sense of humor.

I will openly confess, that I have reported the original post. In my 8 years on IORR, this is the second time I have reported a message (the first one being a scalper). Yet, it looks, like it was not considered as offensive.

This is a great example. I took a look into this post. I did actually spend time on reading several posts in thta thread, but I did not find anything offending. So I assumed somewehere deep down in that linked up article, may be there was something offending, but I could not find it.

If there is a thread NOT about the Stones, pointing at an article, that might contain something thta might be offending, then may be you should contact that external source.

You are the only person on IORR to report this as offending. I did actually think: "Am I missing something here? Where is the offensive text?" So I thought if it is really offending, then somebody else will report, then I will take action.

So why is this a great example?

Because many people say I ban too much and I delete too much, yet there is reported contents that is staying. May be because it is easier to accept something that might be slightly offending to Bono. It might be worse if it was related to Mick or Keith.

Also, it is a great exaple because it seems that if I can't find the offense, even if I have been looking, and nobody else has reported, then may be it is not thyat serious.

If you still feel it is offensive, I will look into it again, but I would actually ask other people for advice here. Should it stay or shouild it go? It is off topic so the threashold is higher for moderation. But still you should not offend.

Finally, I do ignore a lit of reports, because it is for sure not offending, just harmless contents. So it is hard work and a fine line. The question is, should I moderate the Bono contents? Yes or no?

Bjornulf

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:35

"Bono is an asswipe...there sits Bono in his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his dick."
Like Bono or hate him.. tough not to agree that that line is offensive.

"Should I moderate the Bono contents?"
If by moderate you mean censor and/or delete? No. In my opinion.

Moderate for over the top hate speech or posts that threaten violence etc.
Otherwise they are just words.The better solution is to ignore such vulgar/vile talk.. or confront directly.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:44

Seems to me that talking like it's the men's locking room
is rather infantile and impolite. I've seen...heard a lot of this stuff
lately and I always figure, 'someone's had too many beers...'

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:52

It 's on the edge ....
If your 14 years of age and this is the first post you read on IORR it ' s not done . For deleting it's too late now.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:55

MisterDDDD, the asswipe quote is, I believe, directly from the article that is in the original post of that thread. I don't believe it was said by a forum member.

I do agree with you that the best policy is to ignore tasteless posts, unless they are over the top, as you put it.

As for this comment, stonesrule...

I always figure, 'someone's had too many beers...'

You give them too much credit. grinning smiley

Date: August 10, 2015 21:14

latebloomer
MisterDDDD, the asswipe quote is, I believe, directly from the article that is in the original post of that thread. I don't believe it was said by a forum member.

I do agree with you that the best policy is to ignore tasteless posts, unless they are over the top, as you put it.

As for this comment, stonesrule...

I always figure, 'someone's had too many beers...'

You give them too much credit. grinning smiley

*Almost put the clarifier " would have to read it in it's context".. which is true.. But to me the words are offensive regardless of whether it was a quote or not.

There are Ways to quote it less offensively..
"Bono is an ____, There sits Bono is his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his ___".
For those who must know the vulgar words,they could easily look it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 21:15 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 10, 2015 21:16

BV, THAT was FUNNY! You may not have intended it to be, but it made me laugh quite a few times! Maybe you should consider a new career....stand up comedian!!! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2015 21:32

stonesrule
Seems to me that talking like it's the men's locking room
is rather infantile and impolite. I've seen...heard a lot of this stuff
lately and I always figure, 'someone's had too many beers...'

I've thrown out the occasional cuss in my time but I think I pretty much agree with you...but as latebloomer's opined, you give them too much credit.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 21:38

I am glad that Dandelion Powderman has been reinstated!!!!

Date: August 10, 2015 22:08

Personally I think that it would be hard for a 10-12 years old child to be a Stones fan without some kind of moderation above the level I feel is comfortable. Keith is talking about having a joint for breakfast. Mick use the F word on stage. Some years ago they did ball kicking and large penis riding on stage. The CS Bluse song and film is not something I would show my grandchildren. Keep that in mind.

Please remember I have a full time job OUTSIDE iorr. Unless there is something seriously offending, just ignore it, and it will go away in time. That is my best moderation. Ignore. If people keep it alive and keep an offending comment alive please let me know, but it should be important.

My goal is a minimum of moderation, less than 1% of everything posted, ideally 1 out of 1,000. Should be possible as long as people do not fight.

Thanks!

Bjornulf

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2015 22:49

Turner68

he can be irritating but I guess I'm also glad he's back.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 10, 2015 22:51

About rude posts about famous people...............I think of Ian Dury (Of Blockheads fame who was paralysed down his left side because of polio).............He said when he first got famous (1977) some people would come up and praise him and his songs and ask for his autograph, he didn't like it because he used to get embarrassed and wished they wouldn't, some didn't like him and used to call him names, he especially didn't like "ugly cripple".

He used to get upset with both scenarios until one day he said he just realised; that it was the price of fame and fortune.......after that he never was bothered by things again, he used to graciously give autographs and with the other he just used to quietly turn away while his minder 'Derek the draw' would beat the shit out his detractors..........I'm kidding of course......... grinning smiley

Seriously, of course one has to draw a line against inciting violence as it's is a crime but slagging people off, even in a ultra vitriolic tone? well - I agree with Ian Dury, it's part of the price of F & F............or, put another way, as they say in the army, "Break the horizon, expect to get shot at"............

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-11 03:03 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 10, 2015 22:52

Maybe the rules at that new forum are less strict, and those that think it is fun to offend could try it over there.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:01

treaclefingers
Turner68

he can be irritating but I guess I'm also glad he's back.

Honesty, though an admirable quality in life, seems kind of mean at this juncture.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:55

What's the use in discussing IORR posting policy? Sure, there are some basic sets of rules but in the end some decisions are, more or less, arbitrary.
Basically it's BV's site and he sets the standards. And there's no use arguing with that. It will take you nowhere.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2015 00:00

YEP that's it basically ... It's BV's site ..... end of argument

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 11, 2015 00:09

Stoneage
What's the use in discussing IORR posting policy? Sure, there are some basic sets of rules but in the end some decisions are, more or less, arbitrary.
Basically it's BV's site and he sets the standards. And there's no use arguing with that. It will take you nowhere.

At least Stoneage for the first time I'm on IORR we have discussion about one post if it should be deleted or not........so take your vote or not drinking smiley

Date: August 11, 2015 00:23

Sorry, Nicos. A too complicated case for me. So, I'll bail out...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 11, 2015 01:20

Rockman
YEP that's it basically ... It's BV's site ..... end of argument

There's no doubt it's bv site.
Glad DP is back !

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: August 11, 2015 02:02

MisterDDDD
"Bono is an asswipe...there sits Bono in his stupid housefly glasses, playing with his dick." Like Bono or hate him.. tough not to agree that that line is offensive.

While I'd have to agree that some might find it offensive, it's not hard to argue that it's not offensive. If someone here had written it here on IORR in seriousness, then OK, it would just be baiting and hateful. But it was just a link to a goofy article with a proper heads up in the title of the post. The actual author was, I think, just trying to be funny. "Playing with his dick" is obviously meant figuratively, as was "I'd like to punch him in the ear". I presume that if the author met Bono, he'd be more likely to ask for an autograph.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-11 02:02 by carlorossi.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: August 11, 2015 02:18

just follow the rules. And beside the stones i also love the pussycats
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 11, 2015 02:38

Stoneage

The point is that he asked for feedback.
"The question is, should I moderate the Bono contents? Yes or no?" -bv
Feedback that could be helpful with the guidelines and the amount of moderation going forward. Seemed good enough reason to me..

Date: August 11, 2015 04:21

MisterDDDD
Stoneage

The point is that he asked for feedback.
"The question is, should I moderate the Bono contents? Yes or no?" -bv
Feedback that could be helpful with the guidelines and the amount of moderation going forward. Seemed good enough reason to me..

I have accepted the fact that the ruling here can be quite arbitrary, although there is a set of rules, and that it's down to the blog owner in the end.
You can't nitpick questions like "this one you may discuss but others not". It would only be confusing in the end.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 11, 2015 04:47

No one has the right to NOT be offended. Everything offends someone to some degrees. Some people are offended because they are asked not to offend.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 11, 2015 04:51

jazzbass
No one has the right to NOT be offended. Everything offends someone to some degrees. Some people are offended because they are asked not to offend.

You mean I can't not be offended or I can't be not offended? What if I'm somewhat offended, does that count?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: August 11, 2015 05:28

latebloomer
jazzbass

You mean I can't not be offended or I can't be not offended? What if I'm somewhat offended, does that count?

Yes. You can not, NOT be offended. If you are somewhat offended, then you are offended. Political correctness is the bane of modern society. We so worry about offending people, we just chose to not speak at all. Just think how much simpler things would be if people just didn't allow themselves to be offended, or better yet, if they were offended, they just let it roll off. No harm, no foul. The entire planet needs to lighten the f up.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2015 05:33

or maybe The entire planet needs to light up.

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home