Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
40 Years Ago Today - Buffalo 8-8-75
Posted by: andrews27 ()
Date: August 8, 2015 19:16

40 years ago today, TOTA ended with a previously unscheduled show at Rich Stadium, Orchard Park, NY. It was my first Stones show.

If you believe Victor Bockris' biography of Keith, a certain MJ, RW, and BP dropped a*** while waiting for the sun to go down, thus insuring a ragged, infamous and debatable show for all time.

The boot Goodnight America has the evidence that it was not an inferior performance...just a different type performance. Those who were there know just how good it was. A highlight was Jagger frequently walking out on a tiny V-shaped ramp between the stage and the lip of the crowd fence, a ramp seemingly jerry-rigged from 2 x 4s that bounced with every step. A snarling football player-type in a tight yellow T-shirt crouched behind him every time he sallied forth. It really was a dangerous contraption.

Does anybody have stage pictures of Rich Stadium 8-8-75 to post, or stage pix of Buffalo Memorial Auditorium 6-15-75? Stage shots of these shows are hard to find, strange in the case of the TOTA farewell show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-08 20:52 by andrews27.

Re: 40 Years Ago Today - Buffalo 8-8-75
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 8, 2015 20:10

I don't know which one is worse : Buffalo II or L.A. III (July 11)?

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 8, 2015 20:31

I was there! Front and center, took a lot of amazing photos but I am not a wiz at posting photos! It was a FABULOUS show, and I won't have anyone telling me other wise! It was frantic, brilliant, spontaneous, and yes, NOT your typical Stones show. I waited ALL DAY in the hot sun, thinking it was an afternoon show. I'd seen their Boston gig in June and that was great too but THIS August 8th show was a SPECTACLE! When they did Angie and Wild Horses, you could hear a pin drop...98,000 fans...Jagger was totally ELECTRIC...sparks were flying off of him. I was so close, I made eye contact. Some guy hoisted me up on his shoulders so I could take better photos with my 35mm MInolta...I don't have any way to show you my photos..a few are in a book called " Love You Live- Rolling Stones, A Fanfare From The Common Fan" by my friend Marilou Regan. I sent her a few slides and she printed them alongside my article.
Where were you, Andrew? Up close, and what do you remember? There was a lot of yellow sunshine going around, fans were carried out on stretchers! I remember that! I remember Mick's entrance in the purple velvet cape, and his sashes around his waist, the white sleeveless jumpsuit, and the eye make-up. That stage was SMALL and so it was very intimate if you were close enough.
Tell me a few of your memories!

Date: August 8, 2015 20:44

I don't remember a white sleeveless jumpsuit. I remember MJ wearing the white gauze pantaloons with thin red stripes, tied at the ankles with red ribbons, as he wore at other TOTA tour dates. That and a separate shirt and jacket, plus cape. That's why I want pictures - to confirm.

For my $10 ticket I was sitting in a $450 Stones area today - center stands, near-side of 50-yard line, Keith's side.

This was something of a historic show, at least among fans, so if you have pix it would be a service to get some digitized and uploaded in the anniversary year.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-08 20:48 by andrews27.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 8, 2015 21:38

I was there. It was a big disappointment after I saw the Buffalo Aud show in June of that year. No comparison.

Date: August 8, 2015 22:36

I disagree. I missed the Aud show but I've seen about all the 1975 show footage that exists, and between that and the Goodnight America boot and the audience reaction and my memories, 8-8-75 was a good show. It was held a lot higher in local legend than Rich Stadium 1978 (I was at that one, also, and it was better than the worst opinions say). Goodnight America documents that 8-8-75 was "sloppy good."

Date: August 9, 2015 01:38

Andrews27, I'm looking at my photos now...the white jumpsuit was often covered with a red & white patterned light-weight jacket and he wore a gorgeous red, black, white and gold sash around his waist...very long. At one point, he took off the jacket to reveal the top that had straps..the sides were very open. In one shot, you can see his ribs.The back was open and multi-colored suspenders held up the pants. He briefly wore a short, black leather jacket over this outfit. He never wore those striped gauzy pants at this show. I have seen photos of him wearing those pants but not at this show. He also wore a black and gold sash/scarf around his neck along with the red multi-colored sash for awhile. Keith was all in black leather with white scarf around his neck. Ronnie was all in red with a jacket over it. Bill was in white jacket and pants with a red shirt under it. I should try to figure out how to post a few of these pictures.cool smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 9, 2015 01:53

Ohhhh mickschix, would love to see! And just think if you got them digital on your computer, you can zoom closer, take a gander while you're bored at work, etc.

Happy Anniversary guys :-)

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: August 9, 2015 03:00

post those!!!!!!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 9, 2015 03:32

andrews27
I disagree. I missed the Aud show but I've seen about all the 1975 show footage that exists, and between that and the Goodnight America boot and the audience reaction and my memories, 8-8-75 was a good show. It was held a lot higher in local legend than Rich Stadium 1978 (I was at that one, also, and it was better than the worst opinions say). Goodnight America documents that 8-8-75 was "sloppy good."

Nope the Aud show was 100 times better. Better crowd. More electricity in the air. The Stones put on a way better show on June 15th. The Rich Stadium show was no were near the excitement as The Aud show.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 9, 2015 03:38

At 18 years old the two Buffalo 1975 shows were my first two. As More Hot Rocks had said. The Aud show was way way better than The Rich Stadium show. I bragged to my friends on how great The Aud show was and that should go to Rich Stadium. It was like night and day. Exciting but not even a close 2nd to The buffalo Aud concert.

Date: August 9, 2015 04:01

mickschix
Andrews27, I'm looking at my photos now...the white jumpsuit was often covered with a red & white patterned light-weight jacket and he wore a gorgeous red, black, white and gold sash around his waist...very long. At one point, he took off the jacket to reveal the top that had straps..the sides were very open. In one shot, you can see his ribs.The back was open and multi-colored suspenders held up the pants. He briefly wore a short, black leather jacket over this outfit. He never wore those striped gauzy pants at this show. I have seen photos of him wearing those pants but not at this show. He also wore a black and gold sash/scarf around his neck along with the red multi-colored sash for awhile. Keith was all in black leather with white scarf around his neck. Ronnie was all in red with a jacket over it. Bill was in white jacket and pants with a red shirt under it. I should try to figure out how to post a few of these pictures.cool smiley

Damn - misguided all these years! I remember the red and gold sashes now.

Did he tie the ankles of that jumpsuit with ribbons? Maybe that's where I got my extrapolation from.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-09 21:30 by andrews27.

Date: August 9, 2015 19:53

I was not at the other Buffalo show so I can't compare but I know electricity when I FEEL IT! Just sayin...and 35Love, I'll try to see about posting them. Maybe if I get them in a file I can email them to you directly. My email at work is djohnson@boxcarmedia.com so if you feel you'd want to email me there, I may be able to get help scanning a few of them. I have no problem sharing my photos!

Date: August 9, 2015 21:26

please someone post photos!!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 9, 2015 21:57

Aftermath of the show as the stage is being taken down. In those days you could actually bring drinks and food into the show with you. No chairs on the floor.

It looks like a moonscape.

[s27.postimg.org]

Date: August 9, 2015 22:59

Thanks for posting that Buffalo7874..love that shot!

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 10, 2015 15:52

My second show. I was among the first of the people let into the stadium and, with my buds, rushed to and claimed our spot at front and center stage. I recall it as a sloppy show, especially Keef, but fantastic and exciting as hell. Got soaked with one of Mick's buckets. Thats a great shot of the aftermath, Buffalo7478! It was a GAS!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 10, 2015 16:13

In all honesty I just listened to Louisville (Aug 4) it sucks just as much (tired band uninspired playing) so maybe they were just eager to go home after 2 full months on the road.

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: August 10, 2015 16:27

Does anyone remember who the opening act(s) were?

Date: August 10, 2015 17:01

Opening acts were as follows: Bobby Womack, The Outlaws and some ass**** who dive-bombed the stadium in a single engine plane..oh, and a guy who blew himself up IN A COFFIN!!! NO LIE! Talk about a weird day! Weird, wacky & wonderful!

Date: August 10, 2015 18:19

Yes, mickschix, it was all those things and more! What a day. We spent the night after the show in the parking lot as our driver was wasted and unable to drive and unwilling to let anyone else drive. The next morning we were the only car to be seen amongst what looked like tons of trash...just like buffalo7478's pic. Wild times....

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: August 10, 2015 18:22

mickschix
Opening acts were as follows: Bobby Womack, The Outlaws and some ass**** who dive-bombed the stadium in a single engine plane..oh, and a guy who blew himself up IN A COFFIN!!! NO LIE! Talk about a weird day! Weird, wacky & wonderful!

Ah yes...Thanks for the memory refresh. Didn't a guy shimmy up a rope that was hanging at about mid-field too? I remember that caused a bit of a ruckus with security trying to get him down. I drove round trip that day from Binghamton NY.

Date: August 10, 2015 20:17

Yes, pdw, I remember that, too. That dude was up there! Amazing that he made it down safely.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:27

pdw
mickschix

Ah yes...Thanks for the memory refresh. Didn't a guy shimmy up a rope that was hanging at about mid-field too? I remember that caused a bit of a ruckus with security trying to get him down. I drove round trip that day from Binghamton NY.

The guy hanging from a wire connecting the two upper decks of Rich Stadium was in 1981

Date: August 10, 2015 20:44

stewedandkeefed
pdw
mickschix

The guy hanging from a wire connecting the two upper decks of Rich Stadium was in 1981

Heard about that one but didn't catch the show that year. Saw them in Syracuse on two consecutive nights in '81. Guess you didn't see the '75 show? As pdw said, there was a guy that climbed way up some kind of rope/line and hung there for a bit.

Date: August 10, 2015 20:53

still no pix? you guys realize it's 2015, right? smiling smiley

Date: August 10, 2015 21:05

Wow, you had quite the experience too, ITSALLOVERNOW!! Are you talking about the dude who blew himself up?? Or the airplane?? It was NUTS! And I am still amazed that the crowd was generally so well behaved, considering the 9 hour WAIT!! I honestly had no idea that it was be 9:15 before the Stones came on..I went into the stadium with only a can of Pepsi...and I was directly in front of that stage ( general admission, remember!?) and I was NOT moving....kind folks gave me water. After the show, once back at the motel, I literallycrawled across thefloor to the fridge and drank an entire quart of orange juice! I was so dehydrated I couldn't walk.
WELLALRIGHT, I do hope to one day post pictures.

Date: August 10, 2015 21:14

pdw
mickschix

Weren't the Eagles supposed to be on the bill, too? Hmmmm…... I remember the Outlaws being pretty darn good.

Date: August 10, 2015 21:18

mickschix
Wow, you had quite the experience too, ITSALLOVERNOW!! Are you talking about the dude who blew himself up?? Or the airplane?? It was NUTS! And I am still amazed that the crowd was generally so well behaved, considering the 9 hour WAIT!! I honestly had no idea that it was be 9:15 before the Stones came on..I went into the stadium with only a can of Pepsi...and I was directly in front of that stage ( general admission, remember!?) and I was NOT moving....kind folks gave me water. After the show, once back at the motel, I literallycrawled across thefloor to the fridge and drank an entire quart of orange juice! I was so dehydrated I couldn't walk.
WELLALRIGHT, I do hope to one day post pictures.

Do you recall the guy hanging from that line way, way up there, Mickschix? Another recollection I have is that the fireworks at the end of the show were the best I had ever seen. And, of course, the opening with "Fanfare…"….breathtaking. The surge from behind was actually a bit frightening.

Date: August 10, 2015 21:25

YES, now that you mention it, I do remember him! I thought " the guy is suicidal!". Yes, the fireworks were brilliant. Didn't you love the version of " You Gotta Move" with Ollie Brown and Billy Preston front and center with the band?! And " Wild Horses" & " Angie" took my breathe away. The surge was NOT fun! 98,000 + but who's counting! I have a pile of newspapers from that day and we look like tiny ants!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home